I have quit minoxidil with no noticeable negative effects!!!

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
That's right, I dropped it fully, but to tell you the truth I was using it pretty half-assed for most of the time that I had been using it. And while using it half-assed I noticed that it pretty much did next to nothing for my hair, main reason for using it half-assed was that I hated how it messed up my hair in the morning. I'm 21 and was using it for the hairline only. Also I am a smoker and I know minoxidil works on the blood flow to scalp, and I have read a little-known legitimate study correlating smoking with mpd in the new york times. Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/health/20real.html. I wish I would have known that when I was 15 I bet my hair and overall skin would be much better looking. But yeah I've also been reading minoxidil may accelerate hair loss.

I also have been using revita shampoo every day and feel that it is awesome, and may be a factor in why nothing happened after I quit minoxidil. Also hair loss doesn't really run in my family, not until the men are at least in their 30s at least, my dad has not started balding until about 5-10 years ago, while all my uncles started losing it earlier. My dad has been a non-smoker all his life while all my uncle smoke so go figure.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Same for me i stopped and didnt suffer any side effects. I too seemed to have begun balding earlier than the rest of my familly. I realise it was down to smoking, bad diet and greasy food. I think it has aged me 5 years.

alexstorm

Reaction score
I used Regaine virtually every day and night for almost three years but after minimal re-growth decided to phase Regaine out of my daily routine. Starting at the begining of the year and stopped using completely about three months ago without any hair loss. Although I have to say that I did replace Regaine with another hair growth stimulant which acts in a similar way as I didn't want to risk losing what little hair that I had gained through Regaine.

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
I always considered it pretty obvious that if one gained little from being on minoxidil then you stand to lose little by stopping....

someone who grew back a load of hair would no doubt have a different story to tell. The catch I suppose is if minoxidil appears to be doing not a lot, but was actually covering up a faster pattern - then by stopping you will probably appear to lose a lot.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
rusty_y2k2 said:
The catch I suppose is if minoxidil appears to be doing not a lot, but was actually covering up a faster pattern - then by stopping you will probably appear to lose a lot.

...and that is the only thing keeping my from stoppping minoxidil.

T

Timi

i was 2Year on minoxidil Foam-Kirkland and so on

minoxidil not working for me
makes my Hair worse shedding shedding all the long Months

finasteride allone was the best Drug for me Hairloss was Zero

i have stoped minoxidil and take finasteride allone
Dutasterid new beginning???

Timi

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been on minoxidil for 1 year now and started finasteride 6 months ago. I stopped minoxidil 2 weeks ago becuase it did nothin but shed the hair that was already there. Would shed something like 30-50 hairs everyday. Although it would regrow, the constant application of minoxidil meant it wold shed quicker. Anyway, I figured it was'nt helping me much so I phased it out. started applying it once a day then once every few days and then quit completely.

Its been 2 weeks on finasteride only now and I have noticed a huge difference in shedding. Now i shed only 5- 10 hairs a day.

The only thing that worries me though is that where is the stimulus to grow new hair going to come from.

Has anyone been on finasteride only without minoxidil and does it regrow hair along the temples. minoxidil has actually f&**ed up my left temple

ThinBrent

Reaction score
To those saying that minoxidil actually made you lose hair: do you have any real evidence, or is it just your instincts telling you this?

I apply a lot of extra minoxidil to one of my temples because it's receding way faster than the other side. It makes me think that the minoxidil is causing it to recede more, but really, I have no way of knowing that. I'm probably just paranoid because the receding causes me to put more on, which makes me think all the minoxidil is causing the receding... it's a vicious cycle.

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
I have definitely receded on my temples since i started minoxidil a year ago. Its been almost 3 weeks that I quit minoxidil and my shedding has reduced to just 5-10 hairs a day (30-50 on minoxidil since I started ).

My facial swelling too has reduced and not to mention the dark circles which are much better now. I am on the 6 month mark with finpecia. The hair seems to have thickened up in the middle a bit but no regrowth is worrying me.

If I can get some regrowth/thickening around temples only on finasteride then I would not like to go back on minoxidil.

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairloss is such a lottery I wish I had never started trying to stop it. If I'm honest over the past 4 years since starting treatments my hair is far worse than it was. Whether it would be worse now if I hadn't tried to stop it is another question. I doubt it would be any different tbh.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
alexstorm said:
I used Regaine virtually every day and night for almost three years but after minimal re-growth decided to phase Regaine out of my daily routine. Starting at the begining of the year and stopped using completely about three months ago without any hair loss. Although I have to say that I did replace Regaine with another hair growth stimulant which acts in a similar way as I didn't want to risk losing what little hair that I had gained through Regaine.

Which hair growth stimulant was that that you replaced it with?

alexstorm

Reaction score
I replaced it with Nanogaine. Its worked well for me since I've been using it (April) Its quite a bit more expensive than Minoxidil but I'd rather pay more for something that gives me good re-growth than save money and use a product that has only given me minimal re-growth.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I too have quit minoxidil after using it for 11 months. It's been 2 weeks since I quit and I've buzzed to compare with earlier pictures.

Positive effects:
- No more flaky, dry scalp.
- No more (extremely) itchy scalp.
- No more red spots and little zits on the scalp.
- Hairs seem to be thickening at the roots. (I'll compare when i buzz in a month with some hair I've kept).
- My hair also looks thicker, because it isn't dried out anymore.
- No more feeling dizzy.
- No more bloated face. My face is really lean again.
- I'm less pale and my dark circles around the eyes are gone.

Negative effects:
- None. My hair count has not been reduced and I'm actually expecting it to go up.

Does this mean minoxidil is a bad product?
No, it's just that the alcohol and propylene glycol made my scalp unhealthy, so the minoxidil compound couldn't do its magic. This is why I grew more and longer hair everywhere on my body except on my scalp. I hope to lose some unwanted bodyhair in the future aswell.

T

Timi

Hello eXVee

has minoxidil worked for you?

take you finasteride?

after 2Years on minoxidil
i must take Beta blocker
i have become Heart Damage

i had never bevor Problems with my Heart

Timi

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think if minoxidil gives you a bloated face and makes you dizzy when applying it, you're better off quitting. Keep us updated exvee.

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
@ JWM
You could be right, however I can only report what I've noticed so far. I'll post an update in another two weeks.

@ Timi
I went on finasteride 3-4 months ago. So far, no sides.
BTW, Did your doctor told you minoxidil is the reason you have high blood pressure?

@ Petchsky
Aside from the affects on my health, having a bloated face, dark circles and sallow skin wasn't doing my looks any good. I'll keep you guys updated.

T

Timi

eXVee

Yes from minoxidil
and my Doctor says i am not allone!! he have many Patient with this Problem after minoxidil

i had never a Problem with my Heart bevor this sh*t
2Years on minoxidil the last 5Month the hell

minoxidil for a long time=Betablocker
Foam was very worse for my Heart
after put on
Fear of death

Timi

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
ExVee I too quit minoxidil exactly after 11 months. I started finasteride exactly 6.5 months ago.
Stopped minoxidil because it caused dark circles and throughout the day would have slight headache and tiredness. Face was always bloated, especially the cheeks and around the chin

So much so that i had to see the doctor for the headache and tiredness. At that time its did'nt strike me that it could be minoxidil. Got some blood tests done to check for iron deficiency etc. Nothing to worry about, and then a few months later I decided to stop minoxidil.

Its been just over a month without min, the first few weeks were good as the hair stopped falling. When on minoxidil I used to have a constant shed.

So I had to replace minoxidil with some thing else and I did that with TRICOMIN threaphy spray.

However, last week I experienced a major shed. Maybe the 6 month finasteride shed that everyone talks about.....

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE!

It's been a little over two weeks since i last posted and it's been a month since i quit minoxidil.

Negative effects:
- Very minor shed. Only my bald(est) spot looks noticably thinner.

Positive effects:
- The quality of my hair definitely got better. The diameter of individual hairs noticably increased.
- Since a long time, my scalp feels great