I Am Actually Regrowing My Hair + Hairline Without Min Or finasteride (mechanical Stimulation)

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No anti androgen will regrow hair on your hairline. Not finasteride nor dutasteride, neither orally or topically. That battle you can't win. Only through vasodilation (laser therapy or oral/topical minoxidil) will you be able to regrow fine hairs on it. In my 17 years of 10 FUE surgeries, medication and research I have never seen it happen. You can only thicken up what is there significantly through mesotherapy with dutasteride and other vasdilators.

Topical dutasteride is 50 euros a month, if you apply it every 2 weeks the bottle will last you 6 months or more. However. I recommend using it for 2 moths only has the molecule could degrade quickly and lose his potency. My last dose was 3 weeks ago and still, zero hair loss.

I would never touch oral dutasteride, much less if you have been struggling with brainfog (I was as well) and depression. It will crush your DHT levels to zero and has much as some idiots say you don't need it you do, the trick is to have a low DHT for normal cognitive and sexual function. Topical Dutasteride decreased by serum DHT by just 40%, not 95% as when taken orally thus I have no side effects.

The 5 alpha reductase enzye happens in the prostate AND in hair follicles. You only want it stopping the convertion to DHT on the second one and leave the rest alone.

Plus, oral dutasteride and finasteride can lead to Polymorphism, partially messing up your androgen receptors which is also known as post finasteride syndrome. It's funny that people say is crap or untrue when big pharma companies are working on medication to reverse it (already in phase 2 trials.)

I don't have it, thankfully, but that does not mean it can't happen

My advice, get off oral crap. It's 2020, there are more efficient and safe ways to fight hair loss. PM if you want, I'll be happy to help
You still have a 40% reduction in serum DHT despite applying the topical Duta just once per month?
Thats just nuts. I was thinking about replicating a oral dutasteride regimen and putting 0.5mg of dutasteride on my scalp every week, which would barely amount to 0.05mg of dutasteride per day.
How much dutasteride/ml is your product?

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been looking at studies for days now and I've decided to hold off on dutasteride for the time being until I can conclude how much more dangerous it actually is than finasteride. I can live with impaired penile function but not impaired brain function. That's my biggest concern with starting the Avodart I already got prescribed. Studies show rather inconclusive answers and most controls don't show statistically significant differences in regards to depression which leads me to believe it's safe in low doses. I'm not convinced how safe continued dutasteride use is long-term but available studies show it's safe. Nearly all of the studies relating to neurosteroid levels I've found have all been mice model studies which means it doesn't necessarily translate to humans which seriously has me on the fence with dutasteride. For the benefit of some minor-moderate scalp regrowth and thinning of body hair etc the risk of impaired brain function and depression doesn't seem like a logical risk without assessing further studies. I'd really love to inhibit DHT more because it has done my body a lot of good and made me so much more confident with myself as it helped target a lot of my insecurities. I'd just like to that without having to indirectly inhibit DHT by inhibiting 5AR.

I've been doing a little research into nonsteroidal 5AR inhibitors and came across bicalutamide and darolutamide which seem quite interesting. I still need to look into them further but these seem like potentially safer options. The only issues are they are harder to get and more expensive plus they are quite new with limited studies meaning there could be a whole range of unforeseen side effects.

I suppose for now I will continue experimenting with a more intense scalp massage that is also a bit easier to perform along with bringing out the Dermaroller again which I haven't touched since 2018 to test the regrowth capabilities versus a pen.

LeeVanCleef

My Regimen
Reaction score
First time reading your thread. Inspiring progress and it's good to have such a detailed account of your journey. Your hair looks pretty thick and healthy. What do you think helped improve your overall hair quality? I'm trying to grow mine long despite receding (nw3) but my hair just doesn't look as thick and healthy as I'd like. Even on the non-male pattern baldness areas like the sides, it's just kinda fine and frazzled looking and not growing like it used to. I have a good diet and don't over-shampoo so I can't figure out what to do. I honestly wouldn't care about my receded temples if it was surrounded my strong hair.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright a more exciting post as it's the first time I've had some real solid progress in quite a long time, nothing of real cosmetic benefit but I've got an abundance of vellus hairs to grow all over my left temple. In the past I had this too although it was on my right temple which was often the one I'd experiment on and was a good amount more receded than the left. Now while these may only be vellus hairs I think it means something a lot greater, firstly it means I should theoretically be able to grow my hairline out, especially when combined with other treatments. This area was slick bald so any decent growth of vellus hairs is impressive. Now how did I achieve this? Massages. I'll be honest, I've been incredibly lazy with the massages especially after starting finasteride. It's just a lot of effort, it hurts my hands a little and it's time consuming so I often don't find the motivation to do it. My approach to massages is like my approach to exercise, it's very off and on. Lately though I've been exclusively massaging the left temple because it's faster and easier and it will finally allow me to see how much of an impact it's having. I'm 1.5 years finasteride and I haven't seen anything like this so it has to undoubtedly be the massages. I've just been watching them slowly grow this past month and they finally hit a point where they are visible clearly in the mirror and photograph, I'm really hoping they keep growing and eventually turn terminal for a nice update

This is more of an idea than anything factual but awhile ago I was looking into filler to treat acne scars and interestingly filler actually has permanent effects on the skin inducing a few processes caused by the stretching forces which reminded me a lot of the one massage study we have which specifically states "increased hair thickness by inducing stretching forces". Obviously it shouldn't be taken so literally but I do have a slight hunch that it could be more like scalp stretching rather than scalp massaging depending how that interprets in your mind.

I've been very forceful with my massages lately, forcefully pinching and pulling my skin. I was always pretty forceful with my massages but I always described it as you need to massage deeply and forcefully. But lately when i've gotten my skin loose enough I grip onto it and pull it out with the strength of my arm. When my hand gets tired I often just pinch the skin and hold it for some time, 30-60 secs? I also use my index and thumb to sort of twist as I massage. If you don't massage for awhile your scalp seems to harden up and it's extremely difficult to even pinch your scalp so when my scalp is harder from when I've been lazy I often use both my hands to pinch and massage my scalp until it's soft, once it's all massaged the scalp skin is actually quite soft and can easily be pinched with minimal force using your two fingers. The fact the scalp hardens back up over time is one of the major reasons I find it difficult to consistently massage because as soon as I take a break my scalp gets incredibly hard and difficult to massage again and it takes quite a long time to get it into that soft state. When I was experimenting with just massaging the left temple I noticed the skin on the massaged temple was a lot softer and felt closer to the skin on my face whereas the right temple which hadn't been massaged in quite some time was more leathery, hard and smooth.

Random odd anecdote but when my left temple was super soft one night after I woke up from sleeping forcefully in my pillow where my left temple was squished I actually had pins and needles in my left temple which was a first and an extremely odd sensation, I don't know the reason for this and it's not something I can exactly look up but I think it could potentially be a positive sign.

Now I'm still not massaging everyday as I'm not always in the mood but I'm trying my hardest to consistently massage and stay motivated, I'm really hoping this leads to something good, if not I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. my hair is overall a lot thicker and healthier so now it's just a matter of filling in my hairline and getting some extra density on my crown.

edit. the 4th pic I posted is from a week ago, the rest were taken today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200311-081059_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200311-081059_Gallery.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 981
  • Screenshot_20200311-081512_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200311-081512_Gallery.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 931
  • Screenshot_20200311-081929_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200311-081929_Gallery.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 953
  • Screenshot_20200311-081304_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200311-081304_Gallery.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 931

Bornwithacurse225

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright a more exciting post as it's the first time I've had some real solid progress in quite a long time, nothing of real cosmetic benefit but I've got an abundance of vellus hairs to grow all over my left temple. In the past I had this too although it was on my right temple which was often the one I'd experiment on and was a good amount more receded than the left. Now while these may only be vellus hairs I think it means something a lot greater, firstly it means I should theoretically be able to grow my hairline out, especially when combined with other treatments. This area was slick bald so any decent growth of vellus hairs is impressive. Now how did I achieve this? Massages. I'll be honest, I've been incredibly lazy with the massages especially after starting finasteride. It's just a lot of effort, it hurts my hands a little and it's time consuming so I often don't find the motivation to do it. My approach to massages is like my approach to exercise, it's very off and on. Lately though I've been exclusively massaging the left temple because it's faster and easier and it will finally allow me to see how much of an impact it's having. I'm 1.5 years finasteride and I haven't seen anything like this so it has to undoubtedly be the massages. I've just been watching them slowly grow this past month and they finally hit a point where they are visible clearly in the mirror and photograph, I'm really hoping they keep growing and eventually turn terminal for a nice update

This is more of an idea than anything factual but awhile ago I was looking into filler to treat acne scars and interestingly filler actually has permanent effects on the skin inducing a few processes caused by the stretching forces which reminded me a lot of the one massage study we have which specifically states "increased hair thickness by inducing stretching forces". Obviously it shouldn't be taken so literally but I do have a slight hunch that it could be more like scalp stretching rather than scalp massaging depending how that interprets in your mind.

I've been very forceful with my massages lately, forcefully pinching and pulling my skin. I was always pretty forceful with my massages but I always described it as you need to massage deeply and forcefully. But lately when i've gotten my skin loose enough I grip onto it and pull it out with the strength of my arm. When my hand gets tired I often just pinch the skin and hold it for some time, 30-60 secs? I also use my index and thumb to sort of twist as I massage. If you don't massage for awhile your scalp seems to harden up and it's extremely difficult to even pinch your scalp so when my scalp is harder from when I've been lazy I often use both my hands to pinch and massage my scalp until it's soft, once it's all massaged the scalp skin is actually quite soft and can easily be pinched with minimal force using your two fingers. The fact the scalp hardens back up over time is one of the major reasons I find it difficult to consistently massage because as soon as I take a break my scalp gets incredibly hard and difficult to massage again and it takes quite a long time to get it into that soft state. When I was experimenting with just massaging the left temple I noticed the skin on the massaged temple was a lot softer and felt closer to the skin on my face whereas the right temple which hadn't been massaged in quite some time was more leathery, hard and smooth.

Random odd anecdote but when my left temple was super soft one night after I woke up from sleeping forcefully in my pillow where my left temple was squished I actually had pins and needles in my left temple which was a first and an extremely odd sensation, I don't know the reason for this and it's not something I can exactly look up but I think it could potentially be a positive sign.

Now I'm still not massaging everyday as I'm not always in the mood but I'm trying my hardest to consistently massage and stay motivated, I'm really hoping this leads to something good, if not I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. my hair is overall a lot thicker and healthier so now it's just a matter of filling in my hairline and getting some extra density on my crown.

wow I didn’t wanna believe it until I saw the pics you really think massaging works? I won’t massage spots with hair cause it’ll get worse but I’ll massage the skin near it.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wow I didn’t wanna believe it until I saw the pics you really think massaging works? I won’t massage spots with hair cause it’ll get worse but I’ll massage the skin near it.
It's not like I just regrew my entire hairline but these vellus hairs after a long time without any major progress seem extremely promising, I still need to get them into a terminal state so we'll need to see but this is a great step forward.

I'm only massaging my temple because I am lazy and it's time consuming, you'll likely shed a few extra hairs massaging your entire head but don't be scared about losing them since they should grow back thicker. Theoretically the more you massage the better.

Bornwithacurse225

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not like I just regrew my entire hairline but these vellus hairs after a long time without any major progress seem extremely promising, I still need to get them into a terminal state so we'll need to see but this is a great step forward.

I'm only massaging my temple because I am lazy and it's time consuming, you'll likely shed a few extra hairs massaging your entire head but don't be scared about losing them since they should grow back thicker. Theoretically the more you massage the better.

I’d be careful people on Reddit said massaging made hair worse they massaged their hair out.

is it possible the smaller hairs just came from starting finasteride?

eivbisi

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you massage? i started to do it last week but i dont know if i do the right technique

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you massage? i started to do it last week but i dont know if i do the right technique
Deep and forcefully, use both hands if needed but deeply massage into your scalp and if its loose enough pinch and pull it forcefully without damaging your hair.
Buy a Hitachi electric massager
I've looked at electronic options and I'm very doubtful they'd work well, I just don't think there is anything that can massage deeply and forcefully enough as your hands especially without damaging your hair. I don't want people to interpret this incorrectly but it's more like scalp stretching than scalp massaging.

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

congrats man, seems like massage definitely helped there

LeeVanCleef

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d be careful people on Reddit said massaging made hair worse they massaged their hair out.

is it possible the smaller hairs just came from starting finasteride?

Yeah, I am experiencing this. I can see that my temples have taken a hit since I started massaging in Oct. Maybe the hairs were already on their way out, but my receding pattern has moved inwards a bit. Weirdly though the massage has really thickened up my crown, which is strange.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Took about 2-3 weeks but some of the vellus hairs are actually starting to go terminal but they are very small and thin, it won't mean a lot if I can't get them into a healthy terminal state but this all looks extremely promising. It's worth noting again that this is my left temple, the majority of my past pictures were my right temple and I never had a lot of regrowth on the left but it was less receded than the right. You can't see vellus hairs really in flash photos but running my fingers across my left temple allows me to feel on the fuzz of the hairs, more fuzz than I've ever felt before.

I don't know the full extent of the massages but this all seems extremely impressive, I've got lots of little small observations too which is interesting but I don't want to make the post too big. Best see if these results hold up in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-125046_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200401-125046_Gallery.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 704
  • Screenshot_20200402-015226_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-015226_Gallery.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 694
  • Screenshot_20200402-015346_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-015346_Gallery.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 717

theotherusero

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know the full extent of the massages but this all seems extremely impressive, I've got lots of little small observations too which is interesting but I don't want to make the post too big. Best see if these results hold up in the future.

First of all congrats on your gain. You seem like a nice guy, I'm happy for you.
I read all your thread and started massaging, in addition to dermastamping, I'm trying to follow the follica protocol (every 2 weeks 0.75 mm very high stamping density).
I'm very interested in hearing about your observations.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was actually looking for direct side profile hairline shots to compare to my hairline now but it was taking forever searching through all my pics. My hairline has moved forward a lot, my hairline used to begin at exactly level with my ear and now it's a good 3-4cm forward and those little side parts that come forward with thin hair has changed shaped and grown thicker. I'll try to get pictures to demonstrate it in the future.

I did stumble upon this picture instead though which shows a pretty effective gain, the first picture was taken a year and a couple of months ago which is after some decent regrowth and the second was taken this morning. This is also my right temple, not my left like in the above pictures. Honestly felt like my hairline had barely moved but I just had an inkling of a feeling it looked a lot better but I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. Hairline has filled in quite a lot and it actually turns out those smaller little hairs actually turned into fully grown terminal hairs. I tried my best to get the same angle etc and used the scar to orientate the shot.

Attachments

• 20190202_103056.jpg
    20190202_103056.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 680
  • Screenshot_20200409-022754_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-022754_Gallery.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 701

wishkid

My Regimen
Reaction score
If those photos are 1.5 years apart and you've been on finasteride for 1.5 years why do you attribute the regrowth to massaging?

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If those photos are 1.5 years apart and you've been on finasteride for 1.5 years why do you attribute the regrowth to massaging?
Because that difference was on my right temple, my massage experiments these past few months have been on my left temple and I never saw much regrowth at all on the left but it was my less receded temple. Now after doing the massages I'm seeing vellus hairs sprouting up and going longer and I'm beginning to see terminal hairs starting to sprout out.

Basing off of one study I'm fairly convinced that the stretching forces in the scalp via the massage quite literally change the gene expression in the scalp/skin into ones that favour hair growth. So with a combination of treatments it could be a very beneficial part to the regrowth process.

People also need to remember I had regrowth before finasteride and I've been slowly coming back from a NW4.5

Attachments

• H.PNG
    H.PNG
    566.1 KB · Views: 1,342