Hypotension From Oral Minoxidil (urgent)

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would you say drinking it may have the same effects? And, did it thicken your facial hair or lashes?
Have no idea about drinking it but lots of guys here have had great results doing that.
Beard grows thicker and faster as well as body hair, but having to trim my body hair once every couple weeks is hardly an issue when it does such wonders for the hair on my head.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have no idea about drinking it but lots of guys here have had great results doing that.
Beard grows thicker and faster as well as body hair, but having to trim my body hair once every couple weeks is hardly an issue when it does such wonders for the hair on my head.

When did you start noticing regrowth? And did you have an initial shed?

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you start noticing regrowth? And did you have an initial shed?
I noticed improvements after around 5/6 weeks, so I stopped finasteride to see if I could maintain it just with the minoxidil. That was 6 months ago and so far so good.Ive stopped taking finasteride before when I wasnt using oral minoxidil and my hair started shedding badly after just 6 weeks.
And no I didnt have a shed after starting oral minoxidil.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrong.I used topical for 4 years it did nothing. Been on oral for a year and it's the best thing I've ever used, my hair is darker and thicker than ever, I dont even need finasteride anymore.Oral minoxidil is king.

You need to add tretinoin, cause it increase the enzyme that convert minoxidil into active minoxidil.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed improvements after around 5/6 weeks, so I stopped finasteride to see if I could maintain it just with the minoxidil. That was 6 months ago and so far so good.Ive stopped taking finasteride before when I wasnt using oral minoxidil and my hair started shedding badly after just 6 weeks.
And no I didnt have a shed after starting oral minoxidil.

Thanks for the information. I have ordered some, and I'm thinking of starting with 2.5mg/day. Do you think that dosage is good?

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I have ordered some, and I'm thinking of starting with 2.5mg/day. Do you think that dosage is good?
I'd start with 5 and if you notice any heart related sides go down to 2.5. Most guys seem to tolerate 5 very well.

j4r0d

Reaction score
The topical is butt sh*t in comparison to oral

I second that, minoxidil oral is far superior than topical at least for me. Definitely make my hair darker and thicker. Though I had to quit it and go back to topical because of oral minoxidil strong side effect. For me it ruins my quality of sleep. I tried multiple times to stop then take again minoxidil oral and for long period of time, always the same impact on my sleep quality: hard to fall asleep and wake up very often. As a result my face look like sh*t and I got stronger dark cicles than ever. Too bad as the result on my hair is quite impressive (diffuse thinner NW2 here).
Dizziness was also experienced, but not a big issue I would say.

Nsas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I second that, minoxidil oral is far superior than topical at least for me. Definitely make my hair darker and thicker. Though I had to quit it and go back to topical because of oral minoxidil strong side effect. For me it ruins my quality of sleep. I tried multiple times to stop then take again minoxidil oral and for long period of time, always the same impact on my sleep quality: hard to fall asleep and wake up very often. As a result my face look like sh*t and I got stronger dark cicles than ever. Too bad as the result on my hair is quite impressive (diffuse thinner NW2 here).
When you had to quit, did you maintain the regrowth since you went straight to topical?

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

How much did you take?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
The topical is butt sh*t in comparison to oral
Lol, there is not a single study showing this, in this 40 years old drug. It is just a hype .
Do you really thing, that after 40 years, they suddendly discover that oral works better than topical, when it was used as an oral drug in the first place ? lol

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been taking oral minoxidil for around 4 months now to combat my diffuse thinning. Although it’s somewhat working, recently my blood pressure has gone way down & I’ve developed hypotension from it. Has anyone else experienced this? I haven’t seen a doctor yet, because my parents think it’ll get better soon now that I’m off it & that I’m overreacting.

I do want to hear feedback from people who have experienced this firsthand though. I feel faint, dizzy, lightheaded, tired, & can feel my heart beating very heavily at times. I think I’ve been experiencing this for around 6 days now & have been off minoxidil for 5.

If you have been having any of these side effects then stop. stop stop stop,

I dont know how safe oral minoxidil is and Its not worth it for your health thats all I can say

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, there is not a single study showing this, in this 40 years old drug. It is just a hype .
Do you really thing, that after 40 years, they suddendly discover that oral works better than topical, when it was used as an oral drug in the first place ? lol

I don’t give a sh*t about studies. There isn’t many studies about estradiol providing regrowth, yet we know it’s far more superior than finasteride. Sorry but I don’t trust the opinion of someone who uses spironolactone cream. Literally every single person who has used it orally has better results than it being used as a topical, even my dermatologists said oral minoxidil works significantly better than the topical

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

What dose?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

Im having problems with sleep even with lots of stuff to make you sleepy, im dealing with other problems right now i put it down to but oral min might also be hindering my sleep if you are having problems with it in that regard. I don't think it's the culprit tbh but something i will keep an eye on. I take 10mg, going to cut it down to 5mg.

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am taking oral minoxidil (via liquid).

I have been taking it since October 14th, so just over 3 months.

My hair does seem slightly thicker, but def nowhere near where I want it to be. I have taken topical in the past (around 6 months) which resulted in approximately two vellus hairs. I'd say it's def more effective than topical and a hell of a lot more convenient.

Full disclaimer though, I take a very large dose, half a ml of liquid, 25mg once a day. I do not recommend this for most people.

Regarding side effects, my blood pressure is actually normal now. I had a very high resting heart rate before taking minoxidil, that hasn't changed, currently 83 BPM as of writing this.

When I first started it definitely increased my BPM (mid 90's), and I could literally feel my heart beats, but it seems to have normalized. This could be due to quitting alcohol and might be completely unrelated to minoxidil, but the palpitations were definitely due to minoxidil but they were gone in roughly two weeks.

I also have noticed two patches of hair on my arms close to my hands and my sideburns have gotten thicker (arms were relatively hairless, still kind of is, but when you grow hair on a bare patch it's probably a lot more notable).

I can't tell if my facial hair is growing more, as I've always been lazy when it comes to shaving, was kind of hoping it would fill in some patches but that didn't happen and I still can't grow a beard.

It is hard to tell if I gained weight, as last year I was drinking excessively and gained 10kg (before the minoxidil) but also quit drinking around the same time I started minoxidil, so have actually lost a lot of weight. I would say the water weight is def there though, as my body quickly sheds weight but this time it seems the last few kilos are a bit more stubborn, that might just be getting older though, who knows.

I do have photos, though they aren't very helpful as I shaved my head just before starting minoxidil whilst now its grown out so hard to compare.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am taking oral minoxidil (via liquid).

I have been taking it since October 14th, so just over 3 months.

My hair does seem slightly thicker, but def nowhere near where I want it to be. I have taken topical in the past (around 6 months) which resulted in approximately two vellus hairs. I'd say it's def more effective than topical and a hell of a lot more convenient.

Full disclaimer though, I take a very large dose, half a ml of liquid, 25mg once a day. I do not recommend this for most people.

Regarding side effects, my blood pressure is actually normal now. I had a very high resting heart rate before taking minoxidil, that hasn't changed, currently 83 BPM as of writing this.

When I first started it definitely increased my BPM (mid 90's), and I could literally feel my heart beats, but it seems to have normalized. This could be due to quitting alcohol and might be completely unrelated to minoxidil, but the palpitations were definitely due to minoxidil but they were gone in roughly two weeks.

I also have noticed two patches of hair on my arms close to my hands and my sideburns have gotten thicker (arms were relatively hairless, still kind of is, but when you grow hair on a bare patch it's probably a lot more notable).

I can't tell if my facial hair is growing more, as I've always been lazy when it comes to shaving, was kind of hoping it would fill in some patches but that didn't happen and I still can't grow a beard.

It is hard to tell if I gained weight, as last year I was drinking excessively and gained 10kg (before the minoxidil) but also quit drinking around the same time I started minoxidil, so have actually lost a lot of weight. I would say the water weight is def there though, as my body quickly sheds weight but this time it seems the last few kilos are a bit more stubborn, that might just be getting older though, who knows.

I do have photos, though they aren't very helpful as I shaved my head just before starting minoxidil whilst now its grown out so hard to compare.

There is no reason to take such a high dosage, i have taken up to 20mg before and results were no different than at 10mg, im even planning on cutting that down to 5mg, i think 5mg the optimal dosage for good results and minimal sides

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
The plan was to lower it after a year, saying that though the 'side effects' are actually good for me, I had hypertension before, and the elevated BPM subsided after the first two weeks and returned to baseline (80-85bpm which is still quite high).

I also read about how minoxidil actually promotes elastin, which is a nice bonus. I do plan to get a smart watch which claims to test for atrial fibrillation as I don't have an at home EKG, but I daresay I think I am actually 'healthier' with minoxidil solely due to the blood pressure.

Bit worried about dropping dosage now before giving it at least 6 months, especially as I feel perfectly fine. Though it is something that will happen at some point.

The initial thought process was, go gung ho with it, whilst monitoring blood pressure and heart rate, get the best results I possibly can from it and then taper back. Definitely not advisable for most people but as I was already a likely candidate for the drug anyways I figured that I might as well.

Did you notice any hair loss when cutting back? How long have you been taking, and what are your results like?

I noticed on your profile that you take spironolactone as well, I was considering adding this to get rid of the pesky last few pounds (if it is indeed water weight), and lowering my BPM a tad. I am not currently taking any anti androgens and that one seemed ideal for my current situation.

Last edited:

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you think we are all just lying? What reason would we have for doing that?
The fact is topical does very little for the majority of people unless you have the enzyme needed for it to work.oral is one of the best drugs around for hairloss.I cant actually believe how good its been I wish id started it years ago.More and more hairtransplant doctors are starting to prescribe it too

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(19)30685-1/fulltext