Hypotension From Oral Minoxidil (urgent)

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been taking oral minoxidil for around 4 months now to combat my diffuse thinning. Although it’s somewhat working, recently my blood pressure has gone way down & I’ve developed hypotension from it. Has anyone else experienced this? I haven’t seen a doctor yet, because my parents think it’ll get better soon now that I’m off it & that I’m overreacting.

I do want to hear feedback from people who have experienced this firsthand though. I feel faint, dizzy, lightheaded, tired, & can feel my heart beating very heavily at times. I think I’ve been experiencing this for around 6 days now & have been off minoxidil for 5.

el_duterino

Reaction score
how much are you using ?
use less

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how much are you using ?
use less

I’m going to get a lot of criticism for this, but I experimented w drinking topical minoxidil. I did 4 drops a day. 2 morning, 2 night. Which was 1 ml.
I also used kirkland’s which doesn’t have anything toxic in it. I think this still would have been the case, even w regular tablet but who knows.

All I know now is that I’m experiencing postural hypotension. Whenever I stand up or get up, I immediately feel faint, dizzy, & fatigued. Sit up too long and I can even feel my heart beating heavily. I’m 17 by the way

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m going to get a lot of criticism for this, but I experimented w drinking topical minoxidil. I did 4 drops a day. 2 morning, 2 night. Which was 1 ml.
I also used kirkland’s which doesn’t have anything toxic in it. I think this still would have been the case, even w regular tablet but who knows.

All I know now is that I’m experiencing postural hypotension. Whenever I stand up or get up, I immediately feel faint, dizzy, & fatigued. Sit up too long and I can even feel my heart beating heavily. I’m 17 by the way

you’ll be fine. I’ve been playing with oral minoxidil and when I was taking higher doses, I got that dizzy/fatigue/slow hard heartbeat stuff too. It will go away

el_duterino

Reaction score
1 ml is one gram or 0.8 gr for alcohol
5% is 50mg of minoxidil.. thats a lot !

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

On what planet is 4 drops equivalent to 1mL? It's about 20 drops/ml so you'd be on about 10mg/day.

bibi1010

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just created an account to answer you, I am a diffuse thinner too and on oral minoxidil since 3 years now, 0,
2,5mg morning and 2,5mg before bed.

Best decision of my life, no more hair loss and pretty thick hair, but there is few negative points :
- you may have some sheddings sometimes (but it always grow back)
- if you lowering your dosage or forget to take your pills for a day or two you will definitely have a repercussion or trigger some mini sheddings
- got some few sides effect, rapid heart beat, hypotension but rapidely went away as my body get used of the drug
- but some sides dont went away, my facial hair grow like crazy its pretty annoying (have to shave every 3 days or less) and have thick eyebrows and VERY long eyelashes like girls lol

But hey I was on rogaine for years before that and I will never come back to it, putting that sh*t on your hair every morning and night was REALLY annoying, and Im a Norwood 2,5 diffuse thinner so I had to put a ton of product making my hair greasy and unable to style then.

In my opinion I would suggest you to continu some few month to see if the sides go away, dont drink coffee or energy drink and dont take arginine with it cause it would drop your blood pressure even more.

You can find studies showing the safety of low dose of minoxidil (eg 5mg daily for men and 2,5mg for women) on google.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been taking oral minoxidil for around 4 months now to combat my diffuse thinning. Although it’s somewhat working, recently my blood pressure has gone way down & I’ve developed hypotension from it. Has anyone else experienced this? I haven’t seen a doctor yet, because my parents think it’ll get better soon now that I’m off it & that I’m overreacting.

I do want to hear feedback from people who have experienced this firsthand though. I feel faint, dizzy, lightheaded, tired, & can feel my heart beating very heavily at times. I think I’ve been experiencing this for around 6 days now & have been off minoxidil for 5.

Lol, what do you think it will happen !? it is an strong antihipertension drug ! Oral minoxidil is NOT more effective than topical .

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, what do you think it will happen !? it is an strong antihipertension drug ! Oral minoxidil is NOT more effective than topical .

Maybe not more effective than dermarolling+topical(who knows) but way easier to deal with. Plus studies have already shown about 2.5mg to 5mg of topical goes systematic when applied to the whole of the scalp, as long as you keep the dosage low i think its benefits outweigh any risks.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 ml is one gram or 0.8 gr for alcohol
5% is 50mg of minoxidil.. thats a lot !

typo I used 2 drops 2x a day.
= 10 mg total

this guy did the math somewhere on here. Guess I’ve been doing this since early July so it’s been around 6 months now & not 4. Results have been pretty disappointing. Vellus hairs never grow thicker & I’m pretty below baseline. Kinda at the point where I’m accepting of it though
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ical-minoxidil-questions.123652/#post-1846821

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just created an account to answer you, I am a diffuse thinner too and on oral minoxidil since 3 years now, 0,
2,5mg morning and 2,5mg before bed.

Best decision of my life, no more hair loss and pretty thick hair, but there is few negative points :
- you may have some sheddings sometimes (but it always grow back)
- if you lowering your dosage or forget to take your pills for a day or two you will definitely have a repercussion or trigger some mini sheddings
- got some few sides effect, rapid heart beat, hypotension but rapidely went away as my body get used of the drug
- but some sides dont went away, my facial hair grow like crazy its pretty annoying (have to shave every 3 days or less) and have thick eyebrows and VERY long eyelashes like girls lol

But hey I was on rogaine for years before that and I will never come back to it, putting that sh*t on your hair every morning and night was REALLY annoying, and Im a Norwood 2,5 diffuse thinner so I had to put a ton of product making my hair greasy and unable to style then.

In my opinion I would suggest you to continu some few month to see if the sides go away, dont drink coffee or energy drink and dont take arginine with it cause it would drop your blood pressure even more.

You can find studies showing the safety of low dose of minoxidil (eg 5mg daily for men and 2,5mg for women) on google.

I plan on giving it another go after a month. The hypotension is probably worse than you think in my case. I’ll be reducing my dosage in half.

& thanks for letting me know about the coffee and energy drinks. I’ve been doing to exact opposite to combat it this past week. Hopefully I’ll get results like yours with time.

+ yeah the sides are pretty annoying, nose hairs, ear hairs, vellus forehead hairs, facial, little back hair, & pretty much everywhere. Also sometimes I gain like 4-6 pounds of water weight in 1-2 days so I’d have to take around 3-4 days off to lose it

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you’ll be fine. I’ve been playing with oral minoxidil and when I was taking higher doses, I got that dizzy/fatigue/slow hard heartbeat stuff too. It will go away

Thanks I’ve been reading a lot of things on the internet that suggest otherwise, but this is somewhat reassuring

bibi1010

My Regimen
Reaction score
I plan on giving it another go after a month. The hypotension is probably worse than you think in my case. I’ll be reducing my dosage in half.

& thanks for letting me know about the coffee and energy drinks. I’ve been doing to exact opposite to combat it this past week. Hopefully I’ll get results like yours with time.

+ yeah the sides are pretty annoying, nose hairs, ear hairs, vellus forehead hairs, facial, little back hair, & pretty much everywhere. Also sometimes I gain like 4-6 pounds of water weight in 1-2 days so I’d have to take around 3-4 days off to lose it

Oh yeah got some water retention too but went away also, but if you take 10mg I think its too much and yeah you will definitely have more sides.
I would advise you to buy some oral minoxidil pills and take 5mg a day and not drink the lotion.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe not more effective than dermarolling+topical(who knows) but way easier to deal with. Plus studies have already shown about 2.5mg to 5mg of topical goes systematic when applied to the whole of the scalp, as long as you keep the dosage low i think its benefits outweigh any risks.

Sorry, but you are so wrong.
Not a single study show that oral is more effective than topical.
Plus, you can increase the minoxidil active if you use tretinoin ( it increase the enzyme that convert minoxidil into active minoxidil ) .

There is not a valid reason, beside some internet gurus to use oral minoxidil vs topical.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wait til you are better before experimenting with anything no matter what it is. Common sense in my opinion. Cant grow hair 6 ft under.

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrong.I used topical for 4 years it did nothing. Been on oral for a year and it's the best thing I've ever used, my hair is darker and thicker than ever, I dont even need finasteride anymore.Oral minoxidil is king.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrong.I used topical for 4 years it did nothing. Been on oral for a year and it's the best thing I've ever used, my hair is darker and thicker than ever, I dont even need finasteride anymore.Oral minoxidil is king.

Do you drink it?