Humour me. Do the thyroid test.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
We're a little trigger happy when it comes to medical and surgical treatment in the US. I wouldn't use our standards over the general EU standards when making a decision. The basic medical model in a lot of cases is "If we can save just one life then it totally makes up for the hundreds of thousands who's lives we ruin through unnecessary treatment and side effects."

Hoppi

Reaction score
Well I want to know what is causing it before I start acting on it. Weird thing is my sister seems to have some signs of hypothyroid too, as my dad did. My mum doesn't, so maybe it's genetic down my dad's side.

Who knows, but I'm going to keep researching. And yeah Brains I don't want to act too fast without knowing what it is, because if you do the wrong thing even if it sounds right, it is possible to make it worse ._.

And ok the US ones might be a bit trigger happy but, I wouldn't have really considered thyroid if I wasn't so symptomatic. I want to check my antibodies level before I start making any rash decisions. I'd also like to do it as gently as possible. I mean certain herbs like ashwagandha and schisandra can lift and normalize the thyroid, so perhaps combining them with lignans to smooth my T and E levels might go a long way, as they are adaptogens to help deal with stress too.

What dougfunny said about stress (cortisol) shortening telomeres scared me a bit but, I think the follicles should recover from that as they make their own telomerase. Plus the changes were very rapid so suggest thyroid to me. I am going to do this other stuff before I even CONSIDER lengthening my telomeres as that is slightly dangerous business lol Plus many things I am taking help to maintain telomeres. (I have done a lot of research xD )

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the only thing more annoying than hoppi's wacked out and completely incomprehensible views on hair loss are his rambling, 12+ paragraph posts.

seriously this guy has written more words in this thread than in all of Moby Dick... there's no WAY i'm reading through all that garbage.

kids, look, if you think you have hair loss the first thing you should do is check out dad, uncles, grandpas. if they went bald early, chances are you will too. see, it's called "genetics".

and i have yet to see hoppi EVER not even ONCE say "that's an interesting point of view" he simply disregards/shuts down anyone who disagrees with him yet expects other people to follow along with his failed logic.

this dude has racked up over 700 posts in 2 months. i think someone needs attention.

Jacob

Reaction score
It's only interesting to him if it comes from the person he's quoting in his sig(which doesn't even make sense). Even if it came from others first. He completely ignores suggestions made to him here or via PM.

I was going to start a thread on anti-inflammatory products..but what's the point :dunno:

Hoppi

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying, I ALWAYS take other people's opinions on board as long as they aren't just closed minded and pointless I mean.. I left the pure genetics look on male pattern baldness behind about.. well about a day after I started researching the topic! I'm certainly not going to go back to it!

And my posts are based mostly on science and research. I'm sorry if that scares you.

Jacob

Reaction score
Well I take back a bit of what I said..I found your PM after cleaning out my folders. But I thought you were already using what you were asking about.

Anyway..those threads Hoppi...just kidding...

I would like to see the science and research behind things like EC though and hair loss. I was surprised to see how long that stuff has been talked about and used(well over 2 years)..and most said it's great for overall health..but they were not seeing anything hair-wise.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Well to be honest I'm still in the process of diagnosing myself to see what is wrong. I haven't had my T3 or antibodies checked for example, and that might be useful.

that is actually on the high side. did they test you for anti-thyroid antibodies?

Hoppi

Reaction score
dougfunny said:
Hoppi said:
Well to be honest I'm still in the process of diagnosing myself to see what is wrong. I haven't had my T3 or antibodies checked for example, and that might be useful.

that is actually on the high side. did they test you for anti-thyroid antibodies?

hehe well thank you for like, you know, listening to me for a moment on this one! I know I can be a little overly analytical (just a little ^_^ lol), but there is usually something underneath it all! heh :)

But yes erm, antibodies and things will be my next call. I mean, had I not experienced health niggles like skin and hair changes recently, I may well have not even noticed these little underlying health details, but now I've found them I may as well incorporate them into my overall "balancing" of my body :)

Oh, Jacob, as for Ecklonia Cava, as I understand it is a potent antioxidant and very antimicrobial. I'm not sure what else it does, but with that in mind I would say it's probably best incorporated into a regimen aimed at controlling inflammation in general. Personally I just ensure I get plenty of vitamin D, as that's nice and cheap and I believe also antimicrobial (apparently it encourages the release of an antimicrobial peptide, according to this).

But yeah, so that's my thought on EC! It's a little pricey for me to put in my regimen though I think, particularly when I don't think bacteria is my biggest problem.

Jacob

Reaction score
Well if you ever do start taking EC.. we'll be expecting the research/studies that'll back it up :)

Actually you might want to go with something possibly a bit stronger/better- Ecklonia stolonifera, especially since there doesn't seem to be much hair-growing going on with the other EC. I see a company is now offering to carry it:
Simply the Best is now carrying Algoran-FS at one of the lowest prices on the Internet. Additionally, another form called Ecklonia stolonifera, which is a stronger antioxidant than Ecklonia cava, is sold in bulk form. This is the form I use (in addition to the Algoran-FS) especially in cooking. It’s salty, and slightly bitter. If enough of my readers contact Simply the Best with interest in the bulk form, they will begin selling it by the ounce. Four ounces, at 325mg per day, will last 350 days. (325 mg is just less than an eighth of a tablespoon.)

I'm sure other sources are on the way..

I had posted about this at Regrowth a few years ago:

"A new phlorotannin, named eckstolonol (1), was isolated from the EtOAc soluble fraction of the methanolic extract of the brown alga, Ecklonia stolonifera OKAMURA, along with three known phlorotannins, eckol (2), phlorofucofuroeckol A (3), and dieckol (4). The structure of eckstolonol was identified as 5,8,13,14-tetraoxa-pentaphene-1,3,6,9,11-pentaol on the basis of spectroscopic evidence. The new compound was found to be a radical scavenger on the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical."

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/cpb/51/8/51_1012/_article/-char/en

Oh wait..let me guess. This will be what is used in the product that is coming out...It's new! More powerful! So we have to try it because we don't know, unlike the "regular" EC, what it can do for hair!

I'll (try to) behave.

Happy Easter everyone :)

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
hehe well thank you for like, you know, listening to me for a moment on this one!

well for once you actually decided to rely on proven medical science instead of nonsense. and lo and behold it actually verified your suspicions.

you should see an endocrinologist and discuss your results with him or her. there are many that would be willing to try treating you with a low dose of thyroid hormone to see if it helps.

Hoppi

Reaction score
lol well you have to understand you can't always rely on blood tests, and not everything is on pubmed. Sometimes you just pick up general information as you go, and then gradually discover more and more information and studies to back up what you are learning. I'm just very open minded to things, as long as I have a reason for believing they are likely to be credible.

And there's nothing wrong with things like the basal temperature test for thyroid problems, I mean I wouldn't base an entire diagnosis on it, but if someone comes up particularly low or high and is symptomatic, then there might be a reason to look into it further.

I know I can be sloppy, but I dunno, I find my methods of looking into things like this really pay off! :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
My friend with hypo was saying one potential approach might be to simply take a low dose of synthroid, and see what changes I notice. I'll go on 0.025mg a day and just watch my body, see if my skin improves, my hair texture, my scalp (it got quite dry), etc etc

It will give me a chance to flat out gauge the effects of more T4 on my body. Then I can work out where to go from there.

I will also be looking at things like my nails to see if they get better. I'll keep people posted if they wish :)

EDIT -- Oh sorry dougfunny I didn't fully acknowledge the fact that you made the same suggestion lol

Back then I don't think I fully realized how simple and doable just testing with a low synthroid dose would be, it never occurred to me. I really do still believe the real solution is trying to outline if anything is upsetting the thyroid or your body before taking tablets, such as mercury fillings or something dietary, but as a test, synthroid sounds like a very good idea :) And then ofc if I can't correct my thyroid without medication, then I will use it :)

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Remember to increase the dose slowly and not take more than 50 mgc or so.. or else you can develop a serious heart arrhythmia. It's not a drug to toy around with ;-)

I would recommend checking your pulse before starting to make sure it does not increase significantly. That would be a good warning sign.

And remember too it can take 3 months before you notice any results.

Hoppi

Reaction score
cool man :)

I am mega curious, I seriously do reckon my dad and sister both have signs of hypo too, and I swear I am losing hair over my body a little too O.O

Which suggests hypothyroid or estrogen dominance. Probably the former but.. hmm

I'll definitely stop fiddling with my DHT levels, go on curcumin, resveratrol and ashwagandha, and eat a good, clever diet, which should start to ensure testosterone still is top dog lol

I'll also check my sex hormone levels (and antibodies and stuff) next time I have a blood test.