Humour me. Do the thyroid test.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Excessive betacarotene normally has a slightly orangish tint to it while the excessive bilirubin has a slight green tint to it. Additionally the bilirubin buildup will be more noticeable in the whites of your eyes than would a beta carotene buildup. Thyroid malfunction does not automatically indicate a cause just that something has caused your thyroid to get out of sync.

Also a T4 reading of 16 would be high as well as the normal range for that maxes out at 12, you might want to grab a personal copy of those test results, it's always good to have your own files.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Well Hoppi I have a theory maybe your thyroid is messed up because you are masturbating too much. :dunno:

Hoppi

Reaction score
(From a different forum) said:
If I have understood correctly - people with either a non functional thyroid or peripheral thyroid resistance is prone to constant inflammation within the cells beacuse of the thyroid hormones regulates the activity of the cells mitochondria, responsible for the cells energy production. A non functional thyroid equals mitochondrial dysfunction - the "heart of hairloss". Correct me if I am wrong.

Possible methinks! I'll see what more people on there say :)

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
(From a different forum) said:
If I have understood correctly - people with either a non functional thyroid or peripheral thyroid resistance is prone to constant inflammation within the cells beacuse of the thyroid hormones regulates the activity of the cells mitochondria, responsible for the cells energy production. A non functional thyroid equals mitochondrial dysfunction - the "heart of hairloss". Correct me if I am wrong.

Possible methinks! I'll see what more people on there say :)

Really I think you might notice the following first:

muscle weakness or exercise intolerance,

heart failure or rhythm disturbances,

dementia,

movement disorders,

stroke-like episodes,

deafness,

blindness,

droopy eyelids,

limited mobility of the eyes,

vomiting, and

seizures.

Those are the symptoms of Mitochondrial Disease, not hair loss.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Fanjeera said:
I am rather hyperthyroid and am still balding.

lol I can't quite remember when I said that the more active your thyroid is the more hair you have! hehe

Hyperthyroid can cause hair loss too o_O

and dougfunny work with me here, what I am trying to say is that any kind of inflammation is bad for hair, and also bad for your entire body. Therefore, if something is increasing inflammation such as a thyroid imbalance, that should be something you look at correcting. It's not really something that needs to be analyzed that much, just like "balancing your sex hormones and helping your body reduce DHT" isn't something that needs to be analyzed too much. To me, it's just common sense o_O

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Fanjeera said:
I am rather hyperthyroid and am still balding.

lol I can't quite remember when I said that the more active your thyroid is the more hair you have! hehe

Hyperthyroid can cause hair loss too o_O

and dougfunny work with me here, what I am trying to say is that any kind of inflammation is bad for hair, and also bad for your entire body. Therefore, if something is increasing inflammation such as a thyroid imbalance, that should be something you look at correcting. It's not really something that needs to be analyzed that much, just like "balancing your sex hormones and helping your body reduce DHT" isn't something that needs to be analyzed too much. To me, it's just common sense o_O

well what evidence do you have that your body is suffering from excessive inflammation? do you think you have some sort of auto-immune disease? if so there are tests for that which a doctor can do.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Only because thyroid dysfunction apparently can cause inflammation. I want to correct my thyroid if it is out of balance and keep inflammation, cortisol and excess DHT to a minimum, that's all :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
...Therefore, if something is increasing inflammation such as a thyroid imbalance, that should be something you look at correcting. It's not really something that needs to be analyzed that much, just like "balancing your sex hormones and helping your body reduce DHT" isn't something that needs to be analyzed too much.

Hoppi, I really don't think you're promoting your theories for fighting hair loss very well when you keep using the words "balance" and "imbalance" in such an amateurish way. I cringe whenever I see you do that.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
So, Hoppi: did you get those answers about the Barnes test when you went to see your doctor on Tuesday?

I don't think you ever answered my question here about what your doctor told you last week about his/her opinion of the Barnes test, so this is an official BUMP! :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Hoppi, I really don't think you're promoting your theories for fighting hair loss very well when you keep using the words "balance" and "imbalance" in such an amateurish way. I cringe whenever I see you do that.

lol the only reason I do it is because it encompasses more than saying "hypothyroidism" or even "underactive thyroid". These both imply the actual thyroid itself is at fault, when what it's more likely to be in this case is resistance to thyroid hormones in the body.

The sex hormones thing... how would you put it? I know it's sloppier there as of course you don't want T and E to be BALANCED as such.. maybe.. "healthy" T and E levels?

Oh and yeah the doctor just looked at me confused when I started talking about the Barnes test (no clue what it even was lol), iodine, or anything like that. But then a doctor at this same place told me that stress isn't going to do me any harm. I don't listen to doctors much anymore... heh

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Bryan said:
Oh and yeah the doctor just looked at me confused when I started talking about the Barnes test (no clue what it even was lol), iodine, or anything like that. But then a doctor at this same place told me that stress isn't going to do me any harm. I don't listen to doctors much anymore... heh

right since a someone who is a. much smarter than you and b. studied medicine for years could not possibly know more than you who have read a few papers written by quacks on the internet.

Hoppi

Reaction score
dougfunny said:
right since a someone who is a. much smarter than you and b. studied medicine for years could not possibly know more than you who have read a few papers written by quacks on the internet.

I don't know man, I mean I DO listen to them a bit it's just.. it really depends on the doctor I think. Some are very competent and great, but some are sloppy, some are lazy, and some are under-qualified. Ever played the game Theme Hospital? hehe :)

Aaaanywho! I think in future I'm going to see some holistically trained practitioners as well, like those trained in orthomolecular medicine. What's great about them is they take their time on you and your condition, and really look at you specifically and what could be causing your specific problems.

I find mainstream medicine can be very quick and "one size fits all", and I just would prefer spending a little more but getting a more one-to-one individual kind of healthcare :)

Mainstream medicine isn't BAD as such, but I'll use it as well as other things I think :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
it depends on the person. Just because it's common for guys to lose their hair doesn't mean that it's just something every guy should accept as genetic inevitability. For example, I have no direct relatives on my mum's or dad's side that I know of who started losing a significant amount of hair like I am showing signs of at 24. Plus, coupled with all the other weird symptoms I've been having, it's just.. something feels wrong, you know? Too much is going wrong all at once.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted hehe :)

Also, I was chatting to this girl who said that her blood test ranges were fine too but she is also coming up just 36 degrees, is now fully diagnosed hypothyroid, had similar symptoms to me and is now being treated. It's a complicated thing man, very few things in life are black and white :)

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
it depends on the person. Just because it's common for guys to lose their hair doesn't mean that it's just something every guy should accept as genetic inevitability. For example, I have no direct relatives on my mum's or dad's side that I know of who started losing a significant amount of hair like I am showing signs of at 24. Plus, coupled with all the other weird symptoms I've been having, it's just.. something feels wrong, you know? Too much is going wrong all at once.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted hehe :)

Also, I was chatting to this girl who said that her blood test ranges were fine too but she is also coming up just 36 degrees, is now fully diagnosed hypothyroid, had similar symptoms to me and is now being treated. It's a complicated thing man, very few things in life are black and white :)
Is that what everyone is trying to argue? That it's necessary to have something wrong show up in your blood work in order to be diagnosed? I think some people here need to do their research on the thyroid and related diseases. :whistle:

Oh, and I went to the doctor last Monday and asked about the morning temperature test... she never really referred to it as "the Barnes test", however said she it was part of her arsenal when looking for thyroid complications.

EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe I didn't probe her the right questions, I referred to it as "Barnes", but realistically it's "BASAL TEMPERATURE TEST".... LOL.

At any rate, I have a physical in 3 weeks in which she gets the results back for blood work, and the numbers I record each morning.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I believe Dr. Barnes was the name of the guy who came up with it, oh, and *just looked it up* basal seems to mean like "base level" so the lowest temperature, your "resting" temperature :)

My largest current confusion is establishing what is triggering what.

Either a) my stress levels triggered my thyroid or b) my thyroid triggered my anxiety or c) it's nothing to do with my thyroid, it's actually just stress.

Or yes I suppose d) could be just natural changes, but man this is SUDDEN for natural changes lol

So yeah erm, I need to work it out! I am currently mainly thinking b), as I was experiencing some minor symptoms of thyroid complications as young as 16/17 (cold and colour-changing hands and feet, although I always put this down to genetics or maybe Raynaud's, although I don't quite fit the symptoms for that).

Time will tell eh? :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
My friend (who knows a lot about this, she is hypothyroid) says my TSH is too high and my T4 is a bit low, so I will look into this further! She is suspicious of hypothyroid too.

Oh I hope this is it, SO much. I don't know exactly what impact it has but.. it just has to help doesn't it, fixing this problem! Hell if it just gets my SKIN back to normal it will be an improvement! lol

I will keep the thread posted! =D

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi, what are you taking to deal with your "hypothyroid"?

Just curious. :punk:

Hoppi

Reaction score
Well to be honest I'm still in the process of diagnosing myself to see what is wrong. I haven't had my T3 or antibodies checked for example, and that might be useful. Brian S and the guys who have replied on a thyroid disease forum thing say my TSH is a bit high too. It's 3.5 which is within the 0.4-5.0 range here in the UK, but too high for the US range of 0.4-3.0. Apparently it should be more like 0.8, so I would imagine there is a chance that if I lived in the US, I may be being treated or at least considered for treatment.

I have also noticed/remembered that I have always have quite dry, slightly brittle, prone to splitting fingernails (mild, but noticeable) so that's an interesting point as well.

Thing is like, of course I don't want anything to be wrong with me, but I do fall into the group of individuals that believe that hair loss (particularly while still quite young such as 20s), may often indicate an underlying imbalance (whether hormonal, inflammation, etc). I would rather fix that imbalance and correct my health from the ground up than simply "treat the symptoms", because then I would feel like I was fighting against the current, and also would be subject to my underlying health concerns. I have also learnt my fasting blood glucose is probably a little high, and my red blood cell count is a little low, for example. So I'm going to eat less junk and try to get more iron (or possibly red meat) into my diet.

At the moment I am actually using the same regimen as you Mopless as well as a few other things like lignans, schisandra/ashwagandha and often curcumin and resveratrol - 0.25 finasteride EOD and Nizoral 2%, just because I don't want to lose hair while I'm doing all this, I need quick results as well! I would never deny that the big 3 work, all I'm saying is quite often they may often simply be "treating the symptoms" :)