How's this for experimental: marijuana

SteveO

Reaction score
Follow me here. I'm now 27 and noticed hair loss when I was about 21. By the time I was 23, there was significant receding in the front corners. It was around this time, I started regularly smoking for pot.

Minoxidil's effectiveness is based on its action as a vasodilator. The THC found in marijuana has been found to be a mild vasodilator. I can say pretty confidently I have had very little to no hair loss in the last few years. Do you think my habit has affecting my hair?

newguy2006

Established Member
Reaction score
I smoked MJ every day for about four years, starting at age 18. When I tapered down and eventually quit six months ago, I began rapidly receeding to a NW2 at precisely the same time. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but it did make me wonder. I'm thinking that stress could be the real determiner when it comes to cannabis and hairloss.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I still express, yo I don't smoke weed or cess!
Cause its known to give a brother brain damage,
And brain damage on the mic don't manage nuttin'
But makin a sucker and you equal,
Don't be another sequel!

Express Yourself!
Do it do...
Express Yourself!
Oh do it!

Word to yo mutha.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Fallout Boy said:
false on the brain damage assumptions

Well it sure doesn't do some cats any favours in the short term memory department - call it what you will.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bumping this from the dead, sorry.

For the last few weeks, I've really been wondering about the ability of smoking weed to keep your hair. I have many, many friends that were major potheads for years. During this time, none had any traces of hair loss. As they got older, most quit and behold, many of them started to lose their hair...While the ones that kept smoking, kept their hair.

In fact, 2 of my friends were brothers. One who smoked weed and one that didn't. Guess who lost their hair first? Even more interesting is the fact that once the weed smoking brother stopped, he started losing his hair too.

I think that stress is a huge factor in hair loss of many people. And smoking weed definitely keeps you stress free. I'm not advocating being a stoner by any means, just pointing out my observations.

I think I'm going to do a bit more research on this.

:Lestat:

Reaction score
as i said in my story I smoked pot for 5 years every single day, at least 1 joint every couple of hours. stoped smoking it when i was 21 (23 now) and within 2 weeks loads my hairline just disappered (went from Norwood 2.5 to a 3 possibley more) and had loads miniturized hairs.

since then the miniturized hairs have just got worse & worse. I did have a lot of stress at the the time i quit too but i think a lot was made worse because of quitting.

I definately think smoking it slowed it down for me anyway, i'm Not stoned by the way! :lol:

beaner

Reaction score
IBM said:
:Lestat: said:
smoking weed all the time does not make u a junkie, it makes u a pothead.

What's the difference between junky and pothead?

A junkie is a term used generally to describe a heroin addict or other hardcore drug user.....definitely not in the same league as a pothead

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This really has me curious now. It's so tempting to start "smoking" again...

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
yes i agree i used to smoke on a daily basis.. every single day i used to smoke alot and i mean alot...when i quite i started to lose hair like there is no tomorrow..

but u know i had to quite i was EE major and i flunged and had to switch to finance/accounting major.. so weed and doing good in school dont come together..

but check this out this is very interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum