How To Deal With Scalp Upregulation?

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair isn't great tbh. I'm now contemplating a hair transplant. i can't believe it has come to this because nothing has worked for me. and nothing makes sense when it comes to hair growth and hair thinning for me.
Aren't u losing hair all over scalp..? I'm after quitting dutasteride ...my hair has thinned rapidly all over

vika

Reaction score
This help for my itch.
Apply nizoral, leave for 5 min in shower and rinse.
Dry your hair a bit and put coconut oil on your scalp and leave it overnight. I sometimes get this itch and that usally does it for me. I'm not sure it will help you but worth a shot.

You might also check up on your diet. In my experience, when i eat alot of junk food and drink more alchohol then i should, that itch comes fast.

On a side not, are you sure dusta is causing this itch? It might be something else. I use fina daily

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aren't u losing hair all over scalp..? I'm after quitting dutasteride ...my hair has thinned rapidly all over

No just my hairline. Dutasteride made my scalp itchy in the hairline. rapid hairloss followed. i don't think it was shedding though, i think it was just receding much quicker.

The last few years since i quit topicals and finasteride/dutasteride i have been suffering inflammation issues. never had it before but after all the effort into trying to stop my hairloss its left my body abit of a sensitive mess that i still haven't diagnosed what the issue is. my theory is that i had an overactive immune system that was constantly fighting against all these hairloss products and now i developed an autoimmune disorder. but thats not easy to diagnose. :(

Now i can't use any topicals, Shampoos or any DHT blockers or anything that lowers testosterone without getting hit by Inflammation.

Last edited:

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No just my hairline. Dutasteride made my scalp itchy in the hairline. rapid hairloss followed. i don't think it was shedding though, i think it was just receding much quicker.

The last few years since i quit topicals and finasteride/dutasteride i have been suffering inflammation issues. never had it before but after all the effort into trying to stop my hairloss its left my body abit of a sensitive mess that i still haven't diagnosed what the issue is. my theory is that i had an overactive immune system that was constantly fighting against all these hairloss products and now i developed an autoimmune disorder. but thats not easy to diagnose. :(

Now i can't use any topicals, Shampoos or any DHT blockers or anything that lowers testosterone without getting hit by Inflammation.
For how long u used Ru! Did it work?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For how long u used Ru! Did it work?
For about 3 months i believe. and no it didn't work. i think the inflammation it was giving me was a sign that it wasn't working. inflammation is not actually a good thing for your hair.

infact i think it was actually making things worse. some people get the Male pattern baldness itch and Finasteride/Dutasteride gets rid of it for them. apparently im someone who never had the Male Pattern Baldness itch and it was just given to me by Finastreride/Dutasteride. i dunno why. it would probably cost me heaps of money to find out whats going on with my body when i take them vs when i don't. but overall no it didn't work. infact i kinda regret taking them. :(

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Neddy i can relate but not clear were you just using topical duta/finasteride or did you use the orals too? I had the same pulsating itch hair loss from oral finasteride and currently on topical finasteride. I was debating on trying oral duta but after reading upregulation etc from you and others i think i will try topical duta instead

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For about 3 months i believe. and no it didn't work. i think the inflammation it was giving me was a sign that it wasn't working. inflammation is not actually a good thing for your hair.

infact i think it was actually making things worse. some people get the Male pattern baldness itch and Finasteride/Dutasteride gets rid of it for them. apparently im someone who never had the Male Pattern Baldness itch and it was just given to me by Finastreride/Dutasteride. i dunno why. it would probably cost me heaps of money to find out whats going on with my body when i take them vs when i don't. but overall no it didn't work. infact i kinda regret taking them. :(
Will my hair recover after quitting ....I'll quit everything and take only estrogen

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair isn't great tbh. I'm now contemplating a hair transplant. i can't believe it has come to this because nothing has worked for me. and nothing makes sense when it comes to hair growth and hair thinning for me.
You're not alone mate, so I know the frustration. I've tried everything. It makes no sense why it doesn't work.
I even did 1.5mg dutasteride and 1mg finasteride daily. Still nothing. What's the answer

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Not trying to doubt your claims, but without pictures we have no idea what your situation is.

Many people claim to lose ground on finasteride and dutasteride, yet when they post pictures they see it actually didn't happen, or it was so minimal and the difference is just hair styling or length.

Post pictures anonymously if you want any real advice, everything else is just bull shitting in the wind.

Theonestoppingfin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not trying to doubt your claims, but without pictures we have no idea what your situation is.

Many people claim to lose ground on finasteride and dutasteride, yet when they post pictures they see it actually didn't happen, or it was so minimal and the difference is just hair styling or length.

Post pictures anonymously if you want any real advice, everything else is just bull shitting in the wind.
Ive been waiting for this. check my post history. I can also post more pics that show just how badly finasteride destroyed my hair. My hair was fine before finasteride, but after a couple months the texture changed to brittle and lifeless, and rapid miniaturziation began. After 6 months, it only continued everywhere on my scalp in places that were fine before. So yea ik everyone loves to call BS that finasteride can make your hair worse but guess what im just that unlucky

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been waiting for this. check my post history. I can also post more pics that show just how badly finasteride destroyed my hair. My hair was fine before finasteride, but after a couple months the texture changed to brittle and lifeless, and rapid miniaturziation began. After 6 months, it only continued everywhere on my scalp in places that were fine before. So yea ik everyone loves to call BS that finasteride can make your hair worse but guess what im just that unlucky
Same here bro..duta has made my hair weak brittle and thin

whatintheworld

Reaction score

Ok I saw your pictures from the back. It is hard to tell that is miniaturization specifically, because your hair is quite angular, it could just be that it was combed/slept on a certain way and thus appears like a bald spot.

If you have just regular top down pictures outside in the sunlight those would be most helpful.

Theonestoppingfin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok I saw your pictures from the back. It is hard to tell that is miniaturization specifically, because your hair is quite angular, it could just be that it was combed/slept on a certain way and thus appears like a bald spot.

If you have just regular top down pictures outside in the sunlight those would be most helpful.
The hairs are way thinner than other hairsso it definitely miniaturization. Pic was taken after drying after a shower so no its not combed or slept. After sleep it looks horrible