How To Deal With Scalp Upregulation?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride was giving me an itchy scalp so i stopped it, i think it was upregulating my hairloss, but since i stopped taking it the itch has kinda stuck and hasn't gone away and i did not have this itch prior to finasteride and dutasteride, so i fear they have left my scalp long term upregulated

Can anyone offer some advice to how i could help this situation and hopefully get things back to normal? i am currently taking fish oil and probiotics hoping it will help.

I been off dutasteride at least 2 months, maybe a little more. im really starting to think it was a big mistake every touching that stuff.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try Cyproterone, it blocks the androgen receptor.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never heard of a case where cypro made things worse than it already was which is why I chose it. If the androgen receptor is blocked, testosterone and DHT cannot bind to it. It also reduces testosterone its self which would definitely counteract the effects of dutasteride.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Isn't that also what spironolactone is meant to do also? that hasn't really worked for me

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone is weak, it didn't work for me either and I was taking 150mg - 200mg. Cypro and oral minoxidil are the only things that have worked for me.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cyproterone upregulated my androgen receptors.

---

Spironolactone 50-100mg is used by women with PCOS and for very bad acne. You can try that, but be careful, if you really have androgen receptors upregulation it could make it worse.
But you said yourself on bridgeburns thread once you stopped cypro you realised it was helping a bit?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why do you immediately associate the itchy scalp with “ androgens are killing my follicles”.
There are other causes if you have itchy like dry scalp, allergies to topicals drugs or foods ecc..
I remember when i quickly lost my hair due steroid cycle i never felt itchy in my scalp even with high testo and dht..

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am trying to attack it from all angles. several possibilities like immune response, androgens, dht, hormonal, stress ect ect.

All i know is that i am thinning a load, have an itchy scalp that seems to have stuck after stopping duta. i can't use coconut oil without inflammation, i can't use aloe vera without inflammation, i can't scalp massage without inflammation. i don't think regenepure is helping at all either.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am trying to attack it from all angles. several possibilities like immune response, androgens, dht, hormonal, stress ect ect.

All i know is that i am thinning a load, have an itchy scalp that seems to have stuck after stopping duta. i can't use coconut oil without inflammation, i can't use aloe vera without inflammation, i can't scalp massage without inflammation. i don't think regenepure is helping at all either.
Maybe its a problem with your skin in general, if everything causes inflammation its the only thing I can think of.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Last 2 weeks i been shedding heaps in the shower. i never used to shed this much, its gone from less than 10 to 30+ as the hairs come off on my hands. full strands with bulbs

i feel like something is wrong and i dunno how i can get back to normal.

i used a soothing shampoo today thats for dry and sensitive scalp and i ain't sure its done much.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your body doesn't upregulate receptors as much as you think. The fact that you're now off the drugs and DHT is flowing onto the receptors again means they would regulate themselves back to normal.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It doesn't feel that way. i never had any itch before i started these hairloss drugs like finasteride and duta. i had an itch with finasteride but when i stopped taking them it went away. dutasteride had the same reaction as finasteride but this time it hasn't gone away even after 2 months.

My scalp is a mess. everything inflames it

Last edited:

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Decided to do an experiemt. i applied some groganic ice oil on my scalp yesterday. it contains saw pametto, minirol oil and chamomile, and from what what i can tell my scalp is abit worse off for it. more inflamed. i have appled this before with no issue so am starting to think the saw palmetto may indeed not be good.

i also suffer from another side effect from using this stuff and alot of other topicals at that, but this side effect has been there since the start. for some reason my hands hurt after i use this stuff. my wrists and knees crack and pop more often and feel quite painful. my first guess is that its an immune response but who the hell knows anymore.

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last 2 weeks i been shedding heaps in the shower. i never used to shed this much, its gone from less than 10 to 30+ as the hairs come off on my hands. full strands with bulbs

i feel like something is wrong and i dunno how i can get back to normal.

i used a soothing shampoo today thats for dry and sensitive scalp and i ain't sure its done much.
Dude how is ur hair??..even I experience itch when I take duta

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair isn't great tbh. I'm now contemplating a hair transplant. i can't believe it has come to this because nothing has worked for me. and nothing makes sense when it comes to hair growth and hair thinning for me.