How often do you wash your hair?

michael barry

Reaction score
Armando,

What do you think of this.... http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/hair ... news16.htm ?

I'll get back to that in a sec. Ive checked out some of the competing theories on baldness for proboably the same reasons as many guys.......the direct exposure of DHT on hair cells doesnt cause a big enough change in the short term to convince me that "thats all there is to baldness". Im aware that androstenidione and DHEAS proboably also play roles.

The problem I have with sebum retention is this.......I know quite a few Caucasoid men with buzz cuts in their thirties and forties whove had buzz cuts for many years. They arent baldning........they have cylindrical hair shafts that grow straight up also. I also wonder about why the back bald spot so often develops even though so many men wear their hair long enough in the back for the vertex bald spot not to see much sebum. THe hair is usually styled out and away from this place. I do see the temple recession as possible per the sebum retention theory as many men have bangs over their foreheads and the hair shafts rest on the scalp here all day. But all of these guys dont bald........and that would seem to pose a question.

The nutritional ideas I was playing with for a while never occured to me to be the CAUSE of baldness, just an accelerating factor as per the standard "bald people have more androgen receptors plus more alpha five enzyme to make extra DHT" theory. THis is the one that seems the most plausible to be honest. I was thinking that kids raised on red meat and dairy like we are (especially the steroidial, growth hormoned kind we get here) proboably have more androgens circulating in the blood during puberty because of this (not to mention our hypercompeditive stressful modern society) and it has an aggravating effect on a pre-existing genetic condition.

I know that alpha five reductase type I (I think its type I) are located in the sebaceous glands and this DHT is in sebum that is likely re-absorbed back into the scalp further damaging the follicle area. This type of alpha isnt affected by propecia either I think. Ive thought long about that and the androstenidione and the DHEAS getting changed into DHT by sulfates also.

However Armando, the link above has set me to woder about my own little scenario. Dr. Loren Pickart says on his website that it doesnt appear to be the DHT directly hurting the follicle, but the damage around the follicle in the skin that leads to miniaturization. He further goes on to describe that he believes that skin-remodeling copper peptides can induce capillary regrowth. My idea from the mouse study above is that if the microcapillaries that feed the dermal papillas (and those in the uppermost layer of scalp) eventually are damaged by male hormones, hair will die as a result. In the beginning of anagen phase, the capillaries have to increase FOUR fold to meet the needs of the new anagen papilla. What if they dont? I'd bet the new papilla being formed is severly stunted. The skin around it and collagen around it probaobly grow into the old follicles space. The lack of white blood cells in the area proboably invite bacteria and fungi, the bacteria and fungi proboably elicit and immune response, the immune response proboably really damages the skin resulting in firbosis and a lack of oxygen. THis all proboably balds this skin in the extremities of the temples first, then the vertex.

I imagine people with arterial gunk in their arteries have a hard time getting blood into easily clogged microcapillaries in the first place, hence the link between high blood pressure and baldness.

If there is an alternative theory of baldness that seems to make easy sense to me.......this is my present leading contender. However, If I had to bet my life on it.........Id still say that prematurely bald men simply inherit extra androgen receptor genes along with extra alpha five reductase enzymes in their skin cells. They proboably also inherit a higher propensity to high blood pressure and their skin is more sensitive to testosterone as many balding men went through acne when they are teenagers and baldness as early adults.....I would venture there are proboably 10 or so little genetic predispositions that have to do with blood, hormones, enzymes, and skin cells that bald guys have in more proportion than non-bald guys.......

But Im always prepared to see a new experiment blow whatever hypotheisis we have right back out of the water with new data in this most frustrating of subjects. Have a great eve, M

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Armando,

What do you think of this.... http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/hair ... news16.htm ?

I'll get back to that in a sec. Ive checked out some of the competing theories on baldness for proboably the same reasons as many guys.......the direct exposure of DHT on hair cells doesnt cause a big enough change in the short term to convince me that "thats all there is to baldness". Im aware that androstenidione and DHEAS proboably also play roles.

I recognice that I am not the unique person looking for another new theory about common baldness. The current theory don’t fix all the observed facts and, sadly, his aproach with the use of 5 alfa reductase inhibitors don’t work very well.

The problem I have with sebum retention is this.......I know quite a few Caucasoid men with buzz cuts in their thirties and forties whove had buzz cuts for many years. They arent baldning........they have cylindrical hair shafts that grow straight up also. I also wonder about why the back bald spot so often develops even though so many men wear their hair long enough in the back for the vertex bald spot not to see much sebum. THe hair is usually styled out and away from this place. I do see the temple recession as possible per the sebum retention theory as many men have bangs over their foreheads and the hair shafts rest on the scalp here all day. But all of these guys dont bald........and that would seem to pose a question.

Yes, I know some people with regulary buzz cuts and they aren’t balding. My theory say that individuals with dense and thick hair don’t develop common baldness, because there is a transversal sebum flow among hairs, and in this case is sufficient touching, combing, etc the hair in order to eliminate the sebum from hair shaft as Kligman say.

The nutritional ideas I was playing with for a while never occured to me to be the CAUSE of baldness, just an accelerating factor as per the standard "bald people have more androgen receptors plus more alpha five enzyme to make extra DHT" theory. THis is the one that seems the most plausible to be honest. I was thinking that kids raised on red meat and dairy like we are (especially the steroidial, growth hormoned kind we get here) proboably have more androgens circulating in the blood during puberty because of this (not to mention our hypercompeditive stressful modern society) and it has an aggravating effect on a pre-existing genetic condition.

I am with you, some proceses only agravate the problem but they are not the initial or trigger cause.

I know that alpha five reductase type I (I think its type I) are located in the sebaceous glands and this DHT is in sebum that is likely re-absorbed back into the scalp further damaging the follicle area. This type of alpha isnt affected by propecia either I think. Ive thought long about that and the androstenidione and the DHEAS getting changed into DHT by sulfates also.

Yes it’s pausible, sebum contains DHT.

However Armando, the link above has set me to woder about my own little scenario. Dr. Loren Pickart says on his website that it doesnt appear to be the DHT directly hurting the follicle, but the damage around the follicle in the skin that leads to miniaturization.

Dr. Lorent Pickart is a good scientist and more investigators point out changes in the neighbouring of hair follice leading a irrversibility of the process of hair loss.

He further goes on to describe that he believes that skin-remodeling copper peptides can induce capillary regrowth.

Hair regrowth, in my opinion, is only a plus. Prevention is better than cure. Nowaday it’s impossible recover the hair lost in a few years, except by hair trasplant. But I shall be very happy if Dr. Pickart regrow his own hair.

My idea from the mouse study above is that if the microcapillaries that feed the dermal papillas (and those in the uppermost layer of scalp) eventually are damaged by male hormones, hair will die as a result. In the beginning of anagen phase, the capillaries have to increase FOUR fold to meet the needs of the new anagen papilla. What if they dont? I'd bet the new papilla being formed is severly stunted. The skin around it and collagen around it probaobly grow into the old follicles space. The lack of white blood cells in the area proboably invite bacteria and fungi, the bacteria and fungi proboably elicit and immune response, the immune response proboably really damages the skin resulting in firbosis and a lack of oxygen. THis all proboably balds this skin in the extremities of the temples first, then the vertex.

Yes, all this proceses can act in common baldness but, what is the initial event? Why the new papilla being formed is severily stunted?. The theory about blood flow is not new, but experiments don’t reflect this idea. There is a key, is the same hair follicle the chief in the growth or not of microcapillaries around the hair. VEGF concentration is not stable during all the hair cycle. You mentioned it with: “the capillaries have to increase FOUR fold to meet the needs of the new anagen papillaâ€.

I imagine people with arterial gunk in their arteries have a hard time getting blood into easily clogged microcapillaries in the first place, hence the link between high blood pressure and baldness.

But what happen with the special pattern of hair loss? Why only affect the problems with microcapillaries affect only a certains hairs?, and what happen regarding the difference incidence between sexes. This point could agravate the process but it is not the initial cause.
By the way, what is your opinion about scalp hair, is the same in both sexes?. This is imprescindible in my theory.

If there is an alternative theory of baldness that seems to make easy sense to me.......this is my present leading contender. However, If I had to bet my life on it.........Id still say that prematurely bald men simply inherit extra androgen receptor genes along with extra alpha five reductase enzymes in their skin cells. They proboably also inherit a higher propensity to high blood pressure and their skin is more sensitive to testosterone as many balding men went through acne when they are teenagers and baldness as early adults.....I would venture there are proboably 10 or so little genetic predispositions that have to do with blood, hormones, enzymes, and skin cells that bald guys have in more proportion than non-bald guys.......

You know my bet, but I don’t bet my life. My theory has a certains sides without very “lightâ€. Human hair is the most evolved in nature, specially scalp hair and it’s called asynchronia.

But Im always prepared to see a new experiment blow whatever hypotheisis we have right back out of the water with new data in this most frustrating of subjects. Have a great eve, M

Also I agreed with your thought.
Best regards
Armando

michael barry

Reaction score
Armando,

You stated that you know some poeple with buzz cuts and they arent balding, but that your theory states that those with thick and dense hair have a transversal sebum flow among hairs with sufficient touching, combing, etc. to eliminate sebum from the hair shaft.............

Ive noticed guys with buzz cuts (and shorter, shaven hair) that didnt seem particularily thick, but had NO male pattern baldness whatsoever. I work with a few. Hair is no thicker than my own but they have no temple recession. That is a quandry for that theory.

My idea about blood flow and baldness comes from Japanese researchers who noted that balding men had 2.6 times less blood flow ON AVERAGE than non-male pattern baldness men. I seen this on a site called diagnons-me.com, but dont have the exact URL offhand or anything. VEGF concentration isnt stable during all the hair cycle, but it isnt NEEDED throughout the hair cycle like it is in one of the early anagen phases when the dermal papilla expands a great deal. THis is the time when the little forrest of microcapillaries must enlarge 4 fold to service the needs of the little follicle factory in the papilla by delivering not only nutrients but growth factors, etc. If this doesnt happen, I would venture that newly forming dermal papilla will "shoot" a very small follicle.

You asked what happens with the special pattern of hairloss and what affect of the problems with microcapillaries affect only certain hairs (following the norwood pattern Im sure)?

My answer is this...............there is such a thing as male pattern baldness. These areas of the scalp are genetically predisposed to go first. The more severe the baldness, the more even the hippocratic wreath thins and the hairs within even them lose diameter size. I believe male pattern baldness is caused by inheriting enough of the required genes to make it happen. I believe some people who bald later in life proboably have less of the series of genes responsible and people who start to male pattern baldness as teenagers have many of the series of genes responsible. I believe in whatever biological mechanisms that take place in the male pattern baldness process, this shrinkage of capillaries may be "the straw that breaks the camel's back" as far as baldness is concerned. I also believe that male pattern baldness is obviously triggered by male hormones in descending order of DHT, androstenidione, DHEAS, and possibly some estrogens that get read by androgen receptors as male hormone. I believe this because eunuchs dont bald no matter what their parentage or if they buzz their hair, wear it long, intermediate, or dont even wash regularily.

However, people are also born with genetic predilictions to diabetes etc, and dont necessarily succumb to it, so I think there may be ways around baldness without a "gene cure". Minoxidil grows more hair than any other drug out there, and it does nothing for hormones so Im inclined to thing that whatever exactly circulating androgens do, can perhaps be circumvented or contraindicated. My conviction that in the early parts of anagen that the microcapillaries arent enlargening enough to get the papilla what it needs to produce a terminal hair is proboably one of the many steps in the male pattern baldness process, but Im inclined to believe its the most important blow to the hair.....

But again, who knows? Im sure scientists like Bertand over at L'Oreal research labs (they've just came out with an internal patent for baldness based on the amino acid taurine) are suprised at anyone that baldness has had them all so stumped for this long. I felt in the eighties when minoxidil came out that baldness would be eradicated by the mid-nineties, and we a decade past that with no cure in sight.......its just so complicated. Thanks, and have a great night and good luck in your further research, M

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Michael for your comments.
I have attend a exposition in Madrid.
Next week I'll post.

have a nice day
Armando