How often do you wash your hair?

VeryUpset

Reaction score
I wash mine 2-3x a week and have switched over to an Aloe Vera shampoo and conditioner.

What about you guys?

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1-2 times a day a day if i put gel. Once in the morning and one to wash the gel out. My hair is reacting okay to it.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Everyday without fail, the drier and freer of grease my scalp is the better my hair and the less I lose.

Also as I use topicals its a necessity to wash them out in the morning.

I strongly recommend you use Nizoral shampoo.

managuense

Reaction score
2-3 times a day. Once in the morning, once in the evening if i go biking, once at night after the gym.

I gotta ask, how the hell does one not wash their hair everyday?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
every day. if you use topicals then it is best to have a clean scalp before the application of such.

jeffsss

Reaction score
at least once, usually twice.

I hate to do it b/c that's when i see the most hair fall out.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
williteverend said:
once a week. does wonders. shampoo is bad for your hair.

Not all shampoo. Besides, once a week is probably bad for your hair. Plus it doesn't do well with others.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I shower, and shampoo, twice a day. Do my Infusium 23 and medicated shampoo cycling at night, and use a very mild salon-quality shampoo, Paul Mitchell Shampoo 1, in the mornings.

My scalp has never felt better, I personally believe that sebum creates a healthier living environment on the scalp for the naturally occuring fungi that have been shown to exacerbate irritation, and intensify the immune response that DHT causes.

powersam

Reaction score
i'll bet if you posted the same question on a forum not about hairloss then far less people would be washing it everyday. overwashing drys and damages your skin, and hair is basically an extension of your skin, healthy skin = healthy hair.

SE-freak

Reaction score
PowerSam said:
i'll bet if you posted the same question on a forum not about hairloss then far less people would be washing it everyday. overwashing drys and damages your skin, and hair is basically an extension of your skin, healthy skin = healthy hair.

That is my view also. Although topicals make it a little harsh to keep off, I find that a simple morning water rinse can be enough before the topical's application.

G

Overwashing can potentially make your hair greasier as you can start to over produce sebum.

Once a day is fine but I wouldn't advise any more than that.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Skin/scalp washing has no effect on sebum production.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
PowerSam said:

That is my view also. Although topicals make it a little harsh to keep off, I find that a simple morning water rinse can be enough before the topical's application.

I'm coming around to this view as well, based on my last month's experience. Many shampoos seem to be too harsh. When you ad Nirozol to the mix, things get even harsher. Although I already have many different shampoos, I think I'm going to be trying out Baby Sahmpoo.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I love how definitive Bryan is. He is the 'vioce of reason'.
Personally, I think he's wrong though. I'd bet any amount of money that over-washing your hair does in fact cause your scalp to over-produce sebum.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I love how definitive Bryan is. He is the 'vioce of reason'.
Personally, I think he's wrong though. I'd bet any amount of money that over-washing your hair does in fact cause your scalp to over-produce sebum.

Well 20sometingtoo, if this were poker I would put you all in on that statement and take all your money. Because bryan is right. I have read studies that prove this to be so. Over washing = sebum increase is is a myth.

More evidnece of this is why dont people with overly dry skin to begin with produce more sebum? Your logic suggests that the sebaecous glands would compensate by producing more sebum, but they dont. Its becuase sebum production is mediated by androgens and not by washing your face.

Ill take all your money now thanks :)

mon

Established Member
Reaction score
I think everyday is perhaps excessive, 3 or 4 times a week is sufficient. But if you use hair gel or something similar everyday then it is better to wash it off in the evening. However, there is no need to have a clean scalp everyday to apply topicals.