How many of us on these forums deal with anxiety?

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anxiety runs in my family through my Dad's side and manifests itself in many different ways. We don't get panic attacks like what is common with girls, instead we zero in on one aspect (like hair loss) and obsess about it. I didn't think I had anxiety until I realized that, when I feel good about my hair, I'm obsessing over something else though not many of the people in my life know that about me.

It only takes one negative aspect, or one small comment to send someone with anxiety into worry mode. I'm just wondering if you guys are like that as well. I talk to many balding guys my age and it doesn't affect them near as much.

First step to overcoming a problem is to acknowledge that the problem exists.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Anxiety is a little word for my life, life of worries and stress

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i was diagnosed with anxiety back in 2010

i've had around 10 to 20 panic attacks over the past 2 years

thats not anxiety tho man, stop self diagnosing

i dont know what it is, im not a mental health professional or doctor

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
The type of anxiety you are referring to is closely associated with OCD/BDD. Your compulsive obsession about your hair is basically BDD which is very common on this forum. Or you may have phalacrophobia which is fear of going bald. I definitely suffer from phalacrophobia and do experience anxiety as I see my hairline and density slowly diminish each year. I have been told I will never be bald by several hair transplant experts but I still have fear I will. My anxiety tends to get worse when I am around perfect thick NW1s. And if I am around perfect NW1 who are in their 40's or older my anxiety really gets worse. I don't like seeing Paul Ryan, Romney's newly selected possible future Vice President. He is in his 40's and has the most perfect head of hair and no graying or minor thinning starting. He does not have a large forehead either. He hit the genetic jackpot for hair.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
once you guys experience physical anxiety then you will REALLY know the feeling of anxiety

stressing is bad, but when your heart is racing, skipping beats, your hands and feet are going numb, you feel like you are going to go crazy, you start breathing faster, these are all anxiety symptoms and if occuring severely enough then its an "anxiety attack"

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I've seen some even older than that. I actually laugh when I see that..even joke with them about it. It's crazzzzzzzzzy.

i even sew once a 90+ years old, bearly walks, look half dead but a perfect hair not even the slighest hairloss, WTF?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
once you guys experience physical anxiety then you will REALLY know the feeling of anxiety

stressing is bad, but when your heart is racing, skipping beats, your hands and feet are going numb, you feel like you are going to go crazy, you start breathing faster, these are all anxiety symptoms and if occuring severely enough then its an "anxiety attack"

I had similar stuff when I realized I was going bald. Could hardly sleep for like a week until I got a prescription for sleeping pills. Also had them (milder though) 1,5 yrs ago when my situ suddenly got worse. Never had anything like that before so you could say that hairloss triggered my anxiety/BDD.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list, I've dealt with it all my life. I didn't think I had social anxiety for about 10 years I figured I was just shy.

I am using Citalopram daily and Oxazepam when I feel I need it, while I remain shy I can tell my anxiety drops significantly when using antidepressant.

I will be getting of Citalopram shortly so it will be interesting to see how things go this time.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

Before hairloss I suffered from severe acne and saboreha all my youth, only in 18 when it seems to be cured hairloss started

slipy

Reaction score

that would happen to me back in the school days, when teacher would make students answer questions or read loudly.
when came my turn i was already so nervous that i wasn't able to speak properly.
never been diognosed though.
it seemed to subside as i got older, but due to balding it's resurfacing and badly.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey slippy

Its almost worth it to hve physical anxiety symptoms

one word-BENZODIAZEPINES (aka valium, xanax, etc)

Man oh man

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I definitely have mild OCD, what is BDD? I obsess like that too and many guys in these forums would be jealous of my hair but I am tormented at even just the slightest shed. I hear you about seeing guys like Ryan, or Jason Bateman, even Bill Clinton. I can't even remember what it was like to not even think about my hair.

I'm trying to learn how to divert my thoughts so I don't obsess so much. Sometimes I think we train our brains to worry so maybe it's a matter of re-training our thought processes.

The type of anxiety you are referring to is closely associated with OCD/BDD. Your compulsive obsession about your hair is basically BDD which is very common on this forum. Or you may have phalacrophobia which is fear of going bald. I definitely suffer from phalacrophobia and do experience anxiety as I see my hairline and density slowly diminish each year. I have been told I will never be bald by several hair transplant experts but I still have fear I will. My anxiety tends to get worse when I am around perfect thick NW1s. And if I am around perfect NW1 who are in their 40's or older my anxiety really gets worse. I don't like seeing Paul Ryan, Romney's newly selected possible future Vice President. He is in his 40's and has the most perfect head of hair and no graying or minor thinning starting. He does not have a large forehead either. He hit the genetic jackpot for hair.

- - - Updated - - -

I would try some of those, but don't they have a hair loss side effect? I have a lot of friends but I hit social anxiety when talking one-on-one with someone. I can be the life of the party in groups of three or more than be the most boring person on earth when hanging out with one person.

Add me to the list, I've dealt with it all my life. I didn't think I had social anxiety for about 10 years I figured I was just shy.

I am using Citalopram daily and Oxazepam when I feel I need it, while I remain shy I can tell my anxiety drops significantly when using antidepressant.

I will be getting of Citalopram shortly so it will be interesting to see how things go this time.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I read about possible hair loss it's a gamble you take with any drug.

I don't think it's hurt my hair.

After speaking to the GP looks like it's another 6 months cit at 50% increase dosage :(

slipy

Reaction score
Hey slippy

Its almost worth it to hve physical anxiety symptoms

one word-BENZODIAZEPINES (aka valium, xanax, etc)

Man oh man

im already taking stuff for various other conditions. it's ridicoulus.

i remmember my family doctor wanted to send me to psychologist and have me put on drugs, either anti-anxiety or anti depressants.
that was before hair loss.
i refused as i didn't want to have what i considered a artificial, fake relief at the time.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not trying to self-diagnose, but some peopel might never fix anything if they never did any research on what feels different about them. I just think there's a difference from the balding guys who don't care and we who visit these forums. I think we obsess more and tend to overblow the issue. That being said, I don't know how to fix it without meds.

and apparently some of those meds make it worse.