"how Hollywood Tackles Hairloss & Other Tinseltown Terrors"

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
steve carrell and beckham already had hair transplant and probably on finasteride

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
My curiosity about him is IF we can see this thinning--i wonder if he is using topik or concealer and we are not seeing full story? Make sense?
I would think a man at that level of caring about his looks would be using concealer already.

Davif-Beckham-in-Ralph-Lauren-Wimbledon-2017.jpg

David-Beckham-with-his-mother-Wimbledon-2017.jpg

he is definitely thinning

who cares tho, he is old and anyway will look bald very good

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 58234

View attachment 58235

he is definitely thinning

who cares tho, he is old and anyway will look bald very good

I don,t, I would still take him (with duct tape over his mouth because that voice is a lady-boner killer)

I only pointed out A LOT of them are thinning and balding and still working and making money.

they just hide it well.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol imagine trying to cast Joel McHale as the stud in Community pre-transplant

VrY3kIo.jpg

evicted from community college for being a suspected pedo most likely

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 58237

evicted from community college for being a suspected peso most likely

Now he is a looks matched example--even his body he really transformed it.

he is not Hollywood 'elite' good looks of course--but he is average older-Joe Hollywood great looks.

this is a good hair transplant.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 58237

evicted from community college for being a suspected pedo most likely

I think he wears a system, doesn't he?

Beckham's photo a few years ago tho.

KR-BECKHAM-HAIR-LOSS1.jpg

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a large debate as to whether or not modern films are declining, it's hard to say as we're biased since we're living in the present. Overall though the box office, as in the set of movies people actually watch, is certainly more homogeneous. Films like 2001, Breakfast at Tiffany's, or the Godfather might be cultural blips if they can out now.

There are some good independent films, smaller films, etc that are made but most people don't hear about them. When they do, it's often for fraudulent independent films such as the documentary what the health. Luckily I'm in a film group locally and I got to see a few good films lately. There's also an independent friendly theatre close to my house.

It may also be a reflection of the audience that we prefer visual candy like Jurassic World over genuine narrative.

Back to your original point. Often when I hear people say that "they really like the character" in a film context, I often "good looking white person looking like they're having fun."

One exception is Jennifer Lawrence. She's hot yes, she's also a terrific actress.

About the visual over narrative comment; Maybe the latest great achievement in form of the blockbuster Ape-movie is excatly because it was relieved of the must-have aestetic movie-carrying protagonist? Anyway, what a great movie it was. I really enjoyed the irony, the symbolism, the unspoken communication, the narrative, the humour....ah it will become classic.

About those exceptions..and some more about young-ish, male, actors who are the future: Ryan Gosling is for me a very good actor, even if he's played mostly same characters, but either way he's so easy to believe and so concincing. I really respect James McAvoy, arguably the most unorthodox young actor today. Other that come to mind are Joseph Gordon-Levitt who is just amazing in some roles and of course the very eccentric Jesse Eisenberg. None of them are top-tier in terms of looks, but are nonetheless more exiting to look and easier to identify with (for me). Certainly there are other who I have forgot to mention and it pobably is not fair for them, but I simply cannot remember ^^

As for females, it's harder to judge because the talent is even more rare beacause of focus on looks. I know Kristen Stewart was the focal point of a (small) debate on here recently regarding her attractiveness or sexyness, but her talent for acting is clear imo. Other female actresses with good ability imo are Emilia Clarke and Emma Stone(may be subjective here). :)

Lastly, I must add the never-over supposed future of filmography in the flesh of Heath Ledger. He was really something else. Interestingly, also (eventually)doomed to a life without hair.

EDIT: You would probably not appreciate my forgetting about your very own Natalie Portman, man. She is a real gem of an actor. Maybe even top imo!

Last edited:

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
As for females, it's harder to judge because the talent is even more rare beacause of focus on looks. I know Kristen Stewart was the focal point of a (small) debate on here recently regarding her attractiveness or sexyness, but her talent for acting is clear imo. Other female actresses with good ability imo are Emilia Clarke and Emma Stone(may be subjective here). :)

Lastly, I must add the never-over supposed future of filmography in the flesh of Heath Ledger. He was really something else. Interestingly, also (eventually)doomed to a life without hair.

The two actresses I am interested to see their work over next few years are
Tatiana Maslany
Alicia Vikander

think they are going to be the 'Debra Winger and Meryl streep' of their peers over the next few year;
but who knows hard to predict these things.

the one from "Brooklyn" is really good too in an elegant way I cant think of her name though.

edit I should have said Jessica Lange--there is never going to be another Meryl Streep.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sylvester Stallone paved his own way. No one really handed him anything easily. He is multi talented he wrote directed and produced Rocky. It was NOT expected to be a hit.

It's not that looks are more or less important to audiences, its that the studios stopped letting directors run the show. If you look at the 'lookism' of realy old Hollywood films looks ere just as important then as today just different criteria because Studios ran the shows.
in 70s until early 80s Directors ran their own shows...without interference just unending $$$..Until Micheal Cimeno kind of fucked it up for everyone else and studios started to reign sh*t back in.

Most directors don't care that much about looks they care about being photogenic--which is not the same thing (well for men at least, women this is different story to a degree)...its studios that are about looks and all the other stuff that comes with it. And now perhaps the younger audiences, not sure.

Yea, I knew about Stallone. Actually that's excatly why I had him for an example. So multi talented... but who, I mean really, who would have invested in his project with the ultimatum being he's the leading role in the film. Can you imagine that with his looks from that time? And it was a respectable amount of money back in the day... Maybe he would have made it anyway, I'm not saying, but it would be harder for him in so many ways...

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
About the visual over narrative comment; Maybe the latest great achievement in form of the blockbuster Ape-movie is excatly because it was relieved of the must-have aestetic movie-carrying protagonist? Anyway, what a great movie it was. I really enjoyed the irony, the symbolism, the unspoken communication, the narrative, the humour....ah it will become classic.

About those exceptions..and some more about young-ish, male, actors who are the future: Ryan Gosling is for me a very good actor, even if he's played mostly same characters, but either way he's so easy to believe and so concincing. I really respect James McAvoy, arguably the most unorthodox young actor today. Other that come to mind are Joseph Gordon-Levitt who is just amazing in some roles and of course the very eccentric Jesse Eisenberg. None of them are top-tier in terms of looks, but are nonetheless more exiting to look and easier to identify with (for me). Certainly there are other who I have forgot to mention and it pobably is not fair for them, but I simply cannot remember ^^

Great choices man. You and I have similar tastes.

A lot of people dismissed Kristen Stewart after the Twilight movies, they said that she had no personality in those movies. My response then, as now, is that she was playing the role of Bella. Bella doesn't have a strong personality.

Having seen Clouds of Sils Maria and Personal Shopper, I now know that I was right about Stewart. She's an excellent actress. By the way both those movies are delightful.

Anton Yelchin is one of the celebrity deaths of last year that most shook me, probably the most actually. He died so young. He was a tremendous talent himself, though given his looks and indeed his receding hairline, he was never going to be a leading man. On a film site I participate in, one of the smartest people there, somebody who works in the industry, described Yelchin as one of the rare young actors more interested in acting than modelling.

Planet of the Apes and Interstellar are two movies that use CGI to actually enhance the narrative, as opposed to just wowing the audience. Gravity is another example. In those cases I'm not critical, as the story is coming first.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, I knew about Stallone. Actually that's excatly why I had him for an example. So multi talented... but who, I mean really, who would have invested in his project with the ultimatum being he's the leading role in the film. Can you imagine that with his looks from that time? And it was a respectable amount of money back in the day... Maybe he would have made it anyway, I'm not saying, but it would be harder for him in so many ways...

I know a lot of film investors and a ton of independent film makers.

Its not hard to get funding for a film as you would think

Its more about distributing after its made..this has changed over past 20 years but that was/is the challenge especially back in 70s

here is his production costs and who was involved (thought he directed but someone else did--but I am sure he 'co' directed at least even if not credited as such.)

United Artists liked Stallone's script, and viewed it as a possible vehicle for a well-established star such as Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds, or James Caan.[9] Stallone appealed to the producers to be given a chance to star in the film. He later said that he would never have forgiven himself if the film became a success with someone else in the lead. He also knew that producers Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff's contract with the studio enabled them to "greenlight" a project if the budget was kept low enough. The producers also collateralized any possible losses with their big-budget entry, New York, New York (whose eventual losses were ironically covered by Rocky's success).[10][11] The film's production budget ended up being $1,075,000, with a further $100,000 spent on producers' fees and $4.2 million on advertising costs.[12]

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh,
Great choices man. You and I have similar tastes.

A lot of people dismissed Kristen Stewart after the Twilight movies, they said that she had no personality in those movies. My response then, as now, is that she was playing the role of Bella. Bella doesn't have a strong personality.

Having seen Clouds of Sils Maria and Personal Shopper, I now know that I was right about Stewart. She's an excellent actress. By the way both those movies are delightful.

Anton Yelchin is one of the celebrity deaths of last year that most shook me, probably the most actually. He died so young. He was a tremendous talent himself, though given his looks and indeed his receding hairline, he was never going to be a leading man. On a film site I participate in, one of the smartest people there, somebody who works in the industry, described Yelchin as one of the rare young actors more interested in acting than modelling.

Planet of the Apes and Interstellar are two movies that use CGI to actually enhance the narrative, as opposed to just wowing the audience. Gravity is another example. In those cases I'm not critical, as the story is coming first.

I noticed too! Hey, Personal Shopper is one mind-boggling movie. Her performance is nothing short of fantastic. What do you think of Stephen Amell's ability to act? I'm not convinced tbh...

See my edit about Natalie Portman :)

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know a lot of film investors and a ton of independent film makers.

Its not hard to get funding for a film as you would think

Its more about distributing after its made..this has changed over past 20 years but that was/is the challenge especially back in 70s

here is his production costs and who was involved (thought he directed but someone else did--but I am sure he 'co' directed at least even if not credited as such.)

United Artists liked Stallone's script, and viewed it as a possible vehicle for a well-established star such as Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds, or James Caan.[9] Stallone appealed to the producers to be given a chance to star in the film. He later said that he would never have forgiven himself if the film became a success with someone else in the lead. He also knew that producers Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff's contract with the studio enabled them to "greenlight" a project if the budget was kept low enough. The producers also collateralized any possible losses with their big-budget entry, New York, New York (whose eventual losses were ironically covered by Rocky's success).[10][11] The film's production budget ended up being $1,075,000, with a further $100,000 spent on producers' fees and $4.2 million on advertising costs.[12]

Adjusted for inflation? Anyways, back in the day as you said, the rules of the game were quite different, and it was the expectations of the public which was very different in terms of aestetics.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh,

I noticed too! Hey, Personal Shopper is one mind-boggling movie. Her performance is nothing short of fantastic. What do you think of Stephen Amell's ability to act? I'm not convinced tbh...

See my edit about Natalie Portman :)

Nathalie Portman did The Black Swan, and now she's immortal.

I don't know about Stephen Amell as I have not watched Arrow. There's more (far more) comic book stuff made than I have time to watch. I've watched Supergirl, iZombie, and Daredevil. I will eventually watch Jessica Jones. So that's like 25% of the total material available lol. I used to watch Agents of Shield, but I stopped as it's not very good.

What do you think of his abilities? How would you rank and evaluate those shows?

Personal Shopper is a good example of my current objection to internet movie culture. It's a great movie but totally obscure. I wanted to understand it better after having watched, but reviews and discussions were hard to find. It's too bad, i enjoyed the movie but I'm not sure I "got" it.

There used to be a great website called The Dissolve that discussed a wide range of movies at a high level, but they shut down.

On the other hand, there is endless analysis available for Spider Man, which was merely good.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
portman is superhot

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I just want to add to address this point you made, if you are interested in the difference of 'what' was going on at that time period creatively with films vs what is going on today--research producers like Robert Evans who discusses it a lot and also research if you can find it documentaries about 'Heavens Gate' by Micheal Cimineo

It was a time period where studios were entrusting the talent of directors more than ever before and probably ever since to make decisions for the films...this ended I am not sure if exactly or just figuratively with Heavens Gate. At that point with that films epic failure (and i am sure some others) Studios took back more tight budgetary and creative control once again. I think in early 90s you see the back lash to this 'tight' formula with the rise of independent films that start to focus once again on directors (spike lee, quintan tarrantino and even to some small degree Kevin Smith with Clerks and chasing amy, and Ed Burns etc.)
not comparing quality of these films or directors to the past ones of 70s...i am very biased, in my opinion and personal taste the 70s is arguably the most inspiring time of film making to me as far as acting goes.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Adjusted for inflation? Anyways, back in the day as you said, the rules of the game were quite different, and it was the expectations of the public which was very different in terms of aestetics.

Yeah you are not really understanding

the public was not the concern of the directors making the films.

The public up until the 60 to 70s demanded ELITE beauty...The OLD studio system was about perfection for their time period in both male and female actors...some notable exceptions of course like Bette Davis and Spencer Tracy...but the majority of actors and actress were elite in looks for their time period--I would say arguable MORE so then by today standards.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
i googled Joel McHale hair transplant after that post and this fairly dumb but nonetheless interesting article was high on the list about this journalist getting a hair transplant

"So I started to tell people that I was considering hair surgery. And I found that, nearly universally, men were cool with it. A few guys confessed to having had the surgery themselves; others wanted details because they were thinking about it. The normal-haired were equally nonjudgmental. Even my dad—whom I was the most nervous to confess to, since he’s even less vain than I am and, at 74, has a full head of barely gray hair—was fine with it."

"Women, though, were nearly uniformly hostile to the idea. "Are you f*****g kidding me?" my mom yelled. "Are you that vain? Oy yi yi. Of course this wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t move to L.A. L.A. has crazy values. Crazy, crazy. I don’t want you to become one of these shallow L.A. people. Almost every woman I polled thought hair surgery was vain, dishonest, girlie, and unappealing. The one exception was Cassandra. She thought I should go for it. Mostly so I’d shut up about my hair, but also because she thought I’d look better."

got triggered at "vain and dishonest", like b**ch do you even make-up

"The night before the surgery, I told my friend Claire about it. She said she needed to meet with me immediately and stage a plastic-surgery intervention. "Hair plugs are shorthand for ’not cool,’" she pleaded. "You’re going to get pelted by food in the cafeteria." And then she made it clear why most women object to this whole idea: "One of the joys of being born with a dick is that aging boosts your position in society, as opposed to those of us with a vagina, who have to fight for relevance once our outsides betray us. I think that’s why women find things like this so unattractive. We want you to embrace your power instead of succumbing."

noteworthy bits:

"I decided to get a consultation at Bosley"
lol
"Though there’s some kind of bulk-discount sliding scale, my 1,600 grafts would cost $11,000" lol @ Bosley prices
"This was indeed vanity. A level of vanity that said I cared about my hair as much as a new car." LOL A NEW CAR. I would get around on a f*****g tricycle for the rest of my life if it meant keeping my hair