"how Hollywood Tackles Hairloss & Other Tinseltown Terrors"

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
An article from a few weeks back on Hollywood Reporter

Some stand-out quotes:

"For those whose visages are plastered on increasingly high-def screens around the world, hair loss and balding are nightmares. "As an actor loses hair, they lose work," says David Shusterman, hair transplant surgeon and founder of New York Medicine Doctors, which treats a number of models, producers and actors."

and, from Chris Evans

"I'm supposed to be this superior human. How horrible would it be if this superior man has male pattern baldness?"

Literally means "If you have male pattern baldness, you are an inferior human."

This also takes me back to when the new Mummy was coming out and I saw on this one social media post "Why not bring back Fraser!" and the first reply was "He is balding terribly."

It's a shame that, for as much the public idolizes and emulates celebrities, they are unwilling to emulate the call to action for a condition they fully acknowledge destroys appearances, opportunity, and causes one to be viewed as an inferior person.

EDIT: @Roberto_72 , god damn it. It made the "H" in "how" lowercase on me. Please fix this and put my OCD at peace.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
An article from a few weeks back on Hollywood Reporter

Some stand-out quotes:

"For those whose visages are plastered on increasingly high-def screens around the world, hair loss and balding are nightmares. "As an actor loses hair, they lose work," says David Shusterman, hair transplant surgeon and founder of New York Medicine Doctors, which treats a number of models, producers and actors."

and, from Chris Evans

"I'm supposed to be this superior human. How horrible would it be if this superior man has male pattern baldness?"

Literally means "If you have male pattern baldness, you are an inferior human."

This also takes me back to when the new Mummy was coming out and I saw on this one social media post "Why not bring back Fraser!" and the first reply was "He is balding terribly."

It's a shame that, for as much the public idolizes and emulates celebrities, they are unwilling to emulate the call to action for a condition they fully acknowledge destroys appearances, opportunity, and causes one to be viewed as an inferior person.

EDIT: @Roberto_72 , god damn it. It made the "H" in "how" lowercase on me. Please fix this and put my OCD at peace.
Can't. It is a bug of he forum we discussed in the past with Admin. If you use inverted commas, it will make the following letter lowercase.

blackg

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about that "h." I got the gist of it.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that Henry Cavill's receding hairline is widely commented on, as he's supposed to be playing Superman.

My brother and I have discussed his hairloss on several occasions, and we both agree he will not suit the bald look. He's got the height and the build etc, but he won't suit at anyways.

Fortunately for him, he seems to have an intact crown area. If he cathes(ed) it early, he's golden.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
My brother and I have discussed his hairloss on several occasions, and we both agree he will not suit the bald look. He's got the height and the build etc, but he won't suit at anyways.

Fortunately for him, he seems to have an intact crown area. If he cathes(ed) it early, he's golden.

It doesn't matter much as I don't see him having a great career anyway. Superman is his big break but the first movie was average and the second was one of the worst I've seen. He's supposedly better in Man From Uncle but very few people saw that.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
they get away with it fro a LONG time though.

I know a lot of actors and they have hair loss it's not obvious to viewers

many of them have a frontal hair transplant where it is very packed with a hair piece behind it or in middle.
they come with their 'own' hair person they like to work with.

Kind of like Ted Danson had this and was pretty open about it.

They just cant let people 'know' too much.

I saw a film from 2009 with Brendan Fraiser and i realized he was wearing a very good hair piece.

So he must have been hiding his hair loss in films for a LONG time...he must have gotten to point like "f*** it" because he gained weight as well..I think he is probably more interested at this point in just doing character work.

I think its once men get into 50s its hard for them to keep hiding it (John Travolta it looks awful mostly because he keeps the color so artificial)

With character actors, people are very forgiving about hair loss and wearing various hair pieces...its mostly the romantic or super hero leads people are so harsh.

Last edited:

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter much as I don't see him having a great career anyway. Superman is his big break but the first movie was average and the second was one of the worst I've seen. He's supposedly better in Man From Uncle but very few people saw that.

I agree with you totally. It doesn't lessen my sympathies for him, however. Superman movies with him were far below the bar that Christopher Reeve and Tom Welling had set, while the latter may be disputable.

We (my brother an I) often talk filmography as this is one of many passions that we share, and here the topic has also been how modern filmography has lost out on so much talent because of the importance of looks. In what fairytale would Sylvester Stallone with his original looks get to do Rocky in today's world? What about Anthony Hopkins and so many, many more great actors with not so great looks? Robert de Niro, Jack Nicholson, Sean Penn...

I think we have lost so much in term of quality and talent just because of focus on aestetics.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Something that has crossed my mind, and that I haven't quite understood how come to be is Ian Somerhalder's solution to his hair loss. I mean, he was obviously balding even during Lost, and then he appears in The Vampire Diaries with a full head. I think maybe he's had a super good and intelligent transplant with a conservative hairline, and just adapted his hairstyle to it. Anyway, I'm impressed how he's ''gotten away with it'' and managed to actuelly become something of a sex symbol for youger girls.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you totally. It doesn't lessen my sympathies for him, however. Superman movies with him were far below the bar that Christopher Reeve and Tom Welling had set, while the latter may be disputable.

We (my brother an I) often talk filmography as this is one of many passions that we share, and here the topic has also been how modern filmography has lost out on so much talent because of the importance of looks. In what fairytale would Sylvester Stallone with his original looks get to do Rocky in today's world? What about Anthony Hopkins and so many, many more great actors with not so great looks? Robert de Niro, Jack Nicholson, Sean Penn...

I think we have lost so much in term of quality and talent just because of focus on aestetics.

There's a large debate as to whether or not modern films are declining, it's hard to say as we're biased since we're living in the present. Overall though the box office, as in the set of movies people actually watch, is certainly more homogeneous. Films like 2001, Breakfast at Tiffany's, or the Godfather might be cultural blips if they can out now.

There are some good independent films, smaller films, etc that are made but most people don't hear about them. When they do, it's often for fraudulent independent films such as the documentary what the health. Luckily I'm in a film group locally and I got to see a few good films lately. There's also an independent friendly theatre close to my house.

It may also be a reflection of the audience that we prefer visual candy like Jurassic World over genuine narrative.

Back to your original point. Often when I hear people say that "they really like the character" in a film context, I often "good looking white person looking like they're having fun."

One exception is Jennifer Lawrence. She's hot yes, she's also a terrific actress.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something that has crossed my mind, and that I haven't quite understood how come to be is Ian Somerhalder's solution to his hair loss. I mean, he was obviously balding even during Lost, and then he appears in The Vampire Diaries with a full head. I think maybe he's had a super good and intelligent transplant with a conservative hairline, and just adapted his hairstyle to it. Anyway, I'm impressed how he's ''gotten away with it'' and managed to actuelly become something of a sex symbol for youger girls.

I never watched Lost so I had no idea. If you look up pictures of IS from when he was 20... He was absurdly good looking. Not so much anymore though, by the end of VD his face had gotten puffy, and he wasn't taking off his shirt all the time like in season one. I take that to mean that he gained ten lbs.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sylvester Stallone paved his own way. No one really handed him anything easily. He is multi talented he wrote directed and produced Rocky. It was NOT expected to be a hit.

It's not that looks are more or less important to audiences, its that the studios stopped letting directors run the show. If you look at the 'lookism' of realy old Hollywood films looks ere just as important then as today just different criteria because Studios ran the shows.
in 70s until early 80s Directors ran their own shows...without interference just unending $$$..Until Micheal Cimeno kind of fucked it up for everyone else and studios started to reign sh*t back in.

Most directors don't care that much about looks they care about being photogenic--which is not the same thing (well for men at least, women this is different story to a degree)...its studios that are about looks and all the other stuff that comes with it. And now perhaps the younger audiences, not sure.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

LOL I explained this.

they get transplants and partial hair pieces. Transplant pack the front and put a piece behind it.

IF he is doing this I honestly dont remember him balding.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Chris Evans is likely on anti-androgens, his hair loss seems to have stopped. Likely 90%+ of guys in Hollywood are. The rest are using pieces and there's a fringe that doesn't care and continues to bald, settling into their position of supporting character roles

Anti-androgens, transplants, pieces, concealer....unless you're NW7 you can pull off fullhead appearances if you're really committed to it

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Look even Beckham is thinning and Josh Brolin

Unknown-12.jpeg

2.jpg

charlie sheen balding.jpg

main-qimg-d9f1ae8038a73688bf6b6d697e6897b4-c.jpeg

not sure this is a before after or an after before.

Brendan-Frader-Hair-Transplant.jpg

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good posts. I'm annoyed by the fact that I'm no longer young and have lost hair, but my life and income doesn't depend on those things like the Hollywood stars. There must be some unbelievable rage they have at times.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good posts. I'm annoyed by the fact that I'm no longer young and have lost hair, but my life and income doesn't depend on those things like the Hollywood stars. There must be some unbelievable rage they have at times.

I think it depends
if they already at a movie star God status like Chris Evans and lets say hypothetically his hair declines over next 10 years...he already hit unbelievable wealth with the franchise he was in.

He has an 'actor' side meaning he likes to act in small projects that focus on his acting skills (which are debatable) you will often see him make small script oriented films...so he may not care it really depends on his personality as an actor.

Some actors are true visual narsacists who want to be adored for how they look.
Some want to be adored inspite of their looks for the 'acting chops'.

Its funny because some are just good looking pieces of meat and mediocre actors at best who really really really want to be seen as good quality actors...and they just don't have it in them and it 'kills' them.
They f*****g know it. And its like this carrot they constantly chase and they cant get it.

the cream floats to top in my opinion...if hair looks and are devastated, IF you are a good actor (or actress) you will get work into older years that is quality over quantity and you will not care that much especially if you made money when young.

I mean I would rather be a male actor at God status for 10 to 15 years MAKE a TON of money..DO what Ashton Kutcher does INVEST in a lot of things that will build serious wealth..and then as I age either focus on more meaty roles of a character actor OR just segway out of industry into other ventures.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Beckham looked very thin @ Wimbledon

My curiosity about him is IF we can see this thinning--i wonder if he is using topik or concealer and we are not seeing full story? Make sense?
I would think a man at that level of caring about his looks would be using concealer already.