How fucked am I? I’m only 22 and it looks bad

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re diffusing plus you look to be a Norwood 2.5, going on 3. Based on your genetics and your age, this is aggressive loss that will surely get worse. Without finasteride, you won’t be able to hold onto this for long. minoxidil can maintain you for maybe another 2 to 5 years depending on response to it. I’d study finasteride a bit more and see if it’s right for you

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay thank you :)
Do you think it’s possible with finasteride that I would be able to reverse some of the damage to the hairline already done?
I am also considering whether this is just progressing too fast and my best bet might be to hold onto what I have for as long as possible before getting some kind of transplant. I’m really not sure

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay thank you :)
Do you think it’s possible with finasteride that I would be able to reverse some of the damage to the hairline already done?
I am also considering whether this is just progressing too fast and my best bet might be to hold onto what I have for as long as possible before getting some kind of transplant. I’m really not sure
There’s no guarantee it’ll reverse the completely bald spots on your temples. But it’ll thicken up the areas where hair is and if you’re a good responder might thicken up the edge of bald areas to give you a better shaped hair line. Minoxidil is what might actually grow hair there but it’s hard to predict

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay thank you for your help. Is there anything I should try beside that? A dermoroller for example or anything I might not have considered?

Dakuwaqa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on the big 3 and you’ll most likely to keep what you’ve got for 10 years or more. Even though you’re clearly losing ground your head of hair looks fine to look at. You’re not too far gone. Get on it ASAP

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on the big 3 and you’ll most likely to keep what you’ve got for 10 years or more. Even though you’re clearly losing ground your head of hair looks fine to look at. You’re not too far gone. Get on it ASAP

Okay thank you that is re-assuring. Do you think there is any hope of re-growing around the hairline? Also I am so new here I don’t even know what the big 3 are. Finasteride, minoxidil and? Thanks again

Dakuwaqa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay thank you that is re-assuring. Do you think there is any hope of re-growing around the hairline? Also I am so new here I don’t even know what the big 3 are. Finasteride, minoxidil and? Thanks again

maybe a bit but don’t expect a huge improvement. Just be happy if you can keep what you’ve got. I’ve been on finasteride for 4 years and I haven’t lost a single hair since. However I haven’t had any obvious regrowth. The third is Nizoral shampoo.

Out of the three finasteride is by far the most important. The other two are like the cherry’s on the cake.

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe a bit but don’t expect a huge improvement. Just be happy if you can keep what you’ve got. I’ve been on finasteride for 4 years and I haven’t lost a single hair since. However I haven’t had any obvious regrowth. The third is Nizoral shampoo.

Out of the three finasteride is by far the most important. The other two are like the cherry’s on the cake.

Okay that’s great thank you. It’s only the side effects that put me off but I will give it a try. It sounds like finasteride has worked well for you but have you experienced side effects also?

Dakuwaqa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay that’s great thank you. It’s only the side effects that put me off but I will give it a try. It sounds like finasteride has worked well for you but have you experienced side effects also?
No side effects. Maybe at the beginning felt slightly ‘off’ but it didn’t last more than a few weeks. I might as well be taking a sugar pill now.

Like yourself I was nervous about the side effects but when I saw how my hair was going I just thought ‘f##t it let’s do this’.

If I hadn’t started when I had I would no doubt be buzzing my hair now. Instead I have a Norwood 2.5 that looks actually not bad for my age.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
My advice is to go topical finasteride minoxidil combo if you can. It would be nice to have new cases who started topically to see if it is better option than oral.

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My advice is to go topical finasteride minoxidil combo if you can. It would be nice to have new cases who started topically to see if it is better option than oral.

Thank you :)
Do you know from previous experience what the consensus is? Is topical going to be less effective? It would definitely be less risky in terms of side effects but is it going to comprise the effectiveness? Many thanks

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thank you :)
Do you know from previous experience what the consensus is? Is topical going to be less effective? It would definitely be less risky in terms of side effects but is it going to comprise the effectiveness? Many thanks
I asked one representative from a prominent hair transplant surgeon and they are claiming topical is just as effective with less frequent side effects than oral. If you want to go oral than it will be cheaper and easier so it is up to you.

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I asked one representative from a prominent hair transplant surgeon and they are claiming topical is just as effective with less frequent side effects than oral. If you want to go oral than it will be cheaper and easier so it is up to you.

I’m happy to spend more if that’s the case I’m just suspicious because it sounds too good to be true

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Topical finasteride won't be as effective as oral because oral is systemic whereas topical is localized. Which clinic claimed this? Topical can still be effective depending on absorption and concentration.

At this point, you need to be on oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. The chances of side effects on oral finasteride are 5%. You can always try a lower dose if you're having side effects and if that doesn't work you can try topical finasteride. I haven't had a patient with side effects from topical finasteride.

Feel free to reach out anytime here or privately and best of luck buddy.
Do you have a clinic? Are you a real hair transplant doctor? I don't want to mention the clinic just in case the person who relayed the message was not too reliable. I would think oral finasteride would be a better choice but what if the person is afraid of sides. I think he is more likely to have sides if he thinks he will.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
thats not bad at all. Just start finasteride and forget about it

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride won't be as effective as oral because oral is systemic whereas topical is localized. Which clinic claimed this? Topical can still be effective depending on absorption and concentration.

At this point, you need to be on oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. The chances of side effects on oral finasteride are 5%. You can always try a lower dose if you're having side effects and if that doesn't work you can try topical finasteride. I haven't had a patient with side effects from topical finasteride.

Feel free to reach out anytime here or privately and best of luck buddy.

Thank you for your message I appreciate the help! The thing is I am really skeptical of the 5% statistic. I only know one person who tried this medication and they had to stop due to side effects after 3 weeks, and when I read reviews online it seems like everyone has had the same issues. It seems like a big risk to potentially destroy my sex life forever for the chance to prevent further hair loss. I might go the topical route and see what benefit that brings and then look into a transplant for further down the line.

wellheweare456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thats not bad at all. Just start finasteride and forget about it

I have found a place that offer topical finasteride and minoxidil for £44 a month so I’m considering that. Do you think that will be sufficient or is there more I should be doing? Many thanks