How Exactly Are Bald Men Perceived? A Bit More Of A Scientific Approach

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I was looking at my shitty diffuse NW3 today. I've been on propecia, topical and oral (I plan to go all pill once the topical solution I bought runs out, currently alternating between .5 mg and the topical every other day, in addition to minoxidil and 2% ketacozanole, also added in derma rolling recently with a 1.5 mm roller). I've already suffered from side effects from these meds, I've gotten dark circles under my eyes from all the minoxidil I was using before I started fina, and I'm constantly terrified of fina sides so even if they haven't manifested physically I've had boner problems due to it for sure, even if only psychological. I also monitor and post on this stupid board way too much. So in short this disease is eating me up.

So why not shave it bro? My brother was NW4 at 23 and did just that, hasn't looked back in the 3 years since and advises me to do so. I don't think I have to tell you gentlemen (and pasbrilliante, evillocks and our other esteemed ladies of HairLossTalk.com) what the general opinion is around here. Our friend IKickedHairsAss aside it's pretty much equated to the aesthetic version of cancer. Castration and even death are preferable for many of our members here. Certainly, how you feel about your own self-image is deeply personal, and no survey or study could ever affect that. What I find on this sub-fora, though, are a lot of unsourced claims that bald men are "genetic trash" ugly losers who will never amount to anything (I've heard worse calumnies against the bald here than I have heard anywhere else from anyone, in fact). In truth, I think there's some truth to what's said here--the old canard "bald is sexy" seems stupid and untrue on its face. But then it seems that everything just naturally falls downward, yet we know gravity is at work; it seems that nothing surrounds us when there's no wind about, but we know the air we breath is a fluid consisting of oxygen and nitrogen; it seems sun revolves around us, but we know the opposite to be true. So what does science have to say?

If you do a google search in English on the subject, news reports referencing this study come up:

http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/DPlab/papers/publishedPapers/Mannes_2012_ Shorn scalps and perceptions of male dominance.pdf

It's a great starting point, especially considering a ton of the new reports literally contradict the study they're supposedly reporting on (they also have come out recently, when this study came out in 2012 strangely).

The paper is actually 3 studies. In the first, students enrolled in an MBA program in a US Uni were selected, mixed white and black white, shaved and full head. Their pictures were then shown to 59 US Uni students (presumably at a different uni?) and they were rated on Dominance, Agreeableness, Attractiveness, and Age. The shorn headed were rated much more dominant, slightly more agreeable, less attractive, and older than the full heads.

The second was done online with a survey size of (ultimately) 344. They were shown pics of four of the white men with hair featured in the above study who were rate similarly, but 4 additional pics were created by digitally removing their hair, thus producing eight pictures. The 344 online participants rated the men and their bald doppelgangers on dominance, confidence, norm violation (normal-abnormal, proper-improper, seemly-unseemly), masculinity, attractiveness, age, height, strength, and leadership potential. The shorn headed men were rated as less attractive, older, more confident, stronger, taller, slightly less likely to break norms, more dominant, and possessing more leadership potential.

Finally, the third study ultimately 552 online participants were paid to evaluate a written description. The description, very detailed, described a man's age, height, ethnicity, and other qualities, but different participants were either told that the man had a shaved head, thinning hair or thick hair. The description of the shaved headed man was rated on the same metrics as above. The written description was scored very similarly to the visuals vis-a-vis the thick haired and the shaved head, with the only differences between the shaved head and the thick hair being that here the shaved head was perceived as more likely to break norms and less confident, contra the visual survey. The thinning hair, though, scored worse on almost every metric than both the shaved and thick hair.

Take-aways: as I've known for a long time, you can't trust news reports on scientific studies. Many of the news reports literally reported that bald men were perceived as "more attractive" even though the study says the opposite. Overall, the feeling around here that baldness hurts a man's looks was definitely confirmed.

Also no surprise, from the last experiment it's obvious that hair which is visibly balding does much more damage than a shaved bic top.

The feelings on most of the other categories besides attractiveness for the slick bald were very positive I must say, and they now have me seriously thinking about shaving. True, I won't be able to hop on Tinder or POF and get laid.....but at this point in my life my career is more important to me, and the dominance and masculinity boost seems like a definite advantage in the corporate world, especially in the relatively beta-male IT space I work in. And besides, my hair-driven depression has me in no condition to slay anyways. Also the boost to the perception of height and strength would be a good thing for me, accentuating some of my better features, since I'm 6'1 and pretty "beefy." The attractiveness hit is a real bummer, but is it really worth the mental torture of hair loss obsession and f*****g around with a dangerous drug like finasteride? Side note, I'm going to try to post more studies in this thread, if we could keep the discussion based in empirical studies I think that would be cool.

Last edited:

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Reading most of that was a condcede and refute tactic to reach the reasonable and logical side of the forum. Which is good btw. It's difficult to really pinpoint scientifically, as much of your post agrees on there's too many variables.

One thing I'll say is in my opinion, in general, facial features predominately can make-up from perceived disadvantages. Like height, hair, etc. Social status if high enough, can land points. This discussion can go on forever.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Male subjects:

how-the-rock-went-from-failed-football-player-to-the-highest-paid-actor-in-hollywood.jpg

ba4004606bbcf91db9d8c39fd5bc7715--handsome-faces-soccer-players.jpg

images.jpeg

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Joking (sort of) aside what exactly are we talking about with "shorn head"? Because without NW3 horse shoe pattern, a much higher percentage of guys do not lose significant points by having NW2 stubble (and for some with temple recession it suits, which is why they do it).

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I can gather they were all the way down to nothing, no stubble, like Christian Bale in that awful pic on the makeup thread. I assume for the digital photoshop it was just a chrome dome.

Last edited:

orkun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do this experiment with honest girls yourself,
their response is good.
male idea is invalid

Last edited:

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
As a teenager who will 100% go bald at early 20's, i've decided to suck it up and just lay down and rot and accept that i'll be a virgin forever.

I know it's depressing like hell to live your whole life and especially your youth like that, but what you gotta do, there's really nothing to be done but acceptance.

And people ask me why i sound like a psychopath with shitty attitude.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
As a teenager who will 100% go bald at early 20's, i've decided to suck it up and just lay down and rot and accept that i'll be a virgin forever.

I know it's depressing like hell to live your whole life and especially your youth like that, but what you gotta do, there's really nothing to be done but acceptance.

And people ask me why i sound like a psychopath with shitty attitude.
يا رجل انا والله فاعم عليك
انا آخذ فيناستيرايد حاليا وعندي اثآر جانبية راح اضطر اتوقف عن الدواء
بعد اقل من سنة راح اكون نوروود 5 ولا 6
قبل سنتين بس كنت حلو قوي قوي كنت اروح على تيندر لاقابل البنات وكنت امارس الجنس معهم احيانا نفس اليوم مرات بسيارتي حتى في اماكن عامة
اعرف اكيد ده ما راح يجري ثاني مرة ابدا
قررت اني راح اقوم بحلاقة راسي كاملا بعد راس السنة. الساعة 2 بالصباح هنا في كاليفورنيا وانا اقعد على تختي باكيا على شعري. انا عايز اموت والله بصراحة مش عايز اعيش اكثر
بس يا اخوي في ناس في عايلة يحبونا لازم نعيش عشانهم. لو نموت حيتحزنوا وده غير عادل.

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It makes you uglier, appear more "naked", more vulnerable, less able to express yourself, so more generic, so people will trust you less in general.

People see a clone, no hair = less information to be able to tell who you are and what you're up to.

When you see someone with a cool hair style, or just hair really, you'll be more likely to think that... they're cool basically, and trustworthy.

I'm looking at the hairstyles of my coworkers at the office right now, and every hair style tells a story "he's that kind of person who want to be seen as intellectual and serious" and "he's the kind of guy who want to present himself as hip and open-minded", and those interpretations actually match those people's actual personality. So it's no accident.

A bald guy on the other hand? You interpretation mechanism draws a blank, and it's unsettling.

It's no coincidence that I'm now insisting on trust, in the last few weeks, I've let my hair grow longer (I had a hair transplant but I still shaved it close) and I can tell that people's reaction towards me is different, especially (older) women.

More smiles, more politeness, more automatic trust basically.

That's why I hate the idea of being forced to be "the bald guy" if you just don't want to be that person.

That's what I try to tell that people that I wish I wouldn't have to present myself as a bald person, that's just not the image I want to project in this world, that's not how I want people to see me.

And when you think about it, who are the men who are the most likely to shave their heads by choice? Thugs, hooligans, criminals, people whose goal is to inspire fear and distrust.

So yeah, if you don't fall into that category, there's little advantages to being bald.
The halo effect.

blackg

Reaction score
قبل سنتين بس كنت حلو قوي قوي كنت اروح على تيندر لاقابل البنات وكنت امارس الجنس معهم احيانا نفس اليوم مرات بسيارتي حتى في اماكن عامة
قررت اني راح اقوم بحلاقة راسي كاملا بعد راس السنة. الساعة 2 بالصباح هنا في كاليفورنيا وانا اقعد على تختي باكيا على شعري. انا عايز اموت والله بصراحة مش عايز اعيش اكثر
بس يا اخوي في ناس في عايلة يحبونا لازم نعيش عشانهم. لو نموت حيتحزنوا وده غير عادل.
Arabic is all Greek to me.

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
انا كنت نوروود 1 السنة الماضية و كان شعري كثيف حاليا انا نوروود 2.5 بشعر نحيف جدا من المقدمة و شعري يتساقط بمعدل 250+ شعرة في اليوم. انا قصير و جسمي صغير نوعا ما و جبهة الرأس عندي كبيرة، لهذا سيصبح شكلي قبيح و سيء جدا لو اصبحت اصلعا و خصوصا في سن صغيرة.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
انا كنت نوروود 1 السنة الماضية و كان شعري كثيف حاليا انا نوروود 2.5 بشعر نحيف جدا من المقدمة و شعري يتساقط بمعدل 250+ شعرة في اليوم. انا قصير و جسمي صغير نوعا ما و جبهة الرأس عندي كبيرة، لهذا سيصبح شكلي قبيح و سيء جدا لو اصبحت اصلعا و خصوصا في سن صغيرة.

فهمت عليك. جربت الدواء؟ في راي انا بقيت عند نوروود 3 لمدة 4 سنين بفضل المينوكسيديل فقط. ومعظم الناس اللي يستخدموا فيناستيرايد ما عندهمش اثآر جانبية.
انا حساسي جدا للدواء كانت عندي اثآر جانبية من الكثير من الادويات
على الاقل اعرف انه معظم المصريين يصيروا صلع وهم بشبابهم انت ما راح تكون وحيدا

Last edited:

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score

I got emotional bro let's keep it in English. You're 17 you might still grow taller yet. Like I said alot of Egyptians become bald in their youth so you won't be alone. You should try weight lifting too, Egyptian body builders are usually very impressive.

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
فهمت علبك. جربت الدواء؟ في راي انا بقيت عند نوروود 3 لمدة 4 سنبن بفضل المينوكسيديل وحيدا. ومعظم الناس اللي يستخدموا فيناستيرايد ما عندهمش اثآر جانبية.
انا حساسي جدا للدواء كانت عندي اثآر جانبية من الكثير من الادويات
على الاقل اعرف انه معظم المصريين يصيروا صلع وهم بشبابهم انت ما راح تكون وحيدا
الطبيعي هنا الصلع يبدأ من سن 22 و يصبح واضحا في سن 28-30، لكن انا عند سن ال22 سأكون نوروود 7. انا سأبدأ في دوتاستيرايد و مينوكسيديل لتوقيف الصلع و لنمو بعض الشعر و تكثيفه (اتمنى ان اكون محظوظا مع الدواء

blackg

Reaction score
الطبيعي هنا الصلع يبدأ من سن 22 و يصبح واضحا في سن 28-30، لكن انا عند سن ال22 سأكون نوروود 7. انا سأبدأ في دوتاستيرايد و مينوكسيديل لتوقيف الصلع و لنمو بعض الشعر و تكثيفه (اتمنى ان اكون محظوظا مع الدواء
Come on!! English please.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score

Don't start on Duta that's too much. Especially at your age it cab f*** you up, it could stunt youe growth (amongst other things). Stick to fina and see if you get sides.

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got emotional bro let's keep it in English. You're 17 you might still grow taller yet. Like I said alot of Egyptians become bald in their youth so you won't be alone. You should try weight lifting too, Egyptian body builders are usually very impressive.
I hope i'll grow taller, but chances are low given that i've not grown in years. I can't pull off the bald look due to lack of facial aethetics, masculinity, height, etc.

I'll be a hat prisoner when i go bald and will just stick to some activites and hobbies to cope with it.