How close are we to FUE using hair cloning?

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't believe this treatment will be available before 7-10 years for "regular" ppl. And this is me being extremely optimistic. 5 years? Not a chance. There are some things that I want to see before being optimistic like some ppl around here.

I have yet to see tests in human beings. I have to see a picture of few cloned hairs grown on a human being. And I have to read they these hairs are OK after a long time and that the patient is also healthy. I have to watch the first serious attempt to "cure" a bald guy and I have to read they they were successful.

After that, maybe, I guess I will finally starts to warm up the idea of regular ppl being able to afford the treatment in a near future.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember back in the year ~2002, one regular poster from another forum said early 2004 while another guy said not before 2015. Everyone bashed the guy who said 2015. Other predictions were 5 years away back then and 5 years away now. Don't get me wrong. I want this as soon as possible but history has shown that it takes time and often LUCK!
A successfully cloned human hair was first accomplished in 2013. We're talking about commercial availability 10-15 years after this was done here.

Are we supposed to compare this to people on a forum making baseless predictions 11 years before it was even successful in a petri dish? The comparison of timelines and predictions is irrelevant, people like to make predictions based on timelines that would be suitable for themselves, not where the actual science is. Now the science is "proven" from a pre-clinical proof of concept perspective, and the final step is how it translates on humans. In most clinical settings, this is a 5-8 year process from exactly where Tsuji & Stemson are now. This is no different.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
This tech is at least 20 years away because the technology AND medical advancements are not there yet. Remember they are trying to clone an organ. Have we been able to do this with other organs? No, the best we have potentially is stem cells and so far the stem cell treatments don't seem to be very effective. You need a big breakthrough in medical research and the technological advancement to effectively give you an application. Even if they have a proven concept to grow new hairs, what makes you think those hairs are going to grow long? Have growth cycles? Not get rejected? Cost effective? Efficient? I think the best we can get in 20 years is the graft yields being near perfect with minimal scarring. That way a guy can just move every hair from the sides to the scalp and have not horrible scarring and very few lost grafts.

Try again. Also, you might try actually reading the studies/data put out by these companies, mainly Stemson & Tsuji. Literally everything you mentioned from, growth, cycles, rejection and cost efficiency is addressed.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score

Try again. Also, you might try actually reading the studies/data put out by these companies, mainly Stemson & Tsuji. Literally everything you mentioned from, growth, cycles, rejection and cost efficiency is addressed.
It all sounds good but it hasn't been used in any application. Like I said, even if you clone a hair can you make an application with it.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It all sounds good but it hasn't been used in any application. Like I said, even if you clone a hair can you make an application with it.
Go look at the pictures of the mice with cloned hair on their backs using human cells. That seems like "an application" to me.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The skin on mice is very different from skin on humans.
You should tell the scientists about that, not sure if they factored that into their calculations. Clearly they've wasted years of their lives for nothing.

I just think that pessimism against the science itself is useless. You clearly are not in tune with the speed in which scientific innovation has picked up in the last 5-7 years alone if you think 20 years is a reasonable timeframe for this type of medical treatment to be available. I would wager we're under 10 years away from the first developed/cloned "real" organ (heart, liver, etc) from being used in organ transplants in humans, and these are much more complex organs. Sure they might not be available to every person who needs an organ, but it will be achieved.

For hair, if it's not one of these programs/companies, it will be the next batch, but it's under 10 years away from being successful, of that I almost can guarantee.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol. Easily, go to google, check for post on regrowth.com , hairsite.com and here . from 1998 , " 5 to ten years " . It is always 5 to 10 years away.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol. Easily, go to google, check for post on regrowth.com , hairsite.com and here . from 1998 , " 5 to ten years " . It is always 5 to 10 years away.
It's almost like science is progressive, or something. A year of scientific research in 2021 is probably worth more then the entire decade of 1990-2000, where they were not even allowed to use human tissue in lab studies and didn't have a fraction of the computing power they do today. Stop using this as some sort of base of estimate, it's irrelevant.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly. Finding sites in 1999 with the same crap about growing hair on mice. Any bald mouse should face social stigma because they have about 100 cures for baldness.
Learn to actually tell what's meaningful and what isn't, first. Growing hair on mice, who do not possess baldness nor human genes is not impressive, you are correct, it's sh*t that's been happening for decades and rarely translates to humans at all.

Cloning a hair follicle onto a fully nude mouse using human cells and implanting it, growing natural characteristics, density and full hair cycles? Never been done before until Tsuji/Stemson published their pre-clinical data. The skin might be different, but these are human cells. Soon we will have the outcome from using pig skin, more akin to humans. I see little reason why this won't translate if that research is a success. The bigger question marks will be quality and durability.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Learn to actually tell what's meaningful and what isn't, first. Growing hair on mice, who do not possess baldness nor human genes is not impressive, you are correct, it's sh*t that's been happening for decades and rarely translates to humans at all.

Cloning a hair follicle onto a fully nude mouse using human cells and implanting it, growing natural characteristics, density and full hair cycles? Never been done before until Tsuji/Stemson published their pre-clinical data. The skin might be different, but these are human cells. Soon we will have the outcome from using pig skin, more akin to humans. I see little reason why this won't translate if that research is a success. The bigger question marks will be quality and durability.
No need to get personal here. Anyway, this work isn't easy and a lot of things can go wrong and for applications there may be obstacles to get over. It may take time for this to go mainstream as well. I'm not even sure how long clinical trials would be. Having multiple Hair cycles can take years.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

Agree, but it is the same. It is in mouse ! It is not somehting like " It can pass years or decades till they do human trials.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
No need to get personal here. Anyway, this work isn't easy and a lot of things can go wrong and for applications there may be obstacles to get over. It may take time for this to go mainstream as well. I'm not even sure how long clinical trials would be. Having multiple Hair cycles can take years.
I wasn't making it personal, I was just saying that when evaluating the value of data "you" (everyone) need to be able to discern what's valuable in it. Those sites in 1999 were not doing that, and neither are people in this thread who are just saying "another mouse study".

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think we should see the market of hair transplants to predict when hair clone should be feasible.

In the begin, the transplant have many problems. Like scar performed by FUT and bad result of transplated hair (famous doll hair).

And along these 10 years, the hair transplante technique improved to techniques that gives a natural look and are less invasive to do the procedure (FUE).

The next barrier probaly is the limit of Donor Area. And since it is a market that is probaly growthing (I didn't research about it in other countries, but I'm confident it's growing a lot, and in my country, I know it is).

Then I expect, by the time of evolution of process of hair transplant to resolve problems, and the finantial potencial of this market, that we will have a procedure of hair clone soon (solving the barrier of Donor Area), in a range of 5-10 years. Other point that is relevant to it, of course, is the evolution of technology, that is scaling fast. More fast than the past decades.

But my main arguees are: See the evolution in recent years of the Hair Transplant and "follow the money" (as hair transplant is a big demand, then people will work to solve its problems, and have profit).

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember back in the year ~2002, one regular poster from another forum said early 2004 while another guy said not before 2015. Everyone bashed the guy who said 2015. Other predictions were 5 years away back then and 5 years away now. Don't get me wrong. I want this as soon as possible but history has shown that it takes time and often LUCK!
That is an illogical way to determine the potential and timeframe of new treatments. Today is not 2002, the situation now is different than it was then. Technology is more advanced. At some point "cloning" will be here and by your logic people will be assuming it's 20 years away up until the day it is released. People in 2002 were overly optimistic and because of that people in 2021 are overly pessimistic

Last edited:

max310

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m here since 2010 and I can assure you NO HAIR CLONING IS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS FROM NOW. THINK 2040’s

I have seen this conversation done like a 100 times before. People get excited and say “5 years maximum” .. a 10 year passes and everybody’s balding area becomes bigger & bigger.

I learned to disregard this forum altogether as it was causing me severe depression.

I come here every 3-4 months to have a laugh at the new “technology” while being dead sure NOTHING WILL HAPPEN FOR THE NEXT 20-30 years.. in which.. I will be already expired. Maybe dead lol.

Not interested about seeing my grandkids full head of hair. Fuk em anyway.

nicoandgello

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m here since 2010 and I can assure you NO HAIR CLONING IS GOING TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE NEXT 20 YEARS FROM NOW. THINK 2040’s

I have seen this conversation done like a 100 times before. People get excited and say “5 years maximum” .. a 10 year passes and everybody’s balding area becomes bigger & bigger.

I learned to disregard this forum altogether as it was causing me severe depression.

I come here every 3-4 months to have a laugh at the new “technology” while being dead sure NOTHING WILL HAPPEN FOR THE NEXT 20-30 years.. in which.. I will be already expired. Maybe dead lol.

2rdkbw.png

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey I'm agreeing with you. I'm expecting 20 years or more. That's why I use finasteride.