How Bad Is It Now? Time To Do Something? Age 22

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just turned 22. I posted here 1.5 years ago and although I still have my hair I have noticed it's definitely getting worse. I didn't take any action after last time I posted, the only thing I'm currently doing is using pura d'or shampoo for the last couple of months (I know, I know - but I didn't want to jump straight to finasteride)

Here are the photos from October 2019: https://imgur.com/a/sdxDLVj
Here are the photos from today: https://imgur.com/a/oZMZFqc

I feel like my overall density is maybe slightly thinner, but it's mainly the front/temples that I've seen receed/thin a little more. What are your thoughts? (I will add that the photos taken today are in harsher lighting with the light right above me, but it's definitely gotten worse)

The thing is I've never been told I'm balding or even receeding by anyone ever, and I know I'm quite self critical sometimes so I didn't want to just jump on finasteride or minoxidil irrationally.

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!
As most people, I'm a little worried about taking finasteride, but I also really REALLY don't want to lose my hair or receed much further in my early 20s.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sijac09

My Regimen
Reaction score
They do look very similar, but hard to say. If your really worried and you are sure that you’re receeding, then I’d jump on Finasteride to help prevent any further hair loss. I wish I jumped on it years ago

Onni

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some hairloss, but doesn't mean you're losing your hair for many years

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just turned 22. I posted here 1.5 years ago and although I still have my hair I have noticed it's definitely getting worse. I didn't take any action after last time I posted, the only thing I'm currently doing is using pura d'or shampoo for the last couple of months (I know, I know - but I didn't want to jump straight to finasteride)

Here are the photos from October 2019: https://imgur.com/a/sdxDLVj
Here are the photos from today: https://imgur.com/a/oZMZFqc

I feel like my overall density is maybe slightly thinner, but it's mainly the front/temples that I've seen receed/thin a little more. What are your thoughts? (I will add that the photos taken today are in harsher lighting with the light right above me, but it's definitely gotten worse)

The thing is I've never been told I'm balding or even receeding by anyone ever, and I know I'm quite self critical sometimes so I didn't want to just jump on finasteride or minoxidil irrationally.

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think!
As most people, I'm a little worried about taking finasteride, but I also really REALLY don't want to lose my hair or receed much further in my early 20s.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
You are forming the typical mature hairline(NW2). Like most people, your right side is more recessed than your left. If you have a family history of balding and don't want to lose your hair in your 20's then finasteride with minoxidil would be your best option. Only you can really know if your density has changed. My hair looks so dense in photos but in person it's not. If you are worried about finasteride then use it topically.

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses!

You are forming the typical mature hairline(NW2). Like most people, your right side is more recessed than your left. If you have a family history of balding and don't want to lose your hair in your 20's then finasteride with minoxidil would be your best option. Only you can really know if your density has changed. My hair looks so dense in photos but in person it's not. If you are worried about finasteride then use it topically.

Okay thanks, and yeah my right definitely is a lot worse than my left, didn't realise this was common haha. Maybe I might wait. I was thinking I can deal with a bit of recession/maturing, but if I start to see confirmed thinning up top I'll jump on finasteride and minoxodil immediately. I think it's a little thinner than it used to be, but I'm not 100% sure I'm actually thinning. Haven't heard much about topical finasteride, will have to look into it

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Please take finesteride..... All you need is too keep what you got, because your hair is great.
What's your dad, maternal grandad hair like
Yeah I’m thinking about getting on it soon. It’s hard to tell if my hair is maturing or receding though.

My dad keeps hair on the top but it’s very light/fluffy and very far recessed (so I guess he’s bald pretty much) and my maternal grandfather has a full head of hair

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks the same mate. Maybe just keep taking progress pictures every 6months - 1year and if you notice a dramatic change you can jump on treatments.

For now i dont think it is worthwhile committing to finasteride as most likely your hair will just maintain as what it is now and currently it seems like its already maintaining without treatment.

wtfeverynameistaken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks the same mate. Maybe just keep taking progress pictures every 6months - 1year and if you notice a dramatic change you can jump on treatments.

For now i dont think it is worthwhile committing to finasteride as most likely your hair will just maintain as what it is now and currently it seems like its already maintaining without treatment.
If you look at the 4th photo from this year, you can see that it’s definitely getting thinner at the front and I can sort of see where it’s heading towards.

but yeah I might just leave it for the time being then, thanks for your input! I feel like last time everyone told me to jump on find and now people have pulled back from that a bit haha

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks the same. Start considering taking small doses of finasteride. 0.5 or 0.25mg per day if you have trouble sleeping thinking about hairloss