Histogen Interview w/ Dr. Gail Naughton

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well that's a little worrying. From what I've read, they intend that the price be comparable to hair transplant prices, that could be several thousand dollars/Euro/Pounds every couple of years for results that while significant, still fall short of an actual cure. Could be worth it if the results are great though. But for minoxidil standard results that could be very expensive. I'm hoping that hair that is regrown using histogen, we could maintain it with finasteride and catch that hair loss very early

If you're talking about Histogen they've mentioned they expect pricing to be around the $2,000.00 area which seems fair to me if the results are there. I'd love not to have to deal with putting minoxidil on my head twice a day. If I have to pay $2k every couple of years to touch up so be it.

Replicel will probably be more expensive but that's supposed to be a one time deal.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2000 is nothing if they can get thick dense regrowth, not just the vellus results minoxidil gives.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're talking about Histogen they've mentioned they expect pricing to be around the $2,000.00 area which seems fair to me if the results are there. I'd love not to have to deal with putting minoxidil on my head twice a day. If I have to pay $2k every couple of years to touch up so be it.

Replicel will probably be more expensive but that's supposed to be a one time deal.

Yes, this is about the price I think Histogen may be going after as well. Hopefully they stick to that, $2,000 is definitely a fair price for what you get. Any more though and it's going to be expensive considering we may need to go for follow up injections, although, who knows, as that too is speculation.

I hope Dr. Naughton has good news for us in 2017... what a year that would be for balding men and women. Mexico is definitely going to get my money. Already got the funds saved.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2000 is nothing if they can get thick dense regrowth, not just the vellus results minoxidil gives.

Agreed. I believe Gail said they still saw improvements at the 12 month mark. She was fairly vague but I felt that she was trying to insinuate that you might need a "touch up", as she phrased it, every 2-3 years. I'd GLADLY pay $2k per year never mind every 2-3 years.

Yes, this is about the price I think Histogen may be going after as well. Hopefully they stick to that, $2,000 is definitely a fair price for what you get. Any more though and it's going to be expensive considering we may need to go for follow up injections, although, who knows, as that too is speculation.

I hope Dr. Naughton has good news for us in 2017... what a year that would be for balding men and women. Mexico is definitely going to get my money. Already got the funds saved.

Agreed x2. It has the potential to be an exciting year, hopefully we hear some news regarding Histogen in Mexico soon.

I'm sure you've heard this a billion times already Hellouser but thanks again for all your hard work on this stuff. It is much appreciated.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. I believe Gail said they still saw improvements at the 12 month mark. She was fairly vague but I felt that she was trying to insinuate that you might need a "touch up", as she phrased it, every 2-3 years. I'd GLADLY pay $2k per year never mind every 2-3 years.

Agreed x2. It has the potential to be an exciting year, hopefully we hear some news regarding Histogen in Mexico soon.

I'm sure you've heard this a billion times already Hellouser but thanks again for all your hard work on this stuff. It is much appreciated.

You're welcome, and to everyone else as well. Sorry for taking forever on the remaining sessions though. Kind of slacked on the last 9, but it's been really busy on my end at my day job... can only do so much in a day.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
You're welcome, and to everyone else as well. Sorry for taking forever on the remaining sessions though. Kind of slacked on the last 9, but it's been really busy on my end at my day job... can only do so much in a day.

I'm also very grateful for all of your hard work. You did really good for your part.

- - - Updated - - -

It has the potential to be an exciting year, hopefully we hear some news regarding Histogen in Mexico soon.

Doesn't Histogen have to do at least one more study before they can put their treatment on the market in Mexico?

- - - Updated - - -

How expensive would that be? (Not hating just curious as your plan sounds pretty good).

I understand you're not hating.

I figure one Histogen treatment will be priced at $1,500 - $2,000 in Mexico. If I did it every two weeks for 4 months that would cost me $12,000 - $16,000. If I did it every two weeks for 6 months that would cost $18,000 - $24,000. Following the initial stage, maintenance would probably cost me $3,000 to $6,000 per year - to do one treatment once every 4 - 6 months. I would probably consider moving to southern California or southern Arizona for the first 4 - 6 months (during the initial stage) to avoid travel expenses every 2 weeks. I would probably get an apartment down in southern Arizona for 4 - 6 months because I used to live there and I know my way around there very well. I would like it if some of us could form a group and do this together. Mexico can be dangerous but traveling in a group can take a lot of the danger out of this.

I might decide to do the treatment once a week for 4 months instead of once every two weeks for 6 months. Once every week for 4 months would cost me $24,000 - $32,000 for the first 4 months and then it would simply be maintenance twice or thrice a year.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm also very grateful for all of your hard work. You did really good for your part.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't Histogen have to do at least one more study before they can put their treatment on the market in Mexico?

- - - Updated - - -

I understand you're not hating.

I figure one Histogen treatment will be priced at $1,500 - $2,000 in Mexico. If I did it every two weeks for 4 months that would cost me $12,000 - $16,000. If I did it every two weeks for 6 months that would cost $18,000 - $24,000. Following the initial stage, maintenance would probably cost me $3,000 to $6,000 per year - to do one treatment once every 4 - 6 months. I would probably consider moving to southern California or southern Arizona for the first 4 - 6 months (during the initial stage) to avoid travel expenses every 2 weeks. I would probably get an apartment down in southern Arizona for 4 - 6 months because I used to live there and I know my way around there very well. I would like it if some of us could form a group and do this together. Mexico can be dangerous but traveling in a group can take a lot of the danger out of this.

I might decide to do the treatment once a week for 4 months instead of once every two weeks for 6 months. Once every week for 4 months would cost me $24,000 - $32,000 for the first 4 months and then it would simply be maintenance twice or thrice a year.

If I remember correctly Gail said in the interview with Hellouser that if they get the "go-ahead" from the Mexican FDA they'll be allowed to go straight into a Phase 3 trial down there, therefore there would be a possibility they could start selling the product commercially in 2017-2018.

Also, from what Gail was saying I don't think you'd need as many injections as you are planning for, who knows if they'd even give you that many if you wanted them.

I think we all need to just stay patient and see what happens.

Even if it's just as effective as minoxidil to me it would be worth it not to have to apply a greasy mess to my hair every day and night. There's also the possibility that one of us could be a great responder, which would make it more than worth it.

Some of the pictures may be a little suspect but there's no way anyone can deny the regrowth that one patient received, I don't care what angle the "after" picture was taken at.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
My friend I travel to Mexico once a month for work and believe me you don't have to worry about that, just stay in the good areas and you will be ok.
If there is a cure I wouldn't mind going anywhere, there is no reason to be paranoid also about a country, we have enough with hair loss :)

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...co-Increased-by-30-in-June-20150716-0003.html

http://world.time.com/2014/01/17/mexico-drug-war-kidnapping/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8ee2d2-1e6e-11e4-82f9-2cd6fa8da5c4_story.html

My darker skin comes from my Spanish bloodline on my father's side. I'm not anti-Hispanic because I myself have some Hispanic blood. That having been said, I believe that it can
be dangerous in Mexico. All I'm saying is that if there are others who would be interested in going to Mexico together in a group when the time comes I would join that group.
If you walk into a Histogen office in Mexico the bandits will know you have money or else you wouldn't be walking into a Histogen office. And of course they are kidnapping people with
money.

And here is what the US state department said in January 2016 about travel to Mexico:

http://www.bajainsider.com/article/mexico-travel-warning-perspective

- - - Updated - - -

Also, from what Gail was saying I don't think you'd need as many injections as you are planning for, who knows if they'd even give you that many if you wanted them.

I think we all need to just stay patient and see what happens.

Even if it's just as effective as minoxidil to me it would be worth it not to have to apply a greasy mess to my hair every day and night. There's also the possibility that one of us could be a great responder, which would make it more than worth it.

Some of the pictures may be a little suspect but there's no way anyone can deny the regrowth that one patient received, I don't care what angle the "after" picture was taken at.

Gail probably thinks we would all be happy just to get back a little bit of hair. Some of us want a good amount of new hair. Maybe I wouldn't need treatment as often as twice a month but in the beginning when I'm first trying to get back a bunch of lost hair I would want to do it more often than once every year or once every 6 months. Once every 6 months might be OK for maintenance but I don't think it will be OK for the beginning phase.

Pictures are a "little suspect"? In the before pic you can not see the back of the crown or down the back of the head at all, but in the after pic you can see the entire crown and you can see way down the back of the head. It looks like that guy is looking straight ahead in the before pic but looking downward in the after pic. And the style is completely different. These two changes together could make a BIG difference in my opinion. All that having been said, I do think Histogen has demonstrated some regrowth and the results may be better with follow-up treatments. That's my hope.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
$1500-2000 once a year is a lot of money for what may be roughly as effective as minoxidil... If it is significantly more effective than minoxidil, and can prolong the life of our hair/regrow real cosmetically significant hair that finasteride/minoxidil couldn't, then it may be worth it. But if the results are no better than minoxidil, then all that traveling and money may not be worth the expense. All depends on the results and the jury is still out on that one.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
$1500-2000 once a year is a lot of money for what may be roughly as effective as minoxidil... If it is significantly more effective than minoxidil, and can prolong the life of our hair/regrow real cosmetically significant hair that finasteride/minoxidil couldn't, then it may be worth it. But if the results are no better than minoxidil, then all that traveling and money may not be worth the expense. All depends on the results and the jury is still out on that one.

Travel expenses are going to add up if you don't live by the Mexican border. This is another reason why it would be good to go as a group. One person could rent a place and people could chip in for staying there. This would be especially helpful in the beginning when some of us would want to have follow-up treatments, which would mean more trips back to Mexico. If we had a place that we all shared that would save each of us some money. We could get a place at an Arizona/Mexican border town on the Arizona side. I know the area well and I've been there many many times.

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
Travel expenses are going to add up if you don't live by the Mexican border. This is another reason why it would be good to go as a group. One person could rent a place and people could chip in for staying there. This would be especially helpful in the beginning when some of us would want to have follow-up treatments, which would mean more trips back to Mexico. If we had a place that we all shared that would save each of us some money. We could get a place at an Arizona/Mexican border town on the Arizona side. I know the area well and I've been there many many times.

Nameless, I'll follow you=]
We should have a reputable member to organize a group trip to Mexico.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
lmao pls make this a reality, I will join up and prove security from all the wild drug dealers out in that place.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
minoxidil. was a bust for me, but we know some individuals respond very well to minoxidil..

If "they" are making the comparisons with Histogen and incidents of reported stellar minoxidil. treatment results then we're talking.

Random inquiry so please correct me if I'm mistaken;

Didn't I hear Dr. Naughton note that older patients fared better with their treatment?

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
minoxidil. was a bust for me, but we know some individuals respond very well to minoxidil..

If "they" are making the comparisons with Histogen and incidents of reported stellar minoxidil. treatment results then we're talking.

Random inquiry so please correct me if I'm mistaken;

Didn't I hear Dr. Naughton note that older patients fared better with their treatment?

I think that Histogen is still trying to raise money for their study. They need to do the study or they can't bring the drug to market anywhere. Maybe we should all try to collectively raise some money.
How much money does Histogen need to do its' study?

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that Histogen is still trying to raise money for their study. They need to do the study or they can't bring the drug to market anywhere. Maybe we should all try to collectively raise some money.
How much money does Histogen need to do its' study?

Then how can they even talk about a potential release in Mexico when they don't have the money.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe they have some partner there whatsoever.

We'll see. I mean 2017 is around the corner really.

This is correct. In Hellouser's interview Gail mentioned that theyw ere in late stage negotiations with a partner in Mexico who would pay for the clinical trials required in Mexico. Not sure how a lack of funds would impact their production ability though.