Histogen Interview w/ Dr. Gail Naughton

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here we go! It's live! All the questions you guys posted have been answered in this interview AS WELL as some 'new news'. Thanks to everyone for contributing, this is definitely awesome!

Along with this, some things that I'd like to point out thats not in the video;

1) One of Dr. Naughton's concerns about the treatment is the end cost, so we definitely have someone we can trust for fair pricing. She agrees that hair transplants are too costly, some being nearly $20,000 (Dr. Rahal).
2) Dr. Naughton is also seeking a physician or clinician who's willing to do a pilot study with HSC in Canada. If we can find some names, we could have Histogen go straight to Phase III. I've already emailed Dr. Naughton with a couple names that may help her (Dr. Jeff Biernaskie and Dr. Marc Jeschke).
3) Dr. Naughton is on the board for Centre for commercialization of Regenerative Medicine in Canada. She mentions that that Canada is VERY friendly in this area, so Histogen could be a go for Americans where they could just hop south or north of the border and get HSC in either Mexico or Canada. I made mention that with the election of our new prime minister Justin Trudeau things could really pick up. She's willing to explore Canada as an option, FINGERS CROSSED!

A special note for EvilLocks; I asked about some things about it for women as well as mentioned you a little. :cool:

As promised, I'd be sharing the entire presentation. I know some of you may not have Microsoft Powerpoint, so I've exported ALL the slides into separate images and uploaded them to my Photobucket account. You can view these here:

http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/hellouser/library/Histogen Presentation Hair Congress 2015?

However, the one slide you guys will really be thrilled with is this one:
Slide15.jpg

^ That result is absolutely incredible. Not only does HSC manage to fill in the forelock, but also the temples. I didn't have a whole lot of time to go over the presentation before my meeting with Dr. Naughton.
Also, keep in mind I have the audio recording of Dr. Naughton's presentation during the congress as well, I'm just waiting on the go ahead to put that online as well.

As a final note, THANK YOU to Dr. Gail Naughton for taking the time to meeting with me and big thanks to everyone on HairLossTalk.com for all the suggestions with questions!

Last edited:

QAC

Reaction score
Thank you Hellouser!
Ok, just some simple honesty: look how his hair is combed in the after shot. This is not "amazing"... If you look at his crown you will see what the real results are. I've seen better with what we have at our hands today.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Hellouser!
Ok, just some simple honesty: look how his hair is combed in the after shot. This is not "amazing"... If you look at his crown you will see what the real results are. I've seen better with what we have at our hands today.

That's what I should have addressed with Dr. Naughton, I never got a chance to ask more about THAT case. However, during the congress presentation she had, I actually went up to the mic and asked if she could comment further. If Dr. Naughton gives me permission to post the audio recording from that, I'll post it all along with the Q&A that followed after.

HOWEVER, I've NEVER seen that kind of result... ever. It's awesome regardless and who knows how well further injections would work and in conjunction with other things like finasteride, minoxidil or Setipiprant. Also, that result is really going to depend on WHERE exactly injections were made.

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
Great work Hellouser. She says it can be on the market in Mexico 18-24 months before US, but did she ever give you an estimate regarding when she thinks this will happen?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great work Hellouser. She says it can be on the market in Mexico 18-24 months before US, but did she ever give you an estimate regarding when she thinks this will happen?

Yes, approx. 2017 at the earliest. Since FDA requires another trial, then USA would get it 2018 earliest.

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow. Did you get a good impression of her and the company? What is your biggest concern of this NOT coming to market? As far I understand its proven to work and they have funding in place so its "just" a matter of dosing and proving security for the governments. Do you agree?

MickChong

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Hellouser!

I think there's room for optimism with those shots, however, it's true his head is at a different angle for the 2nd picture. The view of the front is not as clear, but still, it does look that there's been significant growth.

Ted82

Reaction score
Thank you Hellouser!
I'm also a bit concerned about this.
It looks like they have combed the hair inside the circle in my pic Slide15red.jpg forward, colored the hair (including brighter miniaturizing hairs) darker and taken the after pic in an advantageous angle. There can be some regrowth but for me its really hard to tell.
How is anyone supposed to take this company seriously if they now again (also saw this a few years ago) take after pictures that cant be compared to the before pictures?
If they have good results, why do they do this?

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you Hellouser!

* I also think the different styling makes the improvement look somewhat better but I also think that there is significant "real" improvement.

* To the naysayers I would say this: do you think that if he styled his hair the same in the "before" pic as he did in the "after" pic, the "before" pic would look the same as the "after" pic? I really don't think so. He has significantly more hair in the "after" pic.

* That aside, the biggest problem is that the good result is for just one patient. So for all we know this one Histogen patient isn't what most of us could expect. That having been said I do think that Histogen looks more promising than I used to think.

* One last thing is this result is with just two treatments so what happens with 3 or 4 treatments????

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm also a bit concerned about this.
It looks like they have combed the hair inside the circle in my pic forward, colored the hair (including brighter miniaturizing hairs) darker and taken the after pic in an advantageous angle. There can be some regrowth but for me its really hard to tell.
How are anyone supposed to take this company seriously if they now again (also saw this a few years ago) take after pictures that cant be compared to the before pictures?
If they have good results, why do they do this?
View attachment 36655
I don't see any problem with them trying to show as good results as possible since they are seeking attention and funding. It is a company behind this, and most companies goal is to make money. It is obvious that they have combed the hair and taken the photos from the best angle. However, if the pictures are real at all, there is no doubt that this guy have had some serious regrowth (in just 6 months). I cant help to get excited. Would be very nice to hear Hellousers general thoughts since he is very knowledgeable, trustworthy and also have met the doctors in person.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that pic seems a little shady but certainly this one demonstrates a clearly significant amount of regrowth, right? It's on the temples too:

Slide17.jpg

Or is the fact she's female the reason why she got crazy growth? Haven't been able to listen to the interview yet unfortunately but this looks amazing, thanks hellouser

shivers20

Established Member
Reaction score
Good stuff!

HSC is more effective in males, age 40-60. Is this possibly due to lower circulating DHT levels the older you get?

kigoma

Reaction score
The woman had stress induced hair loss so not a good comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

I think men get more DHT and less testosterone as they age, although I could be wrong about the former.

Good stuff!

HSC is more effective in males, age 40-60. Is this possibly due to lower circulating DHT levels the older you get?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sweuser

Reaction score
Great news and good job hellouser!

So for us who can't wait: Skin treatments are already on the market. The active ingredients are mostly the same, harvested from fibroblast in hypoxia, but less concetrated(10X?). Maybe this can have good effect when rubbed on scalp?

BrianH

Reaction score
As always I look forward to everything hellouser says. Thanks for getting info we all want. As for the photos and actual results from presentation - it works. But the photos are taken from angles and lighting obviously making it look better.. Just seeing re growth in those areas makes me a believer - however I would prefer them taking the same photo with same lighting and hair. Oh well, replaced and histogen both seem to be positive treatments, God speed with getting them commercialized !

moarhairpls

Reaction score
Those pictures are very misleading. The before picture all of his hair is brushed back to make the frontal area look awful. I have the same pattern with my hairloss and i can tell you that if I do that and then brush my hair the way it is in the after pic the difference is about the same as what we see here.

Still I think it's a promising treatment option, especially if we can get it in Mexico for 2k relatively soon. Who knows, maybe it will work and I won't have to go to Japan.

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all - Hellouser - Big thanks for this! I think it gives us a lot of hope for the upcoming years.
However, I think that the photos they publish are bad. The hair count is much more promising than the photos themselves. 50-70% growth of hair count is a lot.
Don't expect of one new treatment to cure baldness. It will always (or at least for the next 10 years) be a matter of combination of treatments.
If we had only minoxidil and finasteride for the past 20 years, now we will have the combination of minoxidil+finasteride+Histogen+Replicel+Seti, and hopefully the list continues to expand, so that we can achieve a really good result combining all these stuff (not to mention hair transplants which can be now done with LESS donor hair).

P.S: 1 thing I wonder about - do they (Histogen) have any idea how to make their results look natural ? (unified hair and not thick spots and thin spots all over the injections` area)