here we go...Dr Lees item 500 vs minoxidilmax fast drying

Cassin

Reaction score
Just tried it for the first time.

Initial thoughts are that it is thicker and slightly greasier than Dr Lees but in a good way. One problems with Dr Lees is that it was so thin if you squeezed the plunger too much you would have a huge drop of minoxidil run down your head. This stuff seems to hold more in place while drying just as fast. We'll see and I will use this exclusively for a bottle then switch back to Dr Lees to compare some more.

Hoping this works out...I hate changing products....

Shift

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ordered mine to try it in the mornings.

P.S. Posting costs as much as the minoxidil /$14/. :(

Reaction score
Ok dude thanks for that summary.

I'm gonna order some now. My genhair minoxidil is on the verge of running out and gives me sometimes quite painful spots along my hairline. It's also super thin and is forever running off down my forehead.

Also their delivery was SO slow, I can't afford to not have any minoxidil coating my cranium at all times with the ground I'm losing. Hopefully minoxmax delivery to UK is prompt.

Shift

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked! :shock:
Ordered a bottle of the stuff on 03.06 got it today - 07.06.
4 days shipment from USA to Eastern Europe - never happened before! :punk:

Reaction score
Shift said:
Just ordered mine to try it in the mornings.

P.S. Posting costs as much as the minoxidil /$14/. :(

Shift said:
I'm shocked! :shock:
Ordered a bottle of the stuff on 03.06 got it today - 07.06.
4 days shipment from USA to Eastern Europe - never happened before! :punk:

Haha, maybe thats why it was so expensive :bravo:

Cassin

Reaction score
A few days in and nothing new to say which is what I was hoping for.

I have been using Dr Lees for so long it's going to be a bit before I get totally comfortable using a new product as you can imagine but I have no concerns about Minoxidilmax as of right now. Especially after I have chatted with someone from the company about my irritation issues I have with standard 5% minoxidil just like I have with Dr Lee, Dr Loren Pickart and Dr Proctor.

So I at least know this isn't some dude in China making this stuff while watching TV. :shock:

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Good to know this stuff works. I am considering a change from the Kirkland minoxidil to this product since Dr Lee is no longer around. I don't have a terrible allergic reaction, but I get a lot of those tiny flakes and my scalp itches something awful sometimes. If I just use foam for a few days the flakes + itchiness disappears after a couple of showers and no kirkland.

Cassin

Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Good to know this stuff works. I am considering a change from the Kirkland minoxidil to this product since Dr Lee is no longer around. I don't have a terrible allergic reaction, but I get a lot of those tiny flakes and my scalp itches something awful sometimes. If I just use foam for a few days the flakes + itchiness disappears after a couple of showers and no kirkland.

A nice salicylic acid rinse (like found in Jason's thin to Thick) should really help break up that left over junk.

Be mindful tho, even with Dr Lees every once in a great while I got a little bit of reside left so I would guess this will minoxidil version will too since it is made the same. But since I only use it once a day I use more than 1ml so maybe I had too much liquid left in one spot? Its possible. Very rare so I didn't pay attention much. Nothing like the glue like flakes off the shelf minoxidil gave me.

Another thing about that itch....do you use nizoral? Some of us sensitive folks can't use nizoral since it is so harsh. I stopped using it a long time ago.

Also look into using a good hydrating anti itch conditioner like any tee tree oil type found in a store. Stuff is awesome, dirt cheap and normally comes in fairly large quantities. It will be the cheapest part of your regimen.

Sorry for the rambling reply....I haven't slept for sh*t in 3 days and I do believe I am one energy drink away from cardiac arrest : )

hairington

Reaction score
Cassin

Thanks for your work here. I'm a long time lurker (very long time). I have never posted On this board. But certainly have watched it over the years, and gained insight.

I have fortunately gotten very good results by following the basics and by using a new product from Ethiopian camel dung that I want to share with you :shock: all........ JUST KIDDING about that one.

I am still in my post Dr. Lee freakout. He is a fine, ethical and caring man and God I will miss him. He was the best of the best which is why I suspect they went after him. Man I hope he sets up in another country that is not so interested in "protecting" us from the best and most ethical treatments available.

But I digress. I have been following this thread now for a couple weeks because your feelings expressed mine to a tee. His plain 5% was my favorite. Clean and somewhat of a styling aid as well. I used the X-5% as well and it was an excellent styling aid. My fear is that everything else is greasy crap. I too hate change, like this.

I realize you are a moderator and probably have to be careful of "endorsing" products. But could you please be more specific and detailed about the new product you Are trying ? Please? Is it really similar to our old fav#500 ? Is it clean enough and does it add some body to also be a styling aid? What do you really think at this point??????? Please expound on this a bit more as of all the boards and post's yours most clearly shares my concerns and thoughts.

I too am really searching dilligently for a new regimen and will give feedback when I have found it. I hope anyone finding something similar in the way's I have mentioned will also chime in. Clean, effective and style friendly that is what I'm trying to find.

Thanks Much

Hairington

Cassin

Reaction score
Hairrington! Well thank you and I am very glad you have chimed in.

hairington said:
I am still in my post Dr. Lee freakout. He is a fine, ethical and caring man and God I will miss him. He was the best of the best which is why I suspect they went after him.

I really thought a lot of the man. I was annoyed at how he handled the CCard fiasco early this year but other than that over a very long time I had nothing but good dealings with him.

You know I just had a thought...due to that CCard issue I wonder if a mad consumer was able to somehow cause him these problems with the FDA. hmmm...

Another thing is I wonder if the finasteride added into some of his products caused him the deathblow. Who knows.

hairington said:
Man I hope he sets up in another country that is not so interested in "protecting" us from the best and most ethical treatments available.

If that does happen I am guessing it would be someone buying his business. If I recall (and I could very well be wrong here) I could have sworn he brought in a partner a few years ago and was considering retirement. Maybe it was just an extended time away. If anyone remembers this chime in.

hairington said:
I realize you are a moderator and probably have to be careful of "endorsing" products.

I am very careful about that and I appreciate you bringing that up. A lot of people from posters to lurkers think, on sites like this, that the mods are experts and everything they say is valid. This could not be farther from the truth and every mod here down to the owner will readily admit they are still learning and get confused by studies. I do my best to stay VERY clear of any & all chemistry and physiology type questions. My only comments about finasteride tend to be correcting people about the dose difference of proscar/propecia and telling folks to "never buy finasteride online so go to a Dr. for a prescription"

I try to only speak on experience which is all most people want to hear anyway.

Also it sucks because we constantly get accused of bring paid off by whoever...makes no sense...No mods on this site even use propecia. And if MERK paid this site there would be ads all over the place. Those of us on finasteride use generic 5mg versions sold in pharmacies and cut it up. I don't think that type of selling points are in any PROPECIA campaigns considering you save about a thousand dollars a year.... lol.... and I used rogaine foam sometimes and constantly bitched about it.

Goodness that was quite a rant eh?

Guess I needed to vent and didn't even know it... :shock:

hairington said:
But could you please be more specific and detailed about the new product you Are trying ? Please? Is it really similar to our old fav#500 ? Is it clean enough and does it add some body to also be a styling aid? What do you really think at this point??????? Please expound on this a bit more as of all the boards and post's yours most clearly shares my concerns and thoughts.

I too am really searching dilligently for a new regimen and will give feedback when I have found it. I hope anyone finding something similar in the way's I have mentioned will also chime in. Clean, effective and style friendly that is what I'm trying to find.

I absolutely promise I will with any questions that are asked but to be fair I think I need to wait until I use a bottle before I am ready to say this is a 100% replacement for Dr Lees #500. I am just shy of a week as of today. It wouldn't be fair to the consumers for me to say its 100% a replacement nor would it be fair for me to trash minoxidilmax with such a short trial. I was pretty damn stressed when Lee got shut down so I want to make sure I get my replacement right.

With that said...success IMO is not noticing any difference and at this point I can't tell anything except something minor and that is in that minoxidilmax seems slightly thicker than Dr Lees. But be mindful its not greasy. In fact I like the consistency since it dries just as fast while not having as many run-offs like 500 had. So far I am happy and my worry level has lowered from full on panic to pretty much nothing.

hairington

Reaction score
Cassin,
It is my pleasure and thank you for your detailed response. It is greatly appreciated.

I had not thought about the C.card thing. I canceled my card and got a new number. Hmm....that is a possibility as is the finast. Perhaps he went too far for them with some of his wording about products. Or as a detective would ask "who benefits?" I doubt it was another "designer" minoxidil. seller. That could bring unwanted FDA attention all around. Perhaps a company that sells name brands or even someone in another part of this hair industry who could stand to gain from our "loss". It is just speculation, however.

Time to focus on a solution. But thanks Doctor for many years of service where ever you may be.

Cassin I totally understand the position you are in and it has got to be frustrating at times. Certainly these types of forums are a study in discernment. With many seeking to take advantage of those desperate and inexperienced. You are correct no one is a true expert as of yet. Fortunately we do gather some gold nuggets from time to time once we sift through the rocks. This site is run well with integrity and concern for the members and lurkers from all I have seen over the years.

Your position on reporting back on the product is understood and appreciated. Your a straight shooter and that is what makes your feedback so meaningful. It also does not hurt that you have in essence nailed the most important features of the 500 product as only an experienced veteran could. Your fairness and reluctance to judge to quickly speaks well of you and this site as well.

Well I'm quite relieved too know your not noticing much difference and that it is not greasy. So good to hear, peace of mind increasing.

Thanks again for the honest and straightforward view. It means a lot. Please report back with further observations at some point. I will report back as well.

Be well my friend. I appreciate the veracity and honesty of those who run and truly help on this site. Thanks again Cassin.

Hairington

Reaction score
I too appreciate your advice with this Cassin.

I stupidly stupidly bought Genhair's sensitive minoxidil and not only did it take ages to arrive (missed a few applications as a result). I didn't even think of checking the ingredients, it contains:

Alcohol 20%, Glycerine 5%

Now I don't really know what this means, but all I do know is Dr Lee's #500 did not contain this, and I was at least maintaining on that. Your ingredients comparison at the start of this thread Cassin is invaluable so I will post it again here.

Dr Lees
#500 Minoxidil 5%
Price: $ 16.65
Quantity and Ingredients: 65 mL. 5% minoxidil (50mg minoxidil / mL) in a liquid base of 50% ethyl alcohol, 30% propylene glycol, and 20% water

minoxidilmax.com
Price $18
60ml
A. Effective ingredients: Minoxidil 5% (i.e. 3 grams of minoxidil in bottle, i.e. 50mg/mL)
Ethanol (50%)
propylene glycol (30%)
Purified Water (20%)

As I reach about two months on the Genhair I am fully putting the blame on it for me losing so much ground. That island of hair in the middle has shrunk and thinned so much. For the first time since starting treatment almost 4 years ago I'm scared for scalp!

JWM

Reaction score
Can you guys absolutely not use Kirkland or Rogaine? Does it kill your scalps that much?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Cassin said:
A nice salicylic acid rinse (like found in Jason's thin to Thick) should really help break up that left over junk.

Be mindful tho, even with Dr Lees every once in a great while I got a little bit of reside left so I would guess this will minoxidil version will too since it is made the same. But since I only use it once a day I use more than 1ml so maybe I had too much liquid left in one spot? Its possible. Very rare so I didn't pay attention much. Nothing like the glue like flakes off the shelf minoxidil gave me.

Another thing about that itch....do you use nizoral? Some of us sensitive folks can't use nizoral since it is so harsh. I stopped using it a long time ago.

Also look into using a good hydrating anti itch conditioner like any tee tree oil type found in a store. Stuff is awesome, dirt cheap and normally comes in fairly large quantities. It will be the cheapest part of your regimen.

Sorry for the rambling reply....I haven't slept for sh*t in 3 days and I do believe I am one energy drink away from cardiac arrest : )

Thanks for the response anyway. I might try the salicylic acid rinse.

I use Nizoral occasionally, but it does nothing to help the minoxidil itch. Ever since I got on finasteride the "male pattern baldness itch" that some people seem to have has disappeared entirely, the only time my scalp itches is at random times from the flakes on my scalp from the Kirkland minoxidil. Other than that, I never have dandruff or any other type of itch.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
JWM said:
Can you guys absolutely not use Kirkland or Rogaine? Does it kill your scalps that much?

I can use the Kirkland liquid, but it sometimes makes my scalp itch after applicating, and after three or four days of consistent use, if I run my hand through my hair, I have hundreds of little white flakes that come out of my head from the residue from the Kirkland solution. It really looks like I have terrible dandruff. If I use foam in the morning and liquid at night, it lessens the flakiness.

I've assumed the flakes are residue from the Kirkland liquid. If it's actually dried skin\dandruff then someone tell me, cause it's causing me to have actual dandruff.

b-bye

Reaction score
I ran low on Dr Lee's 500 a month ago and went to CVS to get some 5%. 2 weeks later, my temples thinned out quite a bit, severe itching, giant flakes, and (this is something I always laughed at) ....minoxidil face. I had visible black purplish bags under my eyes and all the other great stuff. I had a little of Dr Lee's left so I just switched back temporarily.

Obviously for me, my body is systemically pulling in much more of the generic minoxidil, so I'm looking for a replacement as well that had the same type of absorbsion rate as Dr Lee's.

The biggest question is WHY is this happening?
-Is the generic just working better and putting me through a shed?
-Do I push through?
-Is this a good time to quit minoxidil?
:lost:

I Have no idea, but the face stuff and increased shedding has to go!!!

hairington

Reaction score
JWM said:

JWM
Good to hear from you. I have benefited from your post's over the years on various forums.

For me at least I'm trying to move forward. At least not lose any ground. If someone can use these products successfully and without inconvenience, good on them.

But personally I'm not interested in greasy, harsh formulations that I find very difficult to use with convenience.Dr. Lees never, ever inflamed me, no flaking, it worked and kept my hair clean and easy to work with. It left no chemical smell.

So I am determined to use this as an opportunity to find something as good or even add a better and new twist to my regimen. I have been pretty satisfied with my results over the years so I have not explored much in the ways of changing up my topical routine. Since some years have past perhaps there is now a way to even improve upon it. But I have no intention of losing ground or surrendering to inferior products.

I am happy for those who are fortunate enough to get the results they wish with these others. Certainly the price is right.but any product causing inflammation, flakes, or greasy hair is out in my book.

JWM

Reaction score
Hey Hairington, nice to hear from you as well.

It seems as though MinoxidilMax and I think they're called Perfect Images or something are the leading contenders to replace Dr. Lee. There might be one more but it's not coming to mind at the moment.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Minoxidilmax, Perfect Image Solutions, and MOPC are the best out there and all are on Amazon.com

Reaction score
Ok so just to add that my MinoxMax from America took 7 days to arrive at my front door in England. And it's a lot more syrupy which I love.

Nobody go with GenHair, terrible delivery, bad customer communication, the product was particularly thin and runny and irritated my scalp something chronic giving me painful spots along the hairline.

I'll try and document my progress as well as Cassin.