Help needed please!

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, Mid 40s male, after some advice, hair been getting thinner for last few years, now have spot on crown nearly 2 inches that was covered over quite well for last year or so but now lousy and depressing, and very concious of it. I ordered some toppik but not happy, bearing in mind the videos I've seen where it looks like real hair! It's a bit clumpy and messy and doesn't look great, I have med brown, not short, not long, avg growth, but would like some advice from you guys as to what is best.

I saw the Super Million Hair on telly which did look really great, but I'm guessing it's the same as Toppik. (they NEVER show it on the front, only ever crowns) They said all the particles are between 0.3/5 mm which stops the pores from clogging and won't interfere with growth, Is Toppik the same, that's another worry when you leave it in overnight, if it will make things worse?

Also, interested to know if any of you guys use Alpecin shampoo, I've used it for a few months but have to say, It's not great. Also take Multi B Vits, again, no great shakes either. The John Frieda thickening shampoo doesn't thicken notcieably at all.

And would love to hear your opinions and what works best for you, Toppik or Super Million?

One last question, the Mane video looks impressive too, do any of you use that as opposed to Toppik?

Thanks for reading!

GeminiX

Reaction score
I used to Nanogen a lot, swore by the stuff and I can *honestly* recommend anyone give it a try with a little bit of hairspray to keep things in place.

I have also seen "Super Million Hair" demostrated up close at this years Olympia Beauty show. You could literally stand directly behind and above the people getting free samples, as it was aimed at hairdressers who wanted to add products to their portfolio. It really looks good, even on a couple of people I thought would be no-hopers. I cannot say how well it will stand up to inclement weather as this was not part of the demonstration, but indoors and dry it conceals hairloss really well.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

2 Questions... Is it OK to sleep in or is it murdering the scalp and stopping any growth? and secondly, can you use product before you sprinkle as my hair without thickener spray in it beforehand is lousy in the other areas

Have you seen the Mane video by the way?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Nanogen certainly lasts a few days, the stuff just stays in there until the hair is well washed (it can even survive list showers / gym, though I don't think it's guaranteed for that).

I've not seen the Mane video, and as I have never used it I would not be able to make a direct comparison :)

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I'll try the Nanogen and see how it compares with Toppik. I wonder if it's wise to keep in for a few days

I hear good and bad about Maine, Their video is quite impressive

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? The Toppik just doesn't look right..... It's really bitty and you can still see plenty of scalp. Wasn't great that it was raining today but it wasn't great before I went out! Does anyone else have the problem with Toppik and found a solution, do you just use loads more? My hair is med brown, but it might look a tad on the light side in some light

s.a.f

Reaction score
Esprit said:
What am I doing wrong? The Toppik just doesn't look right..... It's really bitty and you can still see plenty of scalp. Wasn't great that it was raining today but it wasn't great before I went out! Does anyone else have the problem with Toppik and found a solution, do you just use loads more? My hair is med brown, but it might look a tad on the light side in some light

When it comes to concealers less is more, you dont have to put hardly any on not like in the video's where they just pour it on. In real life that'll look terrible.
Just a few light shakes and then its when you run your hands through it to bind it to the hair that the miracle happens. Also go for a slightly lighter shade than you own hair.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ahh, that's what I thought I was doing wrong, too little, because you do see on the videos that they put quite alot on, and I don't, I just use a little bit, although looking at my sink, you wouldn't believe it! Because it's quite spacey and patchy I thought I hadn't used enough? So you should move it around with your fingers and not just 'pat it', like they tell you to. I will order Nanogen in the new year and see if it's better. I don't mind if it's not carpeted because leaving some skin is OK to look more natural, but it's just a mess even with small amounts

s.a.f

Reaction score
Although they're esentially the same thing, there seems to always be complaints about Toppik whilst I've never heard anything but praise for nanogen. Yeah you just shake it on dont tip it upside down onto your head. just hold it at an angle and give a quick flick/shape, the particles are so light they kind of float from the jar to your head then its when you run your hands through your hair that it binds to the hair and thats when the effect happens.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've just had a look in the mirror, and on my head is a series of dark black patches which looks like I've painted my scalp, in black circles, in between patches. It's med brown by the way, not black. In no shape of form does it look like 'hair' as it does in their info-mercials/pics etc, when sprinkled on... I just don't see any of them making it look like hair on me! Very depressing when I see other results close up that look like hair, and mine just looks like paint spots on the scalp under what little hair I have there. Basically, it looks like I've got something on my head, whereas it's supposed to not look I have.

Do you think normal hair interferes with it, If I have long bits over the thin patches, should you need to get them out of the way and brush them forwards?

GeminiX

Reaction score
Hard to imagine what you're describing without seeing a picture really. I used Nanogen when I began growing my hair out, and usually had my hair at a fiarly even length (as far as was possible at least).

s.a.f

Reaction score
Esprit said:
I've just had a look in the mirror, and on my head is a series of dark black patches which looks like I've painted my scalp, in black circles, in between patches. It's med brown by the way, not black. In no shape of form does it look like 'hair' as it does in their info-mercials/pics etc, when sprinkled on... I just don't see any of them making it look like hair on me! Very depressing when I see other results close up that look like hair, and mine just looks like paint spots on the scalp under what little hair I have there. Basically, it looks like I've got something on my head, whereas it's supposed to not look I have.

Do you think normal hair interferes with it, If I have long bits over the thin patches, should you need to get them out of the way and brush them forwards?

Do you understand how it works?
It does'nt come out to look like hair, what it does is attach the fibres to your strands of hair making them fatter and thus giving the appearance of extra thickness. It wont work on bald areas.
But it sounds like you could have a dodgy batch if it has been exposed to moisture ect it can come out lumpy. It should come out as a microfine dust (really, really light and almost invisible) that floats rather than falls from the jar. And it should staticly settle onto your hair rather than fall through onto the scalp.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure, thanks. Yes I do understand, I know it's not the same product but when I see the Super Million on the shopping channel, they do people in a lot worse shape hair than myself, and it 'looks' like it's hair when added, you know what I mean. I have more vellus and hair overall than a fair few on my balding area on the crown, not great, but certainly in the same as hundreds of their ad pics, but it just goes straight on the scalp and not attach to the hairs, I don't think. Why the circular black spots on the scalp...

Remember I've only used it twice now, the baseball cap cover-up is getting too hot, day in day out.....

Thanks for your patience on a newbie!

s.a.f

Reaction score
What length do you have your hair? If its too short it wont work. These things can often take practice to get right, but I dont take any notice of the video's you never can tell how realistic they will look in real life.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey Saf, it's not short, it's probably between 3 to 4 inches in length around that area

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'd buy some nanogen the and see if that works any better.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Will do, It does seem to be the people's fave on here as opposed to Toppik,
Thanks

zacochagrin

Reaction score
Esprit said:

Like someone has pointed out, using too much fibers will result in patches on your scalp & u'll have to wash yr scalp everyday & re-apply (which is not very convenient & too costly , many will agree with me).

After 1 year i've been able to get it more or less right with concealers, after many trials ...

What works best for me is DERMMATCH & TOPPIK. I use dermmatch (black/d.brown) as a base & a little bit of toppik (black/d.brown).

I also have a bottle of Super Million hair as spare. When additional volume required, i sprinkle a little bit on top !!

Remember, concealers that work best on others might not have same results for you. You need to try until u find a good combination of concealer & hair style !! I think u should give dermmatch a try in combination with nanogen... am sure the results would be much better.

Hope this helps...

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks for posting that, pretty impressive and I'd have to say I wouldn't know you had anything in your hair. Not considered Dermmatch, that's applied directly to scalp isn't it? The Toppik, little or alot still showed quite a few gaps, and although I don't mind a few because it's more natural than a total cover up, it just doesn't look right. How many days do you leave in for?

zacochagrin

Reaction score
Esprit said:
thanks for posting that, pretty impressive and I'd have to say I wouldn't know you had anything in your hair. Not considered Dermmatch, that's applied directly to scalp isn't it? The Toppik, little or alot still showed quite a few gaps, and although I don't mind a few because it's more natural than a total cover up, it just doesn't look right. How many days do you leave in for?

Yeps dermmatch directly to the scalp (see http://dermmatch.com). It thickens the hair as well. To get a full head of hair.... depends on amount of hair & hair style as well.

Well, the the concealer(s) are there since 2 & 1/2 days... been a little wet in the rain & wind as well + some re-touching in the morning... that's y the gaps.... else its more or less ok. As u said, total coverage might result in a fake look... there's no harm in a few gaps :innocent: Of course, under different lighting conditions, gaps might show a little bit... but thats better than the whole scalp visible. The thing is to avoid bright sources of light, heavy rain.. etc !

Nanogen is too costly for me, especially shipping... so i order toppik instead.

Usually i wash my hair twice per week.... let's say i keep it for 2 - 3 days. Or, sometimes when it looks bad (which is rare), i wash.

Forgot to mention before applying the concealer after washing yr hair, dn't forget to do some scalp massage... to promote good blood circulation & growing hair. Even a few additional hair will make a big difference :whistle: