help me I'm a n00b and I'm losing hair!!!!

pleasgodno

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been searching so hard for a hair loss forum and I finally found one (actually I found another site but I've been completely ignored by expert posters there and I felt so insignificant)

so here's the story. I'm turning 24 this year and for about 2 or 3 years I noticed my hair is shedding diffusely, fairly slowly. I want to start taking some meds now, because it's getting pretty serious and I feel it's the right time to start taking some action.

I saw my dermatologist a while ago (here in Canada) and he recommended I would NOT take propecia because of potential unknown side effects. He said that it hasn't been in use long enough for anyone to understand its long-term effects on the body. There are some people out there who would like to debate this, but I'm not interested in doing that at this time.

I want to start on a natural regimen, but I have no clue what to try. Do I just go for DHT blockers? if so, which kind? Saw Palmetto? Beta-Sis?
Do natural supplements have side-effects as well?

I'm COMPLETELY new to all this, so I would GREATLY appreciate someone dumbing it down beginning from the basics, or at least directing to me some resources from which I can learn.

Looking forward to your replies.

Pob

Reaction score
Welcome onboard!

Personally, I think a DHT blocker is essential. I use propecia, so I can't personally testify to the alternatives. However,there's an excellent section on this site that provides some clear and unbiased advice on the options open to you.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/men/index.htm

Can I suggest you take a good look through that first of all, then perhaps come back and ask some more specific questions about particular products? Also, posting pictures helps people give beter advice on what might work for you.

Most of the people here are very friendly and happy to help.

All the best.

pleasgodno

Reaction score
wow u guys rule!
thanks for the quick replies.

Pob - thanks for the link. I'll do as you say.

Aplunk1- thanks for the info. Wow that's so funky I've never thought of MAKING my own hair prescription. How expensive and time consuming is it to do this?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Very inexpensive and very simple... only takes about 10 minutes once you have everything set.

I've only heard great results from Zix and Super Zix.

pleasgodno

Reaction score
Pob I've got some questions after reading your info.

1) how do you know if you're shedding because of an auto-immune response? (that is, how do I know how many of the 5 types of treatments I should go for?)

2) natural alternatives like Saw Palmetto and Beta sitosterol aren't "proven" so does it mean they're not effective?
I had some hopes for these two products but I'm starting to be discouraged :(

pleasgodno

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Very inexpensive and very simple... only takes about 10 minutes once you have everything set.

I've only heard great results from Zix and Super Zix.

thanks aplunk. i'll look into it further

Pob

Reaction score
pleasgodno, I genuinely don't know the answers to your questions, and I don't like to speculate. Perhaps some more experienced people here can help you.

However, in my case, I went to see my doctor and she was able to confirm that my hair loss was conistent with typical male pattern baldness. That made me feel alot more confident in starting my treatments.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
It's totally unexpected with herbal products, man. Unexpected, but worth a try.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The study shows improvement in the hair of the participants. I would expect loss to be minimized and to keep what you have. Hair growth is really the tricky part. Even the FDA drugs with their promises deliver very short, or if they deliver at all. Before anyone gets all nutty I will bash pharma's when and where I want because I have tried them and the results were poor if that good.

If you want to regrow some hair back I would recommend looking at some topicals out there. I use ACV/Cayenne in the shower, CP's and ZomaZor at night. As Aplunk1 pointed out Zix might be a nice addition, although I cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Remember that herbal products will go hand in hand with your diet. If your diet is snack cakes and pop herbal products may not work for you. Your intestinal flora needs to be healthy in order to properly absorb these herbs. Raw foods, fruits, vegtables and nothing processed will get you there and add some yogurt with probiotics.

goingoinbutnotgone

Established Member
Reaction score
finally something that worked!!!

I can tell you that I've been losing hair for 18 years. I've tried TONS of products. I can't even go into how many. I've read hundreds of web pages trying to find the thing that would at least stop the shed and get some regrowth. finasteride worked for a while but the sheds began again. I shaved it all off and tried to rerow it (what a big mistake).

I finally found something that really stopped the shed. I've been using it for 3 months now. No more shedding at all. It is regrowing now for real. It is coming back very slowly but surely.

It is a mix of very potent essential oils. Not EFA's, but the most potent form of certain herbs applied topically. Look at my regimen and try it.
One very important point is that you MUST use theraputic grade oils with the AFNOR rating system. The only company in North America that produces this quality of oil is the Young Living company.

Why not just try it. What do you have to lose? M :freaked2: ore hair?????

pleasgodno

Reaction score
Re: finally something that worked!!!

goingoinbutnotgone said:
I can tell you that I've been losing hair for 18 years. I've tried TONS of products. I can't even go into how many. I've read hundreds of web pages trying to find the thing that would at least stop the shed and get some regrowth. finasteride worked for a while but the sheds began again. I shaved it all off and tried to rerow it (what a big mistake).

I finally found something that really stopped the shed. I've been using it for 3 months now. No more shedding at all. It is regrowing now for real. It is coming back very slowly but surely.

It is a mix of very potent essential oils. Not EFA's, but the most potent form of certain herbs applied topically. Look at my regimen and try it.
One very important point is that you MUST use theraputic grade oils with the AFNOR rating system. The only company in North America that produces this quality of oil is the Young Living company.

Why not just try it. What do you have to lose? M :freaked2: ore hair?????

hey. thanks for the info.

edit: what's the name of the product?

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Flax SDG's are not the same as oil or the high lignan. Oil and high lignan content is taken from the seed where as the SDG's is taken from the hull of the flaxseed. I use linumlife but there might be others out there. The study patients used 50mg whereas I am taking 180mg and also consuming 1 1/2 TBLS in my protein shake.

I cannot comment on the topicals goingoinbutnotgone is using but from what I have read they are beneficial for scalp health which hopefully translates to less hair loss. I myself actually use a mixture of jojoba oil and SBT oil on my scalp about once a week.

Best of luck.

pleasgodno

Reaction score
sublime said:
Flax SDG's are not the same as oil or the high lignan. Oil and high lignan content is taken from the seed where as the SDG's is taken from the hull of the flaxseed. I use linumlife but there might be others out there. The study patients used 50mg whereas I am taking 180mg and also consuming 1 1/2 TBLS in my protein shake.

I cannot comment on the topicals goingoinbutnotgone is using but from what I have read they are beneficial for scalp health which hopefully translates to less hair loss. I myself actually use a mixture of jojoba oil and SBT oil on my scalp about once a week.

Best of luck.

sublime,

sorry to keep asking questions, but today I went out and bought a bottle of powder called Hi-Lignan Certified Organic Flax Seed Protein. It says on the bottle:

"It contains 225 mg of SDG (secoisolaricresinol diglycoside) lignans per tbsp"

but now you say High Lignans is not the same as SDG....

arrrgggh. i'm confused :freaked:

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the confusion. High lignan does not necessarly translate to SDG, unless the flaxseed product states SDG presume its content is minute.

What you have will work, never seen it in a liquid form. Could you shoot me the product link or tell me what the name of it is? I would start with a little less than half a tablespoon for a month then move up to 1/2 a tablespoon. The reason being is that it takes some time for the microflora in your intestine to get where it needs to be.

No problem with the questions, we are all in these forums to learn and to help. :)