Help! finasteride is making my hair worst!!

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
So it's good?
Yes and No, if worked fine for my density, but my hairline got worse, very very slowly over 7 years.

It was only when I swapped to different brand and vellus hair started reappearing at the front of my hairline, that i realised although it worked well, it just wasnt quite as good as the brand i was now on.

Cipla is the original generic finasteride brand, the one that started it all. So its well respected and alot guys get results on it, but knowing what I now know its not something i would personally use again.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes and No, if worked fine for my density, but my hairline got worse, very very slowly over 7 years.

It was only when I swapped to different brand and vellus hair started reappearing at the front of my hairline, that i realised although it worked well, it just wasnt quite as good as the brand i was now on.

Cipla is the original generic finasteride brand, the one that started it all. So its well respected and alot guys get results on it, but knowing what I now know its not something i would personally use again.
Thanks for sharing. What brand are you on now?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. What brand are you on now?
The brand I used to be on, nolonger exists, but im currently on Mylan which seams to be recovering my hair ok, but I won't fully know how good it is for another 18 months.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a source you have that ships to the US? Or do you get it at the local pharmacy? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I was on Keeps, but am now exploring gray markets as they are a lot cheaper. I have a few months worth of Cipla on hand.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a source you have that ships to the US? Or do you get it at the local pharmacy? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I was on Keeps, but am now exploring gray markets as they are a lot cheaper. I have a few months worth of Cipla on hand.
Its a US company it was originally only available in the US, so unless something has changed you should be able to source it locally.

Last edited:

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys sry but any of you have any suggestions on my situation? Hmm im not sure is it gonna improve for me and whether should i keep on taking finasteride

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys sry but any of you have any suggestions on my situation? Hmm im not sure is it gonna improve for me and whether should i keep on taking finasteride
Probably switch brands and you also need to upgrade your adjunct treatment. Minoxidil twice a day with needling, tretinoin, or even consider oral minoxidil.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys sry but any of you have any suggestions on my situation? Hmm im not sure is it gonna improve for me and whether should i keep on taking finasteride.
What Norwoody has said, or give me a list of the finasteride brands available from your derm in singapore and i'll give you my thoughts on which one i would take.

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably switch brands and you also need to upgrade your adjunct treatment. Minoxidil twice a day with needling, tretinoin, or even consider oral minoxidil.
Alright man thks. Actually im on microneedling also but doesnt seem to do anything for me. Im thinking of getting oral minoxidil

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
What Norwoody has said, or give me a list of the finasteride brands available from your derm in singapore and i'll give you my thoughts on which one i would take.
Alright thks. Btw i am currently taking 1mg EOD. Should i change it up to 0.5 daily will it be better for the body hormone profile

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright thks. Btw i am currently taking 1mg EOD. Should i change it up to 0.5 daily will it be better for the body hormone profile
You can take it however you want,

I would continue to take it 1mg EOD if thats what your derm has perscribed, though you could take 1mg everyday like I do at some point if you feel you would benefit from a stonger dose. (Although it shouldnt make much difference)

I wouldnt personally swap to taking it 0.5 Daily unless you are doing it beacause of side effects as lowering the dose may cause further shedding in some people.

Last edited:

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it's good?
Inhousepharmacy.vu is the most legitimate source for me and i bought from many It is a real pharmacy.Not only for finasteride but for any drug.
Cipla and Dr. Reedy gave me the worst sides.There is a brand Combitic Global which is fake .No sides at all

brownhair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This happened to me. I probably started taking finasteride too early- I was 30 at the time with slight thinning in the crown area but I will admit I became obsessed with what I was seeing. After only 2 months of being on finasteride my hair actually thinned, became dry, my hairline was destroyed which wasn't an issue before. I also had/have side effects including a burning/itchy scalp. Oily skin, panic attacks (which may have been due to my hair quality deteriorating only a weekly basis).

3 years on- 2 1/2 off of finasteride and my hair quality is kaput. It's brittle, thin and whispy. I can't style it and my scalp is visible. I believe my hair loss slowed after coming off of finasteride but the damage was done. I'm at the same stage of hair loss as my brother who is 8 years older. my other brother who is 2 years younger than I am is probably at the stage of hair loss I was before I started finasteride. Not exactly fair comparisons but I believe finasteride has robbed me of a few years of thick/healthy hair

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This happened to me. I probably started taking finasteride too early- I was 30 at the time with slight thinning in the crown area but I will admit I became obsessed with what I was seeing. After only 2 months of being on finasteride my hair actually thinned, became dry, my hairline was destroyed which wasn't an issue before. I also had/have side effects including a burning/itchy scalp. Oily skin, panic attacks (which may have been due to my hair quality deteriorating only a weekly basis).

3 years on- 2 1/2 off of finasteride and my hair quality is kaput. It's brittle, thin and whispy. I can't style it and my scalp is visible. I believe my hair loss slowed after coming off of finasteride but the damage was done. I'm at the same stage of hair loss as my brother who is 8 years older. my other brother who is 2 years younger than I am is probably at the stage of hair loss I was before I started finasteride. Not exactly fair comparisons but I believe finasteride has robbed me of a few years of thick/healthy hair
It is also possible that your male pattern baldness is just too aggressive for finasteride to put a dent in it.

brownhair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is also possible that your male pattern baldness is just too aggressive for finasteride to put a dent in it.
Yes, perhaps. Just seemed to rocket very quickly once I started taking finasteride. I don't deny that it works well for many people but after reading alot about it over the years, it does also seem to have the reverse effect on others.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on MIN for 1 year. Im not sure if i am experiencing what they called reflex hyperandrogenicity but i do not experience acne/increased oil on my face or ichy scalp. Pls help anyone.... This is killing me
Reflex hyperandrogenicity always come together with a combination of other symptoms such as: oily scalp/forhead, acne, increased libido, increased BODY hair. W/o some of these other side effects then it’s likely NOT reflex hyperandrogenicity.