Help! finasteride is making my hair worst!!

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for 6 and a half months now on 1mg EOD dosage. I have not seen any results from finasteride but on the contrary it is making it 100X worst! My hair miniaturisation has increased while i am on finasteride and now half of my temple is recessed. Why is finasteride doing this? Shouldnt it be helping to keep my hair? And also i did not encounter any shed on finasteride, rather my hair fall actually reduced. But my hairline recession has gone worst. I know finasteride is doing this because previously my hairloss wasnt so rapid. What is going on? Please help im desperate

SmartSelect_20211121-234854_Gallery.jpg

June hairline

Screenshot_20211121-233703_Gallery.jpg

Current hairline

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on MIN for 1 year. Im not sure if i am experiencing what they called reflex hyperandrogenicity but i do not experience acne/increased oil on my face or ichy scalp. Pls help anyone.... This is killing me

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on MIN for 1 year. Im not sure if i am experiencing what they called reflex hyperandrogenicity but i do not experience acne/increased oil on my face or ichy scalp. Pls help anyone.... This is killing me
Upgrade your minoxidil regimen. Apply it twice a day if you aren't. Also, try needling. If you are getting really desperate you can try oral minoxidil. If you have the money you could try RU too.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Stay on the 1mg EOD regimen of finasteride. That's a good dosage and it sounds like it's working for you. I'll just tell you what worked for me, but everyone is different. Apply 5% min 2x per day like Norwoody says. If you don't want to try needling, try this...buy a few Conair paddle bristle brushes off Amazon because they feel aggressive on your scalp, scrape the dead skin off it, and stimulate the scalp. I started brushing min applications into my scalp with these brushes and I believe it helped with absorption. I also use a brush in the shower when I wash my hair using Big 5 Lipogaine shampoo every 3 days. I brush in the shampoo all different directions on my scalp to really get the dead skin off and let the Saw Palmetto and caffeine do its thing. I had HUGE regrowth doing this after 12 years of finasteride/min just maintaining and providing some regrowth. I know it sounds like voodoo, but it worked tremendously for me.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for 6 and a half months now on 1mg EOD dosage. I have not seen any results from finasteride but on the contrary it is making it 100X worst! My hair miniaturisation has increased while i am on finasteride and now half of my temple is recessed. Why is finasteride doing this? Shouldnt it be helping to keep my hair? And also i did not encounter any shed on finasteride, rather my hair fall actually reduced. But my hairline recession has gone worst. I know finasteride is doing this because previously my hairloss wasnt so rapid. What is going on? Please help im desperate

View attachment 172904

June hairline

View attachment 172905

Current hairline

Finasteride simply does not work for a large % of people. If you're noticing more miniaturization which isn't due to shedding, it's often a sign you're actually responding negatively to Finasteride. It happened to me but I only stopped after 2 years. If I knew then what I knew now I wouldn't have stayed on Finasteride longer than a few months.

Many people actually have far better hair before using Finasteride than after, especially when they use other alternatives, for starters, Minoxidil Topical Liquid 5% twice every day (no use on Microneedling day) +. Microneedling once every week .

Last edited:

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride simply does not work for everyone. If you're noticing more miniaturization which isn't due to shedding, it's often a sign you're actually responding negatively to Finasteride. It happened to me but I only stopped after 2 years. If I knew then what I knew now I wouldn't have stayed on Finasteride longer than a few months.

Many people actually have far better hair before using Finasteride than after, especially when they use other alternatives, for starters, Minoxidil Topical Liquid 5% twice every day +. Microneedling.
Did it get better for you? How long did you take to recover?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did it get better for you? How long did you take to recover?

Took me a year of not being on any treatment for my hair to recover to almost 70% of what my hair was PRE-Finasteride.

My hair, body and hormones needed time to heal away from any treatments.

What helped me was using a caffeine based shampoo called Alpecin Sport CTX Shampoo.

Caffeine is a natural DHT blocker, not as potent as a drug obviously but when applied topically it is much safer than taking an oral anti-androgen and nuking serum DHT levels.

Also, note, if you decide to do what I did and give your body ample time to heal, on the day you do start to microneedle, make sure you do not use Minoxidil on the same day of Microneedling, only use Minoxidil 24 hours after Microneedling to prevent too much systemic absorption which can result in an increased possibility of side effects from Minoxidil.

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months isnt long enough time to draw a conclusion, treatments often make your hair worse before it get's better. What brand of finasteride are you taking?.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t take that stuff anymore but it’s probably working. “Help I’m shedding” well yeah, just read around.

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
6 months isnt long enough time to draw a conclusion, treatments often make your hair worse before it get's better. What brand of finasteride are you taking?.
Yea but i mean shedding is one thing. But for me its just increased recession??? I dont think this is normal?
Im using Stercia brand

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea man im probably gonna take it for one yr and see how it goes, hopefully the regrowth comes

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score
Took me a year of not being on any treatment for my hair to recover to almost 70% of what my hair was PRE-Finasteride.

My hair, body and hormones needed time to heal away from any treatments.

What helped me was using a caffeine based shampoo called Alpecin Sport CTX Shampoo.

Caffeine is a natural DHT blocker, not as potent as a drug obviously but when applied topically it is much safer than taking an oral anti-androgen and nuking serum DHT levels.

Also, note, if you decide to do what I did and give your body ample time to heal, on the day you do start to microneedle, make sure you do not use Minoxidil on the same day of Microneedling, only use Minoxidil 24 hours after Microneedling to prevent too much systemic absorption which can result in an increased possibility of side effects from Minoxidil.
hey man im probably gonna take it for a few more month and see how it goes. I know that it is doing something to my hair and maybe it is my form of shedding, hopefully it gets better

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea but i mean shedding is one thing. But for me its just increased recession??? I dont think this is normal?
Im using Stercia brand
When my hair sheds, and i place my hand on my scalp, if finasteride is working I can feel new hair spikey hair regrowing.

I still think its a bit early to tell, but If that Stercia finasteride is a Thai/Asian/Indian brand? and it gets to the point where 100% you think its not working.I would consider swapping it out for a different brand before you think of giving up on finasteride for good.

You can't solely base finasterides effectiveness on your experience with only one generic brand as for some people some of those asian brands simply don't work.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When my hair sheds, and i place my hand on my scalp, if finasteride is working I can feel new hair spikey hair regrowing.

I still think its a bit early to tell, but If that Stercia finasteride is a Thai/Asian brand? and it gets to the point where 100% you think its not working.I would consider swapping it out for a different brand before you think of giving up on finasteride for good.

You can't solely base finasterides effectiveness on your experience with only one generic brand as for some people some of those asian brands simply don't work.
Have you stopped and re-started finasteride in the past?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you stopped and re-started finasteride in the past?
Apart from a couple of weeks here and there, i havent stopped and restarted finasteride , But Due to the length of time ive been on it, ive had times where my go to brand has been discontiuned and ive been forced to replace it with something else, normaly my hair suffers greatly during this period as i have to cycle between 3-4 brands untill i find one that works. It then takes a couple of years for my density to recover.

Wjisme95

My Regimen
Reaction score

I still think its a bit early to tell, but If that Stercia finasteride is a Thai/Asian/Indian brand? and it gets to the point where 100% you think its not working.I would consider swapping it out for a different brand before you think of giving up on finasteride for good.

I got it from my derm in singapore so i think its quite safe. But yea i think i can request for another brand and see how it goes. But isnt the ingredients all the same

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Apart from a couple of weeks here and there, i havent stopped and restarted finasteride , But Due to the length of time ive been on it, ive had times where my go to brand has been discontiuned and ive been forced to replace it with something else, normaly my hair suffers greatly during this period as i have to cycle between 3-4 brands untill i find one that works. It then takes a couple of years for my density to recover.
Have you been on Cipla Finpecia? Indian brand

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got it from my derm in singapore so i think its quite safe.
Yep I don't mean its not safe, but it may be less effective due to the economics involved in manufacturing in asia.