Help! 1+ Years On finasteride - Excessive Hair Loss/chronic Telogen Effluvium, Itch, Quit It?

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any advice from those who been on finasteride 1+ years is appreciated.

Started finasteride: Late April 2018 (14+ Months Usage), Prior to finasteride never experienced the symptoms listed below.

finasteride totally f'd up my decent head full of hair (slow gradually diffuse thinning runs in family):

- I am worst than my baseline (lost over 60% density on top)
- Burning sensation/itching scalp ultimately where I'm losing hair (top and esp. vortex is severely thinning)
- Miniaturizing and chronic Telogen Effluvium (shed hairs has bulb at end) and now short strands also falling out too.

I'm like the RandyMarsh123's thread (his pics and symptoms) but far worst because I been on the drug longer than him. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-telogen-effluvium.53082/

Should I keep up on this drug which could makes matter worst or quit???

Melchai

My Regimen
Reaction score
I suggest quitting it. You shouldnt have such bad symptoms from using finasteride. Especially after 1 year.

Try minoxidil and dermarollering instead. Worked vry well for me.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Started finasteride: Late April 2018 (14+ Months Usage), Prior to finasteride never experienced the symptoms listed below.

finasteride totally f'd up my decent head full of hair (slow gradually diffuse thinning runs in family):

- Burning sensation/itching scalp ultimately where I'm losing hair (top and esp. vortex is severely thinning)
- Miniaturizing and chronic Telogen Effluvium (shed hairs has bulb at end) and now short strands also falling out too.

I'm like the RandyMarsh123's thread (his pics and symptoms) but far worst because I been on the drug longer than him. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-telogen-effluvium.53082/

Check whether it increased your T levels? If not then try Ru58841. If you don't have any prob getting some sides which may be little feminizing, hop on Spironolactone.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Check whether it increased your T levels? If not then try Ru58841. If you don't have any prob getting some sides which may be little feminizing, hop on Spironolactone.
I didnt know ru can cause feminization. Where do u get ru?

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didnt know ru can cause feminization. Where do u get ru?
No, not RU but spironolactone can in some cases but that will be a little. I'm from India so I can't get it, but people here buy it from Kane/Anagenic.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Patients with Telogen Effluvium often complain about a sense of pain, itchiness and stinging on the scalp. https://www.cesareragazzi.com/en/hair-loss-telogen-effluvium

On 15 months mark and scalp itcy and still in Telogen Effluvium....looks like I need to drop finasteride.
If you have like a stinging/itch/sore scalp with hairloss (white bulbs at end)...you have Telogen Effluvium.

I gave this drug a long *** time to work but it didn't. First time I quit finasteride was after being on this drug for almost a year, tapered/quit and my hair came back to close to what it was at baseline and Telogen Effluvium went away...then started it back up again and continue on few months and Telogen Effluvium came back and hair went to sh*t again but now I tapered to only use it once a week orally to now topically.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna drop it completely. I got more sides after quitting even though i tapered off it. My hair is coming back thank god and hopefully back to its baseline density if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

djhype

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have like a stinging/itch/sore scalp with hairloss (white bulbs at end)...you have Telogen Effluvium.

I gave this drug a long *** time to work but it didn't. First time I quit finasteride was after being on this drug for almost a year, tapered/quit and my hair came back to close to what it was at baseline and Telogen Effluvium went away...then started it back up again and continue on few months and Telogen Effluvium came back and hair went to sh*t again but now I tapered to only use it once a week orally to now topically.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna drop it completely. I got more sides after quitting even though i tapered off it. My hair is coming back thank god and hopefully back to its baseline density if I'm lucky.
Sounds a lot like what I have. Just get off it man. Half these guys will probably become impotent before they hit 45.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long after stopping treatment did you notice the shedding slow down. Sorry for all the questions. I’ve always thought I have Telogen Effluvium from one of my treatments
Not that long within a week...remember I haven't stopped it...only decrease dosage and how often I take it. Last time when I quit completely even though I tapered...I had low libido and hardly any semen output but my hair came back.

Now I take it every weds..still debating whether to take it orally or topically on that day...I'm still trying to figure this out on my own and of course, taking it the way I do will lessen the efficacy of this drug but again I get Telogen Effluvium from it and I get sides being completely off of it, too...you would think it's weird but pretty common those who never get sides and decided to quit have detrimental sides being off it. I tried taking .25 finasteride mg every m-w-f but still was getting Telogen Effluvium...honestly I regret taking finasteride.

brownhair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Come off of it. My shedding and itching has decreased since being off of it. Still have the burning sensation though which really gets to me.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is a long f*****g time to wait for better result and instead get worse. I am amazed you are still debating what to do...

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is a long f*****g time to wait for better result and instead get worse. I am amazed you are still debating what to do...
It's complicated why I'm still debating. Some ppl who took this drug for years had no sides but did, after quitting, etc. I did not know about this but I took safety precaution and tapered off drug before I quit completely. When I did quit, I got sides, my libido went to sh*t and no real semen output...this wasn't the case when I was on finasteride. One of the reason I'm still on finasteride; perhaps finasteride once per week is what is needed for me and to not have Telogen Effluvium. My hairloss wasn't aggressive to begin with. i'm looking into alternatives.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's complicated why I'm still debating. Some ppl who took this drug for years had no sides but did, after quitting, etc. I did not know about this but I took safety precaution and tapered off drug before I quit completely. When I did quit, I got sides, my libido went to sh*t and no real semen output...this wasn't the case when I was on finasteride. One of the reason I'm still on finasteride; perhaps finasteride once per week is what is needed for me and to not have Telogen Effluvium. My hairloss wasn't aggressive to begin with. i'm looking into alternatives.
Yeah I've read of others getting sides only after quitting. So weird. .

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score

finasteride inhibits 5AR, not only testosterone passes into 5hydr dihydrotestosterone but progesterone, the hormone of all hormones. Several metabolites pass through 5AR. And you inhibit it !!!!

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like this dude is a troll. He has yet to provide proof aka pictures and said he got off and got back to baseline with no itching tingling anymore. So why would you start back up lol. I mean if you got back to baseline that means you got hair back why would you even need to treat it then. Just my two cents.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like this dude is a troll. He has yet to provide proof aka pictures and said he got off and got back to baseline with no itching tingling anymore. So why would you start back up lol. I mean if you got back to baseline that means you got hair back why would you even need to treat it then. Just my two cents.
No. I never said back to baseline but working close to it. Your reading comprehension fails you. I was actually going to post pic but since you are a dick I won't bother. I am in no obligation to prove anything to trolls on the internet. Just my two cents. I was doing a lot of things like PRP and dermarolling/stamping so I was not sure if finasteride was the culprit but now I am sure of it along with the fact people kept saying to give more time for this sh*t drug to work.