Help! 1+ Years On finasteride - Excessive Hair Loss/chronic Telogen Effluvium, Itch, Quit It?

FAGA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im in the same boat here tried finasteride alsmost a year and the shedding got insane, been losing half of hair density at least also losing hair side and back. Basically the area that was not losing hair and that are not supposed to be touch by mbp got completely rekt. Also had weird side effect such as a dramatic increase in libido which can be a rise in testosterone from what i've read , also burning and itch pain,being more angry and nervous. Had 2 dramatic event one last year and one this year that threw my anxiety level to the roof . That gave me telogen efluvium for sure when i see the speed rate of my hairloss + male pattern baldness equals like 70% hair density lost in not even 2 years . In the end i think its my fault to have exclude other possibility of hair loss but i was like hey im taking finasteride it should at least stop it .

Sorry if that was too long i've not even said everything to avoid the story telling but, had to share my experience with you guys feels good .
Forgot this one also my nails was growing really fast on finasteride can't explain this one maybe testosterone ?

dubs777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Forgot this one also my nails was growing really fast on finasteride can't explain this one maybe testosterone ?

Literally couldn’t be more identical in terms of side effects (test. Boost, increase in anxiety, burning scalp, etc). Would have been 10000x better off not touching it. I’ve been beating myself up pretty hard but I’m slowly coming to terms with that it’s not my fault and really a lack of general complete disclosure by the drug company. Which might also not be completely fair considering it might never have been intended for slight recession/ to be used as precaution. That said, doctors should be a lot more educated about that.

Either way, since quitting I’ve tried everything that doesn’t mess with hormones internally ( ru, oral minx. Etc). So call me crazy but I’m thinking my last hope is potentially trying a reduced amount of finasteride at a reduced frequency (once/week). I really don’t have much to lose at this point

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Literally couldn’t be more identical in terms of side effects (test. Boost, increase in anxiety, burning scalp, etc). Would have been 10000x better off not touching it. I’ve been beating myself up pretty hard but I’m slowly coming to terms with that it’s not my fault and really a lack of general complete disclosure by the drug company. Which might also not be completely fair considering it might never have been intended for slight recession/ to be used as precaution. That said, doctors should be a lot more educated about that.

Either way, since quitting I’ve tried everything that doesn’t mess with hormones internally ( ru, oral minx. Etc). So call me crazy but I’m thinking my last hope is potentially trying a reduced amount of finasteride at a reduced frequency (once/week). I really don’t have much to lose at this point
I gave finasteride a second try with low dose and less frequency and Telogen Effluvium itchy/burning sensation came back even worst shed than first go at it.

Aaron McLaughlin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Need advice is my hair shedding at the back and sides ??

Attachments

• 32A28F45-32ED-4EE9-808C-14C49773D4E0.jpeg
    32A28F45-32ED-4EE9-808C-14C49773D4E0.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 191
  • 3D6829CC-436B-49A5-A0C5-6FFEBA32326E.jpeg
    3D6829CC-436B-49A5-A0C5-6FFEBA32326E.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 182

dubs777

My Regimen
Reaction score
I gave finasteride a second try with low dose and less frequency and Telogen Effluvium itchy/burning sensation came back even worst shed than first go at it.

Really disappointing. So I just watch my hair inevitable go until i have to shave it in ~4 months at this pace. anything you did that helped slow it down? what was the dosage/frequency you tried the second time?

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really disappointing. So I just watch my hair inevitable go until i have to shave it in ~4 months at this pace. anything you did that helped slow it down? what was the dosage/frequency you tried the second time?
After failed second time I went on topical finasteride and i didnt have the sides as i mentioned earlier that came only after i quit finasteride and its not helping. Im miniaturizing and diffusing and going thru another shed.

THOSE READING AND THINKING ABOUT finasteride - I DO NOT RECOMMEND finasteride FOR SLOW DIFFUSION HAIR LOSS.

Also to answer your question. i tried other things but to no avail.

dubs777

My Regimen
Reaction score
After failed second time I went on topical finasteride and i didnt have the sides as i mentioned earlier that came only after i quit finasteride and its not helping. Im miniaturizing and diffusing and going thru another shed.

THOSE READING AND THINKING ABOUT finasteride - I DO NOT RECOMMEND finasteride FOR SLOW DIFFUSION HAIR LOSS.

Also to answer your question. i tried other things but to no avail.

Tough, well that's unfortunate. Have you tried oral minoxidil?