Hellouser at Hair Congress 2015 in Miami - General Discussion

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have to say i don't see any differences in the research directions of this conference, to those of twenty years ago. The WNT's pathway is a big no no, and anything based on this that does work will never be licensed. Fuchs demonstrated many years ago that testing this in mice produced much increased hair growth, and tumours.

S Foote, what about more recent studies that show removing β-catenin prevents growth of skin tumors?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Heads up guys,

I realized I posted my interview with Dr. Beren Atac and Dr. Gerd Lindner with a blunder; there were some details I didn't include from Dr. Atac, there's ONE very interesting aspect of some info in the interview that I sort of overlooked. I've since taken down the interview and will repost as soon as I get a chance (I'm at work right now!).

newplayer

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of news indeed.
Just a thought guys - could somebody analyse ALL interviews and news and post it in bullets in one thread,
I think it would be great to have a summary!

thanks

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of news indeed.
Just a thought guys - could somebody analyse ALL interviews and news and post it in bullets in one thread,
I think it would be great to have a summary!

thanks

I'll take care of that, but believe it or not, I'm only about HALF WAY with all the news from the congress, lol. There's still a lot more to come.

I'll make a summary thread and organize everything neatly in one place.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
S Foote, what about more recent studies that show removing β-catenin prevents growth of skin tumors?

I have no doubt that the Wnts B-catenin and other molecular pathways, are important in tissue growth control. What I am saying is that any changes in these molecular growth controls in miniaturised follicles, are "supposed" to happen. This is part of the growth restricting chemistry induced by external spatial pressure. Trying to change this natural process is asking for trouble, and is just not necessary anyway in my opinion.

If we can change the external pressure conditions that triggers these molecular changes, hair follicles can then enlarge naturally. If nothing else the mouse study referred to demonstrates that given the right external conditions miniaturized human follicles are fully capable of re-enlargement as it is.

We don't need to mess with their chemistry, we don't even need to know the molecular basis of this growth restriction. We just need to reduce the external pressure that causes this reaction. This should be well within the capability of modern science, and I think this is the way hair growth research should be going.

KJ1982

Reaction score
I'll take care of that, but believe it or not, I'm only about HALF WAY with all the news from the congress, lol. There's still a lot more to come.

As exciting as this is, I'm guessing we've heard all the big news regarding Androgenetic Alopecia from the Congress? Or are there still more exciting things to come? :)

KJ.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As exciting as this is, I'm guessing we've heard all the big news regarding Androgenetic Alopecia from the Congress? Or are there still more exciting things to come? :)

KJ.
We didn’t hear nothing exciting from this congress. Just only talking about same subjects every year. The biggest exciting news was Histogen faked picture, lol!

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
We didn’t hear nothing exciting from this congress. Just only talking about same subjects every year. The biggest exciting news was Histogen faked picture, lol!

759.gif

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score

I'll make a summary thread and organize everything neatly in one place.

Looking forward to seeing the summary thread, and thanks for all the effort you're putting into this.

MickChong

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that there's lots of development but obviously these things take time. I think it's unrealistic to expect a cure so quickly when we haven't figured this out despite the advances in medicine/technology over the last 100 years. It would have happened a long time ago if it was that easy to figure out. A good result in the next 5 years would be the development of existing treatments, perhaps a topical which does a job equal to minoxidil & finasteride but doesn't have the same sides. That would be a huge result and the next logical step to existing treatment options. Furthermore, if hair transplants could continue to improve including finding ways to get more out of the donor area and limiting the scars, then again that would be massive progress. The price should also decrease as technology makes it easier, right now it's far too expensive for most people.

Having a brand new solution to the problem seems like something that could take far longer than we expect. Why would it come in the next 5 years when it hasn't happened 100 years prior to that?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3xtpod/my_name_is_thomas_helleday_a_cancer_scientist/

1 lab for cancer, a scientist leading 70 other scientists.

We don't even have 70 scientists worldwide for hair related disorders lol...

Bill Gates once said we care more about baldness than malaria.... others have often said to shutup about complaining over hair loss and that there are other more serious conditions that need attention.

Looks to me like all other fields of research gets WAY more attention than hair loss. Why do people feel the need to berate hair loss even more?

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Bill Gates once said we care more about baldness than malaria.... others have often said to shutup about complaining over hair loss and that there are other more serious conditions that need attention.

Looks to me like all other fields of research gets WAY more attention than hair loss. Why do people feel the need to berate hair loss even more?

Supposedly smart people make incredibly stupid comments all the time. Ben Carson for example. If what Bill Gates said was true, then we wouldn't have such absolutely mediocre treatments like the supposed "Big 3" and hair transplants. Haha, if the Big 3 was actually a really "big" treatment, then a flare gun is a really big gun.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i think its more positional goods theory like helouser mentions a lot. the full heads want to keep their advantage

MickChong

Established Member
Reaction score
There are billions of people on this planet, of course we need the majority of researchers to be finding cures to major diseases but that doesn't mean we cannot have others working in other fields to find solutions to other problems whilst we're on this planet. Hair loss fits into that category. I don't understand why we only have the existing treatments when there's so much money to be made in this field?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score

Agree completely. It's not even close in comparison to most other fields.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Apparently all the other diseases and afflictions haven't received enough money yet, either, because, for instance, people are still dying of cancer. To be sure, lifespans of cancer patients have certainly been extended. But there is still no cure. And people are still dying of diabetes and heart disease. The human body has been compared to space exploration because so much of it is still unexplored territory. And although scientists are learning to re-grow cochlear auditory hairs in mice to restore hearing, it's still at the experimental mouse stage. Apparently gene therapy trials are hopeful for restoring 20% of hearing loss in deaf people, and the results are expected in 2017. I think that if hair was considered one of the five senses, a cure might be a little closer to a hair loss cure but probably not by a lot. It's obvious to all of us that unmet market demand for a better hair loss treatment has been high for a long time. So where is the supply if markets are the best way to distribute goods and services? Jeffrey Sachs said in recent years that "the cure" for stagnation affecting the global economy for years is simple: technology inputs. Technology has solved hard problems in the past, and what world economies need now are injections of money for the purpose of doing basic and advanced research. Other countries will want to buy things that are worth buying from the richest countries, like fancy gadgets, computer chip and advanced medical technology. Apparently Japan is deregulating in order to reduce the time, effort and cost of bringing cell-based therapies to market. And we've tried deregulation in everything from electric power distribution to banking, and so what could possibly go wrong with Japan's experiment for deregulation of cell therapies technology?

MickChong

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of cancers have been cured. Hep C has been cured. HIV is virtually cured. Having researchers curing diseases doesn't have to be at the expense of hair loss. It's not a competition. Biggest problem is humanity is wasting our resources and money in death/war/military. Curing disease should be our objective, including this hair loss.

doke

Reaction score
Many thanks hell for the information but we also have to mention these treatments we are talking about are like ru58841 many years ago and this was talked about by Angela Christiano as the wonder hairloss cure and some called it the mother of all anti androgens and will regrow everyones hair that have male pattern baldness.
So we have had psi peptide as a miracle that can grow hair in 16 weeks which now we have jak inhibitors for non male pattern baldness but might regrow hair in a topiclal cream but the price of the drug is too expensive for us to get hold of.
So to be honest although its exciting to see all these so called scientists with there hair trials going on seemingly for ever we still are no more enlightened to a cure in male pattern baldness.
Now hell looking at your many products you are using was you shiny bald and if so have you regrown your hair on these areas? and if so have you pics to prove that because its important that we do not waste money.
Now the most exciting thing i have seen is a totally bald man regrow all his hair and pics to prove it and that is the jak inhibitor now thar was really impressive and if it is made into a topical cream and works for male pattern baldness then with just one product we have hit gold.
But it needs to be a low price for the man in the street because as i have come to experience over many years i have been conned as i see it even by genuine clinics due to the fact they seem to think like dentists there is loads of money to be made out of us poor people that are suffering this disease.

- - - Updated - - -

I have read that even shiny bald advanced male pattern baldness still like a baby when born have hair cells that just need to be turned back on to produce hair as in the jak inhibitor.
But what if we had a one topical lotion or cream that could do this then there might be many clinics that would go out of bussiness no need for costly hair transplants or drugs that do not work? ask the question like there would be many that do not want one company finding the cure as there maybe even a natural out there that may cure male pattern baldness we do not know and it maybe really cheap.
This maybe like if there is a real replacement for oil what will happen to all the oil producing countries they would go bankrupt and lead to major problems, i know this is slightly different but i have heard that they have found major cures for many ailments to save lives many years ago but govs have put the boot in and do not want this.
It may or maynot be true whats been said but we have to think what is there to gain in suppressing us the public? for one i do not trust the money grabbing drug companies who let humans die due to not being able to afford the drugs which in 2015 is a major crime on humanity.
We have to think are we being lied to by the drug companies which many have found by mistake on some drugs that have helped in hairloss we do know that the side effects of some have caused problems at a later date.
Now many here may think whats this got to do with hells topic but i know hells a good man and like all of us we are desperate for something that can really make us happy again and for me that would be to regrow all my hair back.