Hairloss = Depression, Why Are There No Studies?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
A while ago I looked around on the web to try and find definite studies and evidence that hairloss is correlated with depression and had like zero luck. I find that depression causes hairloss but not the reverse. I can find how the worst and most depressing part of cancer is the hair loss but why when I research male pattern baldness and depression I get NOTHING.
I cant believe there have been no real studies on this, I also cant believe it isnt true when self esteem is such a huge issue with hair loss.

Are there honestly just zero studies on the issue or could it just be being pushed down for some reason?

Thoughts? (thoughts aside the "no one cares about guys problems" thoughts)

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score

thanks for these but the first link is about alopecia (I was specifically looking for male pattern baldness) and still says the research into psych is secondary and more focused on women. I think Ive actually seen that one.

second one is about women, I should have specified more that Im only looking for men. Ive seen plenty for women. In my OP I did mention for male pattern baldness. sorry if it was not clear still. I did also add the "no one cares about guys problems" as well though. I could re clarify my OP if you want.

third is interesting, Ill have to finish reading it but even this and the last are more geared towards women.

Im looking for the psych impact on men with male pattern baldness.

Thanks tho

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A while ago I looked around on the web to try and find definite studies and evidence that hairloss is correlated with depression and had like zero luck. I find that depression causes hairloss but not the reverse. I can find how the worst and most depressing part of cancer is the hair loss but why when I research male pattern baldness and depression I get NOTHING.
I cant believe there have been no real studies on this, I also cant believe it isnt true when self esteem is such a huge issue with hair loss.

Are there honestly just zero studies on the issue or could it just be being pushed down for some reason?

I wrote this exact thing as a comment for one of the threads here, I guess you read it and wanted to check yourself?

Yes it is weird, like all the connection between hairloss and depression is that depression can lead to hairloss lol.
And yes I think that fact that no one cares about men's problems probably sums it up, just shut up and do your job a**h**.

And about the cancer patient - its all true, they did some tv program about cancer patients, and in the end they asked them "what's the thing you most afraid of in this process?" guess what they answered? yes, losing their hair.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wrote this exact thing as a comment for one of the threads here, I guess you read it and wanted to check yourself?

Yes it is weird, like all the connection between hairloss and depression is that depression can lead to hairloss lol.
And yes I think that fact that no one cares about men's problems probably sums it up, just shut up and do your job a**h**.

And about the cancer patient - its all true, they did some tv program about cancer patients, and in the end they asked them "what's the thing you most afraid of in this process?" guess what they answered? yes, losing their hair.

honestly no, I never read it and this has ALWAYS bothered me. Of course some of the OP is going to be picked and parted from stuff we've all talked about here but the gist of it is something Ive always felt concerned with.
I feel like if hairloss was recognized to cause (link) with depression then Insurance might be pushed to cover treatments and procedures which they dont want to do so its just never brought out the in the public. I wonder if we here have enough connections and clout to do studies or get someone interested.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're already prone to depression, then hair loss could be a trigger if you really value your hair (like us)

Otherwise no since many bald men are happy

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's certainly an interesting area of research. I would assume that men have been worrying about baldness for as long as humans have existed, but only fairly recently has there been (slightly) more awareness as to how much it can affect them.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-baldness-to-be-an-issue.124510/#post-1827200

check out my related thread, baldness = lack of female intimacy = depression

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't buy this. I bet if you put them in a room and made them think about it, the majority of bald men would admit that they don't like their look and would rather have hair. Yeah, they may not be chronically depressed over it, but I don't think they're 'happy' that they don't have hair.

Who the f*** cares, most just understand that nothing can't be done about it without taking risks that most just don't want to take even if you like it or not and they just want to move on with their life, it's not like you have more than 1... It's obvious that if you ask the majority of bald men and give them a pill tomorrow without sides that would give them a full head of hair back, the majority would take it without blinking, but it's not the case so the majority just accepts it and moves on... It's not rocket science and they are not superficial or whatever others think, for some it's just not worth it especially if there is no real cure or treatment that could reverse it without having to give up your manhood or other things just to gain some hair back, if that would have been the case the majority of bald men would have been on HRT treatments by now, but guess what, the majority does not even want to risk the sides that finasteride can give you !

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep. I'll second this. It's a shame. If bald guys were more self aware then we might have a cure by now. More bald dudes pressuring the drugs companies for a solution equals a greater chance said solution will be more quickly found.

On a side note, good to see you're still kicking Exodus mate. It's me, DBW. I don't know if you remember me but I was posting on this site a few years ago. I was/am an nw6 in my early 20s like yourself. We bonded over the amount of users on here who were nw2s and falsely claiming that their aesthetics were completely fucked when they weren't.

Yeah keep dreaming that if more bald men bla bla we would have had a cure for now, tell that to the cancer patients or to the ones with other diseases that have no cure and press the drug companies in finding one by financing projects with their own billions and guess what, they still don't.. And even if they do they get rapidly shadowed by governments and pharmaceutical companies that thrive on peoples misery and desperation... Don't believe me ? Check doctors Burzynski's documentary and see it with your own eyes !

Link :

Baldy12345

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Who the f*** cares, most just understand that nothing can't be done about it without taking risks that most just don't want to take even if you like it or not and they just want to move on with their life, it's not like you have more than 1... It's obvious that if you ask the majority of bald men and give them a pill tomorrow without sides that would give them a full head of hair back, the majority would take it without blinking, but it's not the case so the majority just accepts it and moves on... It's not rocket science and they are not superficial or whatever others think, for some it's just not worth it especially if there is no real cure or treatment that could reverse it without having to give up your manhood or other things just to gain some hair back, if that would have been the case the majority of bald men would have been on HRT treatments by now, but guess what, the majority does not even want to risk the sides that finasteride can give you !

U would be surprised of the amount of people on finastride.

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
U would be surprised of the amount of people on finastride.

There are 100 times more on nothing wanna bet ? And finasteride does not help everybody, especially the ones that are aggressively balding from 15 years old and Norwood 3 - 4 at 20...

Have any statistics on how many people are actually on finasteride ? Never been able to find one, just statistics on how many prescriptions were handled in the US but nobody knows how many actually took it and for how long...

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Christ. I forgot what a lode star for nutjobs this forum was. Keep taking your mood-stablising tablets, buddo. Don't want you going into meltdown and killing anyone.

Have i offended you in any way by expressing my opinion and the reality itself ? Sorry i did not want to trigger your frustrations, i personally suffer from hair loss and i'm not part of the majority that just accepts it an moves on unfortunately but i'm still able to see the reality and how things really are... And sorry, i don't take any kind of drugs, i won't take any only if my life will depend on it....

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't have any official numbers, but judging by that infamous Ashton Kucher podcast, I'd say that the majority of Hollywood actors are popping it. Don't know about normal people, but in Hollywood they take it like candy.

P.S. You need to ease up on the vitriol, hombre. Your posts are randomly angry-sounding and all amped like you're attacking someone. It's not a good look.

Lol, the same old Ashton Kucher example, the one and only example that you can actually hear on hair loss forums, and the Hollywood actors who you don't personally know and have no idea on what they are taking or not, just own assumptions and opinions which i respect but that does not mean that they are actually true !

BadInvertor

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that. That's why you'll find I carefully qualified my opinion in my post. For what it's worth, I respect you for being wary of finasteride and minoxidil sides. Too many people jump in without thinking, get sides and then regret it (like myself). The ideal is an informed decision - whether you ultimately choose to take the drugs or - and it sounds like that's what you are doing. Good job.

Well, unfortunately after 30 years finasteride and minoxidil are the only things that actually work for "normal men" in some way (not talking about transgenders and their regimes who grown full heads of hair) , and even if they are just some rudimentary treatments that can actually make things worse for some people and that are not even fully understood not even now, after 30 years on how they work or how they were found,etc... It sucks that in 2019 we have to chose between health and hair but unfortunately there are worse things on this Earth that don't have solutions and that's what keeps me thinking rationally and saying to myself that it always can get worse...
And by looking at all the bald people i have seen since i was young, from all the people i see now like more than ever and younger than ever, it clearly shows that the majority thinks just like this, because in the end, we only have one life and it really sucks to watch your life passing through you while your sitting and waiting for a "cure" that maybe won't ever come !

Last edited: