Hairline transplant and hair system behind

Berryhaze

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I came up with this idea a while ago and, because there is really no many threads about this method, I thought I might start one.

So, I am a 24 years old hairsystem user. I’m wearing it on daily basis for 2,5 year now, so I am aware of the pros & cons. My native hairline does not exist and, personally, I think the hairline is the key to realistic, natural look. With hairsystem, using glue every 1,5 week, you can achieve very realistic effect, as you know, that lasts about 3 months. That’s why I decided to take a step further.

I have an appointment for FUE transplant next month. At the moment I am planning to do 1350 grafts. I’ll be restoring the temples and hairline. The grafts will be mostly single-haired, so I’m hoping for realistic out come. Once the hair grows enough, I will be putting custom fitted hairpiece behind front hairline so the artificial one is covered. That’s my plan for my head.

Already payed the deposit, but still looking to hearing from you, what are your opinions on this idea? Maybe you had similar transplant and want to share some tips?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you that I had 2 FUE sessions one year apart and I never really regretted because up until about a year ago I didn’t know hairpieces were an option. I will say now I wish I would have found this earlier and just went the hairpiece route.

The hair that is transplanted is a different texture and while it does look completely natural it still is not what a good hairpiece can do.

Also I did my FUE when I was about 27-28 (now 35) and honestly I think it was too early because I was not able to truly gauge what I needed because my hair had not stopped falling out. While I ended up with decent coverage it by no means what I wanted. I used hair concealers for about 3-4 years prior to the hairpiece.

I just honestly think it’s so much easier to find a good supplier and do a custom hairpiece with the hairline you want. I mean you are going to do a partial piece anyways so it’s not much extra work to just have a whole piece.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
A transplant will never give you the look of a top tier hair system.

However, you at least don't have the go through the experience of telling people, especially women, that you wear a wig.

If you only wear a wig in the back, and FUE the front, well it is at least an easier sell. You aren't really bald, you are just self conscious about your bald spot so you wear a hair piece. This seems to me more acceptable of an explanation than going full out hair system.

That to me is a suitable trade-off, but to some it may not matter.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
However, you at least don't have the go through the experience of telling people, especially women, that you wear a wig.

If you only wear a wig

I always recommend people avoid using the term 'wig' and instead use 'hair system'. The word 'wig' is outdated and while it might sound like a play on words, there is a world of difference between a 'wig' and a 'hair system'. A 'hair system' is a completely customised hairpiece that is integrated with your own hair to achieve a totally naturally and virtually undetectable look (even if it's a stock system, it's still cut to your size, density, colour etc). Also, mentioning you wear a 'wig' has negative connotations - when people hear the term 'wig', they think of something that looks really obvious, unnatural, laughable etc like the big clunky 'rugs' that used to be sold many years ago - the exact opposite of a great quality hair system.

Also, who says you have to ever tell anyone you wear a hair system? You don't, unless you choose to.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I always recommend people avoid using the term 'wig' and instead use 'hair system'. The word 'wig' is outdated and while it might sound like a play on words, there is a world of difference between a 'wig' and a 'hair system'. A 'hair system' is a completely customised hairpiece that is integrated with your own hair to achieve a totally naturally and virtually undetectable look (even if it's a stock system, it's still cut to your size, density, colour etc). Also, mentioning you wear a 'wig' has negative connotations - when people hear the term 'wig', they think of something that looks really obvious, unnatural, laughable etc like the big clunky 'rugs' that used to be sold many years ago - the exact opposite of a great quality hair system.

Also, who says you have to ever tell anyone you wear a hair system? You don't, unless you choose to.
Don't take it the wrong way, I have no problem with hair systems, wigs, whatever term we want to use. Whatever solution helps people deal with this stupid condition, I support. Be it shaving, using treatments, transplants, systems, whatever.

I'm just trying to say that, with women this will likely be a problem. With all of them? No, some may be accepting. They would likely be accepting of you bald headed as well.

With just hanging out with friends, going to work? Yes, in those situations it is unlikely modern hair systems would ever be detected.

You can pretty much do everything with modern hair systems and it is unlikely anyone will find out, I agree.

But there will come a point that the person you are living with will eventually notice it I think. So if that is your wife or girlfriend, I think being upfront about this is the right way to go rather than her finding out by surprise.

Noah

Reaction score
I think this is the earlier post that H4MT was talking about:

... [a hair system behind a transplanted hairline] is a tempting idea, but there are a few considerations you need to be aware of:

(1) transplants are always low density compared with a full natural head of hair - it is not possible for surgeons to transplant hairs anything like as tightly as nature. With a system you can normally have the look of a full natural head of hair, but if the front inch is transplant then you have to go for a lower density system behind to match. If you are just thinking of a very thin line of transplanted hair, this is not such an issue, although then you would still need to put in the effort to keep the hairline of the piece undetectable, because it would still be partly visible;

(2) once you get a transplanted hairline you are committed to keeping your hairline in that location. That can be a problem, because as you get older your hairloss may get more advanced, and often your side hair recedes and thins, which can make the hair system look unbalanced and fake. If you were wearing an ordinary system you could just adapt it - move the hairline back a bit and build more recession into the hairline, but if you have a transplanted hairline you can't do that. A 50-year old guy with a 50-year-old's side hair but a 30-year-old's hairline is going to look a bit suspect, and I have occasionally seen that;

(3) you are pretty much also committed to wearing a hair system permanently. The option of ditching the piece and shaving is going to be much less attractive, because you will have a scar (or at least scarring) at the back and uneven mottled skin under the transplants at the front. You will also look pretty odd when you take the piece off, with your isolated tufts of hair at the front, and the more hair you transplant the odder you will look. So you probably won't ever want to be seen without your piece;

(4) with a transplanted hairline you have to get a good contour match between the back of the transplanted hairline area and the front of the system, and a consistently accurate placement of the system, otherwise you will get the system sitting on top of the tp hairs or a bald gap, both of which look peculiar.

So I wouldn't want to put you off the idea - it can be successful - but just be aware of the issues with it. In particular, because of point (2), be conservative about where you place the transplants so that it is not going to look silly as you get older.

Noah

PaulMac

Reaction score
Just to touch on what others have discussed and hopefully add something into the mix because I considered FUE with a system behind recently...

Going for a full system was an awesome option for me at the time I got my first. It changed my life after I had extreme shedding over 3-6 months. It seemed like I was going to be a NW7 at 30 like my dad.

I rocked the system for 3 years. Every so often a drunk friend of a friend at a party would draw attention to me personally it in a negative way, as though they had been thinking about it prior to getting drunk enough to say something. "Why would you wear that?" etc. and a couple of people I work with asked about it in a less negative way.

The hairline of a system must be glued to perfection if you don't have a style that covers it, so I totally understand where you're coming from. The hairline is so so important and some people just don't suit a fringe.

Sometimes the lace was visible if it popped up at the hairline during a hot day, and for others they certainly noticed that I went from 30% natural density to BOOM a 65% density system with a better hairline. I was out with a lot of acquaintances/sort of friends right after having my first system fitting and two of them were staring and smiling at my hairline. You could tell they wanted to laugh. It really is a shame that we care what these people think when we should only care for what the very few we love and respect think of us. I told those closest to me about the system, but the problem is people change, some friendships fall apart and some of those people have likely told others regardless. At least with areal hairs on the hairline I guess just about no one would notice, so long as the match was perfect.

I grew to not really care what others thought on good days, but our mental health isn't always optimal to be able to think that way.

My hair loss has stabilised a great deal since wearing a system even though I didn't take any meds. It seems that I've followed my mum's family's genetics and not my dads and they have all had thin hair since their mid 20s. I started looking into FUE in my hairline with a hair system behind it quite recently and it seems that it may be a huge hassle to get perfect every time. At least with a system your hair type, colour etc. can be very very close without being perfect as the hair on the top of your head can generally be styled or cut differently to the sides.

I couldn't find any pictures of any posts of people with knowledge that it would work and look natural. With your system you can give or take a few millimetres as to where it sits - especially if the system hair is long-ish. With how messy the glue or tape can get from a partial system with certain scalp types it may end up being detached and cleaned way more than just going for a full system. For me that would likely be every 2 or 3 days. It will make your hair where the system meets it a mess after a few days in my personal experience.

After doing a lot of research on forum posts like this with very invaluable replies and opinions I opted for just getting a full hair transplant. If I were a higher Norwood it could have been a different decision but I'm going for 4500 grafts and thankfully most of that is going on my hairline and mid scalp. I realise it wont be as full as my hair system but I think for me personally using meds and a little but of Toppik where necessary will look for natural and better for my own piece of mind.

I actually used to pull a lot of hair out of my hair system to make it seem more natural and then after 3 months it would look probably less dense than my hair transplant will be!

Just in my experience I think a system with a natural hairline in front would work best if you're quiffing it for example. The more product and less perception of where each starts and ends might work really well, but I do think it could be a time-consuming nightmare regardless of how good it looks. Just make sure either way that it's a very good match! Let us know if you go ahead with it as well. I'd be very interested to know and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Blurred Hairlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
My friends, the post that everyone is referring to was posted by me a while ago. Check this link for the original discussion:

I stand by the content of my post: I think it's a powerful, long-term solution to hair loss. That being said, Noah is absolutely correct on every point. The actors that have done this method with success probably have a lot of financial resources and the best surgeons. I'd encourage you OP to give this method a try if you've done your research and have the money to spend! And please update the community with the results/progress!

joely87

Reaction score
I had this method not out of choice, I had a transplant too young, and the inevitable happened, I lost the rest of it, so now I have a system covering most my head, the first few years looked really good and I was really pleased I could literally have any style I wanted with my own hair line, last few years however my transplanted hair has thinned and it doesn’t look as good! And I’m limited abit more with styles!!!

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
A transplant will never give you the look of a top tier hair system.

If you only wear a wig in the back, and FUE the front, well it is at least an easier sell. You aren't really bald, you are just self conscious about your bald spot so you wear a hair piece. This seems to me more acceptable of an explanation than going full out hair system.

That to me is a suitable trade-off, but to some it may not matter.
Women just like what looks good really is what I think, they don't have any problems wearing extensions or fake eyelashes.

If you can turn yourself into a hunk with hair I'm sure they'll like it, plus with a good hair system applied right it's not like you'll be living in fear of it blowing off or anything so it wouldn't really make things weird other than the few times she might see you take it off.

I'm sure there's some movie actors they see in their stage outfit/hair and dream of them but when they see the actor out of costume they would prefer them to be in costume.

They do like some spice too so the fact you can at least have a style rather than the same old shaved head I'm sure they would appreciate, some women might be vain about it but there's plenty that won't.

That's certainly the reason I'm going the hair system route is for variety, I used to shave my head when I was a teen before I was balding but it's different when you start to reach the point you might not have a choice in style.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you that I had 2 FUE sessions one year apart and I never really regretted because up until about a year ago I didn’t know hairpieces were an option. I will say now I wish I would have found this earlier and just went the hairpiece route.

The hair that is transplanted is a different texture and while it does look completely natural it still is not what a good hairpiece can do.

Also I did my FUE when I was about 27-28 (now 35) and honestly I think it was too early because I was not able to truly gauge what I needed because my hair had not stopped falling out. While I ended up with decent coverage it by no means what I wanted. I used hair concealers for about 3-4 years prior to the hairpiece.

I just honestly think it’s so much easier to find a good supplier and do a custom hairpiece with the hairline you want. I mean you are going to do a partial piece anyways so it’s not much extra work to just have a whole piece.
I am all for it. I love my wig but when I was male, I don't know, I felt a stigma about systems. Maybe it's only my hang-up but I prefer wigs cause you can take them off. Wigs stay on really well also and they are cheap and low maintenance but this wig I am wearing is much longer than hair systems typically so the weight helps. It breathes well. I just think more guys should consider wigs but that's even more stigma, I guess. No, you can't swim in one but I swim seldom anyway. In the olden days, the Hair Club for Men always showed people swimming in the commercials but people always made fun of the Hair Club for Men as on Seinfeld. There are no perfect solutions though but the lack of needing adhesives is another reason, that I prefer a wig since I guess I could get a female hair system. I shouldn't need one much longer but I will always wear them on special occasions for a different look and because they are fun, somehow for us. Hair pieces aren't fun. I considered them at age 20 and then I saw an ad for Polysorbate 60 and that really slowed down my hair loss. I got a crappy hair transplant later that barely took so that's another plus for hair systems although transplants usually take now. Back then, you often came out scarred and cobblestoned sadly.

TexanGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am all for it. I love my wig but when I was male, I don't know, I felt a stigma about systems. Maybe it's only my hang-up but I prefer wigs cause you can take them off. Wigs stay on really well also and they are cheap and low maintenance but this wig I am wearing is much longer than hair systems typically so the weight helps. It breathes well. I just think more guys should consider wigs but that's even more stigma, I guess. No, you can't swim in one but I swim seldom anyway. In the olden days, the Hair Club for Men always showed people swimming in the commercials but people always made fun of the Hair Club for Men as on Seinfeld. There are no perfect solutions though but the lack of needing adhesives is another reason, that I prefer a wig since I guess I could get a female hair system. I shouldn't need one much longer but I will always wear them on special occasions for a different look and because they are fun, somehow for us. Hair pieces aren't fun. I considered them at age 20 and then I saw an ad for Polysorbate 60 and that really slowed down my hair loss. I got a crappy hair transplant later that barely took so that's another plus for hair systems although transplants usually take now. Back then, you often came out scarred and cobblestoned sadly.
I never even considered a hair system until a few weeks ago because I didn't know about the existence of the types that are around now and only thought of the oldschool pieces from the three stooges era.

Until I saw hair systems on Baldcafe's youtube channel which lead me to some related videos that showed me the magic being done with hair systems I was fully just thinking I would either go to turkey for a hair transplant or end up shaving it eventually.

I did a consultation and they suggested a clip on system but I wasn't even open to the idea, it would be nice to take the hairpiece off every night though, I haven't got my first system yet so I don't know what it's like to wear a system for a week or more. Full thin skins seem like they would get pretty airtight and feel a bit claustrophobic but lace seems like it's not too bad.

Always is good to fight the hair loss itself though and a wig definitely helps that process vs shaving your head to fit in the hair system

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never even considered a hair system until a few weeks ago because I didn't know about the existence of the types that are around now and only thought of the oldschool pieces from the three stooges era.

Until I saw hair systems on Baldcafe's youtube channel which lead me to some related videos that showed me the magic being done with hair systems I was fully just thinking I would either go to turkey for a hair transplant or end up shaving it eventually.

I did a consultation and they suggested a clip on system but I wasn't even open to the idea, it would be nice to take the hairpiece off every night though, I haven't got my first system yet so I don't know what it's like to wear a system for a week or more. Full thin skins seem like they would get pretty airtight and feel a bit claustrophobic but lace seems like it's not too bad.

Always is good to fight the hair loss itself though and a wig definitely helps that process vs shaving your head to fit in the hair system
Hey, I mean if there's a cure, you are still ready and for younger guys, you can wait to see how high your fringe remains if you want to go the transplant route. I think there is a bit of system shock when you take them off and that's why many don't want that option or they fear chicks pulling it off by accident.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Moe was their leader since he had the hair.... Goddess knows, those were some horrible shows. Physical comedy is not something that I care for. Do young folks today even know who the 3 Stooges are?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
One other thing some might remember. On the Love Boat, they have a high school reunion for some mythical school. Well, the class president now wore a really bad toupee and his girlfriend whom he disrobed during a ball decides to get revenge and she sets him up, I am trying to remember how but maybe behind a divider or sheet and she yanks it away and his hair at the same time and the poor guy ran out crying. She felt very guilty later when she had to look Mr. Roark in the eye.

But ultimately it was his fault even beyond his treatment of her at the prom. Know why? Because she finds out that he wears a toupee by telling him that bald men are so much sexier than guys with hair. Now, I remember, he actually pulls it off and she opens a stage curtain and he runs off. Anyone who falls for a line like that maybe deserves it....

That's why it sucks for attractive people even more so, the quick transition from prom king to incel in three years or even less is jarring and makes the hair loss much worse as it is worse to lose your looks she said than to never have them in the first place. Goddess, I grew up in the South and I only pegged one chick before my hair loss became visible and I wasn't done with my hair yet, or my ex-wife, but that's another story. As always, Goddess bless.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
I have since been growing more and more into the idea of this. Originally I did not like it too much. Now I actually have a consultation with a transplant surgeon in two weeks. Allow me to explain my thoughts...

To me personally and I think most guys who wear systems, the NUMBER ONE concern and number one way you're likely to be outed if it were to happen, is the hairline. I don't wear yet, but while I have done endless research on systems and feel comfortable about going down this route eventually, I still have nightmares about the possibility of a lift at work, or the hairline bond breaking down on a hot day outside at a friends backyard BBQ, or the hairline placed a tad incorrectly during a redo here and there, etc.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist in general (guilty) and I don't know, I just continue to have anxiety about the hairline factor of systems. I don't give a damn about the maintenance and I don't give a damn about the cost, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't give a damn if I was outed. Let's be honest, it would be a horrific feeling, and the only way you could ever be outed (well, 99%) is with a bad hairline.

That being said, I think the system behind the transplanted hairline is an absolutely amazing idea, so long as you understand certain things like Noah had pointed out. The biggest negative would be having to carefully always place it behind the hairline making sure to not stick it down to any of the natural hair up front. That could be difficult at times. There are even a few celebrities that I am certain wear the system behind the hairline such as Matthew McConnaghey as his hairline looks exactly the same all the time. But yeah it would just be a beautiful thing going out with a full head of (mostly system) hair and never having to worry if today is the day SOMETHING might go wrong or if SOMEONE notices something off at your hairline. Peace of mind is what it is and if that has to cost me a few thousand dollars and a couple of weeks off of work then so be it. I've been told that you can put makeup over the pinkish transplanted area while it heals for the few months.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have since been growing more and more into the idea of this. Originally I did not like it too much. Now I actually have a consultation with a transplant surgeon in two weeks. Allow me to explain my thoughts...

To me personally and I think most guys who wear systems, the NUMBER ONE concern and number one way you're likely to be outed if it were to happen, is the hairline. I don't wear yet, but while I have done endless research on systems and feel comfortable about going down this route eventually, I still have nightmares about the possibility of a lift at work, or the hairline bond breaking down on a hot day outside at a friends backyard BBQ, or the hairline placed a tad incorrectly during a redo here and there, etc.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist in general (guilty) and I don't know, I just continue to have anxiety about the hairline factor of systems. I don't give a damn about the maintenance and I don't give a damn about the cost, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't give a damn if I was outed. Let's be honest, it would be a horrific feeling, and the only way you could ever be outed (well, 99%) is with a bad hairline.

That being said, I think the system behind the transplanted hairline is an absolutely amazing idea, so long as you understand certain things like Noah had pointed out. The biggest negative would be having to carefully always place it behind the hairline making sure to not stick it down to any of the natural hair up front. That could be difficult at times. There are even a few celebrities that I am certain wear the system behind the hairline such as Matthew McConnaghey as his hairline looks exactly the same all the time. But yeah it would just be a beautiful thing going out with a full head of (mostly system) hair and never having to worry if today is the day SOMETHING might go wrong or if SOMEONE notices something off at your hairline. Peace of mind is what it is and if that has to cost me a few thousand dollars and a couple of weeks off of work then so be it. I've been told that you can put makeup over the pinkish transplanted area while it heals for the few months.
You are making me think of poor James Spader. I am like what happened dude? These are interesting questions and transplants can be like this too if you can't get away for a month or whatever. If you look at old Love Boat episodes they had a really mean one where this female tricks this guy out of his toupee and then she yanks open a curtain and he runs off traumatized. Nobody wants that and then on the other extreme from my childhood where the father's always taking them off in front of company so I get that is why you want something anchored and discreet. This wasn't the path I took until I became female and if someone lifted my wig, I know have good hair under there which was part of the point of this for me. Just from trying to spot them like on Seinfeld, you want to have a hairline visible.

Here's another trick that you won't want to do but it actually can work great for some. Bing Crosby wore a piece but only in front and it look much more natural cause you looked past the hairline to the bald spot but I know nobody wants a system like that but those can be really effective for older guys. I respect you and I will keep looking in and trying to learn more. I did go to Hair Club for Men at 20 so I know, I was lucky that min came out just in time.

Berryhaze

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I came up with this idea a while ago and, because there is really no many threads about this method, I thought I might start one.

So, I am a 24 years old hairsystem user. I’m wearing it on daily basis for 2,5 year now, so I am aware of the pros & cons. My native hairline does not exist and, personally, I think the hairline is the key to realistic, natural look. With hairsystem, using glue every 1,5 week, you can achieve very realistic effect, as you know, that lasts about 3 months. That’s why I decided to take a step further.

I have an appointment for FUE transplant next month. At the moment I am planning to do 1350 grafts. I’ll be restoring the temples and hairline. The grafts will be mostly single-haired, so I’m hoping for realistic out come. Once the hair grows enough, I will be putting custom fitted hairpiece behind front hairline so the artificial one is covered. That’s my plan for my head.

Already payed the deposit, but still looking to hearing from you, what are your opinions on this idea? Maybe you had similar transplant and want to share some tips?
Did it. About 1500 grafts. Currently 1 day post op.

Attachments

• C04F28B6-160B-4B91-9255-428A79FC2377.jpeg
    C04F28B6-160B-4B91-9255-428A79FC2377.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 203