Hairline never truly laying smooth?

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 2 months into wearing systems as a young guy. Overall very satisfied with the look for me and how relatively easy it is to maintain.

I am ordering my systems from Lordhair (stock) and having them cut and installed at HairClub. HairClub does a great job cutting and styling and installing it and my stylists are really nice and helpful.

However, I’m having hairline issues. The hairline never truly lays smooth on my scalp, from the moment I leave the salon. They have tried different techniques of adhesive and nothing has really fixed it. The hairline starts to come up a few millimeters just hours after I leave the salon, and within a few days, it comes up like a centimeter or so when I’m in the shower. I’m very careful and gentle with my hair, so I’m treating it properly. I’m trying to figure out why this is happening and what else I can do about it.

I wear my hairstyle with bangs so the hairline isn’t exposed, so it’s not a huge problem, but it definitely would be an issue if I were to style the hair backwards. I wouldn’t feel comfortable exposing the hairline when it’s coming up and rippling slightly like this.

We already use Max Hold Sport which is supposed to increase the effectiveness of the adhesive.

Here is a picture of how it looks just hours after leaving the salon. Same thing happens with different stylists and adhesive techniques.

9106B2CA-D041-4716-97F0-BF099582402A.jpeg

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you I have that identical issue and have yet to figure it out after wearing for a year. Glues don’t work at all for me so I’ve used tapes mostly. I have literally tried every tape known to man and I use max hold. I’ve tried every technique such as placing the tape over and cutting and nothing works.

I do expose my hairline so it’s an issue for me however I’m not as self conscious about it. No one has said anything to me yet about it and believe me I work with and know some very blunt people who would call it out.

People don’t stare at our hairlines like we seem to think they do!

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 2 months into wearing systems as a young guy. Overall very satisfied with the look for me and how relatively easy it is to maintain.

I am ordering my systems from Lordhair (stock) and having them cut and installed at HairClub. HairClub does a great job cutting and styling and installing it and my stylists are really nice and helpful.

However, I’m having hairline issues. The hairline never truly lays smooth on my scalp, from the moment I leave the salon. They have tried different techniques of adhesive and nothing has really fixed it. The hairline starts to come up a few millimeters just hours after I leave the salon, and within a few days, it comes up like a centimeter or so when I’m in the shower. I’m very careful and gentle with my hair, so I’m treating it properly. I’m trying to figure out why this is happening and what else I can do about it.

I wear my hairstyle with bangs so the hairline isn’t exposed, so it’s not a huge problem, but it definitely would be an issue if I were to style the hair backwards. I wouldn’t feel comfortable exposing the hairline when it’s coming up and rippling slightly like this.

We already use Max Hold Sport which is supposed to increase the effectiveness of the adhesive.

Here is a picture of how it looks just hours after leaving the salon. Same thing happens with different stylists and adhesive techniques.

View attachment 167149
Hey man, have u tried tape on hairline?

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you I have that identical issue and have yet to figure it out after wearing for a year. Glues don’t work at all for me so I’ve used tapes mostly. I have literally tried every tape known to man and I use max hold. I’ve tried every technique such as placing the tape over and cutting and nothing works.

I do expose my hairline so it’s an issue for me however I’m not as self conscious about it. No one has said anything to me yet about it and believe me I work with and know some very blunt people who would call it out.

People don’t stare at our hairlines like we seem to think they do!
Hmm. Strange. I know people who don't have this issue at all; their system lays perfectly smooth...I just don't understand how.

Hey man, have u tried tape on hairline?
Yeah, tape is what's on there right now. They tried liquid adhesive on top of the tape too and no improvement.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
You let them clean your scalp and wash the hair system? Make sure they're doing it properly. And don't sweat and get it wet 24h after.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can tell you that I have followed everything to a “T” with no improvement. Glues would not let me hairline stay down longer than a day no matter which glue I used.

I do have an oily forehead and I honestly just think that’s why for me.

Do you happen to have an oily forehead as well?

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You let them clean your scalp and wash the hair system? Make sure they're doing it properly. And don't sweat and get it wet 24h after.
Yes, completely. They even use Max Sport Hold which cuts the expected time before "sweating" down to just 1 hour. I still do not sweat or wet it for several hours after leaving the salon and it still does this. It must be something with the base and the way it fits to my head. Perhaps in the future if I start ordering custom systems it will be better.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can tell you that I have followed everything to a “T” with no improvement. Glues would not let me hairline stay down longer than a day no matter which glue I used.

I do have an oily forehead and I honestly just think that’s why for me.

Do you happen to have an oily forehead as well?
I believe I probably do have an oily head. They dry it out with alcohol, but perhaps it's still just not enough and just something I'll have to deal with.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm. Strange. I know people who don't have this issue at all; their system lays perfectly smooth...I just don't understand how.

Yeah, tape is what's on there right now. They tried liquid adhesive on top of the tape too and no improvement.
I hear u man, keep at it, you'll figure it out thru trial and error. Plus the cooler months will be hear before u know it :)

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a plethora of different glues and tapes. To me it’s not the product that is the issue, it’s my body chemistry.

If I have an overly forehead/hairline then I don’t think anything will stick for too long.

I’ve been practicing for over a year now to no avail.

Noah

Reaction score
Not only is it "not laying truly smooth" - it's not attached at all. You can clearly see right underneath the hairpiece.

A few thoughts here:

- as others have said, your scalp and the hairpiece must be squeaky clean. You can clean your scalp with alcohol. You can clean the piece by soaking the base in alcohol for 10 minutes, and just making sure there is no residue from the last attachment.

- the place where you apply the unit must be cool and dry. Presumably that is not an issue if it's a salon.

- the adhesive must be dry before the piece is applied - dry but tacky, like the gum on a Post-It Note.

- once you have applied the hairline, use the teeth of a comb held sideways to really dig the lace into the adhesive. A metal comb is best for this.

- you mention that they use Max Sport because it reduces the curing time to an hour. My guess is that that is the source of your problem - that looks to me like a hairline which has gone white and come off because it wasn't allowed to cure properly. I suggest you try a conventional glue with a longer curing time, to see if that is the problem. Ghostbond, Ultrahold and Davlyn are the most true and tested. You could also try Walkers 3-mil thin lace support tape. It is the only tape which is suitable for an exposed hairline - it is not actually tape in the conventional sense, but semi-solid glue sold in a tape format. Once you remove the backing paper there is only glue left - no polythene film. It is very reliable.

Noah

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not only is it "not laying truly smooth" - it's not attached at all. You can clearly see right underneath the hairpiece.
Yeah, this is only the case right at the front edge, though. I have zero issues around the sides and back.

A few thoughts here:

- as others have said, your scalp and the hairpiece must be squeaky clean. You can clean your scalp with alcohol. You can clean the piece by soaking the base in alcohol for 10 minutes, and just making sure there is no residue from the last attachment.
HairClub does this for me. This was also a brand new, first-time attachment.
- the place where you apply the unit must be cool and dry. Presumably that is not an issue if it's a salon.
HairClub salon room was cool and dry.
- the adhesive must be dry before the piece is applied - dry but tacky, like the gum on a Post-It Note.
They should be doing this properly; if it's tape only then it doesn't need to dry.
- once you have applied the hairline, use the teeth of a comb held sideways to really dig the lace into the adhesive. A metal comb is best for this.
They do not do this; they just press down with their fingers.
- you mention that they use Max Sport because it reduces the curing time to an hour. My guess is that that is the source of your problem - that looks to me like a hairline which has gone white and come off because it wasn't allowed to cure properly. I suggest you try a conventional glue with a longer curing time, to see if that is the problem. Ghostbond, Ultrahold and Davlyn are the most true and tested. You could also try Walkers 3-mil thin lace support tape. It is the only tape which is suitable for an exposed hairline - it is not actually tape in the conventional sense, but semi-solid glue sold in a tape format. Once you remove the backing paper there is only glue left - no polythene film. It is very reliable.

Noah
The first two times I had attachments done, Max Hold Sport was not used. This problem was occurring, so we tried Max Hold Sport because we thought it may help, and with me being active and working out daily, it sounds like a great idea. There was no change with this hairline issue though....no better, no worse. We use Walker ultra hold mini tape, they did try ghostbond and ultra bond too I believe.

The Walker 3-mil thin lace support tape is pretty much the only thing we haven't tried in this list yet, I believe. So maybe I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

Noah

Reaction score
Good luck Nahte. This issue of the hairline detaching is one of the most common newbie issues, and weird as it may seem, it often seems to cure itself, in the sense that it stops happening after the first couple of weeks. I don't know why, but that has been my experience time after time.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After this thread I decided to try the 3mil tape again last night. I tried it last year and actually it worked really well, however it’s sooooo tough to use and manage. My girlfriend, who does all my taping, said “no not this tape again!”. She actually didn’t have too bad of a time last night with it and it’s the only one thus far that does not cause my hairline to lift almost immediately. I’ll let you know how many days I get out of it, but if I recall last time I was able to get a good 4 days from it.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This makes my third full day of the lace thin and I forgot how amazing this tape is (when you can handle it). I think I will remove it tonight since it’s not started breaking down yet so hopefully it’s not a pain to clean. I really think i can at least get another day and possibly two out of it. If my gf can continue handling it like she did on Tuesday night then this tape is a completely game changer for me.

Nahte: you really should test it as this is literally the only tape or glue that my head is perfectly sticking to. Warning: you may go through several strips trying to get it to work right.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This makes my third full day of the lace thin and I forgot how amazing this tape is (when you can handle it). I think I will remove it tonight since it’s not started breaking down yet so hopefully it’s not a pain to clean. I really think i can at least get another day and possibly two out of it. If my gf can continue handling it like she did on Tuesday night then this tape is a completely game changer for me.

Nahte: you really should test it as this is literally the only tape or glue that my head is perfectly sticking to. Warning: you may go through several strips trying to get it to work right.
I ordered it! This, right? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JNG9FS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V1H83ARSHGB49G98TRDX

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes that looks right. I’m not sure about the seller but I would choose Advent Hair as I buy direct from his website and have always been impressed with his shipping. Here is a link to the product on his actual website. I believe I bought C and CC from there.