Hair Tape/glue Health Problems And Risks?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw, I'm glad your on here, sorry we got off on the wrong foot. I really believe you want to help people
Thank you very much for saying that. I do want to help. :)

My type A personality takes over once in awhile too! haha

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yes, they have a whole world of downsides to them.

If you suffer from anxiety a much safer alternative is hydroxyzine. It's a first-generation antihistamine but it has sedative properties. In some studies it's worked as well as benzos but with zero addictive properties.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yes, they have a whole world of downsides to them.
I just went through a horrible withdrawal, worst experience of my life. Pure hell for 9 months
If you suffer from anxiety a much safer alternative is hydroxyzine. It's a first-generation antihistamine but it has sedative properties. In some studies it's worked as well as benzos but with zero addictive properties.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just went through 9 months of pure hell withdrawal, worst experience of my life. I was put on them for muscle issues

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just went through 9 months of pure hell withdrawal, worst experience of my life. I was put on them for muscle issues
Sorry to hear about that, not much worse one can go through. My friend's nephew was taking them and stopped cold turkey on his own... ended up in ICU and the hospital for about a month. Glad you made it through.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that, not much worse one can go through. My friend's nephew was taking them and stopped cold turkey on his own... ended up in ICU and the hospital for about a month. Glad you made it through.
Still going through it technically, better but still not over. This is basically what prompted me to look into all I have been doing.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The manufacturers do in fact tell us what the ingredients are, as they are required by law to do so. Each product sold has an MSDS sheet that you can pull up.

Medically speaking 60% of whatever you apply to your skin is in your bloodstream and circulating within 26 seconds... . Circulating through every organ from your brain to your lungs to your kidneys Etc...

There have been no specific studies following people for 30 years and evaluating their increased risks of cancer with regard to hair system products. However, the fact Still remains that cancer is at an all-time high. Much of it Hodgkin's and Non Hodgkin's lymphoma, which is in the blood and through the lymphatic system. This is exactly what chemicals such as adhesives and Roundup can cause....

Any acrylic hair system MSDS safety sheet specifically States if it gets on your skin to immediately wash it off and remove your clothing. However we leave it on our head, which is the most vascular part of our body, for 7 to 30 days at a time.

Most all ingredients in acrylic adhesives are Class 2 carcinogen. This means they are likely to cause cancer. Not that they can specifically prove cause-and-effect like a Class 1 carcinogen. But it's very much likely and only one step away from being classified as a guarantee to cause cancer.
Too bad...aside from the adhesives we have discussed, would you say there are any other risks to consider with waring hair? For instance anything involving the physical aspects of waring? Pressure on the head? Lack of sunlight? Constant presence on the skin? What's your opinion on other aspects aside from the glues? Thanks

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Too bad...aside from the adhesives we have discussed, would you say there are any other risks to consider with waring hair? For instance anything involving the physical aspects of waring? Pressure on the head? Lack of sunlight? Constant presence on the skin? What's your opinion on other aspects aside from the glues? Thanks
The only other thing that concerns me is bacteria. Especially with Poly, like I use.

When we remove our system for a redo, we always apply alcohol or c22 to remove the adhesive from our scalp. We do so by applying and rubbing. I've had, on many occasions, whether it be a tiny pimple,ingrown hair or whatever... I rubbed and caused a little Nick or abrasion that would bleed.

With the abundance of bacteria on the scalp that is a direct route into blood / body.

Extreme worst case scenario, which is rare but does happen, would be the bacteria gaining access the bloodstream which could prove to be fatal.

Again this would be very uncommon but does happen with superficial injuries when otherwise harmless bacteria, that normally lives on our skin is given a route into the blood.

What I do, is spray my scalp with 91% alcohol and allow it to dry a few times.... then jump in the shower and clean my whole scalp with soap.... Afterwards I start removing leftover adhesive and goop and clean my scalp. This way you are killing off a great deal of the bacteria and washing before you start scrubbing your scalp.

Keep in mind 91% alcohol is a better concentration to kill bacteria versus 99%. This is because the application of alcohol is not what kills the bacteria it's the amount of time it stays on and dries. With 9% water the alcohol is able to stay on the bacteria much longer therefore killing more of it. Some studies suggest 70% is even better at killing bacteria, but I stick with 91.

Some folks may chime in and use this as an opportunity to say lace better because it breathes. In areas where there's no adhesive or tape, yes it will breathe, but underneath tape or adhesive is going to breed bacteria, whether lace or polyurethane is on top, that makes no difference....As the bacteria is trapped between the tape/adhesive and your scalp. I will say with a poly it's worse because bacteria will also collect where there is no adhesive or tape.

Last edited:

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only other thing that concerns me is bacteria. Especially with Poly, like I use.

When we remove our system for a redo, we always apply alcohol or c22 to remove the adhesive from our scalp. We do so by applying and rubbing. I've had, on many occasions, whether it be a tiny pimple,ingrown hair or whatever... I rubbed and caused a little Nick or abrasion that would bleed.

With the abundance of bacteria on the scalp that is a direct route into blood / body.

Extreme worst case scenario, which is rare but does happen, would be the bacteria gaining access the bloodstream which could prove to be fatal.

Again this would be very uncommon but does happen with superficial injuries when otherwise harmless bacteria, that normally lives on our skin is given a route into the blood.

What I do, is spray my scalp with 91% alcohol and allow it to dry a few times.... then jump in the shower and clean my whole scalp with soap.... Afterwards I start removing leftover adhesive and goop and clean my scalp. This way you are killing off a great deal of the bacteria and washing before you start scrubbing your scalp.

Keep in mind 91% alcohol is a better concentration to kill bacteria versus 99%. This is because the application of alcohol is not what kills the bacteria it's the amount of time it stays on and dries. With 9% water the alcohol is able to stay on the bacteria much longer therefore killing more of it. Some studies suggest 70% is even better at killing bacteria, but I stick with 91.

Some folks may chime in and use this as an opportunity to say lace better because it breathes. In areas where there's no adhesive or tape, yes it will breathe, but underneath tape or adhesive is going to breed bacteria, whether lace or polyurethane is on top, that makes no difference....As the bacteria is trapped between the tape/adhesive and your scalp. I will say with a poly it's worse because bacteria will also collect where there is no adhesive or tape.
I can not use alcohol due to a medical situation, I never have. I clean everything with shampoo several times until every is off and clean. Is there any other precaution I can take? If a bacteria situation did arise I assume some symptoms would go with it??? Does this only apply to a injury site like you said if something was bleeding?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can not use alcohol due to a medical situation, I never have. I clean everything with shampoo several times until every is off and clean. Is there any other precaution I can take? If a bacteria situation did arise I assume some symptoms would go with it??? Does this only apply to a injury site like you said if something was bleeding?
It's certainly not "if bacteria" that's an absolute that there is bacteria.

I'm not talking about if you have an injury... I'm saying if you abraded the skin while cleaning it... which would cause a route to the bloodstream. There are countless bacteria on our skin 24/7 by nature. They are harmless and in many cases beneficial.... unless they are given access to our bloodstream , then a harmless bacteria can become deadly.

What is the reason you can't use alcohol?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's certainly not "if bacteria" that's an absolute that there is bacteria.
Benzo withdrawal has left my cns very
I'm not talking about if you have an injury... I'm saying if you abraded the skin while cleaning it... which would cause a route to the bloodstream. There are countless bacteria on our skin 24/7. I design of nature. They are harmless and in some cases beneficial unless they are given access to our bloodstream , then a harmless bacteria can become deadly.

What is the reason you can't use alcohol?

I messaged your inbox

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Nostab2 What do you use to attach your unit to your head and what do you use to clean it?

Also, I'm a little confused? Are you a lace user, with a full poly perimeter, or partial poly perimeter, or what exactly?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Nostab2 What do you use to attach your unit to your head and what do you use to clean it?

Also, I'm a little confused? Are you a lace user, with a full poly perimeter, or partial poly perimeter, or what exactly?
Yes, polly permiter but over lace system. Polly just back and sides. I use ghost bond now but used vapon no tape for quite a while.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I use soap and water with antibacterial soap for cleaning

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
BTW, Benzos aren't that bad, provided that you don't abuse them. Also, you those with longer half-lives like Klonopin or Librium - & definitely not Xanax, which is the stickiest.

As with Alcohol, Benzo withdrawal can be lethal, cause seizures & all sorts of discomfort.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
BTW, Benzos aren't that bad, provided that you don't abuse them. Also, you those with longer half-lives like Klonopin or Librium - & definitely not Xanax, which is the stickiest.

As with Alcohol, Benzo withdrawal can be lethal, cause seizures & all sorts of discomfort.
I just went through withdrawal, its horrible, I know all about benzodiazepines, I was on clonazepam for 9 years. Not to bad if your only on for 2 to 4 weeks, I never abused, doctor prescribed, lowest dose there is, took me 6 months to taper and now 5 months off, had to take time off work, believe me, its bad

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just went through withdrawal, its horrible, I know all about benzodiazepines, I was on clonazepam for 9 years. Not to bad if your only on for 2 to 4 weeks, I never abused, doctor prescribed, lowest dose there is, took me 6 months to taper and now 5 months off, had to take time off work, believe me, its bad

I've been on K-Pins as well, but for 11 yrs. 2mg a day; I've had to stop cold turkey owing to circumstances. I'm not sure if I withdrew.

I certainly did not withdraw in the very obvious way in which I withdraw after an alcoholic binge, which, I'm sure if I didn't have the benzos around to bring me down, I'd have had a seizure by now.