Hair Tape/glue Health Problems And Risks?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
That might be the problem: the ingredients are also used for different cosmetic purposes which are far from skin contact 24/7 50 years. So they've already concluded that all is fine on wrong application, that's documented and then forgot. When knowledge is 40 years old already and no new studies have been done, I think that's a reason to doubt a little as well.

Just got off with David the Chief Operating Officer for Pro Hair Labs the maker of ghost Bond. Again they are one of the greatest companies I've ever dealt with.

He said the reason they don't make a water-based tape is because it would flat-out would not work. When you peel back the tape and expose the adhesive it would still be wet and never dry/cure to the plastic substrate... the reason tapes work with acrylic based is because of the bad chemicals that are quick to evaporate off which allow it to cure to the plastic substrate and subsequently cure to your scalp on the other side.

Pro Hair Labs also sells acrylic Bond but he flat out told me people are foolish if they think it's safe there are many lawsuits out there and there will continue to be more....

He said they sell acrylic adhesive as well but if it were up to him he would not sell acrylic or silicone as they are dangerous. He said as a business they offer what their customers want, some people want acrylic some take the safer route of water-based.

Anyone getting angry and disagreeing with me ....I really urge you to call them and speak directly, if you don't believe me... believe the company that makes water based adhesives AND acrylic adhesives. He'll tell you acrylic adhesive are a big cause of concern... and he sells them. Why would he lie?

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Just got off with David the Chief Operating Officer for Pro Hair Labs the maker of ghost Bond. Again they are one of the greatest companies I've ever dealt with.

He said the reason they don't make a water-based tape is because it would flat-out would not work. When you peel back the tape and expose the adhesive it would still be wet and never dry/cure to the plastic substrate... the reason tapes work with acrylic based is because of the bad chemicals that are quick to evaporate off which allow it to cure to the plastic substrate and subsequently cure to your scalp on the other side
Exactly what I thought.

But this LaceFX says it's acrylic adhesive. What does acrylic mean? If it was acrylate polymer, it would say it.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

He said the reason they don't make a water-based tape is because it would flat-out would not work. When you peel back the tape and expose the adhesive it would still be wet and never dry/cure to the plastic substrate... the reason tapes work with acrylic based is because of the bad chemicals that are quick to evaporate off which allow it to cure to the plastic substrate and subsequently cure to your scalp on the other side.

Pro Hair Labs also sells acrylic Bond but he flat out told me people are foolish if they think it's safe there are many lawsuits out there and there will continue to be more....

He said they sell acrylic adhesive as well but if it were up to him he would not sell acrylic or silicone as they are dangerous. He said as a business they offer what their customers want, some people want acrylic some take the safer route of water-based.

Anyone getting angry and disagreeing with me ....I really urge you to call them and speak directly, if you don't believe me... believe the company that makes water based adhesives AND acrylic adhesives. He'll tell you acrylic adhesive are a big cause of concern... and he sells them. Why would he lie?

on point thanks man for going the extra mile ..

I will only use ghost bond from now, I can't see any option to buy it directly from there website? We have to buy it from amazon or ebay I guess

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.

But this LaceFX says it's acrylic adhesive. What does acrylic mean? If it was acrylate polymer, it would say it.

Yes, my whole rant on this whole adhesive post has been referring to acrylic bonds which are also clear bonds/solvent-based. Those are the ones with the most chemicals to worry about.

White bonds such as ghost Bond are tremendously safer...I haven't dived into researching their ingredients as much,but I would confidently say after talking to them many times it is probably 75-90% safer than an acrylic clear Bond.

The reason I was discussing tape as possibly safer than liquid is because it's not in liquid form, the solvent such as ethyl acetate has already evaporated .Tape is just a piece of plastic with liquid acrylic adhesive pre applied to both sides of it. It's the same chemicals and the same ingredients in say Walker ultra hold adhesive and Walker ultra hold tape.

I was content with using acrylic even though there's a lot of risks because it works best for me with oily skin. But all this back and forth I am starting to think to myself why am I being a knucklehead and using it. I think I may give ghost Bond Platinum another try and maybe use the antiperspirant on my scalp that prohair Labs offers as well.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
on point thanks man for going the extra mile ..

I will only use ghost bond from now, I can't see any option to buy it directly from there website? We have to buy it from amazon or ebay I guess
I wouldn't buy from Amazon or EBay as there are a lot of counterfeits. I would order it from hairdirect.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191113-175736_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-175736_Chrome.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 84

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.

Polymer and acrylic just means composed of synthetic plastics and resins.... its not a specific compound.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Polymer and acrylic just means composed of synthetic plastics and resins.... its not a specific compound.
The danger comes into play when we find out what those synthetic chemicals are.... one thing a lot of people fail to realize two is when two chemicals are mixed together very often they create a different chemical..... which can create its own set of dangerous.

Bleach and ammonia are very safe on their own you mix them together it's deadly.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
So Ghost Bond is the "safer" liquid alternative. Is there no similar alternative when it comes to tapes?
Yes, ghost bond is Absolutely the safest option as far as adhesive. Unfortunately there's nothing comprable in tape form. A lot of people do a full Bond on their head it's just going to take longer to clean up...... but definitely doable

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.

Lace FX is an acrylic solvent-based adhesive.

I've never used it, a prior poster asked for the MSDS sheet on it.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, ghost bond is Absolutely the safest option as far as adhesive. Unfortunately there's nothing comprable in tape form. A lot of people do a full Bond on their head it's just going to take longer to clean up...... but definitely doable

Bummer. My piece will come with a poly rim around the sides and back, front lace. So I have the front covered with Ghost Bond, but there may be no good options for the tape. Hope some tape users will chime in on this conversation and give me some advice. I'm already nervous enough about wearing, I wasn't anticipating this curve ball.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bummer. My piece will come with a poly rim around the sides and back, front lace. So I have the front covered with Ghost Bond, but there may be no good options for the tape. Hope some tape users will chime in on this conversation and give me some advice. I'm already nervous enough about wearing, I wasn't anticipating this curve ball.
Don't stress too hard. As much as I point the spotlight on the dangers of acrylic I personally been using acrylic tape and acrylic bond for a year

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't stress too hard. As much as I point the spotlight on the dangers of acrylic I personally been using acrylic tape and acrylic bond for a year

It's just a lot of unexpected issues for me to consider but I'm glad I found this thread, it's good to be knowledgeable on these things.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Absolutely, they are the largest hair system and product supplier in the world.

It appears the seller is HSS and fulfilled by amazon.
Seeing that there are counterfeits I would not play around and I would get it from the most reputable source which is hairdirect. The only way you can purchase directly from prohair Labs is if you are a cosmetologist or have a license.

I would also suggest ghost Bond Platinum as that is their best line.
This whole post has been about chemicals and safety. Don't lose it at the last minute, by risking buying a Chinese knock off that we have no idea of what's in it. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191114-004911_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20191114-004911_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Research is done to protect the masses, Public Safety. The percentage of people using hair systems in the United States is astronomically small and irrelevant in the grand scheme of disease.

With 325 million people in the United States and under 17% are men between the age of 30 and 60 .... what percentage of those are bald? What percentage of those bald ones are wearing Hair Systems?

A number like 325 million can easily be knocked down to about 5,000 realistically and that may be a stretch...

So that's my point. 5000 people in a country of 325 million is like a grain of sand in the Sahara.

No one is paying attention to such small groups.... and for the most part they are hidden groups at that.
So hair club only has 5000 clients??? Nice try

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry, but 5000 people in the country only have hair systems? Hair club alone would have way more then that. Not to mention salons, studios, and people doing it themselves. Oh, then factor in women wearing wigs. I would say millions.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Yes, my whole rant on this whole adhesive post has been referring to acrylic bonds which are also clear bonds/solvent-based. Those are the ones with the most chemicals to worry about.

White bonds such as ghost Bond are tremendously safer...I haven't dived into researching their ingredients as much,but I would confidently say after talking to them many times it is probably 75-90% safer than an acrylic clear Bond.

The reason I was discussing tape as possibly safer than liquid is because it's not in liquid form, the solvent such as ethyl acetate has already evaporated .Tape is just a piece of plastic with liquid acrylic adhesive pre applied to both sides of it. It's the same chemicals and the same ingredients in say Walker ultra hold adhesive and Walker ultra hold tape.

I was content with using acrylic even though there's a lot of risks because it works best for me with oily skin. But all this back and forth I am starting to think to myself why am I being a knucklehead and using it. I think I may give ghost Bond Platinum another try and maybe use the antiperspirant on my scalp that prohair Labs offers as well.
And you think this adhesive that tape has does not absorb? Why wouldn't it?

Another subject it the estrogenity of plastics. Do you know what plastic tapes use? Do you know what thin skin bases are made of? Are these the kind of plastics that leach xenoestrogens?

This is the reason why I've also excluded ultra thin skin base as an option, although a lace base with uts perimeter might be more comfortable to use.