Hair System Fitted And I'm Freaking Out!!

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Today I've had my system fitted. What should be an afternoon of talking selfies, throwing out all my hats and getting ready to go out tonight has turned into utter panic.

I'm asking questions to myself like have i done the right thing. Can you tell. I'm currently sat in starbucks trying to catch people looking at my system.

The guy who did it was so good. The colour match and quality is amazing. The thing is i feel about 8 feet tall. I feel like i have this huge thick thing on my head.

Tom Samson Hair of Kidderminster UK fitted it. The guy is a wearer himself. He told me not to worry. He gave great advice. I said i didn't think I'd made the right decision. He assured me I had and to let it settle. I asked him to cut it shorter but he said best not to, to keep it a little longer as it will settle down after a few washes, be less springy. After this i can go back and get it cut.

I keep looking up in Starbucks. Nobody seems to be staring.

I've been looking forward to today so much. I should be confident, showing off but i'm sat here £450 lighter think what the f*** have done.

Hope it settles. To be honest the feel of it is amazing. Doesn't evem feel like i have anything on my head. It's such a natural feeling.

The guy who did it has taken before and after photos so i will share them ehen they come through.

Thanks for reading.

Nobody is looking strangely at me yet.

Maybe it's ok or maybe I have made a mistake and I should embrace and accept baldness.

Ant70c

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this is exactly how I'm gonna be
I've had my system sat in my safe for few months now and can't bring myself to finally go for it even though I'm really down about the whole situation

Get some pics up

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here you go chaps
Screenshot_20171202-185824.png
20171202_190149.png
Screenshot_20171202-185947.png
20171202_221843.png

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jimbo, thanks for your honesty. How do i get rid of density??

Go to a barbers and get it thinned out?

Noah

Reaction score
You got the male model haircut too LOL. But it looks good. Before, with the thin grey hair you looked a little tired and middle-aged, but now you look rejuvenated and blokeish. I think you'll love it once you get used to it. It's not a stealth transition though - people are going to notice the change.

What does the hairline look like?

Last edited:

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah,

I just can't get used to it. Thank you though. The hair line isn't good. I got 20% grey in it to break it up but it looks like a huge wall if hair.

If you notice on the guys instagram there is nothing showing the hair line.

I'll post a pic shortly.

I think the problem is the guy who did it young himself so gives this type of haircut. Maybe I should of been more demanding in what I was asking for.

There is and old school barbers near me that do really nice fresh cuts. I really want to go in there and get them to take the weight out and cut it down by at least half. Not sure if I'm jumping the gun a bit.

Thanks for replying Noah

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not a great hairline. Taking the bulk out of the piece may help a bit, but it will not cure the hairline problem, because a good hairline needs to be graduated - to work up to full density gradually over the first inch or so of the front of the piece. Better quality pieces are made like that, but this one hasn't been. To correct that you would have to selectively pluck hairs out of the hairline area. Unless you are willing to have a go at that, this piece will probably not be suitable for an exposed hairline. But I still think it looks decent for a concealed hairline.

You should aim for a graduated hairline for your next unit (assuming you choose to persevere, which I think you should).

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah.

I'm not going to show the hair line. I'm going to keep it brushed forward and see if cutting shorter and using thinning scissors will help.

I'm also too short at the sides. Shaved grade one. I'm going to let that grow out to see if that helps.

I'm calming down a bit now. I'd rather walk around like this than how I was. It's just a huge learning experience. I had to start somewhere and I suppose you can only get it right through learning as you go.

I will stick with it.

Noah

Reaction score
Good for you, man. I honestly do think it's a very substantial improvement, but it's a strange feeling, and it will probably take you a week or two to stop being self-conscious about it. Please come back and let us know how you are getting on.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks good man. Not the hairline though, but I think it's ok. Make sure to get a custom next time.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Thanks for the honesty and positivity. I'm feeling better about it now.

I've changed the style so the fringe isn't exposed. I was advised by the salon to use a matt paste on it by bed head. This just made it look thicker and dry.

I have now opted for a high shine, high gloss finish wax by Toni & Guy. This gives it a wetlook and much more manageable.

The guy who fitted it has also given me support. He has advised not to cut it or thin it until it's been washed a few times as it will lie differently.

I'll be due a new one 6 to 8 months apparantly. Think this might be a bit generous but with in that time I will get the next one right.

I had to start somewhere and glad I did.

shookwun

Reaction score
if i were you I would return it, before you accept something you are not satisfied with.

Always go with a light density graduated system.

looks like an obvious wig. Once the sides, and back grow out... GG rekt

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Too late as it's on my head now.

I have just booked back in for it to be thinned out and cut shorter.

Thanks for the advice and honest opinions

Jack Beere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Tom
I have booked in with the same guy you are using, and your posts have worried me a little. I know another guy who used him and is over the moon with his. What is the crack with the hairline? Most systems I have seen, people wear the system brushed back and they look great, what is it that is showing on your hairline? I don’t understand.
Looks great in my opinion!

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jack.

Don't be worried. I am over reacting a little. I highly recommend Tom Samson.

It was just the shock at first of having it on my head. It wasn't my usual style and was very thick. Even though I asked for 20% grey in mine I'm very grey at the sides and had a grade one on this. This made the top look thicker.

I spoke to Tom a number of times since and he's very supportive.

I've since washed it and had a barber thin it out and it looks much more natural to me. You see I'm 38 and was walking around with a hair system that looked like I was 18 and could be in one direction!

That isn't a criticism of Tom Samson Hair, it's just my choice. I will use him again but will ask for a piece with less density next time.

The front line of my hair a little of the base is exposed and lifted, there is also a little adhesive there too. I have repaired this, just stuck back down and cleaned the adehsive off.

Honestly don't worry. It was just a shock at first. It's not just like wearing a hat. It's a lifestyle change.