Hair System Fitted And I'm Freaking Out!!

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
20171204_130628.jpg
Hi Ant.

Heres one. Let me know what you think.

Ant70c

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks good I’m nervous about getting mine done keep putting it off .. now booked appointment with salon so she can look at my system as I think it’s to dark
Has anyone said anything to you about yours ?
Any family feedback ?

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Ant.

Thank you. There is only my wife who knows that I've had it done. At first she said it was too thick.

Luckily she is a hair dresser so she thinned it out for me but wasn't confident in cutting it as one mistake and it's ruined.

I have been wearing a hat to work for the past 6 months. I'm not wearing one today. People have made comments about the fact I have hair. Nobody has stared or called me out fot wearing a wig.

I have also just been to one of these old school trendy barbers. I was asked to take a chair and i said no i wanted advice if they would cut my system. They was amazed and said you really can't tell. I am going to this barbers for mine cut. As i feel they guy who fitted it did a good job but not the best cut.

Now the colour. That is a big issue. On my consultation i was told I was a base 2 or 3 ot somewhere inbetween. I was shown the colours and one of them looked so dark i thought it looked liked an obvious wig. So i asked for the lighter one. I'm now having to colour my own hair to match the system as it's quite a bit out. Not majorly but I'd rather coulor my own hair than a system.

Cheers
Tom

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you.

Well just to update I have had it re cut. Length and thickness taken out and I couldn't be happier.

I'm now used to it and it did settle down alot after first wash.

To anyone thinking about it just get it done. It's one of the best things I've done. Might sound silly but it's changed me personally for the better

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just an update for anyone interested.

As per last update I have had my system cut and restyled slightly. I'm still a little concerned about showing my hair line. I'm also experimenting with different types of product.

I use a leave in conditioner spray every day and I'm currently using a high gloss wax. I feel this gives the hair a more natural look as opposed to a matt finish.

I'm also finding today that it feels like I'm wearing something. I've not washed it in 3 days so maybe that could be the issue.

I was only advised to wash it twice a week.

20171208_072041.jpg

Noah

Reaction score
That looks totally natural Tom; no one would look twice at it.

I think if you want a hairline which is completely comfortable to expose you will probably have to wait for your next system and get a lace base and a graduated front. Does your man do lace units? What about graduated fronts?

In the meantime you could probably get away with the kind of style I use - hair brushed forward and then flipped up with a bit of wax. The hairline is semi-exposed but always in the shade. It's a nice easy care solution.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah,

Thank you for your opinion. My guy only does skin as he says it's longer lasting and less to maintain. To be honest I think I will go with some one else next time and get lace.

I have never heard of a graduated front. I'm so new at this and just took the plunge. Just learning as I go and sharing my experience.

I will try your style and see how I look. Thanks so much for your honest opinion and advice.

Cheers
Tom

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty realistic looking, however not my style.
Still looks too dense compaired to the sides/back, but no obvious poly base showing at the hairline at least.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I also think it's too dense.

The fact i have a 0.5 to number 1 grade fade with dubbers has added to this.

But this is the style that is quite fashionable at the mo. I opted for very short at the sides as I didn't want the sides to outgrow the top quickly.

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of salons only use these stretchy plastic based stock pieces. I assume from the salon's point of view it is a package deal, including training, access to the inventory of stock units, and the glues etc. They are not bad, but you can do better if you are willing to educate yourself (which you already have to a considerable extent).

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only non stock part about my system was colour match and percentage of grey to be added.

Density was not discussed nor a template made.

For my next system I think I'm going to try the hair loss company. A video of a guy getting a system there went viral. At least on that consultation i can ask about density.

As for now I am so happy. Nobody has noticed my transition. This is mainly because I have been wearing a hat and to be honest if someone was to criticise my hair i'd rather them say that my hair is thick than them saying anything about being thin or balding.

Again I appreciate your honest opinions.

Jack Beere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi mate
Why does a lace system have a better hairline? I don’t understand how they are different? I thought a lace just meant it has holes on it for the head to breath?
How does I lace and a skin system differ in terms of how they look, fit, and attach?
The more I read the more I’m swinging towards lace. I also am going to the same guy Who only does skin.. surely he is able to fit a lace system though?

Thanks
That looks totally natural Tom; no one would look twice at it.

I think if you want a hairline which is completely comfortable to expose you will probably have to wait for your next system and get a lace base and a graduated front. Does your man do lace units? What about graduated fronts?

In the meantime you could probably get away with the kind of style I use - hair brushed forward and then flipped up with a bit of wax. The hairline is semi-exposed but always in the shade. It's a nice easy care solution.
ge

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jack.

Are you going to Tom Sampson in kidderminster then.

To be honest I had read about lace and read about skin. I was leaning to lace but Tom said that it's not as long lasting and has to be maintained every 2 weeks as opposed to 4 to 6 with skin.

I think you are doing the right thing, getting one fitted and going for skin.

Lace to me seems to be for more experienced people, as in people who fit them them selves and can maintain it when ever they like.

I highly recommend Tom, he's a great guy.

Getting skin fitted by a salon is a great starting point. It's very much a learn as you go exercise.

You won't regret it. The first few days are tough but you get used to it.

Jack Beere

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jack.

Are you going to Tom Sampson in kidderminster then.

To be honest I had read about lace and read about skin. I was leaning to lace but Tom said that it's not as long lasting and has to be maintained every 2 weeks as opposed to 4 to 6 with skin.

I think you are doing the right thing, getting one fitted and going for skin.

Lace to me seems to be for more experienced people, as in people who fit them them selves and can maintain it when ever they like.

I highly recommend Tom, he's a great guy.

Getting skin fitted by a salon is a great starting point. It's very much a learn as you go exercise.

You won't regret it. The first few days are tough but you get used to it.
Yes I’m
Going with Thomas Samson Kidderminster, he’s a good guy, but my worry is sport, and that having a skin system will be hard for my head to breath etc and that maybe I should have a lace. Iv ordered my one and is at the salon but I’m away currently so need to book in for fitting. Slightly worried now though whether I should have a lace..

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jack

The main advantage of lace over skin is that it is breathable and lets your sweat disperse. But in my view it also gives a better hairline. The two materials work in different ways. Skin is a translucent film which, when glued onto your skin, looks like your skin's surface. So people who see the base think they are seeing your scalp. But at the hairline there is always a straight line which is the front edge of the piece. Provided it is well glued down in most lightings you don't notice it, but occasionally if the light hits it the wrong way you can pick up the line, and if the base becomes unglued it can be quite visible.

The lace mesh works differently. It looks less like your skin, but it is so fine, and it's edge is diffused and indistinct, that your eye just focuses it out - visually it just merges with your hairs and the fine lines on your skin. When it comes to getting an undetectable hairline, the lace approach just seems to work better. I'm told that actors who wear a hairpiece on camera always wear a lace piece - never skin.

Tom Williams

My Regimen
Reaction score
All this information is perfect.

Next time I am going to go with lace. Not because I am unhappy with skin. Just to try so I can compare.

I agree about the hair line. I wear my hair straight across and up so the hair line isnt completely exposed. There is no way I could wear my hair slicked back, but you know the main thing, i have hair on my head. If all i have to worry about now is an slightly unatural hair line than i will take it. The alternative for me is wearing hats or using so much Toppik hair fibre that im scared to touch anything and frightened to death of it raining.

It is a learning curve. I'm happy, feel masculine, feel healthier for some reason and I'm confident.

We are looking at peoples hair because we are obsessed with it, we are giving our honest opinions, we are finding faults with hair systems, They aren't going to be 100% natural and perfect, they can't be because something fake is giving the illusion it is real.

zyzz959

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blows my mind you would start with a still great and salvageable head of hair like that, shave it off, and glue that thing to your head.

Does it look good? Definitely. But you'll find over time it's nothing like having real hair.

The problem with his before hair is probably that he can’t do much with it, someone could be totally bald get a hair system and look amazing so why can’t someone who doesn’t start with the hair they want it’s like saying only homeless people are allowed a Ferrari why would someone with a corsa need one when they have a working car