Hair system adverts - what they tell us about the advertiser

Noah

Reaction score
I came across this photo today, which is an advert from one of the very well-known on-line hair system suppliers. I suppose it is unfair to single any one supplier out, but tell me guys: does this not make you cringe? Even if you ignore the wall of hair and the picket fence of visible netting and glue along the front, could anyone seriously believe that a 35+ man would have a hairline that shape?

It got me to thinking: if the manufacturer thought that this photo would encourage us to buy this product, what must it think we are aiming for? This actually seems to me to indicate a disrespect for the customer - the assumption that we are so unsophisticated and so lacking in aesthetic judgement that we would be happy with an outcome like that. Somehow we need to educate these people that this is not good enough.

Needless to say, the photo was followed by about a dozen comments all saying what a lovely result it is, which is another phenomenon to ponder. Are the people who write these comments mentally retarded, or they just shills paid by the manufacturer? You be the judge.

IMG_4170.jpg

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks absolutely ridiculous.

Good pts. - Lord Hair frequently puts up pics/vids featuring equally ridiculous results

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
It's still one of the most fascinating things to me when I see stuff like this. Like I wonder am I in the minority of the people who understand what a head of natural hair and hairline looks like? It makes me cringe not just bc it looks bad, but because stuff like this on the internet will only continue to hold the negative stigma in place for hair systems. I'm also not afraid to say that Lordhair is one of the absolute worst when it comes to advertising photos and videos, especially on their YouTube account. They don't seem to understand the difference between good and bad density, or why if someone has recessed sides their hairline shouldn't be as low as it was when they were 14.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.07.18 AM.png

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What am I even looking at here? Why do people think this is remotely good?

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's still one of the most fascinating things to me when I see stuff like this. Like I wonder am I in the minority of the people who understand what a head of natural hair and hairline looks like? It makes me cringe not just bc it looks bad, but because stuff like this on the internet will only continue to hold the negative stigma in place for hair systems. I'm also not afraid to say that Lordhair is one of the absolute worst when it comes to advertising photos and videos, especially on their YouTube account. They don't seem to understand the difference between good and bad density, or why if someone has recessed sides their hairline shouldn't be as low as it was when they were 14.

View attachment 153551

TBH... I have seen lots of really BAD haircuts on guys when it's their natural hair... so this doesn't surprise me.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I came across this photo today, which is an advert from one of the very well-known on-line hair system suppliers. I suppose it is unfair to single any one supplier out, but tell me guys: does this not make you cringe? Even if you ignore the wall of hair and the picket fence of visible netting and glue along the front, could anyone seriously believe that a 35+ man would have a hairline that shape?

It got me to thinking: if the manufacturer thought that this photo would encourage us to buy this product, what must it think we are aiming for? This actually seems to me to indicate a disrespect for the customer - the assumption that we are so unsophisticated and so lacking in aesthetic judgement that we would be happy with an outcome like that. Somehow we need to educate these people that this is not good enough.

Needless to say, the photo was followed by about a dozen comments all saying what a lovely result it is, which is another phenomenon to ponder. Are the people who write these comments mentally retarded, or they just shills paid by the manufacturer? You be the judge.

View attachment 153526
OMFG... that hairline... it's... atrocious! What is that like... 0.12 mm poly? And is that white glue residue I see? Bad bad bad pic...

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
While we're still on the subject, can someone please tell me just what exactly Lavivid is thinking with these kinds of photos on their main page?

In a world where we are trying to destigmatize hair systems and get them into the mainstream as much as possible, what modern day straight man is going to log on to this site and see that and be sold? No offense WHATSOEVER to anyone who is gay, but, hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.12.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.11.50 AM.png

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
first pic, awful...picket fence hairline as Noah so well pointed out..as for 2nd pic, very dense, like intense... but his preference is not mine...as for lavivid, they may be trying to sell to younger men and sell the sexy image, ( like the blue shirt pole dancer guy ) In this day and age, nothing to do with sexual orientation... some guys want to look that way, or younger, and not our business to judge ... just like the 70 yo lady who has pink\fushia hair like, just like her poodle...to each his ( or her, or there) own, as long as the hair piece photo looks 'natural' and not wiggy...

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TBH... I have seen lots of really BAD haircuts on guys when it's their natural hair... so this doesn't surprise me.

I ain't a wearer but nowadays if I grow it out I end up looking like Carles Puigdemont hahaha. He seems to have the same hairstyle since he was a kid so I lean more towards thinking that it is his real hair.

15091352697162.jpg

I could prolly go for a similar, odd looking hairstyle like that guy on the system pic if I wanted to hide my recession at all costs and had no sense of fashion.

While we're still on the subject, can someone please tell me just what exactly Lavivid is thinking with these kinds of photos on their main page?

I saw the third pic and thought: ''Hey, that one looks awesome'', then realised that it was the before pic once I scrolled down... That guy doesn't even need a system, he looks good enough with that NW3.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the top row of photos, the guy in the green. Look at his before photo - if any of us on here had that much hair - would you cut it off? I wouldn't. Lavivid is just trying to make the sale - they are doing nothing to develop a market.

What I would love to see is guys in their 30's, 40's and 50's. Show the before and after in a way that people can envision they are the guys in the photo. We do this for a myriad of reasons and it often includes our careers. My hair system makes me look younger I think, and this, while it isn't what I would call the key to the Fountain of Youth - its the closest thing I've found. If I had the key to the fountain of youth, I would not be marketing it to the youth!

Looking at this ad, all I see are young guys trying a new look for a night out on the town. I'm not motivated to look further at this option.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
In the top row of photos, the guy in the green. Look at his before photo - if any of us on here had that much hair - would you cut it off? I wouldn't. Lavivid is just trying to make the sale - they are doing nothing to develop a market.

What I would love to see is guys in their 30's, 40's and 50's. Show the before and after in a way that people can envision they are the guys in the photo. We do this for a myriad of reasons and it often includes our careers. My hair system makes me look younger I think, and this, while it isn't what I would call the key to the Fountain of Youth - its the closest thing I've found. If I had the key to the fountain of youth, I would not be marketing it to the youth!

Looking at this ad, all I see are young guys trying a new look for a night out on the town. I'm not motivated to look further at this option.
Well yeah I guess that should have been in my point too. That these before and afters are almost pointless. We need to see real transitions in the sense that you look like crap bald and now with a system its night and day. The guy in the green before pic, I'd kill for that bio hair lol

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score

In a world where we are trying to destigmatize hair systems and get them into the mainstream as much as possible, what modern day straight man is going to log on to this site and see that and be sold? No offense WHATSOEVER to anyone who is gay, but, hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from.

View attachment 153684View attachment 153685
with respect, I think you are underestimating gay/metrosexual appeal in the modern world. I see stars of street rap and grime mincing about with Louis Vuitton clutch bags and furs and jewelry parading around Instagram like Liberace.

I mean consider just the NAME LaVivid... you cannot get any more homosexual than that name or logo. It sounds like a Drag Queen. It’s not even the masculine form LeVivid, La is feminine. And yet there are dozens of straight guys promoting the brand and aesthetic. I’m not trying to convince anyone and I don’t actually care for any of the looks shown here, but I see LaVivid only getting stronger and stronger in reach and popularity, so the marketing must be appealing to people out there.

Also, I know you say you no offence to gay people and I know you mean nothing by it, but what makes you think that companies are just wanting to target mainly straight men or that straight men are even ’mainstream’? Gone are the days of gays just being a tiny little embarrassing niche in the corner.

However there are plenty of tough guy ‘I’m not wearing a wig, it’s a system!’ hair system brands out there with masculine blue logos for you if it makes you uncomfortable!

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, I know you say you no offence to gay people and I know you mean nothing by it, but what makes you think that companies are just wanting to target mainly straight men or that straight men are even ’mainstream’? Gone are the days of gays just being a tiny little embarrassing niche in the corner.
Fair enough. I definitely get the reach with regards to the gay community, but I guess my point is that when the main photos on the main page of Lavivid does not have any ordinary joe before and after photos but instead has completely eccentric/out there looking guys doing duck face poses I don't see how that can help bring in some regular straight males to the hair system game, and lord knows the market for them is just as huge.

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I came across this photo today, which is an advert from one of the very well-known on-line hair system suppliers.

Aha! I've always assumed that would be the result if you cut into the CC hairline of a stock unit.

I must admit though, I'd far rather see companies using crap photos of their product as oppose to stock photos of models who aren't even wearing a system!

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Aha! I've always assumed that would be the result if you cut into the CC hairline of a stock unit.

I must admit though, I'd far rather see companies using crap photos of their product as oppose to stock photos of models who aren't even wearing a system!

You mean like these..... ? :eek:

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 1.45.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 1.45.36 PM.png

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 153684View attachment 153685

Yet you came off as being offensive...

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet you came off as being offensive...
Sorry if you feel that way but I stand by my statements, including the one where I truly meant zero offense. I suppose I could have just called the photos ridiculous and left out the gay comment, but I'm just trying to put everyone in the realistic shoes of the straight male who is looking at Lavivid.com and thinking of buying a hair system.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry if you feel that way but I stand by my statements, including the one where I truly meant zero offense. I suppose I could have just called the photos ridiculous and left out the gay comment, but I'm just trying to put everyone in the realistic shoes of the straight male who is looking at Lavivid.com and thinking of buying a hair system.
Saying you don't mean offense does not negate your offensive statement. The gay comment was unnecessary and offensive. OBVI Lavivd does just fine, it's YOU that has the problem.