Hair Multiplication Update:Histogen!

Ende

Reaction score
The first article is one month old. The last is one year old. Is it settled yet?

Ende

Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
Histogen Announces Completion of Series A Financing

SAN DIEGO, December 1, 2010 - Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing solutions based on the products of newborn cells grown under embryonic conditions, today announced the successful completion of its Series A financing at $10 million. Among other private investors, Secure Medical, Leonard Lavin, Lordship Ventures and Angus Mitchell brought the round to a close.

With its pilot clinical trial for hair regrowth completed, a skincare line launched, and exciting preclinical data in applications including oncology, Histogen has added significant value which was recognized by the Company's new and existing shareholders. In addition, Histogen has recently moved into a new facility that will allow for up-scaled manufacturing for its upcoming clinical trials, and later commercial production.

"With the Series A completed, we are excited to build on the momentum Histogen has created over the past two years, and further advance the Company's rich product portfolio," said Gail K. Naughton, Ph.D., CEO and Chairman of the Board for Histogen. "We have made significant strides in several important research areas, advanced partnership discussions, and are on track to reach key value inflection points in 2011."

This successful completion follows the announcement of initial Series A financing in May 2008. Simultaneously, Histogen opens its Series B financing, which has been approved up to $23 million. The Series B was opened by Angus Mitchell, and Histogen has already received further commitments toward that round.

The Company is scheduled to begin a Phase I/II clinical trial of its Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC) in Singapore in Spring 2011, and hopes to also begin a clinical study of its soluble human extracellular matrix (hECM) for the treatment of carcinomatosis, a rapidly progressing and debilitating cancer, mid-year.
Seems like it is...

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
Why does 85% number keep popping up. I've seen that number in other studies as as well, one in the Soy Isoflavone and Cayenne pepper study, the combination only worked for 85% of the patients. I wonder what is holding the other 15% back.

Ende

Reaction score
No treatments which are available- or under development today, are able to recover anything if the miniaturization process has gone too far.

bearbear

Reaction score
if i just started losing it and cant use finasteride, is it plausible to use minoxidil for the next 4-5 years and then used histogen to keep what i have? gah, h8 male pattern baldness.

harCyn

Reaction score
tonyj said:
Hmmm, It's been available in the U.S. since 2009. Dermaheal is a little cheaper at Amazon.com and Regrowth has a 15% discount coupon for the Dermaheal product. Since I have free shipping with Amazon, I might go for the shampoo.

The discount of 15% is a good example to get that deal. It's been a long time since they gave out their previous promo code. I also get free shipping when I have time to buy from Amazon.

tonyj

Established Member
Reaction score
While looking for Histogen info on Google Scholar, I found some interesting research done in Korea.

Preventable effect of L-threonate, an ascorbate metabolite, on androgen-driven balding via repression of dihydrotestosterone- induced dickkopf-1 expression in human hair dermal papilla cells

http://74.125.155.132/scholar?q=cac...r+OR+gene&hair loss=en&as_sdt=0,5&as_yhi=2011

In a previous study, we recently claimed that dihydrotestoster-
one (DHT)-inducible dickkopf-1 (DKK-1) expression is one of
the key factors involved in androgen-potentiated balding. We
also demonstrated that L-ascorbic acid 2-phosphate (Asc 2-P)
represses DHT-induced DKK-1 expression in cultured dermal
papilla cells (DPCs). Here, we investigated whether or not
L-threonate could attenuate DHT-induced DKK-1 expression.
We observed via RT-PCR analysis and enzyme-linked im-
munosorbent assay that DHT-induced DKK-1 expression was
attenuated in the presence of L-threonate. We also found that
DHT-induced activation of DKK-1 promoter activity was sig-
nificantly repressed by L-threonate. Moreover, a co-culture sys-
tem featuring outer root sheath (ORS) keratinocytes and DPCs
showed that DHT inhibited the growth of ORS cells, which
was then significantly reversed by L-threonate. Collectively,
these results indicate that L-threonate inhibited DKK-1 ex-
pression in DPCs and therefore is a good treatment for the pre-
vention of androgen-driven balding. [BMB reports 2010; 43
(10): 688-692]

Does anyone know where you can pick up some Magnesium L-Threonate?

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score
There is still no new information. The results from phase 1 were sketchy at best. They are still in litigation.... AND this is our best hope? coolness

WhyNot

Reaction score
^^ people around here are so damn negative. Of course there is no new information the trials weren't even set to start until February so what are you even expecting? No one is claiming this is a cure for male pattern baldness or that this is our best hope as you said, its just a possible advancement in treatment options. If this can even match what propecia does its a step forward.

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
Histogen Announces Completion of Series A Financing
SAN DIEGO, December 1, 2010 - Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing solutions based on the products of newborn cells grown under embryonic conditions, today announced the successful completion of its Series A financing at $10 million. Among other private investors, Secure Medical, Leonard Lavin, Lordship Ventures and Angus Mitchell brought the round to a close.
With its pilot clinical trial for hair regrowth completed, a skincare line launched, and exciting preclinical data in applications including oncology, Histogen has added significant value which was recognized by the Company's new and existing shareholders. In addition, Histogen has recently moved into a new facility that will allow for up-scaled manufacturing for its upcoming clinical trials, and later commercial production.
"With the Series A completed, we are excited to build on the momentum Histogen has created over the past two years, and further advance the Company's rich product portfolio," said Gail K. Naughton, Ph.D., CEO and Chairman of the Board for Histogen. "We have made significant strides in several important research areas, advanced partnership discussions, and are on track to reach key value inflection points in 2011."
This successful completion follows the announcement of initial Series A financing in May 2008. Simultaneously, Histogen opens its Series B financing, which has been approved up to $23 million. The Series B was opened by Angus Mitchell, and Histogen has already received further commitments toward that round.
The Company is scheduled to begin a Phase I/II clinical trial of its Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC) in Singapore in Spring 2011, and hopes to also begin a clinical study of its soluble human extracellular matrix (hECM) for the treatment of carcinomatosis, a rapidly progressing and debilitating cancer, mid-year.
About Histogen
Histogen, launched in 2007, seeks to redefine regenerative medicine by developing a series of high value products that do not contain embryonic stem cells or animal components. Through Histogen's proprietary bioreactors that mimic the embryonic environment, newborn cells are encouraged to naturally produce the vital proteins and growth factors from which the Company has developed its rich product portfolio. Histogen has two product families - a proprietary liquid complex of embryonic-like proteins and growth factors, and a human Extracellular Matrix (ECM) material, ExCeltrix.

The above is from Histogens website which I am sure we have all seen by now.
while not the greatest news it implies that they are getting investors and are still in the game. I am still hopeful for these guys but I don't think we will know anything sooner then May 2012. Fingers crossed.

wallace911

Reaction score
24+ months maintenance of regrown hair, no health risks and ability to regrow in bald places, that's pretty good news I'd say ... shame he can't say when it's going to be out, but this is the first time in two years I hear someone talk who really does sound enthusiastic and optimistic not because he needs some money or sell in an idea. They actually got something there.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the problem is that they didn't have a good evidence showing us growing new hair...there were some pictures there indeed but one was made when the hair already was a bit longer than the other one showing the baseline...you know what I mean...anyway I think they will be the first company that will bring a major change in hair loss treatment! finger crossed!

wallace911

Reaction score
I think many misinterpreted those pictures as they used different treatments on different parts of the scalp ... one area showed very positive results.

If at that stage the results had not been promising, Histogen would have stopped researching anyways, just like Intercitex ... why keep going if it is clearly not effective enough!?

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
After so many disappointing treatment developments in the last few years, I can safely say: Forget about histogen. Remember Intercytex? Remember Follica?

Don't you notice it's the same progress? Posting something about "70-85% increase in hair thickness bla". Then they raise some fundings, then they delay phase 2 99x times, and after a few years they will be forgotten.

One other thing: All those 3 companies FAILED to show us one single promising before/after picture. Those micro-diameters pictures of histogen are CRAP.

:(

Innermind

Established Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
After so many disappointing treatment developments in the last few years, I can safely say: Forget about histogen. Remember Intercytex? Remember Follica?

Don't you notice it's the same progress? Posting something about "70-85% increase in hair thickness bla". Then they raise some fundings, then they delay phase 2 99x times, and after a few years they will be forgotten.

One other thing: All those 3 companies FAILED to show us one single promising before/after picture. Those micro-diameters pictures of histogen are CRAP.

:(

Going to have to disagree with your point about intercytex and follica. Intercytex NEVER had pre clinical results this good, not even the
phase 2 results were as good as Histogen is claiming in their PRE CLINICAL trial. And the phase I /II by Histogen trial IS starting, there is no delay.

Follica hasn't gone anywhere yet in terms of human trails. They are keeping very quite about, so its hard to say if they have gotten anywere, but they still haven't done a clinical trail in humans as of my knowledge. To say "remember" follica, dosen't really make sense, they are still in pre pre clinical phase, just keeping very low key.

Although I do agree that the pictures are somewhat crap, it is only preclinical which is only suppose to show safety, not nessecarily that it works as they only use a small amound in a small area, and they still got amazing results(by numbers, the pics are bad). I say we wait untill we hear the end or at least mid term news/results about histogen's phase I/II trial. This trial will be on a larger area of scalp, so we will have a clearer indication of its potential to treat hair loss.

Ryuk

Reaction score
Dr Craig L. Ziering (Histogen’s principal clinical investigator) answered to some questions from users on the baldtruthtaIk forum back in February:

Q. Do you think a person who’s approaching a Norwood 5 or 6 can be helped with Histogen?

A. It has the potential to treat all stages of hairloss.
http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=25

Q. Will having a hair transplant now will interfere with having Histogen injections in the future?

A. No , having a transplant now will not prevent you from receiving HSC injections in the future. The great thing is that HSC works on the recipient area and has nothing to do with the donor at this time . This should give new hope to all those that have poor or no donor hair available.
http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=15

Q. Aside from Singapore I haven`t heard of any other countries in Asia taking part in the trials. Which, if any, other countries are going to take part in the trials? Thanks.

A. Right now Singapore but possibly Korea as well.
http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=16

Q. I got an email from gail naugton last month saying "We are starting phase 1/2 in Singapore before the end of May and hope to have phase 3 pan-Asian data by Sept 2012 for an NDA submission and 2013 approval. (hopefull Q2 2013)."

Is it possible that the NDA submissions could be shortened? Does it have to be 6-12 months long?

Is it possible to lobby the Singapore Health Authority to shorten it?

A. Sorry , but I dont see this time frame being shortened.
http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=27

Q. Are the new hairs from the HSC injections colored hair, for a person with greying hair?

For example if a person has white hair (ie anderson cooper) will the new grown hairs from HSC injections be white or black?

A. The hair would likely take on its original darker color.
http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=30

Q. 1. It has not become clear to me what exactly are the results 2 years after one single injection. I can see pictures on the Histogen website which show the hair growth after 12 weeks, 5 month and 12 month. As i can see in the statistics below the the pictures, after 12 month there is still new and thicker hair growing. Now after 2 years, is there still an increase in numbers of hair and hair thickness? I mean compared to the 1 year update, are there now more and thicker Hairs? Or were the 1 year results just lasting for one more year?

2. Will there be an update on the Histogen website which shows macrophotos and statistics regarding the 2 year results?

A. The Histogen study was originally a safety study with 12 mos follow up, with efficacy as a secondary endpoint. The Company was able to modify the clinical protocol to add a two year safety endpoint but couldn't perform the full efficacy study. Photos were taken of the treatment site which indicate persistence of hair at the treatment site but an accurate hair number and thickness assessment can not be done. The scientists at Histogen believe that the new hairs seen at 1 year are a result of stimulating stem cells in the scalp and in existing normal and miniaturizing follicles to grow new hairs. There is no reason to believe that additional hairs would be stimulated after one year with only one injection at baseline. That being said, the fact that new hairs continue to grow over the one year period is quite remarkable and unprecedented in the hair growth field.

Histogen is performing exploratory case studies in Asia where patients are receiving 50+ injections at base line to assess hair growth over time. The Company hopes to have initial results from the first case studies in the next four weeks and plans on sharing those with the hair transplant community.

http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=70

He also added:
I would like to comment on a few things .
1.HSC is not for sale now and if and when it is , it will have very specific and well substantiated proof for any claims that it makes.
2.I can only speak for myself but I would bet my peers have the same sentiment.
I welcome any product or technique that benefits people suffering from hairloss regardless of its origins.
3.I am in this field because I love it and I have dedicated over 20 years to the field and my patients and maintain that it is a blessing and a priveledge to do what my staff and I do.
4.I am becoming involved with a hair restoration practice in the UK ,and with the help of several of my colleagues we hope to raise the level of care,knowledge and skills in the UK and educate patients about all their options.
I like many of you just hope to have a positive impact on peoples lives.
Thank you for including me in this process.

http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showpost.p ... stcount=54

He did answer further questions that I haven't included in this post, to view them go here: http://www.baldtruthtaIk.com/showthread ... 366&page=7

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
I, like everyone else, hopes to God that Histogen works. But I'm not counting on it due to the fact that so many before them have already failed.

yep.. another white elephant.
until proven otherwise just call me Thomas

terrapin12

Established Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know what exactly the photo evidence is from? I'm assuming it's a micro shot of a section of the scalp and not the entire thing, but how close up is it? And is it only a micro dose of the full HSC to comply with proper pre-clinical testing standards?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmm i juat looked up ziering and i find it worrying that he seems to endorse a lot of snake oils on his website
like trichomin and lasers