H&w Topical Liposomal Finasteride Vs Oral Finasteride

hairmanic

Reaction score
Was recently prescribed this after being on finasteride 1.25mg for 3 years ( at best a slowdown of hair-loss) and was told that their new formula had no reported sides (personally didn't have sides on oral) as it stays locally and binds to the scalp. Also claimed that anecdotally there have been patients who responded very well to it compared to when they previously were on the tablet, and overall its just a better option. They showed me come pictures of patients on it, and the results looked very good. One patient who was a diffuse thinner (like myself) went from sparse frontal third coverage to almost full coverage, with little to no signs of thinning.

the article states that the topical finasteride reduces scalp DHT by 40% more than the oral in the 7-day period.

So my question to users of H&W's topical, have you had any success when switching to the topical?

I'll be keeping a personal record of my results in the coming months, but I'm conflicted as to either take them both at once and see if indeed the topical adds anything ( as I've already been on the tablet for 3 years) or completely stop using the oral and switch to topical.

Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not convinced by the study because other studies show that oral finasteride takes a while to build up and reduce DHT. This may explain the seven days' superiority of the topical.

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldn't a topical Finasteride absorb and address the issue much quicker than a pill?

hairmanic

Reaction score
I am not convinced by the study because other studies show that oral finasteride takes a while to build up and reduce DHT. This may explain the seven days' superiority of the topical.
Would you happen to have any links to those studies by any chance? Also are you talking about serum DHT or scalp DHT?

Reactions: Oro

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Was recently prescribed this after being on finasteride 1.25mg for 3 years ( at best a slowdown of hair-loss) and was told that their new formula had no reported sides (personally didn't have sides on oral) as it stays locally and binds to the scalp. Also claimed that anecdotally there have been patients who responded very well to it compared to when they previously were on the tablet, and overall its just a better option. They showed me come pictures of patients on it, and the results looked very good. One patient who was a diffuse thinner (like myself) went from sparse frontal third coverage to almost full coverage, with little to no signs of thinning.

the article states that the topical finasteride reduces scalp DHT by 40% more than the oral in the 7-day period.

So my question to users of H&W's topical, have you had any success when switching to the topical?

I'll be keeping a personal record of my results in the coming months, but I'm conflicted as to either take them both at once and see if indeed the topical adds anything ( as I've already been on the tablet for 3 years) or completely stop using the oral and switch to topical.
I've been interested in their topical for a while but they still haven't been able to sell it in America and its been like a year. I'm not entirely up to par on the whole science behind finasteride but I've heard a few people say it wouldn't work since it needs it to go systemic to have effects.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been interested in their topical for a while but they still haven't been able to sell it in America and its been like a year. I'm not entirely up to par on the whole science behind finasteride but I've heard a few people say it wouldn't work since it needs it to go systemic to have effects.

Debatable. We still don't know how much serum DHT contributes to baldness as opposed to scalp and intrafollicular DHT. It could be that only the latter two matter.

Alfatradiol works only topically at reducing DHT and is modestly effective, that shows that a local reduction in DHT (only in the scalp and dermal papilla) DOES work and can help against baldness.

supersaiyannorwood6+

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already checked this months ago, called the H&W representative person and the place thats making the topical. This will go systematic, if it didn't I would go back to Vancouver tomorrow. Unfortunately, it does.

Reactions: Oro

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
I already checked this months ago, called the H&W representative person and the place thats making the topical. This will go systematic, if it didn't I would go back to Vancouver tomorrow. Unfortunately, it does.
To be fair they never claimed it doesn't go systemic, only that its systemic at a far lower rate compared to oral.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
For what it is worth

I use topical spironolactone

I had side effects orally i did not have topical.

I am not saying its same finasteride and spironolactone just sharing my experience with a topical.

hairmanic

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is false, because I do recall Merk (guys behind finasteride) conducted studies using it in topical form and it worked just as well. I can find the link to that study if you are interested.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if topical finasteride works in women (I'm not having kids so makes no difference for birth defects)

hairmanic

Reaction score
To be fair they never claimed it doesn't go systemic, only that its systemic at a far lower rate compared to oral.
Yea there is still a small potential to go systemic but according to their studies and results from all of their patients they have not experienced any side effects.

Also want to add, H&W are in the process of patenting a topical dutasteride using the same liposomal formula used in the topical finasteride. Really hope that works out, as there are still many who don't respond well to finasteride.

Last edited:

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone clear this up for me?

finasteride works by preventing the conversion of Test into DHT, right? DHT is made in the body.

DHT is not made in the scalp, so how would applying it to the scalp where DHT is already present actually have a benefit?

I only have basic knowledge of the stuff, so topical seems a bit pointless to me. More of a snake oil.

br1

Reaction score

finasteride works by preventing the conversion of Test into DHT, right? DHT is made in the body.

DHT is not made in the scalp, so how would applying it to the scalp where DHT is already present actually have a benefit?

I only have basic knowledge of the stuff, so topical seems a bit pointless to me. More of a snake oil.

As far as I know, DHT is produced "locally" (i.e. in the prostate, in the scalp, in the skin)..

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Pasbrillantebrunette I emailed them and asked if women who are not having children can use this

Below is response..I did not ask 'how long' before conceiving since I am never having kids...But do you know if it even works in women finasteride? I know @samantha3333 was thinking about oral version. Just curious what you gals think.

Topical finasteride can be used by women who are not looking to conceive without a problem.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score

There are two sources of DHT, DHT in the blood serum and T->DHT which happens in the hair follicle in the DP cells. Finasteride can't really stop all the conversion in the follicle as would have to be in really high quantities to catch the T before it hits the androgen receptors.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score

But is the serum DHT? Serum DHT inhibition is what you ideally don't want.

hairmanic

Reaction score
To clear up any confusion, finasteride is a type 2 and type 3 5α-reductase inhibitor, which is the enzyme that converts Testosterone to DHT, and DHT is what causes the follicles to shrink. So applying it topically to the scalp is better because it prevents the conversion at the site of the problem (the scalp) whereas the oral finasteride is systematic and prevents the conversion throughout the body, hence the side effects.