Giving up on treating hairloss

Virginityrocks

Established Member
Reaction score
After 9 months of propecia-use, I am giving up. I have begun to come to terms with my genetic disorder and have accepted that I have lived all that I need to live with hair and can live out the rest of my life without issues surrounding hairloss. I am turning 27 in a few months, and feel my best years are behind me. I no longer go to the clubs, and I no longer care how women view me.

A big part of this decision has to do with my girlfriend. The past 3 weeks I have had severe sexual problems as a result of propecia, and it has had an effect on my relationship. I believe her happiness and my sexual enjoyment is more important than hair, and no longer see the time and expense put toward other treatments as worthwhile.

After a very emotional conversation, I asked if she really cared if I lost my hair, and she doesn't care. So why would I? Why would I treaten or inhibit my sexual ability, even mildly, threatening the strength of my relationship, because of my own insecurity?

I will miss my hair, and maybe one day they will have the technology to bring it back, but, by then, I will probably not care what I look like, and whatever superfluous expense for the privilege would rather be spent on less trivial things.

So, for the final time, I am signing off. Goodbye, and goodbye hair. The psychological distress you have given me is not worth whatever life I have left to live on this world.

g.i joey

Reaction score
^ this. just didnt wanna be the one to say it... if you do it for anyone, it should be for yourself, not for her because in the end she MIGHT not always be there and its sort of like she robbed you of your hair lol. but if you have sides you should be looking out for your overall health and not your hair.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well this is the risk you are taking:

You go bald, in 3 years time your girlfriend dumps you and now you are only 30 but look 45 because you are bald and your life is over. Then what?

This. If you have a hard time getting up, just take a v****, you still have sex and keep your hair. If she dumps you, it will be easier to find a replacement with hair.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
The responses so far are dispicable and sad. Sorry. I choose to believe that love is not superficial.

I know how you feel. I had terrible side effects from finasteride and minoxidil didn't do anything for me. It's not that we don't want to do anything about our hair loss, it's just that today's treatments are very limited and mediocre, and can come with terrible side effects.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe your girlfriend loves you now, maybe she loves you unconditionally and doesn't care. Maybe her attitude will change when you do go proper bald? You don't know. Maybe you will marry her, have kids, and long, happy life together.

Maybe you will have a fight, go through a rough patch, break up, then you're back on the market but at a serious disadvantage in the looks department.

The only thing certain about life is it's uncertainty. You don't know what the future holds, all you know is that without hair, you will be in a weaker position. Hedge your bets. Or don't, put all your eggs in her basket. It's your life, hope it works out for you. It may well...

Virginityrocks

Established Member
Reaction score
A fear of failure only breeds failure. I have many other features other than hair. Good skin, tall, blue eyes, big dick. Do I need hair too? Jesus.

Here is a photo of my current state...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vmK7nNkjE8SDdPNGJyWTh6a00/edit?usp=docslist_api

The finger is for the first couple of posters on this thread.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you only just start experiencing the sexual sides?
You don't think that's a bit peculiar, you haven't been looking at propecia help lol?

I think you made the right decision, you are among the few who are literally destined to be bald.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well this is the risk you are taking:

You go bald, in 3 years time your girlfriend dumps you and now you are only 30 but look 45 because you are bald and your life is over. Then what?

Yes!

Do what you want, for yourself, always. There are finasteride alternatives for those who get sides.

No one can predict how life will turn out, best to err on the side of caution.

Virginityrocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are a list of my symptoms, and you tell me if you think it's worth continuing the medication:

- Shedding
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Smaller penis, softer penis
- Less energy during sex
- Weight gain
- Breast growth
- Depression
- Anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Fatigue
- Unsatisfying orgasms
- Acne
- Acne around hairline
- Itchy scalp
- Increased rate of thinning/receding
- Generally reduced quality of life

Now tell me if you think this is really worth a bit of hair? Most girls I have talked to over the age of 25 find an insecurity about your hair is more unattractive than not having any. "Hair is nice", but living with hairloss with confidence is much more attractive than hair ever could be. I've decided to try some other topical treatments to extend the life of my hair, but I have accepted that I will ultimately be bald. The relief of this acceptance has already greatly increased the quality of my life, and reminds me that there is much more to life than getting laid and what other people think of you. So many men have psychological distress from hairloss, and they believe the solution is to stop hairloss, when in reality hairloss really cannot be stopped without some amount of sacrifice to your mental or physical health. The real solution to this problem is accepting who you are as a human being and finding other avenues to which you could improve yourself as a person.

To digress, and a question that is on the top of my mind, how much value to you put on yourself as a person if you truly believe that simply not having hair would have such a ramification on how people perceive you? Truly, do you objectify yourself so much? Do you live believing that no one would love you without hair? Which leads me to another question. If you believe that without hair your spouse would leave you for another man, would you really want to be with that person? And to the women that will not be with you because of your hair, do you really want to be with them? Would you see a future with them? I certainly wouldn't.

g.i joey

Reaction score
girls always pull the insecurity card imo.. bull****.. and no bro that is def not worth it, i myself suffered similar sides, less in the sex department and more in the overall mood, i was such a pussy on finasteride, after a couple days off it i have my morning wood back and also my manliness, me and my friend had a talk the other night and bro think about it man, your saving your hair while risking your well being, sex life, confidence for a bit of hair, this **** doesnt even give u a full head of it too! yeah hair is nice, but enjoying life ultimately is better. yes maybe balding may cause some insecurities, but theres no feeling like getting a broad into your bed and not being able to satisfy her.

Virginityrocks

Established Member
Reaction score
There truly is nothing more emasculating. And truly, and one thing I'd like to add, is that DHT is an absolutely invigorating stimulant to your entire body's well-being. The idea of suppressing even the smallest amount of it, as I now understand, the stupidest thing you could do to yourself as a man, and as a human being. You are more attractive as a person and as a man through the mental and physical benefits it has on you, than whatever superficial benefits it may (or may not) have. I would love to be one of the men whose hair is not affected by DHT, and can enjoy the benefits of the hormone without the detriments. But that person is not me, and I can accept that now. I am young, I am strong, and even if I were to look 45 by this time next year, I will feel 28, and I will act 28, and I will be 28. No amount of DHT is going to change that.

g.i joey

Reaction score
i was actually brainwashed to believe that these side effects were bs and that people online were just other competing hairloss companies or just sad people who had problems prior to finasteride. i am currently 1 week off finasteride after a month and ahalf of being on it. Though i know for a fact pfs is in a very tiny minority. Majority of people who take finasteride must definately feel the side effects that they brush off. (no morning wood, less energy, less aggressiveness) yes finasteride is safe. 3 days off of it my erections got so much thicker. My mind was clearer, i am now able to challenge people in debates as to when i was on finasteride, i was just so blunted. the best explanation of what finasteride does is it takes away everything that is alpha, and that is why imo i think some people dont notice sides. simply due to the fact that they arent alphas.

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your 27 and the pic you put up your hair looks good. You wont be bald anytime soon by looks of it so if you have bad sides then its understandable you want to discontinue with it all. I feel for those who get sides.

bluemoon1212

Established Member
Reaction score
Knowing I no longer have to worry about my hair falling out... Now, that's an invigorating stimulant. **** dht.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
After 9 months of propecia-use, I am giving up. I have begun to come to terms with my genetic disorder and have accepted that I have lived all that I need to live with hair and can live out the rest of my life without issues surrounding hairloss. I am turning 27 in a few months, and feel my best years are behind me. I no longer go to the clubs, and I no longer care how women view me.

A big part of this decision has to do with my girlfriend. The past 3 weeks I have had severe sexual problems as a result of propecia, and it has had an effect on my relationship. I believe her happiness and my sexual enjoyment is more important than hair, and no longer see the time and expense put toward other treatments as worthwhile.

After a very emotional conversation, I asked if she really cared if I lost my hair, and she doesn't care. So why would I? Why would I treaten or inhibit my sexual ability, even mildly, threatening the strength of my relationship, because of my own insecurity?

I will miss my hair, and maybe one day they will have the technology to bring it back, but, by then, I will probably not care what I look like, and whatever superfluous expense for the privilege would rather be spent on less trivial things.

So, for the final time, I am signing off. Goodbye, and goodbye hair. The psychological distress you have given me is not worth whatever life I have left to live on this world.

1) If finasteride is giving you the sides that you claim, then I would say yes, 100% get off the drug.

2) You have so much more life to live beyond 27. Your prime isn't even close to being over. I would say 27 is actually the time when you can truly start to live.

3) I am not trying to be disrespectful towards your girlfriend, but I wouldn't put much weight into what she is saying. You guys aren't even married yet. She could easily leave you tomorrow if she wanted to for absolutely the lamest reason including hair loss. It is like you saying that you would stay with her if she got fat. Sure you love her and might stay, but I think you would have a problem if she went from being 110lbs to being 200lbs. I know weight is something you can control, but for some reason hair loss is place in the same category as obesity. It is seen as "letting yourself go".

All I am saying is to look at the big picture when it comes to hair loss. Make your own decision when it comes to treating your hair loss.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You honestly think finasteride is DIRECTLY causing suicidal thoughts, depression, and anxiety? INDIRECTLY is more like it. Regardless, those are definite reasons to quit. If those feelings don't go away after you quit, then the fear of going bald might still be a direct reason of why you had those symptoms. And I agree with Notcool. You will always care about how you look with or without a girlfriend. And of course she is going to tell you it won't bother her as she does not want to sound shallow. However, the moment her girlfriends start teasing her about dating a guy who is losing his hair is the moment she will really care. And I am sure you would care if your girlfriend starting getting fat and letting herself go but you are never going to tell her that. Its so easy to say you don't care when deep down inside you do. Its human nature to care how you look. Its up to you how much time you spend thinking about it. I think you need to be honest with yourself and find the real reason why you have suicidal thoughts, anxiety and depression. I just don't think the main cause is finasteride. On bad hair days and when I obsess about possibly going bald, my anxiety and depression kicks in full force. If I don't dwell on it I am fine. All I have to do is see men older than me with great hair and the trigger is set. Then I have to talk myself down the ledge and tell myself its just hair and its not going to change my life that much more if I had their hair. I have to concentrate on my accomplishments in life instead.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
The responses so far are dispicable and sad. Sorry. I choose to believe that love is not superficial.

Don't be naive... and don't trust what women say so easily.

- - - Updated - - -

DHT is an absolutely invigorating stimulant to your entire body's well-being.

Yes, and also a stimulant for...prostate hyperplasia and cancer.
Come on, do you have scientific backup for this asertion?

- - - Updated - - -

Here are a list of my symptoms, and you tell me if you think it's worth continuing the medication:

- Shedding
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Smaller penis, softer penis
- Less energy during sex
- Weight gain
- Breast growth
- Depression
- Anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Fatigue
- Unsatisfying orgasms
- Acne
- Acne around hairline
- Itchy scalp
- Increased rate of thinning/receding
- Generally reduced quality of life

What? You pasted the sides list from the box, whithout even reading it, it seems.
If you have the one i bolded out, so your thinning is increased, why do you take it?

- - - Updated - - -

A fear of failure only breeds failure. I have many other features other than hair. Good skin, tall, blue eyes, big dick. Do I need hair too? Jesus.

Here is a photo of my current state...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-vmK7nNkjE8SDdPNGJyWTh6a00/edit?usp=docslist_api

The finger is for the first couple of posters on this thread.

LE: Saw your photo, are you kidding? You have practically no hairloss, so you surely have no idea how you would feel with a shiny scalp.