Getting married

HughJass

Reaction score
why are people still engaging in this antiquated practice? Isn't there enough evidence around to convince them that it's more than likely going to add to their problems? is this where Ali went? Is he getting married?

I wouldn't ever get married for the same reason I'd rather have a prepaid phone over a contract one.

Don't get married.

hopewas

Reaction score
yes it's just a piece of paper, but it's part of family structure,..the way it should be. america seems to follow your words..especially among the minority..look how good that's doing this country. everything we do in society has been brainwashed in our heads,...but it's how society works,..otherwise, it'd be chaos with no rules. but there's marriage because you eventually have a kid..and you can be a father and mother to it and raise the baby right. unlike nowadays when kids grow up with single parents and grow up becoming trash because they don't have a father,..and because of that, they find friends to turn to while the mother works..which leads them the wrong path most times. i wish i lived in the old days, when people still followed rules,..children were disciplined and did what their parents told them as a result. nowadays, you just see scum everywhere,..w****s, etc..things that wouldn't be tolerated back then. i'm married now,..yes, by the law, my wife is now entitled to half of what i got,..just because of that marriage certificate,..but i wouldn't have married her if i knew she wasn't the one..that's the problem with marriages nowadays. most women are w****s and will leave you after 1 or 2 arguments if they know they can find someone else..in the old days..you stuck with the marriage...for better or for worse. i hope no one takes this the wrong way, but i used to love america,..in my teens i moved to portugal, and all i thought was..i can't wait to move back to america,..i moved back and realized this place has become as shitty as any other place..too many people..the trash from other countries now live here...before the hard working from other countries would come here,..not anymore. that along with easily influenced kids by music, etc...kids becoming goths, bi because it's in, wiggers, ghetto bangers, etc....i don't know..i don't like meeting new people as much as i used to..now that i'm married, i have all i need at home..and that brings me back to family

CCS

Reaction score
getting married does not in any way benefit the person who makes more money. Marriage is not a statement of romance or love. It is just a financial contract that says your money is hers, and that if you divorce, you have to pay her half your income for the rest of her life. And it does not matter if she is the one who divorces you, or if she does stuff to make you need to divorce her.

And marriage also means she can spend your money while married. If she has access to your life savings, she can spend it all at once and it is not stealing and you can't sue her. Got seperate accounts? She can still apply for a huge credit card in the marriage name and run up a huge debt. If you got savings, they will approve of it. She can then divorce you and leave you with at leasat half of the debt, maybe more if you make more than her. The court will see it as a joint debt. I know men who've done this to women too.

It is a financial contract, and a dumb one at that. If you just want to tell your family that you love each other, do that. You don't need to sign a financial contract though.

And if you start refering to each other as husband and wife, and using each other's last name, then it is considered common law marriage, even though you never signed anything.

Instead of getting married, just draft up your own contracts to cover each others butts if one of you needs to stop working to raise kids.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
CCS, I have to admit that is the most intelligent thing that has come out of your brain. I totally agree with you. The only reason someone might get married is if they want kids. Otherwise why even bother unless you have a pre-nupt. For once you finally came up with a post that I sounds very sane to me. I thought I just had to post a response on this monumental day. I think there is hope for you yet.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its a token gesture but women have romantic fantasies and expect it.
I cant really understand why more guys dont wake up and realise - well like its already been mentioned even if you're not married if you live together or have kids you're still fucked financially when it ends.
The thing is I think that many young people are getting married knowing full well thatits likely that they will be getting divorced sooner or later.

Its the millionaires who get married that I dont understand. :shock:

PS Is CCS worried that his spot as no 1 in the post count chart is underthreat?

HughJass

Reaction score
I don't understand this premise of 'we want to announce it to the world' that people give when wanting to get married. It sounds pretty egotistical. The world doesn't really care if you get married or not, some of your friends might care for like a day or until all the cake and booze is gone, after that nobody really wants to keep hearing about your wedding day or your marriage. Sorry if that sounds harsh, just the way I see it.

Also, I believe marriage makes people dishonest and makes for a dishonest relationship. The upheavel and legal drama that accompanies divorce proceedings can make people reluctant to end a miserable relationship. Easier just to leave things as they are, regardless of the fact that it's become a chore to be around your partner. Staying unmarried means people can easily go their own ways when it goes tits up.

Cassin

Reaction score
Its not antiquated altho all too many people look at it the wrong way and don't see it as permanent. So many people get married for all the wrong reasons and don't take the time to truly get to know their future spouse. Besides...imo nobody truly has a f*****g clue who they are until they are past their 30's anyway. Above all else your future spouse has to be your best friend...someone you can talk about everything with....not just a best friend who you have fun with.

And the best wedding I ever went to took place in someones backyard with kegs of beer and was catered. The couple only spent about $1500 and used the rest for a great vacation & so they could better afford to get a home. Anyone who spends over $5000 on a wedding is out of their mind. If me and my gal ever get married I guarantee we're going to the Justice of the Peace to get it done.

Cassin

Reaction score
Don't worry JayBear...your time is coming. Trust me....big corporations that are impacted in ANY WAY are already preparing for it and have accepted it as "around the corner" Lots of corporations will be tripping over themselves to cater to gay couples and want to be seen as gay friendly before it becomes common law. They see hispanic & gay families as critical for growth.

Reaction score
Haha...most practices everywhere are "antiquated", there's really nothing new under the sun (not to be too "cliche")...I agree with what Cassin said, I don't think the main problem lies in the institution of marriage itself, but the fact that alot of people nowadays indubitably get married for the wrong reasons, such as proclaiming their love for each other to the world, which is what someone else was talking about......I think that such notions are very pretentious, I mean "cute :gay: ", but pretentious; my wife and I actually went to the Justice of the Peace to get married because our marriage is for us, and not to flaunt it in front of other people...it's an expression of our devotion to each other as individuals, for all of our flaws and strong points....

I think marriage can be beautiful; my parents have been married forever and they both supported each other throughout their respective collegiate endeavors and careers. My wife IS my best friend and I DO talk to her about mostly everything; she is cognizant of my insecurities (MY HAIR), my passions, idiosyncracies, etc, and we ALSO have fun all the time together. We are also honest to each other, she tells me when she doesn't want to hear about my hair (lol) and I tell her when she's annoying me....our marriage is by no means perfect, but I think that the negative outcomes of many marriages can be correlated to the overall moral decline of contemporary society in general...so to some extent, I can agree somewhat with the second dude that posted, I think it was the second dude.....I just didn't like that he used the terms "wigger" and "ghetto bangers", which to me was synonymous with different attitudes/lifestyles being associated with race and not socioeconomic status (some people endeavor to foolishly mimmick certain cultures/races due to the same ignorance that is oftentimes perpetuated by the media), which would be a generalization.....but I digress, and maybe I was looking into things too much :dunno:

Interesting....

Doug Douglas

Established Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
CCS, I have to admit that is the most intelligent thing that has come out of your brain. I totally agree with you.
Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking.

SolidGold

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
why are people still engaging in this antiquated practice? Isn't there enough evidence around to convince them that it's more than likely going to add to their problems? is this where Ali went? Is he getting married?

I wouldn't ever get married for the same reason I'd rather have a prepaid phone over a contract one.

Don't get married.

I agree, albeit with a not-so-minor caveat:

Don't get married if by marriage you mean a faith-based God-approved spiritual union of a man with a woman and you don't subscribe to any such notion of faith or God.

I don't see how marriage fits into the philosophical framework of atheists or agnostics either.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
with the rise of divorce marriage is becoming redundant

it used to be a man begging a woman to not leave him no matter how bald he gets and in return giving a woman compensation for her husband leaving her
but now woman divorvce her balding husband so it's useless

thinking about it if sex before marriage is a sin and marriage is just a financial contract to give a woman your money then that would mean that the only unsinful means of sex is prostitution

thinking about it though with expenses scandal, bank bailout with bonuses and marriage, fiscal justice died years ago