Funding Desmond to go to World Hair Congress 2014 in South Korea!

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
...you're living your life in your MIND creating a world of delusion...

Harassment, insults, teasing and silent rejection... those are not delusions. You're dead wrong.

...listen dude -- if you want to find a woman who will only be with you because you have hair,

Wrong. I never said that.

then you're gonna get what you're asking for...and for people who discriminate against bald people?? You want to SERVE them?? That's the way it appears -- you value THOSE people above all others....

I have respect for those people who have respect for me.

...if a person is a racist, I don't want them in my life...what's the difference with people who judge someone because they don't have hair?? They're racists, in a sense!!!

True.

...hate to break the news to you hellouser,, you won't be getting a hot chick no matter how much hair you have....sorry

BULLSH!T. I have never stated anything about how hot I want a girl to be. That's downright fvcking insulting too as you're flat out lying.

....there are LOT's of bald men who have attractive women on their arms...I, for one, want someone who will accept my hairloss, because there's more to a human life than fcking hair!!

Yeah and I feel that way too. Except you seem to forget that it's not a shocker for women to see baldness with disgust. If you weren't bald/balding would YOU go for a woman that was balding? Would you consider yourself shallow for not doing so?

Why do you have to be so sensationalist about the issue? You think people are out to ONLY go after 'hot' women? You don't really think everyone is an Elliot Rodger that craves only what the media brands as beautiful. This isn't about that. I don't care for '10/10' women. But I do want a NORMAL woman and women want a NORMAL man... baldness is NOT on their list.

...I've had hot girlfriends, in relationships built on shallow humanity --- I will NEVER go back to that again, EVER!! If you want that, then have fun living a life of hurt

Good for you, I don't care what you've had in relationships. You're free to have or not have whatever you like whether it is a woman based on looks alone or other. But I've already pointed out that youre way off base on this. 'Hot' women are not my priority. An IQ over 100 is my #1 priority.... but it doesnt matter because no matter the IQ, high or low, being bald is a detriment. You are NOT seen as desired either way for hot, average or even 'ugly' chicks. Don't make it seem as if only hot women reject baldness.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Don't make it seem as if only hot women reject baldness.

Your delusion is in you thinking THE WHOLE WORLD is racist against bald people....um, you know that isn't the case...just like there are people who are prejudiced against short people, or fat people, or whatever...the segment of society that is prejudiced against bald people is SMALL...you make it sound like it ISN'T...it's a small minority, yet you put soooooo much value into what this prejudiced, minority says or thinks...why you see such value in that is beyond me...

...your argument has no VALIDITY what-so-ever...your feelings of inadequacy are on YOU!!! Plain and simple....

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your delusion is in you thinking THE WHOLE WORLD is racist against bald people....um, you know that isn't the case...just like there are people who are prejudiced against short people, or fat people, or whatever...the segment of society that is prejudiced against bald people is SMALL...you make it sound like it ISN'T...it's a small minority, yet you put soooooo much value into what this prejudiced, minority says or thinks...why you see such value in that is beyond me...

...your argument has no VALIDITY what-so-ever...your feelings of inadequacy are on YOU!!! Plain and simple....

AGAIN, more sensationalist CRAP. Obviously not the whole world... there are some that will be tolerant, sympathetic and empathetic... but these people are outnumbered. The problem with you is that you give society way too much credit. You're ridiculously naive.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Another thread in the Research section derailed with whining and petty arguments over ideology and who is the bigger a**h**, who is right and who is wrong, etc. Is this kindergarten? Could you please keep that to the "Impact of Hair Loss" section?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Awesome. Another thread in the Research section derailed with whining and petty arguments over ideology and who is the bigger a**h**, who is right and who is wrong, etc. Is this kindergarten? Could you please keep that to the "Impact of Hair Loss" section?

fair enough...but at the end of the day, this is all pointless -- there is no end-game from this Research section that will give rise to cure for balding...It's like the clowns on sports-talk shows who talk about sports like it is soooooooo critical to the world, giving in-depth thought and analysis like it's rocket science...

....sorry....anyone who takes this that serious is delusional...a lot of delusion going on here...

I still don't know what hellouser is trying to say....not one clue --- that the MAJORITY of society is prejudiced against bald men??? Well, given that nearly 40% of all men are balding, or bald, you're even more delusional...to me it sounds like a lot of scapegoating for a guy who can't accept what life has dealt him...blame others for why you can't have what you want....

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here -

If you're bald, any woman dating you is making a compromise, even if she doesn't want to admit it.
-- FredTheBelgian

really?? You're quoting FredTheBelgian like he's Einstein or Buddha?? ...holy jeezus....

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
If only we has the cure, all of this could be forgotten and not be fighting. So tired of this disease consuming my life.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
really?? You're quoting FredTheBelgian like he's Einstein or Buddha?? ...holy jeezus....

I'm quoting him because he makes a logical point.. Sorry that offends you ?

- - - Updated - - -

If only we has the cure, all of this could be forgotten and not be fighting. So tired of this disease consuming my life.

I'm right there with you. Sometimes I want to go out and buy a sh1tload of lab equipment and try doing this sh1t myself.

So sick of watching my hair erode away while not being able to do anything about it.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
.to me it sounds like a lot of scapegoating for a guy who can't accept what life has dealt him...blame others for why you can't have what you want....

I agree with you. Some members here should stop this attitude towards non-balding people. People with good hair are not responsible that others don't have good hair, for god's sake. And mostly they don't give a **** about thinning/bald heads. This is just poorly directed frustration.
When i had thicker hair, i simply wouldn;t notice or make a big difference about bald people. I simply looked at their face when i talked to them, not at their head.

So please stop with "f*ck society", etc.
Some guys here have an immature approach of their hair problem. They refuse every single solution that works for maintaining(finasteride for example), or that can make their hair look times better(hair transplants), only hoping for a miraculous cure that would give them PERFECT hair. And they keep ranting about why scientists don't get the cure, constantly asking in how much time would it appear, like somebody would know, etc, etc.
I'm very very sorry but it is all wrong. This approach will only drive them crazy and consume their life.
So go and apply the existing solutions for better hair, and for god's sake, ACCEPT solutions which can "upgrade" the hair situation, stop craving for PERFECTION.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. Some members here should stop this attitude towards non-balding people. People with good hair are not responsible that others don't have good hair, for god's sake. And mostly they don't give a **** about thinning/bald heads. This is just poorly directed frustration.
When i had thicker hair, i simply wouldn;t notice or make a big difference about bald people. I simply looked at their face when i talked to them, not at their head.

So please stop with "f*ck society", etc.
Some guys here have an immature approach of their hair problem. They refuse every single solution that works for maintaining(finasteride for example), or that can make their hair look times better(hair transplants), only hoping for a miraculous cure that would give them PERFECT hair. And they keep ranting about why scientists don't get the cure, constantly asking in how much time would it appear, like somebody would know, etc, etc.
I'm very very sorry but it is all wrong. This approach will only drive them crazy and consume their life.
So go and apply the existing solutions for better hair, and for god's sake, ACCEPT solutions which can "upgrade" the hair situation, stop craving for PERFECTION.

Well I admit that I am more obsessed with this than most here are. One thing we have to remember is that we are all different and some will be able to get through with it, which is good. Then, however... are people like hellouser and me, who have this seen in our brain that want nothing less than all our hair back, not a little, not %60, but all. I don't know why but that is just the way I feel, I am sure it is something much deep seated in me but for now I can't change it.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I admit that I am more obsessed with this than most here are. One thing we have to remember is that we are all different and some will be able to get through with it, which is good. Then, however... are people like hellouser and me, who have this seen in our brain that want nothing less than all our hair back, not a little, not %60, but all. I don't know why but that is just the way I feel, I am sure it is something much deep seated in me but for now I can't change it.

I know, i used to be the same a couple of years ago, but i managed to pretty much accept i would never have the hair at 18 again. And as time flies, i feel more and more that i don't need that much hair to live a happy life.
Well, maybe it's easier for me because i was born with NW2, even 2 and something, so that was my hair to begin with. And when it grew out, my hair never looked good, it was very stubborn and difficult to style, despite being thick, it would point in all directions.
Maybe you and hellouser struggled with hair loss for a shorter time, yeah, everybody is like this in the beggining, wants perfect hair again, but you will get more realistic i think.
The only solution in my opinion is to stabilise the hair loss, with some regrowth, and try to do a good transplant or transplants. There is no other miracle solution for now and maybe for other 10-20 years.
Hoping for a miraculous cure in 5 years is pure naivety.
So is that dr Cotsarelis telling that with 20 million dollars he would turn NW6 into NW2.
There are plenty of rich bald people, they would raise that sum in 5 minutes if it was that simple for the cure to happen.
Hair multiplication is SF, if it would ever come, god knows what side-effects would it have. Artificially growing human cells of any kind may pose risks , i think, if smth goes wrong, they could start growing erratically and developing tumours.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fair enough...but at the end of the day, this is all pointless -- there is no end-game from this Research section that will give rise to cure for balding...It's like the clowns on sports-talk shows who talk about sports like it is soooooooo critical to the world, giving in-depth thought and analysis like it's rocket science...

....sorry....anyone who takes this that serious is delusional...a lot of delusion going on here...
"Everyone who doesn't have my opinion is delusional."

Given your age, you should have come to the conclusion that people's opinions are different and are to be respected. I, for example, want to discuss research. For one, because it helped me figure out why I got minoxidil side effects and to what degree I need to decrease my dose so as not to get them while still slowing down my hair loss significantly. And secondly, because my nature is curiosity and I like figuring out things.

If you think that is delusional that is perfectly fine. But that is just your opinion. Respect that other people want to discuss research, no matter if it is delusional in your opinion or not. The fact that you think research is not worth discussing does not give you the right to derail threads where other people want to discuss research because you think its pointless.

So is that dr Cotsarelis telling that with 20 million dollars he would turn NW6 into NW2.
There are plenty of rich bald people, they would raise that sum in 5 minutes if it was that simple for the cure to happen.
That is why I suggested a milestone-based approach, where the remaining 20 mln would only be raised if the 2 mln beforehand showed a viable proof of concept, as he claimed. And raising half of 2 mln is perfectly doable.

Hair multiplication is SF
Tell that to the researchers in Berlin who already did it.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Get a relevant degree and join a lab that works in the field instead.

I would dedicate my life to hair loss research but it's too late. It would take me 5-10 years just to get all the schooling done and be in a lab environment.

Researches are close to the end. Once they can culture dermal papilla cells, it "should" be game over.

I sent an email off to Dr. Xu to see where they're at in regards to their research.

“We have solved one major problem, the epithelial component of the hair follicle. We need to figure out a way to also make new dermal papillae cells, and no one has figured that part out yet.â€￾

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2014/01/xu/

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. they are close, but who knows that artificially created in a lab cells can't suffer DNA alterings and become cancerous??
I think it is a risk.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Growing fully functional follicles in vitro and then implanting them into the scalp is about as safe as it gets.

It's a lot safer than taking any medication for that matter, which would make this "treatment" the safest and most effective option there is.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score

It's not as simple and black and white as you explain above. While we are not being chased with torches and pitchforks, as bald men we notice a large demographic of people who actively treat us as second class citizens. People can be petty, superficial and just plain rude and bald guys know this pretty well. How would you react if almost half the people you came in contact with hated you and made no attempt to cover their prejudice against you whatsoever? We just want to be treated with respect, like honest to goodness human beings. What is so wrong with that?!

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Growing fully functional follicles in vitro and then implanting them into the scalp is about as safe as it gets.

How can you be that sure? About a procedure i think has never been done in practice?
HAs someone implanted hairs grown in vitro to a human scalp and waited some years to see there aren't problems?
As i know there are major safety concerns about the risk of tumours. This assuming they can really create hairs in vitro, which still sound very SF to me.
I assume yu wouldn't like to get a full head of hair and then die of cancers some years later.
Nobody knows what could happen in long term.
So if you have strong arguments that the procedure is very safe, i would be interested.

You can't make new follicles from scratch, in order to form a new hair follcile, you must take one from the scalp, and them, through some SF method, make the cells divide and create another follcles. Well, if when they divide, smth goes wrong, and the DNA gets "corrupted", the distance to cancer is very short. And imagine how many ceelular divisions would have to take place if you take 1 follicle and want to create thousands from it, and this, outside the body, so the division is not controlled in any way by the immune system, and error in DNA reproductions may remain.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not as simple and black and white as you explain above. While we are not being chased with torches and pitchforks, as bald men we notice a large demographic of people who actively treat us as second class citizens. People can be petty, superficial and just plain rude and bald guys know this pretty well. How would you react if almost half the people you came in contact with hated you and made no attempt to cover their prejudice against you whatsoever? We just want to be treated with respect, like honest to goodness human beings. What is so wrong with that?!

Hmm, quite strange, i assume in different countries there are different attitudes towards bald people.
In my country for example, nobody gives a damn if someone elese is bald.
Respect? I even think bald people are more respected than Nw0 3 cm forehead "monkeys". Really! Nobody has a problem respecting bald citizens, as long as they ar worth respect, if you are bald and a jerk, nobody would respect you.
Here people are respected for their character, for what they are, not for the quantity of hair on their heads.
People know baldness is genetic and someone who is bald simply inherited some genes, it is not his choice to be without hair, what's that hard??

So if you're bald there is no problem someone would not respect you as a human being, or in your profession.
Aaa, maybe being bald you can't have acces to the hottest girls/women, but, to be sincere, i see everyday multiple examples of bald guys with attractive females. They may lack hair, but surely they have other qualities.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
So if you have strong arguments that the procedure is very safe, i would be interested.

A good example is RepliCel. They use DSC cells, replicate them into the thousands and inject them back into the scalp. They soared through safety trials with no issues.

Although I can't guarantee the safety of anything (no one can) I think we can all agree that this treatment will be safer than taking any medication.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
A good example is RepliCel. They use DSC cells, replicate them into the thousands and inject them back into the scalp. They soared through safety trials with no issues.

Although I can't guarantee the safety of anything (no one can) I think we can all agree that this treatment will be safer than taking any medication.

Stem cell therapy is ridiculously safe. Nobody has qualms about ingesting pills (finasteride) and people still dont know what the long term risks are with chemicals, but they're completely opposed to using YOUR OWN cells for organ regeneration. It's bizarre. Nevermind that stem cell therapy has long since been commercial anyway, starting with Carticel.

Stinkysmurf on Bald Truth Talk pointed out some details about Carticel:

StinkySmurf said:
If you want to speculate about the cost, we have two good data points.

The first FDA approved cell therapy was Carticel, now owned by Genzyme, which repairs knee cartilage. The initial price for the cell culturing was $20,000 plus any markup by the surgeon, with a total cost including the procedure of almost $40,000. It's been on the market for a while so the cell culturing price has come down to $10,000 now.

The most recently approved cell therapy was laViv by Fibrocell Science which removes wrinkles. The cell culturing price is around $2000 with injections costing $700 to $1000 each for a total cost with procedure of between $4000 and $6000, but keep in mind that Fibrocell Science hasn't shown a profit at this price point, and they compete against an entrenched injectable market that most likely lowers the price of laViv.