Fue To Fix Bald Spot Or Use Concealer?

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had my first FUE with 3000 grafts primarily to the front and my hairline. The Doctor only put a few in my vertex/ crown bald spot area in the back of my head. I don’t have lots of money and the first one I was hoping to be one and done. I’m 43, the first surgery was done October 2017 so I’m about 6/12 months in and the front hairline and top looks pretty good still waiting on density and rest of grafts to come in when I hit 12 months. I use toppik to fill in the bald spot in the back of my head to have the appearance of a full head of hair. I was wondering what most guys do? I went from Norwood 6 to having my hairline back and top of my head back and I’m super happy about that, but that bald spot bothers me and I don’t have the money to do another procedure but it bugs the crap outta me being wide open back there. Do most of you guys leave the bald spot/vertex alone? I’m on propecia since day of surgery and will incorporate minoxidil after seeing what propecia alone can do. Please I’d appreciate any advice and want to hear what you guys did.

Attachments

• D5E97128-970A-4715-9943-822E7E18DE2B.jpeg
    D5E97128-970A-4715-9943-822E7E18DE2B.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 663
  • D5D01687-352F-4F30-A988-18E7FE34FBAB.jpeg
    D5D01687-352F-4F30-A988-18E7FE34FBAB.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 612
  • C57180AC-C6FA-4838-AEB0-1CE5E4302DBC.jpeg
    C57180AC-C6FA-4838-AEB0-1CE5E4302DBC.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 608
  • 2ADA3012-3921-4B45-AE2C-A9E4E7D495CA.jpeg
    2ADA3012-3921-4B45-AE2C-A9E4E7D495CA.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 718

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had my first FUE with 3000 grafts primarily to the front and my hairline. The Doctor only put a few in my vertex/ crown bald spot area in the back of my head. I don’t have lots of money and the first one I was hoping to be one and done. I’m 43, the first surgery was done October 2017 so I’m about 6/12 months in and the front hairline and top looks pretty good still waiting on density and rest of grafts to come in when I hit 12 months. I use toppik to fill in the bald spot in the back of my head to have the appearance of a full head of hair. I was wondering what most guys do? I went from Norwood 6 to having my hairline back and top of my head back and I’m super happy about that, but that bald spot bothers me and I don’t have the money to do another procedure but it bugs the crap outta me being wide open back there. Do most of you guys leave the bald spot/vertex alone? I’m on propecia since day of surgery and will incorporate minoxidil after seeing what propecia alone can do. Please I’d appreciate any advice and want to hear what you guys did.
You need a transplant.

Toppik wouldn't look good on that bald spot and I'm saying that as a big fan of toppik.

Toppik only looks decent on thinning areas - not bald areas/

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you my brother I appreciate the feedback, Do you know if most guys get a second procedure to fill just a bald spot after they got their hairline in front area covered?

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you my brother I appreciate the feedback, Do you know if most guys get a second procedure to fill just a bald spot after they got their hairline in front area covered?
Tons of men get two hair transplants.

I would highly recommend it if you have the money for it.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another transplant for you would do the trick. You wont be able to get any regrowth with finasteride & minoxidil on a bald crown as its the hardest part of the scalp to regain hair. I should know been trying for 10 years.

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
I still have pretty good donor area but the problem is I’m broke and it took all I had in order to get a loan to get my first Fue in October to fix front and hairline. Unfortunately I’m gonna have to keep painting it with dermatch or continue the toppik use which actually looks ok because I have a lot of vellus hair there which seems to work having the toppik latch on undetected. Just worry when it rains. I’m gonna have to be one of those guys who look great but have a bald spot in the back lol. Wish I could afford another one.

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s an idea of what I have left after my 3000 grafts fue procedure. As you can see in the pics it looks pretty good and undetectable but I’m not sure how much I have left and worry it won’t be patchy or over harvested.

Attachments

• B766A62B-233F-4174-A56C-AC59C2B173D3.jpeg
    B766A62B-233F-4174-A56C-AC59C2B173D3.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,393
  • 0F403E93-2080-4481-837C-DBCD59387FE3.jpeg
    0F403E93-2080-4481-837C-DBCD59387FE3.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 599

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess I could just keep using toppik or dermatch but gotta admit feel bummed since the front and hairline looks so good now but feels incomplete with that bald spot and my first surgery set me back a loan for $12,500 and I’m a broke father of twin babies and my wife doesn’t work. I’m torn....

Susanoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a waiting game, so you might as well try and not drag yourself too far down about something you cant have an immediate fix and impact on. Be happy with the new change from the first surgery.

My baldness isn't cured either but I felt and still have a huge relief after my hairline was restored from my first transplant.

Hopefully your seen results from the finasteride and have stopped any further hair loss. The less potential grafts you'll need for round 2, the better.

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a waiting game, so you might as well try and not drag yourself too far down about something you cant have an immediate fix and impact on. Be happy with the new change from the first surgery.

My baldness isn't cured either but I felt and still have a huge relief after my hairline was restored from my first transplant.

Hopefully your seen results from the finasteride and have stopped any further hair loss. The less potential grafts you'll need for round 2, the better.
Thank you so much for your advice I don’t want to start sounding greedy I totally am super happy and stoked about having a hairline again and Having hair in the front, I will keep using and sealer for the bald spot giving me the appearance of a full head of hair and see how things go with another year maybe finasteride or minoxidil could close the gap of the circle of my bald spot and I might be able to live with that

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will definitely wait till the final 12 months of my procedure since I am about 7 months in and finally being able to enjoy the new hairline and frontal hairs. I was so happy I could finally stop using toppik in the front and actually style my hair with a paste to get a spiky messy look. I have to admit it does feel incomplete with the bald spot and with the concealer it looks like a full head of hair. How many of you guys just had 1 FUE procedure and decided not to cover the bald spot with a second surgery? I am just curious, because in reality I probably cant afford another one due to me being the only provider for my family of 5 with newborn baby twins. Sorry for the venting just curious about guys in similar situations.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have commented on another post you made. Not trying to sound weird here but I can sort of make out what you look like form your pictures. Probably in the 200lb weight range also and decently fit. I know people that look like you and the fact you have a balding crown doesn't look bad on you. Some people suit balding better than others... If another transplant isn't in the cards for you I would simply just enjoy having what you have now...

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Hova82 I appreciate the input, that’s pretty good to guess my stature from those pics lol. I am about 205lbs, 5’11 and in pretty good shape as my hobby is weightlifting. I used to shave my head and looked good that way but I always wanted my hair back and I’m happy now having my hairline back and front hair back. I probably will just keep what I got and save my donor area from being over harvested. I just had the wrong impression that I could have a Fue procedure and have my hair back. It’s probably not worth the money to just fix the bald spot since my finances aren’t great and I already dropped $12,500 for my first procedure.

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any post op pics and current pics to see where your at? No prob if you don’t want to post any but I appreciate your kind comments and hope your journey gets you where you want to be and feel better as well.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any post op pics and current pics to see where your at? No prob if you don’t want to post any but I appreciate your kind comments and hope your journey gets you where you want to be and feel better as well.

Sure. Here is 2 pics of me pre-op with longer hair. Two pics on Day 2 with it being red and then One pic on Day 9...

I had 2,630 FUE grafts done. I spent about what you did in Canadian dollars. I had some grafts split and my temples done as well.

Attachments

• Front 2.png
    Front 2.png
    505.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 369
  • Day 2 Whiteout.png
    Day 2 Whiteout.png
    844.3 KB · Views: 423
  • Day 2 Top.jpg
    Day 2 Top.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 431
  • Day 9 Top.jpg
    Day 9 Top.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow looks good bro, your gonna have good coverage no more bald spot and nicer hairline. I’m happy for you. You looked good even prior to the surgery to be honest, I was a Norwood 6 full bald so I couldn’t get the coverage in the bald spot had to make hairline and front.

hova82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks... I shaved my head for years and then grew it back out. I have been on Finasteride for 5 years and Minoxidil for 1. I will be going back on Minoxidil 5% in a week or so after being off for a few weeks due to the surgery. I do hope for good results overall and I went to a great Doctor who is well known. I had very high expectation when I started this process. After seeing all the Turkey 5,000 FUE transplants where someone goes in bald and comes out with a full head of hair (so I thought) I felt I should have that too! I also learned there are limitations to a healthy hair transplant and not destroying the donor area and being systematic to the approach of it all. I learned about density and how a hairline is much more that drawing a line across the forehead and implanting hair. Many men seem to get 1,2,3+ transplants because they have a good doctor and went step by step. I look forward to 12 months from now but I also look forward to a day when I simply don't care as much about this sort of thing anymore.

Darthpocho

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah bro it’s gonna be good, I thought I did enough research but not nearly enough, they pulled the maximum 3000 grafts for my session and told me they were gonna focus on the front and hairline and that the bald spot isn’t that important but it’s bothering me a lot having that spot! I thought spending almost $13000 would give me all my hair back but now I realize the reality of the process and I may not be able to afford another one so I’m bummed out and trying to just enjoy the new hair I got. Just feels incomplete having that bald spot . I’ll just use toppik like I’ve been doing. Maybe someday I’ll have enough money to fix it.

Thanks... I shaved my head for years and then grew it back out. I have been on Finasteride for 5 years and Minoxidil for 1. I will be going back on Minoxidil 5% in a week or so after being off for a few weeks due to the surgery. I do hope for good results overall and I went to a great Doctor who is well known. I had very high expectation when I started this process. After seeing all the Turkey 5,000 FUE transplants where someone goes in bald and comes out with a full head of hair (so I thought) I felt I should have that too! I also learned there are limitations to a healthy hair transplant and not destroying the donor area and being systematic to the approach of it all. I learned about density and how a hairline is much more that drawing a line across the forehead and implanting hair. Many men seem to get 1,2,3+ transplants because they have a good doctor and went step by step. I look forward to 12 months from now but I also look forward to a day when I simply don't care as much about this sort of thing anymore.

InCider

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought spending almost $13000 would give me all my hair back but now I realize the reality of the process and I may not be able to afford another one so I’m bummed out and trying to just enjoy the new hair I got. Just feels incomplete having that bald spot . I’ll just use toppik like I’ve been doing. Maybe someday I’ll have enough money to fix it.

You can get your crown and vertex filled-in if you go for a combination transplant (scalp + beard hair) to extend the donor supply.
There was a good recent example (on another forum) where a guy (similar situation to yourself) had a combination procedure at Dr Cinik in Turkey, and had a very impressive result for a rock bottom price (only Eur 2,000 for 3000 grafts). I think it would be a good solution if you're serious about getting the work done on a limited budget.