From nice to sh*t to nice again

jvantin1

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain how hair can look great for days or weeks at a time, and then just go limp and awful all of a sudden?

This has happened before, but I never thought to ask. But it really is exasperating. Right now, mine looks pretty good. I just got my period, and I've heard that shedding intensifies at that time of the month.

A week or so ago I was losing 25 to 30 in the shower. It also looked thinner (or was it actually thinner?). Now, the shedding is down to less than 10 in the shower.

To further complicate matters, I just started using the Folligen spray, which I like a lot more than the lotion because it's easier to use. So I don't know whether these good hair days are due to the copper peptides, my own fluctuating hormones, pure chance, or all of the above.

Anyway--anyone notice this schizophrenic tendency in their own hair?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair has a mind of this own...never know what kinda mood she's in. But I notice my hair TELLS me when I need a haircut or perm. :twisted: I wake up one day, and it's flat and yucky and stubborn.
They do call them bad hair days...
I did read on some site that hair has its own cycles, I just don't remember where or any details...hair loss has affected my memory :laugh:

Seriously , it's probably all of the above, but I'm sure Folligen has something to do with it. I remember when I first started using Folligen: my shedding did taper off and finally stop. I was really estatic :rockon:
[until the atkins Telogen Effluvium, that is and the folligen hasn't stopped it, maybe without Folligen it whould have been much worse :freaked2: ]

Better days are coming...

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this too... and then realized, hey we all used to have occasional bad hair days, right? Except when your hair is really crappy, they happen more often and are harder to deal with. They are the bain of my exsistance now. The scale used to dictate my moods... now the number of hairs I lose and how it looks for the day does. Which is lousey.

Julie

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that I don't care what the scale says! That's been a lifelong battle too. If I had to choose between being hairless or fat, I would take fat.. It's more socially acceptable!! But, what gets me is this is the most successful I've been at weight loss in YEARS (I'm 12 mo postpartum, and nearly 20 lbs less than before getting pregnant), and I don't enjoy it because this stupid hairloss has been a dark cloud over everything. It sucks the joy out of so much.

On good days, I tell myself, it's only hair. I could be sick, have some dread disease, my children could be sick, etc.... but I have a great family who are all healthy and well. I don't have any other big problems in life, except this hairloss. So, it could be worse.

But, then again, if my hair would stop falling out, it could be better too! :lol:

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
SadMom said:
Not that I don't care what the scale says! That's been a lifelong battle too. If I had to choose between being hairless or fat, I would take fat.. It's more socially acceptable!! But, what gets me is this is the most successful I've been at weight loss in YEARS (I'm 12 mo postpartum, and nearly 20 lbs less than before getting pregnant), and I don't enjoy it because this stupid hairloss has been a dark cloud over everything. It sucks the joy out of so much.
Congrads on your weight :rockon:
I don't know...fat is UNhealthy and gross. Hairloss, well, if it got REALLY, ReALLY bad, I'd cut it short like the guys, buy a good wig or two. What the hell? :hairy: Me and my man wiould know, think how easy it would be to shower and wash your hair every day? Not that this is my heart's desire, but...if it happens.

SadMom said:
On good days, I tell myself, it's only hair. I could be sick, have some dread disease, my children could be sick, etc.... but I have a great family who are all healthy and well. I don't have any other big problems in life, except this hairloss. So, it could be worse.

But, then again, if my hair would stop falling out, it could be better too! :lol:
Amen to that, we count our blessings ....but wish this would resolve itself. :) :roll: :)

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
my hair has a mind of its own....the interesting thing is that while I have been dealing with hairloss for two years now....I've also had to buy that hair mud because my short flyaways have increased. No...this isn't regrowth, its like my hair split one inch above my head. AHhhh.. I don't get it. I've lost sooo much hair....somedays I wonder how many women actually regrow their hair once the source has been recognized. I hope its more than I'm thinking right now. Sorry guys....down day.....lots of hair lost today.... :cry:

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
flyaways

I have tons of short pieces too... and hoped they were regrowth.. How do you know if it is or not? How do you know yours are just broken hairs? I would like to think the best here, but have been skeptical. Besides, it's not like there's nearly as many there as I've lost!

vanessa

Reaction score
I know how you guys feel. I am 27 and I look at my pictures from two years ago and I get so sad because I used to have such great healthy hair. My fiance is supportive, but he is getting overwhealmed by my level of obsession. I cut my hair really short so I wouldnt have to deal with it. I think I could accept the loss of my hair if would just stop shedding. I have been using Tricomin for about a month now and I have not noticed a change. I think I am still shedding as much hair as before. I have resorted to Rogaine just so I can have some form of hair to put up for my wedding.

I also have these small hairs all over my head, which I dont thinkis new hair growing. Could this be the effects of DHT on hair?

jvantin1

Reaction score
I'm sensing a pattern here: we're all obsessed, our partners are all fed up with the obsession. Oddly, though, I haven't heard anyone say that their PARTNERS were freaked out by our hair loss.

I know that my fiancee doesn't ever comment about my hair--he never seems apprehensive that he'll end up with a bald chick. But boy, does he hate it when I freak out about it.

Does this mean they don't CARE that we're losing our hair? I mean, would they all be fine if we all went cueball, got wigs, and became the happy chicks we used to be?

Would love to hear others' views on this. Discuss. :)

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
TOTALLY OBSESSED

Yep, I'm totally obsessed. My husband doesn't talk about it much, even when I bring it up. Once he said, "My hair's getting thinner too.." as if somehow that was equal to my losing mine. Which I don't think it is. I think it is more acceptable and physiologically normal for men to lose their hair. Plus, he's 6 years older than me!

He claims my having no hair won't change anything. But it does. Because I don't feel like me anymore. So, I guess in many ways I don't act like me anymore. Maybe he would prefer I shave it off and get on with things. I don't know how my kids will react either. Teens seem embarrassed by their families without good reason as it is.... but having a bald mom can't help.

In fact, my 8 yo (who loves to be dramatic and role play) was pretending at dinner the other night, that he had been transported to a different family and we were his step family.. and kept saying very theatrically that he wanted to be back at home with his own family. Said he didn't want this bald stepmother, but wanted his real mother back.

THAT hurt.. whether he intended it to or not. Because that just confirmed for me that my kids are bothered and embarrassed by this too.

Would they all like the old me back?? YES! So would I.... hair and all please. I can't imagine them feeling the same about me hair or not. Because I don't feel the same about me. :cry:

Julie

CurlyFries

Reaction score
I will give you a man's perspective (and don't be surprised if it matches your own experience as a woman - cuase it's really more about being human):

Perhaps when we are dating we are more focused on the superficial - in ourselves as well as our mate. That is why its called the honeymoon period - because we are all running around posturing ourselves, trying to be liked (pleasure) trying not to be rejected (pain). It is inherently more superficially based and focuses on things like "do I look good".

But love is different (real-istic love that is). Our hearts open and we see the innocent child in the face of our mate. And the vulnerabilities (e.g. fears, insecurities, and hairloss) become beautiful parts of the individual because they are exactly that - vulnerabilities. And when we are vulnerable we are exposed and open, and that makes us attractive. And you won't find a spiritual or "good" guy around that doesn't respond to that energy by protecting his mate (very much like animals - alpha males).

So trust that when you feel your most insecure, looking back at are the eyes of love, committed to protecting you and seeing your inherent beauty - both inside and out.

The more difficult part of it all and perhaps the greatest spiritual challenge of all is to bring that same quality of kindness to ourselves. Because it truly is an issue of self-loving-kindness rather than other-loving-kindness. When we can accomplish this great task, then we will see our own beauty and will recognize the beauty that others already see in ourselves.

Blessings to you one and all.

bombscience

Reaction score
CurlyFries said:
I will give you a man's perspective (and don't be surprised if it matches your own experience as a woman - cuase it's really more about being human):

Perhaps when we are dating we are more focused on the superficial - in ourselves as well as our mate. That is why its called the honeymoon period - because we are all running around posturing ourselves, trying to be liked (pleasure) trying not to be rejected (pain). It is inherently more superficially based and focuses on things like "do I look good".

But love is different (real-istic love that is). Our hearts open and we see the innocent child in the face of our mate. And the vulnerabilities (e.g. fears, insecurities, and hairloss) become beautiful parts of the individual because they are exactly that - vulnerabilities. And when we are vulnerable we are exposed and open, and that makes us attractive. And you won't find a spiritual or "good" guy around that doesn't respond to that energy by protecting his mate (very much like animals - alpha males).

So trust that when you feel your most insecure, looking back at are the eyes of love, committed to protecting you and seeing your inherent beauty - both inside and out.

The more difficult part of it all and perhaps the greatest spiritual challenge of all is to bring that same quality of kindness to ourselves. Because it truly is an issue of self-loving-kindness rather than other-loving-kindness. When we can accomplish this great task, then we will see our own beauty and will recognize the beauty that others already see in ourselves.

Post of the year award.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I asked my sweetie. He said it'd wouldn't matter to him. I'm still me. Guess he loves me for me. :rockon:
I know he was very happy that I've lost 22lbs. He used to always make comments about my weight. :moon:
So, since he doesn't seem at ALL concerned about my hair, it must not matter. :love:

He notices how I obsess about it, always on the forums. But, they are a help for now. I'm sure total acceptance will happen soon: either it'll grow back, or I accept myself as I am, whatever amount of hair that may be. :hairy:

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
CurlyFries said:

Post of the year award.

AMEN to that!!