FOLLICEPT - New Growth Stimulant potentially coming in 2015

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Who are the people / scientists behind foliceot

abcdefg

Reaction score
Im just basing it off what it says that it blocks effects of T on hair which to me sounds similar to what finasteride does since DHT is just T after converted by the enzymes. It all remains to be seen though you cant predict this stuff we need to see actual human results. Until then I guess its just another snake oil regardless of what igf-1 might do.

Follicept[SUP][/SUP] is considered a cosmetic, delivering extremely small yet effective doses of IGF-1, which naturally blocks the effects of testosterone on hair follicles. This creates a positive feedback loop, so a single dose of IGF-1 will remain active for many hair follicle life cycles. It avoids the “shedding” observed with Rogaine[SUP]®[/SUP], a common complaint of its users.

Dr. Stephen Hsu, CEO of Prometheon Pharma who was from university of florida
http://www.prometheonpharma.com/steve.hsu.html

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They say they found a formula/method to send igf-1 directly to dermall pappilae and reduce systemic side effects.
If we could get their "formula" to deliver drugs diractly to dermal pappilae like by using finasteride/spironolactone/(any good anti-androgen), we could "cure(better maintainance)" it.

Dikek

Established Member
Reaction score
block effect of testosterone? So it's not a growingfactor but a complete propecia-like stuff? For many hairs cycle and no shedding. so it's a cure in theory lol?

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like a scam to me
Its a university incubator and a legit company behind it, and I don't think Devon Grimme that seems to have a pretty good career going would use his own name to publish a scam on Youtube that will be held against him for the rest of hiss career if its BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHrnNZxRL4&feature=youtu.be

...Its not a scam. More likely some over optimistic scientists, that believe too much in their own work.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Im wishful as always for something to replace propecia, but literally zero evidence it does anything so far pretty much speaks for itself.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its a university incubator and a legit company behind it, and I don't think Devon Grimme that seems to have a pretty good career going would use his own name to publish a scam on Youtube that will be held against him for the rest of hiss career if its BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHrnNZxRL4&feature=youtu.be

...Its not a scam. More likely some over optimistic scientists, that believe too much in their own work.

Exactly. This isn't going to work. Don't put your hope up guys. It's just going to fail.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
If it's a "fact" that it doesn't work, why are some people getting excited about it? A little cautious optimism never hurt anyone. If anything, you can check back in a few months and go "ah-ha! told you so!" if it makes you feel better.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The exciting thing is just that something new might come out this year. That is the exciting part of it to me, but I still feel its a little bit putting the cart before the horse. They really have nothing showing this will work at all and if we know anything about male pattern baldness we know growing hair in mice is easy but its very hard to predict what happens in people

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
Not too early to say. It's a fact. Things like this shouldn't even get attention. Unfortunately people can't think rationally but get guided by emotions so they will fall for everything and get their hopes up.

Until we find out as to whether it works or not, FOR ONCE it gives us some hope and something to be excited about. It's not as if we are introduced to "new solutions " regularly these days, it's almost extinct. So rather than trying to already predict a negative outcome, how about remaining optimistic instead. I don't know about you, but I'm on here in hope of new treatments or otherwise what's the point, we may as well all throw in the towel.

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
If this has not been posted so far: From "The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia" quote: "RESULTS: IGF-1 was up-regulated by finasteride treatment in 4 of 9 patients. Among the patients with increased IGF-1 expression, 3 of them showed moderate clinical improvement after 12 months of treatment and another patient remained unchanged. In contrast, 3 patients with decreased IGF-1 expression in the balding scalp showed clinical worsening after 12 months. The other 2 patients without noticeable change in IGF-1 expression showed either slight improvement or no change in their hair condition."

Hairismylife

Established Member
Reaction score
If this has not been posted so far: From "The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia" quote: "RESULTS: IGF-1 was up-regulated by finasteride treatment in 4 of 9 patients. Among the patients with increased IGF-1 expression, 3 of them showed moderate clinical improvement after 12 months of treatment and another patient remained unchanged. In contrast, 3 patients with decreased IGF-1 expression in the balding scalp showed clinical worsening after 12 months. The other 2 patients without noticeable change in IGF-1 expression showed either slight improvement or no change in their hair condition."

So the conclusion is IGF-1 enhances regrowth of hair to some extent.

Helios

Reaction score
I heard from guys who took creatine that they had more hairgrow. For me it did nothing more than give more hairloss, since it also increases DHT and those guys with more hairgrow didn't have those bloody sensitive androgen receptors at their follicle.
Thing is, I recently seen an article which says that creatine increase IGF-1 in muscles, so probably also in the blood. So lets hope this works.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hope this is legit. The science is here, very talented and educated scientist is behind this, so i hope this product will work very well in future. So, lets just give a chanse and see what will happen in future. If they failed i hope they will realise why they failed and try again with better formula and science.

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
The transport gel that they use to transport big molecules through the skin seems to work to, since they use it in other products as well. That gives me hope. Because even if IGF-1 doesn't work as good as expected maybe we can experiment and try mixing combinations of finasteride, minoxidil, SM, RU, CB, OC, Seti etc into the gel.

If the gel vehicle is working as they say we would just need very small doses of the active substance = cheap, and the substance will go right to the hair follicles and not systemic = no sides. That would be a life changer for most of us even if we just use existing substances. Devon Grimmes from Follicept is warning people for using minoxidil at the same time as Follicept because too much minoxidil will go through the skin, but if we lower the minoxidil dose it should be a win-win, less price-less sides.

So in my opinion we should be VERY excited about this vehicle gel, and maybe less excited about IGF-1. They probably choose IGF-1 instead of another substance with better track record in hairloss, just to avoid FDA.

LayZ

Reaction score
The transport gel that they use to transport big molecules through the skin seems to work to, since they use it in other products as well. That gives me hope. Because even if IGF-1 doesn't work as good as expected maybe we can experiment and try mixing combinations of finasteride, minoxidil, SM, RU, CB, OC, Seti etc into the gel.

If the gel vehicle is working as they say we would just need very small doses of the active substance = cheap, and the substance will go right to the hair follicles and not systemic = no sides. That would be a life changer for most of us even if we just use existing substances. Devon Grimmes from Follicept is warning people for using minoxidil at the same time as Follicept because too much minoxidil will go through the skin, but if we lower the minoxidil dose it should be a win-win, less price-less sides.

So in my opinion we should be VERY excited about this vehicle gel, and maybe less excited about IGF-1. They probably choose IGF-1 instead of another substance with better track record in hairloss, just to avoid FDA.

Yep, it's also used to drive insulin into the bloodstream w/o a needle.

They're driving an almost nil amount of a huge molecule into the skin w/o changing blood serum levels. That's the only reason they might be able to bring it to market.

And you're pondering an experiment, which may drive already cheap drugs that are readily absorbed into the bloodstream...
With possible tens/hundreds/thousands of times in efficacy...

If the vehicle is as effective as claimed, the quoted post above is why it will never reach or be pulled from the market in a very short time.

Cuz people just can't help getting excited and pulling the trigger.