Follica Microneedling Protocol Patent Disclosed

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just did my 4th session today (so that makes it 6 weeks since I started follica procedure):

- Every 2 weeks
- Needling with eBay DR pen (A7 i think)
- Needling at 1mm
- 25-30 min sessions
- Go over sections multiple times (hard to tell how many times, the pen surface is so small and I have a big head lol)

Not using minoxidil, well I am, but like 3 times a week so probaboy completely pointless.

What I've noticed:

- Flakiness; nothing too bad, but definitely seeing white dandruff like residue in hair
- Shedding more than normal (never been a huge shedder), shedding terminals too worryingly
- No improvement in cosmetic density, but a few small intermediate hairs have sprung up around the hairline

My situation:

- 37 years old (nearly 38)
- Maybe approaching NW2 at the hairline, but diffusing all over on top in NW5/6 pattern
- Losing hair for around 8 or 9 years - when it became visible anyway
- Slowly diffusing since 2011

Not very hopeful this will do anythign for me without minoxidil but will keep at it because realistically what else is there?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it take no more than 5-10 minutes to needle the scalp? 2-3passes over the same spots?

topicalthunder

My Regimen
Reaction score
There’s probably a sweet spot for this treatment, as with everything else... the Goldilocks effect. More isn’t better, they even say it themselves!

Every 2 weeks at specified density will produce results, more often is less effective. I’m also assuming a higher density is going to be less effective. Try to stick with what’s written in the patent if possible, and go from there.

It’s a shame there isn’t a pen currently out there that replicates follica’s device (though I guess then how will they ever make any money!)

wislow9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is know about Follica launch on market ¿? It was said that this procedure would be launched this year , late 2020 or 2021....
This company has been working since 2006 ... , is too long to wait for one solution = a better f*****g alternative to hair transplant
To this day it is not known if they have something ready ...

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Who cares? You can DIY with the patent explained here. I honestly don't think a "clinic" dermatologist can match the level of knowledge developed on this forum. Granted not everyone knows what they are talking about but so do most dermatologists out there.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I added Valproic Acid to the daily routine. @pegasus2 I read from your previous posts that you didn't recommend it and was curious to hear more the reason for your comments

wislow9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a GSK3B inhibitor like lithium. Follica's results were worse with lithium than without it. Maybe something to do with mTOR modulation. Given the results of Follica's study I'd go with a different type of Wnt agonist, either DKK or SFRP inhibitors. I'm about to start using both.

Do you continue with WAY in your regimen ?
So , what are you proposing ¿? a mix WAY + SM04554 ? , WAY modulate via WNT by SFRP-1 inhibition and SM modulate via WNT by Dkk-1 inhibition . I dont know if i´m right

wislow9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, SM also modulates Wnt through GSK3B inhibition. WAY-262611 inhibits DKK1/2. I am going to be using both this and WAY-316606.

Then SM is more complete in WNT modulation than both WAYS ... ¿? SM dont inhibit SFRP-1 only ¿? The inconvenient with WAY-262611 is that we dont know the exact dose to use . In SM trials the lower dose was more effective

glammetal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah they planned on commencing a phase 3 trial until June of 2020, but hey I would kill for some information

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Needling and minoxidil. Earth shattering stuff :rolleyes:

I'm gonna throw in the towel and look at booking in a hair transplant once lockdown is over. A friend had one done 6 months ago, and managed to keep it secret, I saw pictures on his facebook and it really looks good, no normal person would ever be able to tell and it's better than messing around with needles and minoxidil.

I really hoped this would be a breakthrough, but I've been doing it for over a year now and nothing. I try and delude myself that every new protocol will be the one, like I did with this follica news but i just don't feel it's that effective or a long term solution. Two months in and hair is shedding, scalp is flaky and itchy and density is slightly down.
Where did you friend go?

Jonny Craig

Established Member
Reaction score
I had an FUE hair transplant a couple of years ago, and only started microneedling about a year after and I can definitely say that it helped increase density, visually to the eye and also up close, as I used a usb microscope and noticed after 3 months of microneedling, that new thin-fine hairs were sprouting and growing from within stronger thicker transplanted hairs and likely due to the possibility the needle hit the hair graft and induced new hair(s) to form due to the better blood supply, and the possibility of new hair growth from the proximity to hair transplant hairs, so I think Follicas method in conjunction with a previous hair transplant could be very productive. Would be great to see a patient example from them regarding this to confirm it.

Interesting. I had a FUT and I've used 1.5mm dermastamp.

What size needle do you use?

Guts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Months later and only discussion of topicals and nobody sharing (at least anecdotal) results... I think this one is a bust. I’m not sure if it’s because our pens aren’t comparable to the follicas device, or they just used the best results from the best responder; but I sure as hell haven’t seen a 40% increase in hair count. Minor improvement in hairline, decrease in overall density (and tons of flakiness) leads me to believe this isn’t gonna work. I think I’ll go back to 1.5mm at this point.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Months later and only discussion of topicals and nobody sharing (at least anecdotal) results... I think this one is a bust. I’m not sure if it’s because our pens aren’t comparable to the follicas device, or they just used the best results from the best responder; but I sure as hell haven’t seen a 40% increase in hair count. Minor improvement in hairline, decrease in overall density (and tons of flakiness) leads me to believe this isn’t gonna work. I think I’ll go back to 1.5mm at this point.

Everyone responds differently to treatments. What makes it tricky is being patient enough to wait 6 months to one year.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After about 4-5 sessions, what i have noticed:

overall increase in density
decrease in sebum / greasiness
less pain/redness with each passing session.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just did my 5th 'follica' session.

Things are getting bad, losing density since 6 months ago through increased shedding, thought it was temporary but it's still going. NW6 horshoe is apparent now, but thanks to coverage and fibers I look like a fullhead, but f*** I need something quick - this follica thing is gonna be a bust lets be honest.

Dude 5 sessions mean you are doing it 2 months. Come on, even if it's sh*t you can't tell after 2 month for sure. When I started minoxidil, I saw nothing until month 4 and then I got some crazy *** regrowth.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't logged in years. Can't say I like the state of Follica's treatment right now, but hope they succeed

For anyone that's been trying to mimic the needling density, how bad does your scalp end up and how long does it last that way?

I really don't see too much of the general public looking for a 29% hair increase on average if your scalp remains bloody for a couple of days

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Haven't logged in years. Can't say I like the state of Follica's treatment right now, but hope they succeed

For anyone that's been trying to mimic the needling density, how bad does your scalp end up and how long does it last that way?

I really don't see too much of the general public looking for a 29% hair increase on average if your scalp remains bloody for a couple of days

My scalp os messed up for 4 days straight. After this I can slowly start touching it again. After 1 week it feels 100% fine again.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Millions of women are dermarolling on areas that are way more sensitive than the scalp (try below the eyelids) and there is a market for that. Not sure how different this would be.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
mf I been needling since January 2019, can't see how follica protocol is suddenly gonna improve things via a slightly different mechanism. needling is sh*t and not worth it

What do you use to needle? Do you do it until your head is raw with minoxidil?

It’s totally possible that you have only done 5 proper sessions since jan 2019 and all the other had zero effect.

It’s also possible you’re not doing the Follica protocol correctly and it’s not having any effect.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a Dr Pen A7 I think it is, was doing 20-25 min sessions going over the same area and trying to create as many wounds as possible using 0.9mm.

Looks like you were on the protocol before the protocol. Was the area bald or with vellus hair?