Follica Microneedling Protocol Patent Disclosed

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
The think I'm getting from this is we need much much much smaller needles on the derma pen. There's just no way to do 1600 per cm2 with normal derma pen size. Needles are too big.

Photon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got a big shed following the new protocol. I don't know if that's a good thing. I was comparing my progress from three weeks ago. So far I've done the heavy wounding three times, this coming Saturday is supposed to be my 4th time. I was doing .5mm daily and 1.5mm every two weeks before.

Black shirt, March 7, Blue shirt March 26.

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_194955.jpg
    IMG_20200307_194955.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20200326_102215.jpg
    IMG_20200326_102215.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 418

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I just got a big shed following the new protocol. I don't know if that's a good thing. I was comparing my progress from three weeks ago. So far I've done the heavy wounding three times, this coming Saturday is supposed to be my 4th time. I was doing .5mm daily and 1.5mm every two weeks before.

Black shirt, March 7, Blue shirt March 26.

I can't spot a difference.

Photon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@pegasus2 - How important do you think VPA is to the protocol? Personally, I don't think people will see much difference without it.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's the game I am not so good about. Determining what's a good shed or not. Are shedding hair thinning? Why do I shed thick hair too? What I visualise in the sink and then in the mirror sends me to bed with worried thinking more days than I wished.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's the game I am not so good about. Determining what's a good shed or not. Are shedding hair thinning? Why do I shed thick hair too? What I visualise in the sink and then in the mirror sends me to bed with worried thinking more days than I wished.

Temporary shedding is no indicator if a treatment is working or not. Important is to check your status long term with photos. You can lose a lot of hair and status can still improve. This was the case for me for example.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is scary when you realize that follicles have about 20 cycles of growing hair before they die for good. Shedding is exhausting that limit faster.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

I have changed my protocol and, for the first time since dermarolling (which, to remind you, I have done for a very long time), I start seeing effects. Nothing cosmetically signficant yet, but it is definitely doing something.

My protocol is now as follows, I have been doing this for about three weeks:
  • Follica protocol once every three to four weeks. Can't do more cause I can't afford a red forehead b/c of customer-facing role. Done only one session so far.
  • Mild needling once every two days using a manual dermaroller at 1.0 mm needle length. In total 10 minutes once every two days. However, I take care to also roll at least 2 cm into healthy areas (just like in the Follica protocol) to hopefully trigger the quroum sensing which seems to be activated by HEALTHY follicles or their surroundings, not by dead/damaged follicles or their surroundings. I think needling into adjacent healthy/non-bald(ing) areas plays a role.
  • Still daily 5% minoxidil
A couple of days ago I checked my hairline and it is gaining density. New terminal hairs started growing exactly on the hairline. Underneath the hairline, so on my bald temples, I am starting to see vellus hairs. This is the first time in years of use of minoxidil that I am starting to see vellus hairs on my bald, NW3/NW4 temples.

Will these vellus hairs turn terminal to actually lower my heavily receded hairline to help me cosmetically? I don't know. But the hairline is filling in and I get vellus hairs where I didn't have any for years, even with my previous "normal" needling.

tl;dr: Follica protocol every few weeks + adjusted manual needling every two days is showing some effect, which normal needling has not.

platelets

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

I have changed my protocol and, for the first time since dermarolling (which, to remind you, I have done for a very long time), I start seeing effects. Nothing cosmetically signficant yet, but it is definitely doing something.

• Follica protocol once every three to four weeks. Can't do more cause I can't afford a red forehead b/c of customer-facing role. Done only one session so far.
  • Mild needling once every two days using a manual dermaroller at 1.0 mm needle length. In total 10 minutes once every two days. However, I take care to also roll at least 2 cm into healthy areas (just like in the Follica protocol) to hopefully trigger the quroum sensing which seems to be activated by HEALTHY follicles or their surroundings, not by dead/damaged follicles or their surroundings. I think needling into adjacent healthy/non-bald(ing) areas plays a role.
A couple of days ago I checked my hairline and it is gaining density. New terminal hairs started growing exactly on the hairline. Underneath the hairline, so on my bald temples, I am starting to see vellus hairs. This is the first time in years of use of minoxidil that I am starting to see vellus hairs on my bald, NW3/NW4 temples.

Will these vellus hairs turn terminal to actually lower my heavily receded hairline to help me cosmetically? I don't know. But the hairline is filling in and I get vellus hairs where I didn't have any for years, even with my previous "normal" needling.

tl;dr: Follica protocol every few weeks + adjusted manual needling every two days is showing some effect, which normal needling has not.
are you also on a 5-AR inhibitor like finasteride or dutasteride?

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

Thanks for posting this. Question. If your daily mild needling is at 1mm what depth are you needling once every three or four weeks.

I did my third session on Friday night. I always do it Friday night so I can look normal come Monday.

It was the first time I did it until it all felt like my scalp was on fire.

newdutuser10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:

I'm seeing the same effect.

I'm applying 10% with daily rolling or every other day on my crown and hairline and the hairline is responding so well to it and gaining density. The crown still remains a problem but I don't know it that's because it's hard to see improvement in the crown compared to the hairline. In my hairline I'm seeing those tiny hair grow bigger which makes it easier to see progress. One more thing that has helped is applying minoxidil twice a day.

The only choice I have now it to continue testing this for the next three to four months to see if this suits me better than weekly follica type needling.

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a technical reason why you dermaroll instead of needling (e. g. Derminator 2), or is it because you do it daily? Why can't you needle daily instead?

Last edited:

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Update:

If you do 10 minutes @1mm in order to NOT get redness, i'm scared to ask how much it takes to get redness lol.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you do 10 minutes @1mm in order to NOT get redness, i'm scared to ask how much it takes to get redness lol.

It now takes me about 25-30 minutes using derminator at 1mm.

I’m considering updating to something better / faster now though.