First Hair System: Feeling Nervous An Not Loving It

EddieNeedsHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,
I Just got my first hair system yesterday. It’s a stock unit 1B with a slight wave. I am half black and white with textured wavy hair. They system turned out being straight when cut in and very poofy. I look very Spanish now. My girlfriend and the hairdressers said it looks great but I guess I’m not used to it? I’m not loving it right now. I’m in college, and if someone finds out, my life is ruined. I really have no idea to style it either because it’s very dry in the morning. Please give comments and advice, I’m not sure which route I want to go right now..

Attachments

• 0A3787BB-702D-4436-AD25-C1A6DDB36F9C.jpeg
    0A3787BB-702D-4436-AD25-C1A6DDB36F9C.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 943
  • 57697E3F-851D-484C-B4EF-C3F8AE38A56E.jpeg
    57697E3F-851D-484C-B4EF-C3F8AE38A56E.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 901
  • F48BA51D-9CCF-41DC-B992-1FE7207E5510.jpeg
    F48BA51D-9CCF-41DC-B992-1FE7207E5510.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 843
  • E1946D1E-3CAF-4962-8BD3-43D683137919.jpeg
    E1946D1E-3CAF-4962-8BD3-43D683137919.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 881
  • E3A6EDEE-D4A4-4ECE-8A67-7835498F3F0F.jpeg
    E3A6EDEE-D4A4-4ECE-8A67-7835498F3F0F.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 928

Noah

Reaction score
It looks really really good - excellent work by whoever fitted it for you. I wouldn't have a clue that it's a system, and I consider myself pretty sharp at spotting them having worn one myself for a few years. You're a handsome guy with or without hair, but I do think the hair suits you and compliments your features. The hair of the system seems to blend well with your natural sidehair - no obvious texture mismatches - so I wouldn't worry on that score.

You need to be using a leave-in conditioner with a high SPF sunscreen (30+) every day with hair that colour, to protect it from sun-bleaching. The conditioner will also help with the dryness. If it's still dry, try a little argan oil as well. Even with the sunscreen you will probably also need to use a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner once a month or so, to take out any red tones which develop in the piece from exposure to the sun.

With a hair density like that and a non-exposed hairline, I can't see any reason why anyone at college would ever discover that you are wearing. It's great that your gf knows and is supportive.

Honestly, I and others here would tell you if it didn't look good, and we wouldn't let you go out and make a laughing stock of yourself, but truly you look great. Relax and enjoy having your hair back.

EddieNeedsHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks really really good - excellent work by whoever fitted it for you. I wouldn't have a clue that it's a system, and I consider myself pretty sharp at spotting them having worn one myself for a few years. You're a handsome guy with or without hair, but I do think the hair suits you and compliments your features. The hair of the system seems to blend well with your natural sidehair - no obvious texture mismatches - so I wouldn't worry on that score.

You need to be using a leave-in conditioner with a high SPF sunscreen (30+) every day with hair that colour, to protect it from sun-bleaching. The conditioner will also help with the dryness. If it's still dry, try a little argan oil as well. Even with the sunscreen you will probably also need to use a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner once a month or so, to take out any red tones which develop in the piece from exposure to the sun.

With a hair density like that and a non-exposed hairline, I can't see any reason why anyone at college would ever discover that you are wearing. It's great that your gf knows and is supportive.

Honestly, I and others here would tell you if it didn't look good, and we wouldn't let you go out and make a laughing stock of yourself, but truly you look great. Relax and enjoy having your hair back.
Thank you sir . I’m an avid lifter and sweat a lot. I believe this is is lace and poly. How should I go about sweating and fitness? That’s a big part of my life and I can’t give it up for the hair. Any tips?

Noah

Reaction score
Thank you sir . I’m an avid lifter and sweat a lot. I believe this is is lace and poly. How should I go about sweating and fitness? That’s a big part of my life and I can’t give it up for the hair. Any tips?

It makes it easier that your gf is in on the secret, so you don't have to worry about touch so much. I would say stick to lace definitely for breathability and sweat dispersal, and get a custom unit which has a thinskin rim for tape around the back and sides, and a thinskin tape patch parallel with the hairline but about a half-inch back. That way you can put strong tape all the way around, and just the front half-inch is dependent on glue. If sweating is still a problem and you feel the system is loosening, you could try using a scalp protector (an impervious barrier liquid which you put on your scalp where the tape will be - it keeps your sweat from getting at your adhesive).

When you are at the gym you will probably notice that your real hair gets wet and sweaty more quickly than the system hair, and can make the system stand out, so take a water bottle and as soon as you start to sweat give your system a splash of water from the bottle, to keep it blended in. Also, after your workout, you don't need to shampoo the system hair each time - that will dry the hair out. Just shampoo your real hair. Just let the shower water run through the system hair and the mesh of the base. It is enough to keep the system and your scalp in good condition. System hair doesn't get dirty like real hair, because I doesn't have sebaceous glands pumping oil onto it.

One last thing: when you apply your system, give the adhesive 4 hours or so to cure before you get sweaty. Otherwise you may damage the bond and make it turn white.

Noah

EddieNeedsHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks great man, how much does it cost you and how about maintenance?
It’s pretty expensive at my salon. They’ve been doing it for 30 years in a major northeast city. So it’s 300 a month for unlimited visits and systems. I’m moving to do it myself very soon.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
WOW! it looks 100% natural. Posts like this give me hope for the day I may have to use a system.

WrldDriftR

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s pretty expensive at my salon. They’ve been doing it for 30 years in a major northeast city. So it’s 300 a month for unlimited visits and systems. I’m moving to do it myself very soon.
I just had my first consultation at a salon from a gentleman that has been doing hair systems for over 30 years and his services cost about the same, $295 a month for unlimited heigh quality custom units and unlimited visits. This seems like a pretty good value in the short term at least until I’m really comfortable. Does anyone have any additional thoughts?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just had my first consultation at a salon from a gentleman that has been doing hair systems for over 30 years and his services cost about the same, $295 a month for unlimited heigh quality custom units and unlimited visits. This seems like a pretty good value in the short term at least until I’m really comfortable. Does anyone have any additional thoughts?

30 years in the business doesn't automatically make him "good", you need to see pics of his customers. If they all have the same hairstyle or don't look natural, I would be skeptical.

Make sure the systems are truly custom, meaning you get a template made and things such as color (and color density), hair density, curl, hairline shape, knot bleaching, etc are discussed, and selected. If you are getting a stock system that he is going to "customize" for you, it's NOT worth it.

WrldDriftR

My Regimen
Reaction score
30 years in the business doesn't automatically make him "good", you need to see pics of his customers. If they all have the same hairstyle or don't look natural, I would be skeptical.

Make sure the systems are truly custom, meaning you get a template made and things such as color (and color density), hair density, curl, hairline shape, knot bleaching, etc are discussed, and selected. If you are getting a stock system that he is going to "customize" for you, it's NOT worth it.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I was able to meet and talk with two clients that had completely different styles and I never would of known they were wearing systems. I was quiet impressed! We did do a template of my head and discussed what my goals were. He showed me the hairline shape, then took pictures of my head from multiple angles. He also took a couple hair clippings for color matching. We then discussed density and bases. He told me that each unit can take up to eight weeks as they are hand made. Everything seems very on point, but I’m new at this and really have no idea. This forum is super valuable, and I thank everyone for their contributions.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the feedback! I was able to meet and talk with two clients that had completely different styles and I never would of known they were wearing systems. I was quiet impressed! We did do a template of my head and discussed what my goals were. He showed me the hairline shape, then took pictures of my head from multiple angles. He also took a couple hair clippings for color matching. We then discussed density and bases. He told me that each unit can take up to eight weeks as they are hand made. Everything seems very on point, but I’m new at this and really have no idea. This forum is super valuable, and I thank everyone for their contributions.

Sounds good. Seems legit. Good luck.

Noah

Reaction score
Agreed; that sounds like all the steps you would hope for from a professional salon. What base did you opt for?

Noah

WrldDriftR

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed; that sounds like all the steps you would hope for from a professional salon. What base did you opt for?

Noah
We decided on a lace base as I tend to sweat on my head more than other places, so we opted for breathability and I think I’ll appreciate the hairline better.

Tommo1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same concerns just the other week. Your pics look great to me, even a shaved would suit you no worries.
After I dumped a heap of conditioner in it the puffiness went down but now I have gone with a thin skin unit I feel much more comfortable, you can’t even feel it.