finasteride For 10 Years...the End Is Starting.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Just stay the course and realize that progression will happen. If it really bothers you, look into getting a transplant.

Sailing123

Reaction score
I too have been on finasteride for almost exactly (10) ten years. Jumped on when I was 25 following a large shed and very minor diffusing in what looked to be a Norwood 2 pattern. Took the medication and got on with my life. There would be occasional crises of faith but I stayed the course.

Over the last decade; Snails pace diffusing of hair in a Norwood 2 or 3 pattern. Cosmetically my hair looks pretty similar to where I started. Coverage is good and it provides camouflage but when wet and under heavy light one can see the hairs are miniaturized to varying degrees.

In the last month things have deteriorated. For the first time I believe I can see the beginning of actual recession (not just diffusion behind hairline). Scalp in male pattern baldness areas had a burning/soreness feeling to it, much like a sunburn would. I recall itching and burning back before I was on finasteride (and one brief period when I was accidentially switched by Wal-Mart to generic. I switched back to Propecia subsequently). When I upped my dosage to 1.5 or 2 mgs in a panic the burning disappeared. Psychosomatic or reduction in DHT from upping dosage stop the burning? I've seen the graph that decrease is almost negligible. Who knows.

I am now taking over 1 mg of finasteride and crossing my fingers. I wish I could find a doctor in Philadelphia region that would proscribe duasteride and I would add it (the hair surgeons in Phila. appear to be almost quackish...looking to transplant rather than starting with medications). My GP would prob look at me like I had three heads if I asked for duasteride and online I think I would have to show pictures of significant balding head to get a script. Alas, I am left with breaking pills and upping finasteride.

Last edited:

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I too have been on finasteride for almost exactly (10) ten years. Jumped on when I was 25 following a large shed and very minor diffusing in what looked to be a Norwood 2 pattern. Took the medication and got on with my life. There would be occasional crises of faith but I stayed the course.

Over the last decade; Snails pace diffusing of hair in a Norwood 2 or 3 pattern. Cosmetically my hair looks pretty similar to where I started. Coverage is good and it provides camouflage but when wet and under heavy light one can see the hairs are miniaturized to varying degrees.

In the last month things have deteriorated. For the first time I believe I can see the beginning of actual recession (not just diffusion behind hairline). Scalp in male pattern baldness areas had a burning/soreness feeling to it, much like a sunburn would. I recall itching and burning back before I was on finasteride (and one brief period when I was accidentially switched by Wal-Mart to generic. I switched back to Propecia subsequently). When I upped my dosage to 1.5 or 2 mgs in a panic the burning disappeared. Psychosomatic or reduction in DHT from upping dosage stop the burning? I've seen the graft that decrease is almost negligible. Who knows.

I am now taking over 1 mg of finasteride and crossing my fingers. I wish I could find a doctor in Philadelphia region that would proscribe duasteride and I would add it (the hair surgeons in Phila. appear to be almost quackish...looking to transplant rather than starting with medications) Alas, I am left with breaking pills and upping finasteride.

Thanks for your experience, I’m in a similar situation, good coverage normally, but slowly progressing, I’m going to see my doctor and ask for dutasteride hopefully I can get it, I don’t trust online stores tbh

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I only need it for my hairline, and if I fill it in but the hairs behind fall out that would look awkward

I understand, but you also need to understand that keeping your youthful hairline forever may just not be in the cards, at least with present options available.

If you have been progressing so slowly for 10 years already, and stay on treatments, its simply unlikely you'll go slick bald. You seem like an ideal transplant candidate in that case. However, male pattern baldness is unpredictable so one can never be too sure, but Im not really a proponent of dutasteride, and if you read more about it you will see why.

Some pictures of your hair would help assess the situation as well.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How fast is it starting to go?

did your density stay the same the last 10 years?

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand, but you also need to understand that keeping your youthful hairline forever may just not be in the cards, at least with present options available.

If you have been progressing so slowly for 10 years already, and stay on treatments, its simply unlikely you'll go slick bald. You seem like an ideal transplant candidate in that case. However, male pattern baldness is unpredictable so one can never be too sure, but Im not really a proponent of dutasteride, and if you read more about it you will see why.

Some pictures of your hair would help assess the situation as well.

Could you explain why you’re not a proponent? I’m reading about it but I’m seeing the regular finasteride side effects

I’ll post a picture shortly!

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also noticed my hair start to slowly recede again after about 7 or 8 years on finasteride. That was 7 years ago, I still have my hair. Everyone is different of course. Actually I stopped using spironolactone on my hairline because it gave me sexual side effects, but it did stop the recession. And recently I started microneedling in the past year, which has helped with density (amazing how people discover these things). I will never go on dutasteride, but I'm glad that finasteride has slowed down my male pattern baldness so that I'm able to accept it over time. Right now I'm about a Norwood 2.5 in my mid-30s.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also noticed my hair start to slowly recede again after about 7 or 8 years on finasteride. That was 7 years ago, I still have my hair. Everyone is different of course. Actually I stopped using spironolactone on my hairline because it gave me sexual side effects, but it did stop the recession. And recently I started microneedling in the past year, which has helped with density (amazing how people discover these things). I will never go on dutasteride, but I'm glad that finasteride has slowed down my male pattern baldness so that I'm able to accept it over time. Right now I'm about a Norwood 2.5 in my mid-30s.

I thought I’d be able to accept it by now, but I can’t, and it’s effecting me everyday I think about it.

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought I’d be able to accept it by now, but I can’t, and it’s effecting me everyday I think about it.
Have you thought about seeing a psychologist? Seriously, that would be a healthier option than dutasteride. I'm not an expert on the chemistry, and I'm not into fear-mongering, I would just consider it an absolutely last resort if male pattern baldness is wreaking psychological havoc that you can't otherwise handle.

Also do we know for sure that microneedling has no beneficial effect on the hairline? I've never been careful about measuring progress but it definitely looks and feels like it has helped me. If it stimulates hair follicles in the miniaturization phase, that should be a general benefit. I was already a Norwood 2.5 when I started it though and I have not been diligent about it.

OK I just noticed that you're not using minoxidil yet, or ketoconazole shampoo? Try those first.\

I keep editing this but let me just say that hairloss is extremely aggressive in my family, so a man in his mid-30s with only a Norwood 2.5 and my genetics is kind of amazing. That might be another reason I'm not that bothered by it; many men before me lived with a lot worse. But modern life is hyper-focused on youth and image in ways that previous generations didn't have to deal with.

Last edited:

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a doctor I should talk to? I got my prescription from a hair surgeon and he’s out of business now.
So I switch from finasteride to dutasteride or finasteride and dutasteride
Find a dermatologist that lists hair loss as one of their services. You may need to increase your dose. Finasteride blocks the action of enzyme 5-alpha-reductase--DHT. The 5AR--DHT happens to cause BPH in older guys. The dose recommendation for finasteride is higher for BPH than for hair loss (typically 5 mg). In my opinion, as you get older, the level and sensitivity to 5AR--DHT increases to the point at which the lower dose 1 mg will not be enough. FWIW, I am old as f*** (59), and have been on 5 mg of finasteride for the last 6 years. I had some symptoms of BPH when I started this dose. But that was fixed at 5 mg. Over the last 3 years, my hair has reversed course and I have had a lot of regrowth. I use my work ID badge photo as my guide when assessing progress, and that photo was taken 7 years ago. Also, I would take any direction by forum members with a grain of salt (yes even mine). It is highly unlikely that anyone on this forum is a physician (even though they might say they are).
So, long story I know, but I suggest that you find a derm, talk to them about an increase your finasteride dose and give a couple of years.

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unless u have no donor hair or no money, u don't have to worry in my opinion. U might reach norwood 3 or4 but going further than norwood 3-4 has been proven to be very hard on treatment, so a transplant will be an option. Besides, it might take 5-10 years before u even reach that.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Could you explain why you’re not a proponent? I’m reading about it but I’m seeing the regular finasteride side effects

I’ll post a picture shortly!

Dutasteride has a much longer half life and blocks much more DHT than finasteride. Dutasteride also inhibits both Type 1 and Type 2 5AR, whereas finasteride blocks only type 2. Type 1 is present in most tissues in the body where 5 alpha-reductase is expressed, and is the dominant form in sebaceous glands. Type 2 is the dominant isoenzyme in genital tissues, including the prostate.

I suggest you read this publication for starters: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472916/

Here are some effects observed for type 1 deficiency, albeit in rodents: https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/64/2/447

Here is a study in humans about insulin sensitivity changes on dutasteride: 5αR inhibition with dutasteride, but not finasteride, impairs peripheral (principally muscle) insulin sensitivity, and increases body fat and leptin: https://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0031/ea0031oc1.5

Last edited:

hoggle

Reaction score
Has anyone tried stopping finasteride completely for six months? Has your body permanently developed a tolerance? Also is it because you have more dht as you age?

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
10-11 years seems to be the shelf life (as far as finasteride being effective) for whatever reason it seems to become obsolete after that -- we can theorize dozens of different motives as to why that happens, but if you look around here (hairlosstalk message board) multiple users have reported the exact same thing.

This is because a lot of young guys notice a slightly maturing hairline around 20 years old and panic and jump on finasteride. In reality, it is extremely rare for someone to start balding in their 20s. It is in your early 30s that the first signs of male pattern baldness start to show for most men, which is why the drug "happens" to wear off around this time. I got a NW1.5/2 when I was 17, and it just stayed that way until 32, never even noticed it. Had these forums and social media existed back then you bet I would have got on finasteride and then jumped around the forums like a retard for 10 years explaining claiming finasteride was holding my hair.

There's a good chance OP was never balding until now, and the drugs don't work and never did, like they don't work for most people.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
This is because a lot of young guys notice a slightly maturing hairline around 20 years old and panic and jump on finasteride. In reality, it is extremely rare for someone to start balding in their 20s. It is in your early 30s that the first signs of male pattern baldness start to show for most men, which is why the drug "happens" to wear off around this time. I got a NW1.5/2 when I was 17, and it just stayed that way until 32, never even noticed it. Had these forums and social media existed back then you bet I would have got on finasteride and then jumped around the forums like a retard for 10 years explaining claiming finasteride was holding my hair.

There's a good chance OP was never balding until now, and the drugs don't work and never did, like they don't work for most people.

As someone who started going to Norwood 5 in his early twenties, this is the unfortunate truth. I've seen only a few cases of similar loss in real life, and I was at a huge college campus of fifty thousand students. I think it must have been <0.01% of cases.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
VkfOdtX.jpg