finasteride For 10 Years...the End Is Starting.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on 1mg finasteride when I was 20 for 10 years, as I looked into the mirror I noticed my hairline receded about half a cm, and then each day by a millimetre.
It looks like it’s the end of times, I’m surprised finasteride held it back for 10 years, I was hoping I would’ve been okay with it by now, but I guess when your 20, 30 seems a long ways away.

Just seeing my hair go back slowly but surely is depressing in itself.

Is there anything I can do while I have good coverage? Maybe up to 1.5mg finasteride? I already have some minor side effects so I’m worried about switching to stronger stuff...

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is about the only hope. Add in minoxidil. Maybe just add minoxidil if you don't want dutasteride.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, you stop finasteride. Dutasteride is "stronger" version of finasteride. Although you can still take both but adding dutasteride for example only once a week.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a doctor I should talk to? I got my prescription from a hair surgeon and he’s out of business now.
So I switch from finasteride to dutasteride or finasteride and dutasteride

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
10-11 years seems to be the shelf life (as far as finasteride being effective) for whatever reason it seems to become obsolete after that -- we can theorize dozens of different motives as to why that happens, but if you look around here (hairlosstalk message board) multiple users have reported the exact same thing.

Last edited:

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses, I’m considering dutasteride, I’ll tall to my family doctor, but he already doesn’t like me on finasteride.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I won’t need to take it everyday?

If you don't take it every day then take more. 1mg eod would be the same as .5mg ed. You could take it .5mg just twice a week instead of finasteride, but that defeats the purpose of switching to something stronger.

You could also try adding minoxidil and microneedling.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t mind taking it everyday, easier to track, okay thank you.
I will look research into minoxidil
My thickness is ok so needling is not need, it’s my hairline that’s receeding.

I will talk to my doctor in a two weeks when I’m back in the country, hopefully my hairline doesn’t recede too much

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t yet try dutasteride. You’re obviously a good responder to finasteride so I would increase the dose to maybe 2mg. I would be wary of completely removing 5ar from your body.
Annoyingly I can’t find the study but they gave long standing (3+ years) users of finasteride an increased dose from 1 to 1.5mg and it increased regrowth and efficacy quite significantly.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t yet try dutasteride. You’re obviously a good responder to finasteride so I would increase the dose to maybe 2mg. I would be wary of completely removing 5ar from your body.
Annoyingly I can’t find the study but they gave long standing (3+ years) users of finasteride an increased dose from 1 to 1.5mg and it increased regrowth and efficacy quite significantly.

Is dutasteride not just a stronger version?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is dutasteride not just a stronger version?

No . Finasteride inhibits predominantly type 2 5ar with a mild selectivity for 5ar type 1 . dutasteride strongly inhibits all 3 types of 5ar completely. Ideally you want to leave type 1 as untouched as possible as type 1 is found in its greatest concentration in the brain for neurosteroid production.

AlmostDone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will attempt 2mg finasteride for the rest of my trip. If it doesn’t stop the progression I will switch to dutasteride .5 everyday