Finasteride Accelerated My Hair Loss Would I Be Dumb To Try Dutasteride Now | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Finasteride Accelerated My Hair Loss Would I Be Dumb To Try Dutasteride Now

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Here is a summary of my journey:

Winter 2018- I notice first signs of very minor hair shedding in shower

Summer 2018- I go on minoxidil which shed my hair which I somewhat recovered from a few months later. Hair loss is still very minor at this point. I don't think I even had Any miniaturization, just minor shedding

Fall 2018- I start finasteride to "maintain hair" at norwood 1-1.5. i immediately start shedding hundreds and hundreds of hairs a day all over scalp. And scalp is inflamed. No crown loss before and after 3 months I develop a nice bald patch on the crown. I decided to stick with it for 6 months from the advice of you idiots telling me it is normal to shed 300 terminal hairs a day with a "hairloss drug" dropped a whole norwood on finasteride and lost tons of hair density.

May 2019- I finally give up on finasteride. Heavy Shedding subsides but i still shed about a hundred hairs a day.

Summer 2019- I was using minoxidil only. Because I was shedding less my hair slightly thickened after quitting finasteride. I maintained decent hair for 4 or 5 months.

Winter 2019/2020- I start shedding massive amounts of hair again on a minoxidil only regimine. Dropping me another norwood.

So now I am about a norwood 3 with low density. In a span of about 18 months going from norwood 1. Both temples were wiped out this winter. And I also have a burning tingly scalp itch wherever my hair is thinning now.

Should I try dutasteride or spironoctalone or is this just a lost cause seeing how bad my body upregulated itself from finasteride.

2. TomRiddle

TomRiddle Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Nobody knows how you will react to those drugs also and i don't really understand how you could possibly think that anybody here or in the world would know that. Let's say that i come and i say i had the same experience like you with finasteride and min and after switching to dutasteride, my hair grew back, how could we know if you will react the same?

Maybe you have sensitivity to that temporary and first boost of test when starting this treatment or maybe your body found a way to compensate that lack of dht and silence of the 5ar enzyme, or maybe there was some kind of increase of androgen receptors at the scalp level, but nobody knows exactly without some proper tests and knowledge...

If you are desperate enough maybe it's worth trying but you have to think it and make your own decision, not based on others experiences, at least this is my humble and sincere opinion, maybe i'm wrong and others know better...

3. Here For the Lulz

Here For the Lulz Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    No way to know for sure. Maybe the duta’s enhanced efficacy can bring you back over the miniaturization threshold, maybe it won’t. No sure thing in this game.

If you do decide to give dutasteride a whirl be prepared for the biggest shed you’ve ever seen. dutasteride, more than any other drug is infamous for this.

4. OldnBald

OldnBald Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    So you were 20 when you started noticing hair loss. Looks like somebody needs to fire up the trumpet n start playing taps. I don't anything will help you.

5. justbeconfident

justbeconfident Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Story of my life dude.

I jumped on finasteride and has been on it for 6 months now, see no results whatsoever. Only difference i shed same amount of hair on finasteride as i did before getting on it.

Havent tried minoxidil, but i think it will be same f*****g gamble for efficiency/sides.

Absoolutely fucked sh*t.

We are fucked.

6. Matt Rogers

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I really don't think I would be balding this badly if I never touched hair loss drugs. I think I would be a thick norwood 2 right now if I had never touched anything. Finasteride wrecked my hair but I almost have no choice at this point to either try dutasteride. Or somehow try a low dose tranny regimen which would probably demasculate me

7. Matt Rogers

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Noticed hairloss around 22 im turning 24 now. Looking back on it, my hair loss was so minor that I never should have hopped on finasteride

8. Matt Rogers

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    That's what I'm scared about, I can't really afford to shed any more hair or else almost my whole scalp will be visible in a diffused NW5 pattern, because that's the pattern I'm trending towards now.

Finasteride diffused shed my whole scalp (all terminal hairs) but my hair was so insanely thick at the time that nobody could tell a difference but me

9. pegasus2

pegasus2 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You were obviously right to get on finasteride when you did, you'd likely be at least a Norwood 4 now if you hadn't. Dutasteride gets a bad rap because people are afraid of it so they only take it when they become desperate. This usually means they are starting to notice the pace of their hair loss accelerating. After taking the drug it continues to accelerate because it has already started and it's too late to stop it. So then they come on here telling people dutasteride ruined their hair. Dutasteride isn't always enough to stop hair loss, especially for those who have aggressive hair loss, which just so happens to be the majority of people who try it. It does slow down the rate of loss though. Good luck.

10. Matt Rogers

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I would not be a Norwood 4 right now if it didn't take finasteride lol. I had very minor temple loss on only one temple when I started finasteride that was it no hairloss anywhere else. And I was shedding about 30 hairs a day pre finasteride. About 2 weeks into finasteride I was shedding 300 terminal hairs a day from random areas of my scalp that is not normal

11. pegasus2

pegasus2 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You're a retard if you believe that. Go ahead and drop treatments and see if your hair comes back. You'll be norwood 7 in no time.

12. Matt Rogers

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    So you think it is normal to have a bald patch on my crown and diffuse loss throughout the scalp after 6 months of finasteride use. when I didn't have that before finasteride and no signs of that happening before finasteride

13. pegasus2

pegasus2 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. For the same reasons I described that people blame dutasteride for their hair loss. You're cooling. You just don't want to admit your genes suck. If it was the finasteride and not male pattern baldness then why did it not make the hair on the sides fall out too?

14. Matt Rogers

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    parts of the sides did fall out at first on finasteride but grew back. I still have pics from last year when that happened. I know I have male pattern baldness. But it was very minor before finasteride. Finasteride caused some kind of massive hormone imbalance or caused androgen upregulation all over my scalp. There has been other people on this forum too that have documented finasteride wrecking their hair.

15. Wisemiller

Wisemiller Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    A lot of people say that finasteride/dutasteride speeds up their hair loss, but the explanation is much more simple: people just start watching their hair more once they notice balding. The most likely situation is that you are going bald and the meds are not doing a good job, like they don't do a good job for most people.

If you even think about male pattern baldness before the age of 25, you are going to live the majority of your life as a bald man and there is no medication available to stop that, unless you get a transplant, in which case you will live the majority of your life as a balding man.

pegasus2 likes this.
  16. pegasus2

pegasus2 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Finasteride doesn't cause androgen upregulation. It increases testosterone slightly because it's no longer being converted into DHT which is far worse than testosterone, so that's a good thing. Funny the hairs on the side grew back, but you kept balding on the top. Probably because you were balding anyways. I suggest you make an appointment with a dermatologist to get some sound medical advice. Do me a favor and film it when you tell the doctor that finasteride caused your male patten baldness. I want to see his face when he laughs you out of his office.

17. OldnBald

OldnBald Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    The video game chair scientists on here would disagree with you.

18. NorwoodingMyWay

NorwoodingMyWay Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I have to disagree. dutasteride caused me Androgen Receptor upregulations, coupled with an increased T levels. My hair was very slowly stabilizing, but i was more oily than ever + libido was higher + semen was thicker + the worst acne i ever got in my life started showing up (cysts). If DHT didn't cause me all this before i started dutasteride, then how the hell is the 20% increase in T (which is 3-5 times weaker than DHT) would cause me all this androgenicity ???

What's more, taking CPA reversed every androgen-related side effect. So to be bluntly real with you, Androgen Receptor upregulation does in fact happen with 5ARIs.

19. justbeconfident

justbeconfident Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Whats CPA?

20. NorwoodingMyWay

NorwoodingMyWay Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    A medication you should never touch if you value your male sex life.